General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2011-10-21 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

"Going Long" is, I'm sorry to say, sort of a waste of money.  I've read it twice and there's nothing in the book I haven't read on a message board or triathlon magazine article.  I mean, it's got some good general advice about each discipline, recovery, nutrition; but the book tries to cover material for the pure rookie, the intermediate athlete, and the veteran shooting for a top AG spot.  And as a result, it just tries to be too many things and misses the mark.  And as far as using it for an Ironman training plan, it attempts to teach you how to "create your own plan" and gives you some examples; but again, it just totally misses the mark for me. 

Whereas Fink gives you three distinct plans to pick from.  He is very clear and to the point.  I used the Intermediate Be Iron-fit plan and I was extremely pleased with it, and went 11:58 at my first Ironman at Placid last year.  I also did A LOT of research about training plans, and no one ever had anything bad to say about the Be Iron-Fit plan.  Everyone I've read about or spoke to has been very pleased with that plan.  I've read a few people complain the swim sessions or boring, however I really liked his swim sessions.  And he includes some Long Continuous Swims to build endurance!!!  Something some plans don't have at all. 

Again, I read 'Going Long' twice cause I really did enjoy reading it, but it's like a long triathlete magazine with entries that touch on all the facets of Ironman training.  It has great general advice, but it's lots of broad brush strokes. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-10-21 6:57 PM

2011-10-22 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
As far as training plans go what are peoples thoughts on the "Tri-Fuel 36 week plan" and the "Start to Finish Ironman Training" by Huddle & Frey?
2011-10-22 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3733846

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
drdking - 2011-10-21 7:31 PM
klassman - 2011-10-21 7:04 PM

Fink or Friel?  Friel or Fink?  Another option?

I used this book twice for IM training (Level 3 for IMFL '10 & Level 7 for IMLOU '11).  I was very happy with my training both times.  The 'codes' are a little tricky to deal with at first, but overall a great book full of multi-level training plans.

I'm going with Fink's Be Iron Fit this year for LP.  I'm just interested in trying something new and have heard great things about his book/training plans.

2011-10-23 6:21 PM

User image

I am planning on using the Trifuel 36 week training plan. Some of the swim workouts seem a little strange and I did a test week this past summer picking week 8 to do and it seemed pretty manageable. in saying that though, this is my first ironman so i could just be spitting out crap compared to what veterans might say. I also come from a running background so swimming is my weak spot.

I am more worried about nutrition as I have only done up to a marathon time wise for a single race. I have been able to get away with just 3 gu's and gatorade during them and it has worked with no cramping so anything over 3 hours is new territory nutrition wise for me.

2011-10-23 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3735162

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
TeamAndyBU - 2011-10-23 7:21 PM

I am more worried about nutrition as I have only done up to a marathon time wise for a single race. I have been able to get away with just 3 gu's and gatorade during them and it has worked with no cramping so anything over 3 hours is new territory nutrition wise for me.

That's one of the reasons why the long(5+ hour) training rides are so important. It gives you a chance to check your nutrition and try different strategies. Bonking or having GI issues during a training ride is just a minor inconvenience, having them during the race can end your day.

2011-10-25 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3735212

User image

drdking - 2011-10-23 8:24 PM
TeamAndyBU - 2011-10-23 7:21 PM

That's one of the reasons why the long(5+ hour) training rides are so important. It gives you a chance to check your nutrition and try different strategies. Bonking or having GI issues during a training ride is just a minor inconvenience, having them during the race can end your day.

X2.  And to take it a step further, after your 5+ hour training ride jump off and run for 1 hour.  Makes for a great BRICK workout, and will help you dial in your nutrition. 

This year at Lake Placid I'll be aiming for around 350 cals per hour.  I was around 450 to 500 for the first 4-hours on the bike, and I ended up with some GI issues on the back 13 miles of the run as a result. 

2011-10-25 2:10 PM

User image

p.s.  If anyone from this thread wants to see my Logs, just send me a PM and I'll add you as a friend. 

2011-10-26 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3737689

User image

Regular

John - i`m glad to hear that i`m not the only one with more than an eye on football, beer and pizza.  You have to get unfit to get fit again!  Glad you have the cycling miles up there.

In all honestly, my knee is  me off now.  Total rest and PT since IMLP then a 2 mile test run on Monday and me knee was in pain again.  MRI next week i think....  arh

On a more positive note - Wedding dates locked in for Aug 2012.  Location, of course, Lake Placid.  4 weeks or so after the race.  Brewery will host some after parties :-)

Hope everyone is avoiding injury and ready for the fun next year....

2011-10-27 7:42 AM

User image

Next week I am starting the infamous Jorge Winter Cycling Plan.  I've done the plan the last two Winters and it's brutal, but it's fun and it's free.  This plan has single-handedly turned me into a decent cyclist over the last two off-seasons.  It will also ensure come next March, when we can start riding outside, you will be ready to add endurance.  Building strength over the Winter and then turning it into endurance in the Spring is just the smartest way to prepare. 

15 weeks of fan in the face cycling, and drenching towels.  WHO'S WITH ME!!??   

Here's a pic of my Pain Cave.  Feel free to share your pics of where you'll be hibernating this Winter.

2011-10-27 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3733825

Veteran
klassman - 2011-10-21 7:04 PM

Okay, who can help out an IM rookie?

If I go the route of self-coach/build my own plan, do you recommend Don Fink or Joel Friel?  Fink has "Be Iron Fit" that comes with three training plans (30 weeks each I think) and Friel has "Going Long" and "The Triathlete's Training Bible." 

Obviously, they must all have great insights and tips.  But which one is the best for putting together a plan that will work "off the shelf?"

Background: I come to triathlon from swimming, I've done about 15 races including half a dozen HIM, the biggest training commitment I've ever made was earlier this year -- at about 5-7 hours a week, and I'm going to IMLP in '12 with the idea that I won't be anywhere near a podium but my goals are a little more ambitious than "just make it to the finish line."  It is not that I think finishing is a given, or easy, only I'd like to do that and more.

Fink or Friel?  Friel or Fink?  Another option?

Many thanks,

http://radicalimmersion.wordpress.com/

Hi Klassman,

I'm definitely not an expert in Ironman training, but I did complete Lake Placid this year and looked at Friel, Fink, and Fitzgerald (among others).

I enjoyed the self coaching aspect and reading as much as I could about different training philosophies. I skimmed "Going Long" as I began training and then mostly used it as a resource for things like technique, injury prevention, nutrition, etc rather than reading it from cover to cover. The book doesn't lay out an "off the shelf" training program from what I remember so that was out for me.

Fitzgerald's training programs are available in a book or online but I think they were all only 24 weeks and since it was my first IM I wanted something that would have a longer and more clearly defined base period to build off of.

So when I found Be Iron Fit, I liked it for a variety of reasons:

1. It was laid out in an easy to understand format... almost like an "Ironman Training for Dummies" read. The info was solid but if you wanted a more in depth understanding of the concepts, you could easily research them.

2. The book gave you 3 pre-defined training programs. I read a lot of reviews of the programs and I didn't see one that said the plans failed them. So that gave me some confidence.

3. The plans are based in time and heart rate which I liked.

I ended up choosing the Be Iron Fit Advanced program for Lake Placid and in retrospect I should have chosen the Intermediate. I peaked at my Half Ironman training race and by the time I got to race day I felt confident in my ability to complete the race but I was definitely overtrained... this is where having a coach guide you along definitely is a benefit. So that is just something to consider if this is your first IM.

But I really enjoyed the plan. I'm currently looking at a training plan for IM Saint George in May and am considering doing Be Iron Fit again (also looking at Fitzgeralds).

Hope that helps some and feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck in your training!

Ryan

2011-10-28 3:43 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Hey all, popping in here to say hi.  I'm not doing LP this year but it was my first IM last year and figured I'd chime in for those doing it for the first time.

My opinion on the training plan options out there is that there are multiple paths to the same destination.  The hardest part for me when it comes to training is not my dedication but the time I have available like most people.  The logistics of Ironman training and getting it all in CONSISTENTLY was tough.  I also have certain training philosophies that I think work and give me the highest return on investment of my time.  If you have no kids and a flexible job then yes you can train 20 hours a week and definitely go pick whatever plan you want but if you don't just make sure you are realistic in what you can consistently do.  Some plans have different approaches and higher intensity with less hours vs much lower intensity and a lot more hours.  You'll definitely see that with the bike with some plans having your sit and spin for hours and I just don't buy into that.  So, make sure you have the time and you like the workouts because you'll be doing a lot of them   If you don't buy into the plan it doesn't matter which plan you choose because you need to believe in what your doing.  If you can't follow the plan consistently then you aren't really on a plan and then it won't matter.

That's it.  I'll be back in a few years after I figure out how to run fast.  Feel free to look at my logs from all last year.  They are current from when I started about 3 years ago.  You all will have a blast. I enjoy training and will hopefully have time to train for another in a couple of years.  Until then I'm going faster and shorter I think.

2011-10-28 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3740071

User image

Regular
DC - 2 Tri bikes?  I borrow my mates Cervelo (same as yours) last year - knicknamed the battleship....
2011-10-28 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3740071

User image

Regular
Dream Chaser - 2011-10-27 8:42 AM

Next week I am starting the infamous Jorge Winter Cycling Plan.  I've done the plan the last two Winters and it's brutal, but it's fun and it's free.  This plan has single-handedly turned me into a decent cyclist over the last two off-seasons.  It will also ensure come next March, when we can start riding outside, you will be ready to add endurance.  Building strength over the Winter and then turning it into endurance in the Spring is just the smartest way to prepare. 

Okay.  I'll start with you.  I've never heard of it...but the write-up on BT about it and your comment about "brutal" both suggest that I need it.  Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to download the plan into my training log.  Is that possible if for non-paying BT members?

2011-10-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3742188

User image

blackchr05 - 2011-10-28 11:05 AMDC - 2 Tri bikes?  I borrow my mates Cervelo (same as yours) last year - knicknamed the battleship....
Yes. I started with the aluminum P2-SL. And once I fell in love with the sport, I upgraded to the carbon P2. Altogether I dropped 6k on the bike, and felt very guilty about it. So to justify the price I promised myself I wouldn't get another car for many, many years. I'm going to find out how many miles a 2007 Camry will last. I use the aluminum bike exclusively for the trainer.
2011-10-28 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3743142

User image

klassman - 2011-10-28 9:46 PM

Okay.  I'll start with you.  I've never heard of it...but the write-up on BT about it and your comment about "brutal" both suggest that I need it.  Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to download the plan into my training log.  Is that possible if for non-paying BT members?

I don't download the workouts. I just print out each week, follow it, and then upload the workout from my Garmin. Or you can just enter the workout manually. I believe it is a superbly ideal plan for the Winter. And Jorge is super knowleadgble coach. Very classy guy. And a wicked fast athlete to boot.
2011-10-28 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3743160

User image

Regular
Dream Chaser - 2011-10-28 10:06 PM
klassman - 2011-10-28 9:46 PM

Next week I am starting the infamous Jorge Winter Cycling Plan.  I've done the plan the last two Winters and it's brutal, but it's fun and it's free.  

I don't download the workouts. I just print out each week, follow it, and then upload the workout from my Garmin. Or you can just enter the workout manually. I believe it is a superbly ideal plan for the Winter. And Jorge is super knowleadgble coach. Very classy guy. And a wicked fast athlete to boot.

Okay.  I can do that.  I will start next week.  Where do you print out the workouts?  I went to the link in your post (above) and it is Jorge's site.  Along the left side are links for each week, but they don't go anywhere.  Now that I've publicly committed to this training with you...I must say I'm getting a bit scared of how very hardass it will be.  Where should I go to see week 1?

2011-10-29 4:47 AM
in reply to: #3743175

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Jorge hooked it up so you could just click on "programs" at the top of the screen and it's in there under cycling.   Hit view complete plan....

I might be hopping on this bandwagon once I finish up marathon training.  Jorge is really knowledgeable and on my short list of coaches I'd go to if I were to that route again.  I don't think he's ever posted anything that I disagree with and is always constructive.

2011-10-31 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

I have been through Jorge's whole website and all I get is links to empty pages has anyone located the workouts? I am interested but only if I know what they are.

Jeremy

Edited by triguy1043 2011-10-31 8:00 AM
2011-10-31 8:35 AM

User image

Ah ha, okay - so to get Jorge's Cycling Plan you now have to be a member of BT.  It used to be free.

NOT trying to sell anyone anything... but I haven't regretted a dime I've spent on BT Membership, it's VERY cheap for what you get compared to other sites/ and especially compared to coaching.   

2011-10-31 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

You can still print off the cycling plan for free (I just did it a couple of days ago).

Click on the "Programs" button up top, then click on "View free plans", then scroll all the way down to the bottom.  There is "winter cycling with heart rate" and "winter cycling with power", both are written by Jorge.

I'm assuming these are the cycling plans everyone talks about ~ someone please correct me if I am wrong

Edited by marathongirl11 2011-10-31 4:49 PM
2011-10-31 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3746185

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Thanks for that, I was struggleling myself in finding a way to get the plan.

I think I'm going to do this as well. Though I'm still going to be doing The Sufferfest videos just because they're so amazing painfully awesome. (You have to do one to understand what I mean)

2011-11-01 11:39 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Well, after 5 weeks of unstructured training (ie: not much at all) and a lot of traveling for work, I have officially ended last year's season and begun the next. Focus for this block will be strength/core (mostly body weight/pilate/plyometric kind of stuff), technique and volume on the swim, and LSD on the bike and run.

Last year my goals for IMLP were (in order of importance)
1) Get to the starting line healthy.
2) Finish.
3) Run the entire marathon.
4) Super-secret-unstated-out-loud goal: finish in under 12 hours.

I managed to accomplish those goals this past year despite a bike-crash-induced separated shoulder at mile 70, and admittedly thanks to unbelievably spectacular, near-perfect race conditions. Due to it being my first iron-distance race, I also kept it very conservative the entire day and finished with a good bit of gas in the tank. Despite the unexpected surprises, it was a very good day for me.

This year my goals are fairly similar:
1) Get to the starting line healthy.
2) Finish.
3) Run the entire marathon.
4) Finish in under 11 hours. ( I know, I know, It is very bad form to have time goals in IM racing, but that is what is in my head, so I just figured I would state it).

Of course a lot can happen in the 264 days between now and then as well as on race day, So I reserve the right to modify these goals at any time, but for now, that is it!

Oh, and my hamstrings are already sore from my plyometrics this morning. How are the rest of you feeling?

2011-11-01 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

well, for me, it is more simple...

just had a terrible bike crash on saturday on my way to rack the bike for Miami 70.3...

Several broken bones, stitches and 6 to 8 weeks off the training. Coach told me that it is gonna be a good thing to ensure I got some good time off and that he will make sure to build a good training plan to build after doctors gave us the GO.

At least, it is better now than in a couple of months...

Just a last thing: ALWAYS wear your helmet, cycling gloves AND Road ID... Helmet saved my life...

2011-11-01 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3747196

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
playmobil31 - 2011-11-01 12:50 PM

well, for me, it is more simple...

just had a terrible bike crash on saturday on my way to rack the bike for Miami 70.3...

Several broken bones, stitches and 6 to 8 weeks off the training. Coach told me that it is gonna be a good thing to ensure I got some good time off and that he will make sure to build a good training plan to build after doctors gave us the GO.

At least, it is better now than in a couple of months...

Just a last thing: ALWAYS wear your helmet, cycling gloves AND Road ID... Helmet saved my life...

Ugh - playmobil31 - really, really glad to hear you are OK and hopefully on the mend! There is no good time to crash, but with IM on your plate this year, you did about as well as possible...

x2 on the helmet and gloves - I did not find out until after the race, but the interior of my helmet was split in half, and without my gloves there is is NO WAY my hands would have survived well enough to get my bike repaired and going again at IMLP - as it was my fingertips were pretty cut up, but fingers and palms were mostly OK.

On your way to rack your bike? Tell more?

Sounds like you have a little time before you might need it again, but absolutely replace that helmet, no matter what it looks like.

2011-11-01 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

well, helmet is a write off. Based on the impact, I did not though 1 seconds about changing it... I took some pictures of the helmet, I'll post them when I'll get back to my place.

On saturday afternoon, I took my bike to do a quick 10 min check on my way to rack the bike in the transition area. About 800 m to the area, a slippery metallic bridge decided to play some tricks with me and my front wheel swipped away. I hit the bridge with my head and shoulders first. Left clavicle broken...

My hand hit the bridge as well and I have a very large laceration in the palm with some bones broken in the left hand and ring finger. With the gloves, I think I would have escape the laceration.

Now, it is time to take some off-training time (lucky me, I had scheduled 1 month off training already) and recover properly.

Bike is OK as well, just some few scratches on the bars and my left pedal is broken... Things could have been way worse than that...

Surprisingly, moral is very good and I think the crash is over, so let's move on and keep it rollin'

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148