BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-12-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Tracy - bummer news, I'm sorry.  Sending good vibes your way.  Have no job to offer, Jeff would probably really like me to have one!

Still jealous of all the Vegas peeps.....looked like so much fun!

I'm doing Big Sur this year....will keep you posted!  Would come cheer for you all in 2012!!

Tomorrow I'm heading north to Portland for a wedding.  Looks like it's raining harder there than here.  Dang.  However, I do have a new dress and killer new shoes, should be fun.

Jeez, it is raining HARD here.....not supposed to rain in California!!

2010-12-08 8:24 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
3 seconds prior to launch....

(john.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
john.jpg (99KB - 10 downloads)
2010-12-09 2:48 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
I am curious if anyone know of a good compression for the quads? Will it help reduce the muscle soreness?

After Vegas Half, my quads were hurting really bad, but I massaged it, stretched it a little  (not too much though), it took about two days for the pain to subside. I wore my tight shorts with Under Armour Compression short (although, it feels a little too stretchy), for the first two days, and I don't think it helped.

I've felt this pain before (although not for two days) when I first started running, and since then I haven't felt anything like it.

Will compression help with this?  Everything else on my body wasn't hurt at all.  Should I get compression PANTS or just shorts?   Usually after a hard ride or hard run, it's my quads that gets slightly sore for a couple hours (~1 to 2 hours) then I'm fully recovered. 

This is some good investment, but I'm not sure exactly what I should get.  Calves, sleeves, socks, pants, shorts...there's so many choices!
2010-12-09 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3242301

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-09 2:48 AM I am curious if anyone know of a good compression for the quads? Will it help reduce the muscle soreness?

After Vegas Half, my quads were hurting really bad, but I massaged it, stretched it a little  (not too much though), it took about two days for the pain to subside. I wore my tight shorts with Under Armour Compression short (although, it feels a little too stretchy), for the first two days, and I don't think it helped.

I've felt this pain before (although not for two days) when I first started running, and since then I haven't felt anything like it.

Will compression help with this?  Everything else on my body wasn't hurt at all.  Should I get compression PANTS or just shorts?   Usually after a hard ride or hard run, it's my quads that gets slightly sore for a couple hours (~1 to 2 hours) then I'm fully recovered. 

This is some good investment, but I'm not sure exactly what I should get.  Calves, sleeves, socks, pants, shorts...there's so many choices!

Compression is one part of the recovery equation I use.  Right after the race, I keep walking for a while and then try to elevate my legs to get blood flow redistributed while drinking my recovery beverage (chocolate milk) if my gut allows it.  THEN... the best bet is to get in an ice bath with baking soda/epsom salts (melt in a little warm water first).  If the thought of ice freaks you out, just cold water.   15 mins....drink hot tea, read a magazine and settle in....then slip on compression tights and once my body is re-warmed I will do some light stretching (LIGHT).

You're bound to have some soreness (Twin is a freak and weighs a little more than a feather) because you have tiny little micro tears in your muscles.  The quads often take the worst beating.  The more you run, the more your form improves and the more you follow some recovery protocol, the less you will notice it.
2010-12-09 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

What is that pile of food in the picture above?

2010-12-09 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3242458

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-12-09 9:09 AM

"Andy's sage fried chicken w/ fresh spinach, hardwood smoked bacon, market tomato, griddled mozzarella, chipotle cream and scrambled eggs served on a fresh split biscuit with griddled mashed potatoes"

hash house menu

2010-12-09 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
IRONMAN inspiration of the day.

http://www.vimeo.com/17628121
2010-12-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3242478

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-09 9:19 AM

"Andy's sage fried chicken w/ fresh spinach, hardwood smoked bacon, market tomato, griddled mozzarella, chipotle cream and scrambled eggs served on a fresh split biscuit with griddled mashed potatoes"

hash house menu

I think I'm in love...

Breakfast might be my favorite meal of the day.
2010-12-09 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3242148

User image

Extreme Veteran
TrevorC - 2010-12-08 9:24 PM 3 seconds prior to launch....

Are you talking about john or his dinner..  
2010-12-09 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Went to the podiatrist on Tuesday.  The only thing he could say is take more time off of running.  Wear inserts to start with and stretch.  Hmmmm....seems I've heard this before.  Guess these guys might be on to something or I at least need to rule it out.  I'm having a problem believing it after doing variations of this for the last two years.  The problem is finding the 5 min 6 times a day to do the stretch consistently for the rest of my life.  Basically he saying I'm not injured but very tight which in turn without stretching it out I will constantly get tendenitis.  Oh, and he said go ride your bike.  Hmm...what is that?

Hope everyone has a good one. 

2010-12-09 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
BARRY we can't see your bike!!!! 

i posted a power point in the group google acct about linking (not attaching) an image.  its for firefox but we got kyla and linda (think blonde here) through a different browser you should be able to do it if needed.    

swbkrunmg
COMMANDO!

edit... its not really the bike i want to see but all that dead grass and weeds its sitting on!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-12-09 8:58 AM

2010-12-09 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3242508

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
trying1 - 2010-12-09 7:35 AM
TrevorC - 2010-12-08 9:24 PM 3 seconds prior to launch....

Are you talking about john or his dinner..  

John. He was talking trash pretty good prior to getting on that bull. The girls all lasted longer than him.
(Thats what she said)

Tony- those portions were so huge, neither John or I could finish it.
2010-12-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3242490

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2010-12-09 9:26 AM

hash house menu

I think I'm in love...

I think I'm going to be sick!
2010-12-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3242301

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-09 3:48 AM I am curious if anyone know of a good compression for the quads? Will it help reduce the muscle soreness?

I went through something very similar after my first 10 mile race.  That was the first time I'd run that distance and could hardly walk a few days afterwards from the pain in my quads.  The best thing I did for recovery was go for a bike ride.  Nothing crazy, but forcing the blood through the muscles really helped flush out the lactic acid and aide recovery. Stay on top of your diet as well.  It looks like you've asked the right questions for compression but these are some free options.
2010-12-09 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

So I'm back in the land of the living.

My $0.02 on the LV trip.....

Had a blast. Run was okay. Michelle had a great run and she enjoyed every minute of it, and I'm very proud of her.
My run went okay for about 20 miles. Then the right wheel started to fall off,(knee), but I limped through it knowing Michelle was closing in on me.
Really liked the half course. 2nd half was overpasses, and industrial parks. blah.
Won some $$ which always helps. Factory outlet shopping got rid alot of said $$.
Had many great meals with the group, as well as 1 great night of debauchery!!!

John - same old piece of work
Jarrett - patience. Girl is made of patience.
Kelly - great Texan girl..... Not only could she eat, she could drink me under the table.
Stephen- Kelly's yes man, right? Jump, how high? HA j/k great guy and love that he loved the tables.
Kim - Wayyyy taller than Suzy!!! Ha. had a blast playing craps. Really enjoyed our time together.
Kathy - quite the slots player. Totally enjoyed meeting her. So very soft spoken.Keeps Kim's compulsive gambling in check!!
DJ- sorry we missed out on ya. I'll be in Vegas soon enough.(probably with Kim again!!!)

2010-12-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3242585

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TrevorC - 2010-12-09 9:11 AM

Had a blast. Run was okay. Michelle had a great run and she enjoyed every minute of it, and I'm very proud of her.
My run went okay for about 20 miles. Then the right wheel started to fall off,(knee), but I limped through it knowing Michelle was closing in on me.
Really liked the half course. 2nd half was overpasses, and industrial parks. blah.
Won some $$ which always helps. Factory outlet shopping got rid alot of said $$.

Kelly - great Texan girl..... Not only could she eat, she could drink me under the table.
Stephen- Kelly's yes man, right? Jump, how high? HA j/k great guy and love that he loved the tables.
Kim - Wayyyy taller than Suzy!!! Ha. had a blast playing craps. Really enjoyed our time together.
Kathy - quite the slots player. Totally enjoyed meeting her. So very soft spoken.Keeps Kim's compulsive gambling in check!!
DJ- sorry we missed out on ya. I'll be in Vegas soon enough.(probably with Kim again!!!)

I'm not coming back here for a while.  Instead of talking about Twin in reference to Suzy, just talk about Twin and her phenomonal performance.  Honestly, how much short crap can one person take and expect to still like those who spout it?  I have other characteristics don't I?

2010-12-09 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

What does that $0.02 translate into real money since I'm sure you are referring to Canadian coins?  So Suzy don't worry what Trevor says doesn't add up to much.  ;-)

And speaking of Canada, will you fellas please take back your f'in frigid cold air!!!!!!!!!!  It is too cold and windy for the mid-atlantic right now and I may have to break down for a gym membership.
2010-12-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3242922

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2010-12-09 12:25 PM

I'm not coming back here for a while.  Instead of talking about Twin in reference to Suzy, just talk about Twin and her phenomonal performance.  Honestly, how much short crap can one person take and expect to still like those who spout it?  I have other characteristics don't I?

stop being so short sighted.  of course you do. it the little things, like you're really cute butt.  and your dedication to get up in the wee hours of the morning to work out.  most of our workouts are petite compared to yours.  and the advice you give, such as a compact running stride are invaluable.  these are no slight things we take for granted.  even the nutrtion advice, such as limiting portions to pint size...  awesome!

ok,  i gotta finish lunch, i have runts for desert!  then gotta make a phone call.
2010-12-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3242338

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2010-12-09 4:16 AM
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-09 2:48 AM I am curious if anyone know of a good compression for the quads? Will it help reduce the muscle soreness?

Compression is one part of the recovery equation I use.  Right after the race, I keep walking for a while and then try to elevate my legs to get blood flow redistributed while drinking my recovery beverage (chocolate milk) if my gut allows it.  THEN... the best bet is to get in an ice bath with baking soda/epsom salts (melt in a little warm water first).  If the thought of ice freaks you out, just cold water.   15 mins....drink hot tea, read a magazine and settle in....then slip on compression tights and once my body is re-warmed I will do some light stretching (LIGHT).

You're bound to have some soreness (Twin is a freak and weighs a little more than a feather) because you have tiny little micro tears in your muscles.  The quads often take the worst beating.  The more you run, the more your form improves and the more you follow some recovery protocol, the less you will notice it.

Thanks Suzy!  I did everything right except two things - ice bath and the recovery drink.  I'm not afraid of doing the ice bath - I could dip in my very cold pool, and that'll help, but I couldn't do it after the half because I didn't go home, hence why I just left my compression shorts on. I think it has helped with "skin pain" if you know what I mean, but not much for muscular pain. 

I did walk for about 20 minutes or more, I made sure that I did that. However, I think I didn't recovery too well because as soon as got to my car, I left for Bunco with the ladies so I didn't really lay down and rest my legs/elevate them.  Next time I'll try the ice bath and rest.  I just didn't want to miss Bunco. 

I completely forgot about recovery drink - and I also drink Chocolate milk (even though my coach thinks it's wrong...it works for me). However, it just felt like I went for a very nice long run, not hard/ all out. So I was okay skipping that.

It's a little tricky because I've only been doing these sports for a year and I'm still learning on how my body recovers. 

Thanks again!  

How about using ace bandages around the quads?  I know people use calf sleeves during marathons and ironman (Suzy wore it for her run)...is it a good idea to have compression shorts for the quads or is it too restrictive for running? 

2010-12-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3242561

User image

Elite
san francisco
tahrens - 2010-12-09 7:01 AM
dalessit - 2010-12-09 9:26 AM

hash house menu

I think I'm in love...

I think I'm going to be sick!

Oh, nooooo, Tracy, I had the top picture which was the pork tenderloin eggs benedict.  Michelle and I sjared it and agreed that the sauce was delicious!!!  There was nothing sickening about it.  Well, the biscuit was a bit dry, but we were eating our protein recovery meal!  YUM! 
2010-12-09 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3242569

User image

Elite
san francisco
tahrens - 2010-12-09 7:03 AM
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-09 3:48 AM I am curious if anyone know of a good compression for the quads? Will it help reduce the muscle soreness?

I went through something very similar after my first 10 mile race.  That was the first time I'd run that distance and could hardly walk a few days afterwards from the pain in my quads.  The best thing I did for recovery was go for a bike ride.  Nothing crazy, but forcing the blood through the muscles really helped flush out the lactic acid and aide recovery. Stay on top of your diet as well.  It looks like you've asked the right questions for compression but these are some free options.

X2 on the spinning on the bike!  Really easy 30 minute ride to flush it all out and increase the blood flow is so helpful. 

And if no bike is available, walking is great (from casino to casino) and jumping up and down or dancing in circles is also acceptable.  (from the compulsive gambler)

2010-12-09 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
CQ:

You might also want to try the feet-up-the-wall yoga position after you race. (Google it).

Doug
2010-12-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3158038

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-10-18 12:12 PM
sdalessio - 2010-10-18 8:41 AM
TrevorC - 2010-10-16 9:11 PM TRAINING QUESTION

So I got my 17.38 miles run in.(or 28k) Just what was in my plan.
 The last 5k was super hard on me.

So for all you marathon vets....How do you know if you're running is  improving? Or how do you know when/if you are ready for the distance? And out of curiosity, how many calories an hour do you take in running the distance?

Honestly today, I feel like running is starting to kick my a$$. Volume is really starting to pick up, and I'm starting to get a bit concerned about being ready. I really struggled with it. I really had to push myself through it. I mean I happy getting it in today, but it was super slow. I don't know.  I really thought during the last bit of the run today about dropping down to the 1/2 in Vegas.

I think this is all pretty normal.  I recall feeling pretty sore towards the end of my long runs especially when I hit a new distance milestone.  So the first time I did 15, 17, 18, 20 miles - it hurt the last few miles but when I ran that distance again it wasn't so bad.  I also think it's good mental training b/c there will come a point in the marathon that everything is hurting.  And with your training runs, you know you can push through.

Also if you are feeling beat up take care of the body.  Massages, compression socks, ice baths (or go sit in the snow - it's snowing now if your world, right ;-) ), etc.  I also use this goofy stretch/yoga pose after my ice baths.  Not sure if it did that much good but it sure felt good.

Lay on the floor facing a wall, move your bottom as close to the point where the wall and the floor meet and put your legs straight up the wall so your body is in a "L" shape, flex toes.  It felt good on my back and on the legs.

x2!! I spend a LONG time in this position after long runs. I stretch the hammies, make my legs into a V and get the groin area, cross one leg over the other to get the glute, do a pigeon, curl up legs and twist from side to side... It feels sooooo good to put your legs up on the wall after a long run!!  (This is me after 24 miles...)

:-)
2010-12-09 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Eat??? Kim, what are you talking about? I thought I behaved at the meal I ate with you.  Ha!  For the record.  I didn't eat all on my meal either.  Maybe a corner.  Truly, it was gluteneous to even look at it.  You could feed the homeless of Las Vegas with what people don't eat on those plates.

As for my "Yes, man" he's awesome and gets as much as he gives. Going on trips I've planned he's pretty easy going.  He will now take off every weekend till Febuary to go hunting from Fri-Sun.  It works both ways. .....although I will say he should have told me no after yesterday.  I got in a fender bender and he's still letting me get a new car tonight.  After of course, getting his own truck yesterday.  See it works.   Love both vehicles but I'm going to hate having car payments again.

BTW....AllState Insurance rocks.  I had an accident (my fault and minor, nobody hurt) at 7am and by 2pm I had a check. 

Can't wait to join up with more trips with the MG in the future.

2010-12-09 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3243187

User image

Master
Oh good grief... Me and my grimmacing face with my legs up the wall...

FWIW, my quads hurt like MoFo's after my races too. Only the quads, usually. <shrug> What sucks is that my multi-level house has stairs every which way. I'm a pretty pathetic hobbler the day or two after a race! (Not tris, though -- those don't trash my body nearly as much as stand-alone running races, go figure!)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81