BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Ugh, Monica - just ugh…  So sorry to hear all that, and so much at once.  My thoughts are with you.

As for pet food, I'll just say that Milk Bonz aren't, as I remember, all that bad… A little chalky.  Cat food?  Just stay away from the old canned stuff and you'll be fine.  

Matt

Lol - I think I've tried every colour of Milk Bone just to see if they were different flavours.  

FYI - they aren't.   

I've long wondered if different colors meant different flavors, thanks for solving a life-long question!  Woof!

They say they are on the box (or at least they used to; we don't buy them anymore).  False advertising, I say!  The dogs don't seem to care.  To them, any treat is a good treat.

2014-04-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Okay Manatees... if I could please ask for some good thoughts to go towards some good people... 

My mom emailed me on Monday night to say that she's pretty sure my dad is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, but he refuses to go to the doctor.  He got lost going around the neighbourhood last week, didn't recognize my aunt, and has had a LOT of troubles with every day vocabulary stuff.  

My best friend in the world told me last night that she's having to have emergency surgery this week because she was suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer.  

I think I might be glad that Tony will be away this weekend so that I can have all the wine & popcorn I want with only the cats at home to stare at me and try to make me feel guilty.   

Monica, I know I am a day late, but so sorry to hear all this.  I will keep you and your loved ones in my prayers.

2014-04-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
I put together some workouts for dry land swim training. I would love to get some feedback and opinions.

I am doing 3 gym workouts a week, 2 being core/upper body and 1 legs. I took some videos from a couple sources to try and put together some workouts for the various muscles. I know it is probably not perfect, but I know it will be a start. I am open to suggestions and ideas to improve the workouts, I am aiming for each workout to be 45-60 minutes.

Next week I plan to start adding some bike to my workout 2x's a week. For these I am going to be using "The Sufferfest" training videos.

Here is my log: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...
2014-04-11 12:23 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jbwills

I put together some workouts for dry land swim training. I would love to get some feedback and opinions.

I am doing 3 gym workouts a week, 2 being core/upper body and 1 legs. I took some videos from a couple sources to try and put together some workouts for the various muscles. I know it is probably not perfect, but I know it will be a start. I am open to suggestions and ideas to improve the workouts, I am aiming for each workout to be 45-60 minutes.

Next week I plan to start adding some bike to my workout 2x's a week. For these I am going to be using "The Sufferfest" training videos.

Here is my log: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...
Is there any chance of you getting hold of (or making) some swim cords?
2014-04-11 12:24 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
YAY Yesterday and today I actually got a chance to ride and run, it wasn't for long but I did get to do it.

The pups are 5 weeks old today so only 5 weeks to go now.
2014-04-11 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by jbwills

Stacey,

I have some swim cords on the way. I have one here but it is very weak. In about 2-3 weeks I should be modifying my routuine to include some more swim stroke workouts and strecngthening. I know that core and shoulders are a regular weakness of mine so figure the early stages will be conditioning and strengthening a lot of my weaknesses.

2014-04-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jbwillsI put together some workouts for dry land swim training. I would love to get some feedback and opinions. I am doing 3 gym workouts a week, 2 being core/upper body and 1 legs. I took some videos from a couple sources to try and put together some workouts for the various muscles. I know it is probably not perfect, but I know it will be a start. I am open to suggestions and ideas to improve the workouts, I am aiming for each workout to be 45-60 minutes.Next week I plan to start adding some bike to my workout 2x's a week. For these I am going to be using "The Sufferfest" training videos.Here is my log: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?... does a lot of swim cord work outs, so she should be able to give you feedback.
2014-04-11 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKYAY Yesterday and today I actually got a chance to ride and run, it wasn't for long but I did get to do it.The pups are 5 weeks old today so only 5 weeks to go now.
Yay!
2014-04-11 9:13 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK YAY Yesterday and today I actually got a chance to ride and run, it wasn't for long but I did get to do it. The pups are 5 weeks old today so only 5 weeks to go now.

That's great!!

2014-04-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Kitty update:  the surgery went great and she's coming home today.  Yay!!  The vet removed 10 "fairly large" bladder stones.  She's only 7 lbs., so she must have been pretty uncomfortable.  She was totally gorked on pain meds when I went to see her last night in the ICU but was definitely happy to see me.  She'll probably have to wear a "cone of shame" to keep her from licking her incision.  We were thinking we could use a red Solo cup instead.  I don't think she'd be amused...

Edited by laffinrock 2014-04-11 9:54 AM
2014-04-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Kitty update:  the surgery went great and she's coming home today.  Yay!!  The vet removed 10 "fairly large" stones.  She's only 7 lbs., so she must have been pretty uncomfortable.  She was totally gorked on pain meds when I went to see her last night in the ICU but was definitely happy to see me.  She'll probably have to wear a "cone of shame" to keep her from licking her incision.  We were thinking we could use a red Solo cup instead.  I don't think she'd be amused...

BAHAHA! I would want pictures . Poor thing, cone of shame. So happy she's better and it went smoothly.

2014-04-11 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jbwills I put together some workouts for dry land swim training. I would love to get some feedback and opinions. I am doing 3 gym workouts a week, 2 being core/upper body and 1 legs. I took some videos from a couple sources to try and put together some workouts for the various muscles. I know it is probably not perfect, but I know it will be a start. I am open to suggestions and ideas to improve the workouts, I am aiming for each workout to be 45-60 minutes. Next week I plan to start adding some bike to my workout 2x's a week. For these I am going to be using "The Sufferfest" training videos. Here is my log: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...

Yeah, I think that I would probably benefit from getting (and using!) swim cords as well.  I haven't bitten the bullet yet though.  I feel kind of reluctant about adding another thing to my training schedule.  I already have a hard time keeping up with things like grocery shopping and cooking!

Swim cords: The kind with handles or with paddles?  The handles ones seem more versatile.

2014-04-11 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK YAY Yesterday and today I actually got a chance to ride and run, it wasn't for long but I did get to do it. The pups are 5 weeks old today so only 5 weeks to go now.

Woo hoo!  Great news on the ride and run!

How are the puppies doing?  How's Phil?

2014-04-11 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Kitty update:  the surgery went great and she's coming home today.  Yay!!  The vet removed 10 "fairly large" bladder stones.  She's only 7 lbs., so she must have been pretty uncomfortable.  She was totally gorked on pain meds when I went to see her last night in the ICU but was definitely happy to see me.  She'll probably have to wear a "cone of shame" to keep her from licking her incision.  We were thinking we could use a red Solo cup instead.  I don't think she'd be amused...

Great news! 

Does the vet have any idea what caused the stones?  Is she on a special diet?

2014-04-11 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Kitty update:  the surgery went great and she's coming home today.  Yay!!  The vet removed 10 "fairly large" stones.  She's only 7 lbs., so she must have been pretty uncomfortable.  She was totally gorked on pain meds when I went to see her last night in the ICU but was definitely happy to see me.  She'll probably have to wear a "cone of shame" to keep her from licking her incision.  We were thinking we could use a red Solo cup instead.  I don't think she'd be amused...

BAHAHA! I would want pictures . Poor thing, cone of shame. So happy she's better and it went smoothly.

I was stuck on "gorked on pain meds" myself!

2014-04-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

April 12-13
Melanie - Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K on Saturday
Janyne - RnR Raleigh half marathon on Sunday
Lynne - Seahawks 12k

April 15 is Kate's birthday

April 17 is Yanti's Jakarta wedding (not to be confused with the Bali wedding, the Ironman wedding or the Perth wedding)

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back
Tom - lateral collateral ligament sprain in knee (improving)
Matt - left knee, plus hamstring is aggrevated
Jen - under the weather

2014-04-11 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Okay Manatees... if I could please ask for some good thoughts to go towards some good people... 

My mom emailed me on Monday night to say that she's pretty sure my dad is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, but he refuses to go to the doctor.  He got lost going around the neighbourhood last week, didn't recognize my aunt, and has had a LOT of troubles with every day vocabulary stuff.  

My best friend in the world told me last night that she's having to have emergency surgery this week because she was suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer.  

I think I might be glad that Tony will be away this weekend so that I can have all the wine & popcorn I want with only the cats at home to stare at me and try to make me feel guilty.   

Sorry to hear Monica

Oh, Tangerines. {TANGEMELONS SNUGGLES}, lots, however much and long you need. Your friend, is that Liane? In any case, light love and prayers for her.

About your dad ... well ... I've been there. It's not good no matter what, but going to the doctor can rule out and rule in possibilities, of which there are many regarding dementia. I wish you and your family much strength, creativity, and even laughter. I'm not sure anything else really helps that inevitable journey most of us take walking our parents back through childlikeness. At least we got some gross cat and dog food stories

Thanks Yantilicious, you always know how to make me feel better... snuggle in the melons always put a smile on my face   

It's the sad reality of my parents getting older, and if anyone understands this, you do.  I can only hope that I handle the upcoming struggles with as much grace and humour as you have.   

2014-04-11 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Ugh, Monica - just ugh…  So sorry to hear all that, and so much at once.  My thoughts are with you.

As for pet food, I'll just say that Milk Bonz aren't, as I remember, all that bad… A little chalky.  Cat food?  Just stay away from the old canned stuff and you'll be fine.  

Matt

Lol - I think I've tried every colour of Milk Bone just to see if they were different flavours.  

FYI - they aren't.   

I've long wondered if different colors meant different flavors, thanks for solving a life-long question!  Woof!

They say they are on the box (or at least they used to; we don't buy them anymore).  False advertising, I say!  The dogs don't seem to care.  To them, any treat is a good treat.

Totally false advertising!!  

It could also be that I couldn't really taste anything after the first one and so had no idea...  

Weirdly, one of our cats doesn't even like treats.  At all... the other one might take part of your hand if you don't move it away fast enough.  Priscilla was also chasing her tail while in the bathtub again this morning.  Furry weirdos.  

2014-04-11 10:39 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcraht

Monica, I know I am a day late, but so sorry to hear all this.  I will keep you and your loved ones in my prayers.

Thanks Kirsten   

2014-04-11 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Any more pics for us to oooooh and aaaaawwwww over???    

They're SO cute! 

2014-04-11 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

I was stuck on "gorked on pain meds" myself!

Not gonna lie, I totally snortled while reading both "gorked on pain meds" and then the visual of the solo cup put me over the edge...  good thing it's a quiet day at the office!   

2014-04-11 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

So, after removal of the stones has her weight dropped to 4 lbs?! I think I own 3 cones of shame - which should tell you how often my dog does something stupid requiring emergency surgery!

definitely need the solo cup pics

2014-04-11 11:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO PEACH MELBO!!!
GO NYNY!!!
GO WEE LASSIE!!!

Oooh, birthdays and weddings and such

Disabled list:

For the poor, poor gimps ... get better. You and your friends and family!

2014-04-11 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

April 12-13
Lynne - Seahawks 12k

April 17 is Yanti's Jakarta wedding (not to be confused with the Bali wedding, the Ironman wedding or the Perth wedding)

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back
Jen - under the weather

Go racers!

Happy birthday Kate!

Congratulations Yanti!!!

Heal/feel better everyone else!

2014-04-11 12:36 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

April 12-13
Lynne - Seahawks 12k

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back
Jen - under the weather

Yay racers!  Have fun!

Happy birthday, Kate, you tax-day baby.

Yanti, hope your wedding is everything you've hoped for.  I'm sure it'll be lovely.  Want to see pictures!

Disabled folks, heal up soon please.  Don't like worrying about you!

And one more thing: my birthday is on Sunday.  Celebrating with fun stuff all weekend starting this afternoon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63860 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27611 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16249 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99244 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.