BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-10-04 8:53 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

If biking was not affected, then I would at least get to T2. I have had injuries in the past and did that much. I've thought of hammering out the bike, but with the injury couldn't bring myself to actually do it, so ended biking close to normal. This is Silverman, right? Same run course as Las Vegas WC? Maybe walk 1 lap at most if you really want to see and to be out there, but I wouldn't go for the whole thing. You've done this course and this distance plenty. I wouldn't see a need to push to the end.

2014-10-04 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Sorry to hear that Marc, I was hopeful you would be able to run.  

I agree that there is no point in a DNS if you are there.  I'd probably go for option B or C - most likely B with the option of just turning in my chip if even walking sucked (or it ends up being as hot as the forecast!).  It would be interesting to see what kind of effect pushing the swim has on the bike.  Could even plan to push the swim hard and then try to stick to your planned power on the bike for the first 30 minutes or so to see if you have a harder time with it or you can just recover quickly and carry on.  Then hammer the bike!

2014-10-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

If biking was not affected, then I would at least get to T2. I have had injuries in the past and did that much. I've thought of hammering out the bike, but with the injury couldn't bring myself to actually do it, so ended biking close to normal. This is Silverman, right? Same run course as Las Vegas WC? Maybe walk 1 lap at most if you really want to see and to be out there, but I wouldn't go for the whole thing. You've done this course and this distance plenty. I wouldn't see a need to push to the end.

thanks guys

The bike course is a little different than WC. A little more time in the park which seems nicer
Swim is "nicer" but I went there yesterday and the "beach" is rough
Run is identical

The part that pisses me off, is right now it feels 100% normal. No pain, very slight titghtness.
If it improves as much between now and tomorrow as it did in the last 24hours, maybe it will be ok

I am torn. Wishful thinking ? The pessimist in me says "you couldn't run 5 minutes 2 days ago". The optimist says "yes but 3 days is a lot of time"

If it progresses between now and tomorrow I may stick to plan. Maybe divide run in 4, super slow first quarter and build until it breaks.

I will change my mind 4 times between now and then
2014-10-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

The difference in the bike course was another reason I'd likely go through at least that far.

Then, you're quite certain you won't be able to really run as a race, right? More to just get there at that point? If you really want to try I would probably walk some at first and then work in some very short and slow run sections. Even like 20-30" at first, and see how things go from there. Work into it over at least several attempts. Doubtful it's just going to just snap back all the sudden, or at least wouldn't plan on that happening. Coming back from some calf pulls, this was about all I could do at first. And was able to extend these out some within the same session and sometimes pick up the pace, though it was only from incredibly slow to very slow.

Edited by brigby1 2014-10-04 1:56 PM
2014-10-04 2:00 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag

thanks guys The bike course is a little different than WC. A little more time in the park which seems nicer Swim is "nicer" but I went there yesterday and the "beach" is rough Run is identical The part that pisses me off, is right now it feels 100% normal. No pain, very slight titghtness. If it improves as much between now and tomorrow as it did in the last 24hours, maybe it will be ok I am torn. Wishful thinking ? The pessimist in me says "you couldn't run 5 minutes 2 days ago". The optimist says "yes but 3 days is a lot of time" If it progresses between now and tomorrow I may stick to plan. Maybe divide run in 4, super slow first quarter and build until it breaks. I will change my mind 4 times between now and then

Hey Marc - I have no idea what you should do, but I can tell you exactly what I would (and did) do when faced with a similar conundrum a couple of years ago at IMLP. Due to a meniscus injury I couldn't run at all for almost three months prior. I walked a lot, and two weeks before race day I was able to add 20 minute super-easy runs a few times per week that caused no pain or inflammation. On race day the plan was to race the swim and bike as I would normally, and then set out on the run, but the MOMENT I felt anything funny in my knee I was to iIMMEDIATELY  pull the plug, walk off the course, and turn in my chip. I was 100% dedicated to that plan and would have done it without hesitation. Fortunately I was able to run every step of the way and had a great race. I train to race as fast as I can and I have raced enough that completing no longer does anything for me, and the idea of DNFing due to injury is of no concern. I would much rather DNF (if injured) and live to fight another day. If I were in your shoes without much confidence I would most likely plan on DNFing from the get-go and stick to that plan no matter how I felt - it sounds like when your leg goes it goes bad fast with no warning - not the situation I was in at all. But again, that is what I would do - I really have no idea what you should do, other than have a clear plan of action and commit to sticking with it no matter what. I just would not want to simply finish a race and then have it put me back for months from being able to even train at all.

2014-10-04 6:42 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
thanks guys

yes Ben, I am very optimistic that it will not last the duration of the run.

And I am planning it won't. It becomes a question of how far am I willing to walk.

But I will do as Rusty says. I will probably stick to a plan, back off the bike slightly to give the most chance to get as far as I can on the run

There is no chance I will hurt myself. If/when it seizes up I walk immediately. If I can stretch it out I will try again. if not, either walk or hand in my chip.

The good news is that with the heat I suspect the pace will be pretty slow.

2014-10-05 4:45 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Whatever you end up doing Marc, good luck to you and Chris!

2014-10-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Well, you would think that Chris and Marc were racing side by side based on their splits!

Chris:

swim: 31:19

Bike splits: 

11 mi 11 mi 39:34 1:14:29 16.68 mi/h
25.8 mi 14.8 mi 47:19 2:01:48 18.70 mi/h
40.5 mi 14.8 mi 48:18 2:50:06 18.32 mi/h

Marc:

swim: 31:14

Bike splits:

11 mi 11 mi 39:43 1:14:32 16.62 mi/h
25.8 mi 14.8 mi 47:22 2:01:54 18.68 mi/h
40.5 mi 14.8 mi 48:41 2:50:35 18.18 mi/h

ETA: maybe they are?  There was an AWA wave and I think Chris was going to be in that, not sure about Marc.

Edited by axteraa 2014-10-05 12:33 PM
2014-10-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I did a CX bike race today.  Let's just say the results were a bit different than last week - LOL.  Having the bike handling skills of your typical triathlete didn't do me any favors.

Lots of fun though!

2014-10-05 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

What kind of madness is that bike course?  3:09 for Chris and 3:12 for Marc.

Looks like Marc is able to run with a 7:55/mile first split.  Hope he is able to make it through the whole thing.

2014-10-05 2:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Looks like Marc is able to run with a 7:55/mile first split.  Hope he is able to make it through the whole thing.

I'm wondering what they did too. Look at the pro times, 2:25-2:29 for guys like Drew Scott and Gerlach? I think Magali Tisseyre and Lauren Goss can ride close to where I have and are over 2:40? I heard this thing called the 3 sisters was taken out for WC, but would it make things *this* hard on its own?

2014-10-05 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
thanks for following guys

The injury spasmed a few times. First 3 or so I could stretch it out, walk for 30 seconds then resume
As the race went on the became more intense. At one point I was really afraid it was game over. I could not move forward and I could barely stand. At this point I new the next one would end it.
My mind was set that if I made it to the mid point I would walk it to a finish. It seized pretty bad at 10k, slightly short but I managed to walk it off by the mid point so decided I would finish. I walked the last lap.

Very hard course.

I had a good swim. My swimming has improved this year. I swam OWS a lot this summer. I plan to continue to swim more this year
It should not have been a wetsuit swim. That water was not below 76 degrees.
Water was pretty clear. Beach rough with rocks. Maybe a 7/10.

My bike was average. I did decide to reduce my target wattage but I even struggled with that. My bike shape is not where it needs to be. I short stuff is fine but I don't have the long rides

The course is spectacular. No flats and a bit of headwind. Scenery 10/10

Run is the same as WC. 4/10

Super well organized race. The RD is obviously the best in the Biz.
2014-10-06 6:04 AM

User image

I'm wondering what they did too. Look at the pro times, 2:25-2:29 for guys like Drew Scott and Gerlach? I think Magali Tisseyre and Lauren Goss can ride close to where I have and are over 2:40? I heard this thing called the 3 sisters was taken out for WC, but would it make things *this* hard on its own?

I rode part of the course on Wednesday.  Not surprised with the bike times.  Those hills are pretty steep and the downhills are somewhat technical from what I remember, so you're limited on how much speed you can make up.  Wind and heat likely played a factor as well.  Sunday didn't seem as hot as Friday though.  Wednesday was perfect.

2014-10-06 6:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-06 8:28 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D

Marc, you need to focus on healing and recovery now :-)

Hey, anyone have experience exporting BT logs to Training peaks (going back to 2006)?

I posted this on FB and tri forum as well, just looking to see if it is possible?

I'm not a Training Peaks user, but I was thinking maybe Bryan Dunn would know if it can be done at all.  He had a lot of logs on here.

2014-10-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: spudone

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

Hey, anyone have experience exporting BT logs to Training peaks (going back to 2006)?

I posted this on FB and tri forum as well, just looking to see if it is possible?

I'm not a Training Peaks user, but I was thinking maybe Bryan Dunn would know if it can be done at all.  He had a lot of logs on here.

Pretty sure it can be done with some work

BT exports to excel
Excel allows to write some code that can invoke web services
TP has web services to populate training data.

Certainly not trivial, but someone who knows what he is doing in Excel, given the TP web service spec could probably do it

It requires a techy to do it or have done it.

There are other techie ways, but I suspect this is the easiest. You would lose all upload Garmin files. You would just have time/distance/average HR....

2014-10-06 8:52 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

Pretty sure it can be done with some work BT exports to excel Excel allows to write some code that can invoke web services TP has web services to populate training data. Certainly not trivial, but someone who knows what he is doing in Excel, given the TP web service spec could probably do it It requires a techy to do it or have done it. There are other techie ways, but I suspect this is the easiest. You would lose all upload Garmin files. You would just have time/distance/average HR....

I did some looking.  I saw some forum posts from TP staff saying to open a support ticket and then would send a sample.csv file to show what format they can import.  If you can find that (I couldn't) then you can export from BT to CSV and manipulate accordingly.

As for losing the Garmin files, that's probably true no matter what.  It doesn't seem like BT actually stores the file with the workout, it just processes it and displays the metrics.

2014-10-06 9:00 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag thanks for following guys The injury spasmed a few times. First 3 or so I could stretch it out, walk for 30 seconds then resume As the race went on the became more intense. At one point I was really afraid it was game over. I could not move forward and I could barely stand. At this point I new the next one would end it. My mind was set that if I made it to the mid point I would walk it to a finish. It seized pretty bad at 10k, slightly short but I managed to walk it off by the mid point so decided I would finish. I walked the last lap. Very hard course. I had a good swim. My swimming has improved this year. I swam OWS a lot this summer. I plan to continue to swim more this year It should not have been a wetsuit swim. That water was not below 76 degrees. Water was pretty clear. Beach rough with rocks. Maybe a 7/10. My bike was average. I did decide to reduce my target wattage but I even struggled with that. My bike shape is not where it needs to be. I short stuff is fine but I don't have the long rides The course is spectacular. No flats and a bit of headwind. Scenery 10/10 Run is the same as WC. 4/10 Super well organized race. The RD is obviously the best in the Biz.

Nice work managing what you could with the race Marc!

You've really improved on the swim, it must have felt good to see the hard work pay off in that area.  7th AG on the swim is pretty darn good!

2014-10-06 10:50 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag thanks for following guys The injury spasmed a few times. First 3 or so I could stretch it out, walk for 30 seconds then resume As the race went on the became more intense. At one point I was really afraid it was game over. I could not move forward and I could barely stand. At this point I new the next one would end it. My mind was set that if I made it to the mid point I would walk it to a finish. It seized pretty bad at 10k, slightly short but I managed to walk it off by the mid point so decided I would finish. I walked the last lap. Very hard course. I had a good swim. My swimming has improved this year. I swam OWS a lot this summer. I plan to continue to swim more this year It should not have been a wetsuit swim. That water was not below 76 degrees. Water was pretty clear. Beach rough with rocks. Maybe a 7/10. My bike was average. I did decide to reduce my target wattage but I even struggled with that. My bike shape is not where it needs to be. I short stuff is fine but I don't have the long rides The course is spectacular. No flats and a bit of headwind. Scenery 10/10 Run is the same as WC. 4/10 Super well organized race. The RD is obviously the best in the Biz.

Nice work managing what you could with the race Marc!

You've really improved on the swim, it must have felt good to see the hard work pay off in that area.  7th AG on the swim is pretty darn good!

Thanks

Yes I am happy with the swim.
There was a very brief time this summer where I was running really well. So I know that will come back
Biking is "simple". Just need to be willing to suffer. I need to learn to ride long rides. I see rides you guys do and I always say to myself, I have to do that. I did no rides above 2.5hrs this summer. Maybe 2h40....but very few of them.

So I know that if I continue to improve on the swim and everything comes together, I can be where I want to be.

But I have to solve some very fundamental issues or I will be injured in the future.

My focus is going to be ITU worlds. I will swim a lot between now and fix the problems, then rebuild the run and bike.

I think I am going to do 30,000m of kicking per week :-)

2014-10-06 12:16 PM

Thanks guys.  Considering I was about to bag the race last week, and am a bit (ok, a lot) burnt out on 2014, I am happy with the result, 35/150 + AG,  Swim?   WTF!!!!   I came out of the water and saw 31 on the clock.  For a flat water wetsuit swim????   jeeeeeez.  But then I saw the ranking, 9th AG, so not sure what's going on with that.  Top guys went 25, 26 etc., and then there seemed to be a dropoff.  I have no explanation for my time other than since SOS I've been swimming once a week? 

Bike, wow, such a great course through 45 miles.  I've ridden out here before and while it was challenging, I didn't find it all that hard.  I hammered where I could without penalty (which was exactly 2 places on the oout and back on northshore), coasted the downhills (my Hed 3 front got a little sketchy in the x winds in the canyons) and then used the (generous) uphills to sit up, drink, keep the power down, water the arms and neck.  I would have loved to break 3, and was on pace to get pretty close, but the last 5 miles is this of a false flat (with a little climb) and I really backed off to try and save the run.  No idea what the AP/NP etc is yet, haven't even looked.     My bike training isn't what it should be, I didn't need much biking for SOS so it's been a bit spotty.

Never really got hot on the bike until the very end, used arm coolers and kept them wet.  They'd dry pretty quickly in the desert tho

Started the run feeling fantastic, thinking that it could ba e great day.  I actually changed into the de soto long sleeve cooling top, and cannot recommend that highly enough for a hot run (in lo humidity).  I can honestly say I did not feel the heat at all. Granted, I was done at 1:20, so a bit before it got really hot between 2-4.  Unfortunately, keeping cool didn't help my performance    :^   The run has a lot more elevation than I figured, or at least it affected me more.  Basically miles 2-3, 6-7 and 11-12 are 2 mile uphills.  Not steep, but long.   Tried going easy the first 2 mile climb, but never really recovered my pace.    First walk occurred just after mile 5, back into the uphill, and you guys know what happens once the walks hit.....   Tried to keep it to a minimum, but they came and went.

First mile was good, last mile was good, everything in betweeen kinda sucked.

Fantastic support at the race, really great volunteers.

Only minus (and granted it's a big one) was the open roads in Lake Mead.  We were in the early AWA wave, so we had clear roads on the return part of the out and back.  The out part was VERY crowded though, even though people were told to ride single file.  The result was that we had cars coming at us in our lane.  At the out aid station where people bunched up I had no less than 4 very large trucks with trailered boats coming at me completely in my lane as I was doing 30, forcing me onto the shoulder.  Pretty scary.

2014-10-06 12:18 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Thanks Yes I am happy with the swim. There was a very brief time this summer where I was running really well. So I know that will come back Biking is "simple". Just need to be willing to suffer. I need to learn to ride long rides. I see rides you guys do and I always say to myself, I have to do that. I did no rides above 2.5hrs this summer. Maybe 2h40....but very few of them. So I know that if I continue to improve on the swim and everything comes together, I can be where I want to be. But I have to solve some very fundamental issues or I will be injured in the future. My focus is going to be ITU worlds. I will swim a lot between now and fix the problems, then rebuild the run and bike. I think I am going to do 30,000m of kicking per week :-)

To the bolded, I did a grand total of 2 rides over 2.5 hours this summer that were actual training rides (did a few longer ones with Tab where we were just out cruising at recovery pace).  One was 2:40 and another just under 3 hours.  They were both hard efforts though, no noodling around on those.  I'm not so sure you need to do a whole lot of them - doesn't hurt of course.  Unless of course you are training for Silverman and will be on the bike for 3+ hrs!

2014-10-06 12:20 PM

Master
, California

Hey guys, send Adrienne (Asalzwed) well wishes if you get a chance.  She was assaulted and unfortunately has to get surgery today to fix things up.

2014-10-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: spudone

Hey guys, send Adrienne (Asalzwed) well wishes if you get a chance.  She was assaulted and unfortunately has to get surgery today to fix things up.

Thanks Mark

2014-10-06 12:45 PM

Extreme Veteran

It would be interesting to get your CTL from Shane and compare two good races.
Your CTL was low compared to a race like Miami last year, correct ?

I did not look at my CTL for the last 3 weeks because I knew it would be really bad.
After the race I looked at it and sure enough it's at the low of off-season. My CTL has dropped all summer.
I am a strong believer that CTL is a reflection of fitness

FYI Fred, my HRV this morning is pretty bad so it seems like it does detect fatigue.
I believe this has the potential of a much better metric than TSB, but lots of playing more with it.
2014-10-06 12:54 PM

Originally posted by marcag It would be interesting to get your CTL from Shane and compare two good races. Your CTL was low compared to a race like Miami last year, correct ? I did not look at my CTL for the last 3 weeks because I knew it would be really bad. After the race I looked at it and sure enough it's at the low of off-season. My CTL has dropped all summer. I am a strong believer that CTL is a reflection of fitness FYI Fred, my HRV this morning is pretty bad so it seems like it does detect fatigue. I believe this has the potential of a much better metric than TSB, but lots of playing more with it.

Wow.    I haven't a clue what you are writing about., LOL

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38178 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73624 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.