BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Thanks for the well wishes on FB.  For those that don't know, I hit a huge pot hole on my way to work Friday and went over the bars.  Landed mostly on my right forearm and got a pretty nasty gash that required 10 or 11 stitches.  The ER doc was having me test mobility in my elbow and wrist and said the tendon looked to avoid damage because he could see it moving.  Didn't hit my head at all and slid on my backpack which limited my road rash to almost none.

Right now my elbow is still stiff, swollen and a little tender.  Right knee is also a little stiff.  Probably won't be doing any workouts for a few more days, but it could have been far worse.  Somehow managed any injury to my AC joint in my shoulder or simply just breaking my collar bone.

Other than some scrapes on the hoods, the bike is okay.

2015-01-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N

Thanks for the well wishes on FB.  For those that don't know, I hit a huge pot hole on my way to work Friday and went over the bars.  Landed mostly on my right forearm and got a pretty nasty gash that required 10 or 11 stitches.  The ER doc was having me test mobility in my elbow and wrist and said the tendon looked to avoid damage because he could see it moving.  Didn't hit my head at all and slid on my backpack which limited my road rash to almost none.

Right now my elbow is still stiff, swollen and a little tender.  Right knee is also a little stiff.  Probably won't be doing any workouts for a few more days, but it could have been far worse.  Somehow managed any injury to my AC joint in my shoulder or simply just breaking my collar bone.

Ouch!!  Glad you're okay Jason (for the most part).   Hope you're going again quickly, but take the time and heal properly.

2015-01-12 1:09 PM

User image

Somehow managed to avoid any injury to my AC joint in my shoulder or simply just breaking my collar bone.

fixed since I can't edit anymore.

2015-01-12 1:11 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Ouch!!  Glad you're okay Jason (for the most part).   Hope you're going again quickly, but take the time and heal properly.

Yeah...this is something I definitely don't want to get infected since it was so deep so I'm just going to rest it, make sure it stays clean, and allow the stitches to do their job properly.  It's only January, and I'm taking this as a sign that I shouldn't be trying to peak so early.  

2015-01-12 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I'm Dave, and I live in Connecticut. I'm going after my first full distance this year, and it took me a while to find this thread again.
2015-01-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Welcome back Dave.

I did send a PM to Ron last week to have us go live, but I guess he didn't see it.  I'll send it again.

2015-01-12 2:30 PM

User image

Apparently, I sent that PM to myself instead of Ron.  Hopefully now he'll move us live.  LOL

2015-01-12 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Yeah Glade you made it thru that one Jason........

2015-01-12 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by fisherman76

I'm Dave, and I live in Connecticut. I'm going after my first full distance this year, and it took me a while to find this thread again.

Yep Welcome back Dave!

Don't worrier your not the only one that will be lost. When we go live it will probable take a week for Rusty to find us again.

What Ironman are you going again?
2015-01-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
thanks guys, good to be back.

It's shaping up to be IMMD. For a short while there was an idea of doing MT instead, but the logistics of MD are just too good for me. The weather lately has made it really hard to train properly!
2015-01-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by fisherman76I'm Dave, and I live in Connecticut. I'm going after my first full distance this year, and it took me a while to find this thread again.
Yep Welcome back Dave!Don't worrier your not the only one that will be lost. When we go live it will probable take a week for Rusty to find us again.What Ironman are you going again?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

seriously, I can't wait for the group to go live - I am programmed to use email notifications to keep up with the group. This checking the thread periodically through the day is so old fashioned..... and hey Dave - welcome back!

2015-01-12 3:25 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Jason - very glad that from the sounds of it you came out of it about as well as possible. From the looks of this it could have been worse:

http://instagram.com/p/xvR4-eFw5B/

Heal up!

2015-01-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy Jason - very glad that from the sounds of it you came out of it about as well as possible. From the looks of this it could have been worse:

Heal up!

Yeah...I had seen that a couple of weeks ago and thought about that while waiting in the ER.  Drove by the scene of the accident this morning and the pothole is patched.  Unfortunately the way we patch pot holes here, it will be back to a deep hole in a few months.  

2015-01-12 3:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy Jason - very glad that from the sounds of it you came out of it about as well as possible. From the looks of this it could have been worse:

Heal up!

Yeah...I had seen that a couple of weeks ago and thought about that while waiting in the ER.  Drove by the scene of the accident this morning and the pothole is patched.  Unfortunately the way we patch pot holes here, it will be back to a deep hole in a few months.  

Glad to hear your OK Jason.   Heal up fast, someone has to crush HI dreams.

On that video, that screen grab shows it, but I didn't realize until I saw another link (saying the rider screwed up) that I saw that it was a piece of metal that was kicked up into his pedals from the front wheel and when his legs hit it utterly locked him up.   Didn't look like he even tried to avoid it. 

2015-01-12 4:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Heal up!

On that video, that screen grab shows it, but I didn't realize until I saw another link (saying the rider screwed up) that I saw that it was a piece of metal that was kicked up into his pedals from the front wheel and when his legs hit it utterly locked him up.   Didn't look like he even tried to avoid it. 

and the really crazy thing is not so much the guy that goes down - it is the guy behind him that doesn't.

2015-01-12 4:04 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by fisherman76I'm Dave, and I live in Connecticut. I'm going after my first full distance this year, and it took me a while to find this thread again.
Yep Welcome back Dave!Don't worrier your not the only one that will be lost. When we go live it will probable take a week for Rusty to find us again.What Ironman are you going again?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

seriously, I can't wait for the group to go live - I am programmed to use email notifications to keep up with the group. This checking the thread periodically through the day is so old fashioned..... and hey Dave - welcome back!

Maybe tasr will show up again too ...

2015-01-12 6:13 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Heal up!

Hard to know what the rider who went down was able to see given the rider with the camera was in front of him.  Hard to tell from the video, but it doesn't look like the bike with the camera on it moved left or right to avoid the object either.  My very first crash was due to a big stick being on the road.  First two guys in front of me were able to avoid it...but I didn't get the signal until it was too late.

2015-01-12 8:09 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

cringing a bit. glad you're mostly ok. hope you heal up quickly!

2015-01-13 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, glad to see you are not worse off, that sounds plenty nasty. I'm glad you are taking some time to heal up right.

2015-01-13 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Anyone have a good tip for not having a runny nose the day after a long pool session? I can't seem to get enough chlorine off me to not trigger an allergic reaction, no matter what I do. I've tried nose plugs, but it doesn't seem to be an issue of not getting pool water up my nose, it's an issue getting the stuff off of me.
2015-01-13 8:53 AM

Master
Northern IL

Wish I knew. All I could do was not swim in a pool.

2015-01-13 8:54 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Do you use a swim shampoo at all?  I use Ultraswim - it works pretty well but it certainly doesn't get rid of it a.  If I don't use it, I tend to get itchy later in the day (I use it like a body wash too).

2015-01-13 9:28 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I do use a shampoo - it's something my kids use called Fairy Tales for lifeguards, as two of them are on swim team:
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpp...
Seems to keep the green color from creeping in, not sure how well it's doing with smell.
I tried TriSwim, it doesn't seem to do anything except cost alot.
2015-01-13 9:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've never used that stuff (or heard of it for that matter) but I've tried the Triswim and didn't like it either.  To answer your original question, no.    I seem to have a runny nose constantly when I am training, swim, run or bike.

2015-01-13 9:56 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

We're live!

Welcome back Rusty.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).