BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-01-04 2:28 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by TXTriRook If there's room for another rookie count me in! NAME: Justin STORY: I'm a 33 year old male with a wife and 8-month old son. I currently live in Texas and am originally from Canada. In between I've spent 4 years in Boston and about 9 in NYC. I grew up playing just about every sport possible and was a college rugby player until I moved to NY and worked 20 hour days and put on about 30lbs. Since moving to TX about 3 years ago I decided trying a triathlon would be fun and ever since I've been hooked. Last year was my 1st full year of competing and I did 3 or 4 Olympic distance races and 1 1/2 Ironman. I was top 3 in my age group in all my races except for 1 Olympic where I tried a new strategy I read somewhere (probably BT ) and in the 70.3 where there were a TON of competitors in my age group. I love the sport because I can train on my own at odd hours and at age 33 still be competitive. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 son. CURRENT TRAINING: I took 2 swim lessons last year but otherwise I just train by myself. I'll also occasionally join a group ride but 95% of my training is solo. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I'd like to do at least 1 1/2 Ironman and ideally 4 (give or take) Olympic distance races this year GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I hope to meet some like minded people that share the same passion and drive as I do. I love pushing the limits of what I can do and seeing my race times drop and pushing my body to its limit has made me really passionate about triathlon. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Being completely self-trained, I've probably done 100 things wrong for every strategic thing I've done right. I always have a lot of questions and enjoy discussing the sport. To the extent I can ever provide guidance I'm always willing to chime in.

I think we've hit the limit on Texans

Well, technically we have hit the limit for Canadians in Texas.  Two is enough, right?

I thought about adding that element too. 

Canada seems to be running roughshod over us, eh? 

We really need more Florida manatees -especially since we are the home of the manatee!

If NM doesn't quit winter-ing I just might join you down there.

We Canucks are taking over!!  Justin - where in Texas are you?  

I'm such a weather wimp that I've actually suggested to Tony that if we move ANYWHERE from Austin, it'll have to be FL, because I can't handle winter anymore!  Not that I ever could, but now - definite NO to winter.  NO!  

Check Janyne's map first .  She was busting on me this weekend on FB for the demographics of my fine state. Evidently I live between Old People, really old people, inexplicable traffic (duh, old people) and Foreclosures. Come to think of it...

2016-01-04 2:30 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TXTriRook Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I would have thought Canadians (especially those living in TX) adds nothing but greatness to your group!

And you probably think that the Cowboys are "America's team" as well.  Ha!

Pfffft. Canadians I have no quibble with. They have maple syrup, and Tim Hortons, and poutine!!!

I grew up in Colorado so Texans are an invasive species, much like Californicans and tamarisk 

We've got a lot more than just maple syrup, Tim Hortons and poutine but I don't have the energy to put the "Why Canada is the Greatest Country on Earth" list together today.

Ummmm  two words...

Justin.

Bieber.

2016-01-04 2:30 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I would have thought Canadians (especially those living in TX) adds nothing but greatness to your group!

Pfffft. Canadians I have no quibble with. They have maple syrup, and Tim Hortons, and poutine!!!

I grew up in Colorado so Texans are an invasive species, much like Californicans and tamarisk 

We've got a lot more than just maple syrup, Tim Hortons and poutine but I don't have the energy to put the "Why Canada is the Greatest Country on Earth" list together today.

But if it's so great, why are you in Texas?

Gotta follow the $ (aka the best job opportunity)! Plus, no state income tax allows me to buy more training gear
2016-01-04 2:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Ummmm  two words...

Justin.

Bieber.

haha. What else can I say than: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRh_vgS2dFE
2016-01-04 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook If there's room for another rookie count me in! NAME: Justin STORY: I'm a 33 year old male with a wife and 8-month old son. I currently live in Texas and am originally from Canada. In between I've spent 4 years in Boston and about 9 in NYC. I grew up playing just about every sport possible and was a college rugby player until I moved to NY and worked 20 hour days and put on about 30lbs. Since moving to TX about 3 years ago I decided trying a triathlon would be fun and ever since I've been hooked. Last year was my 1st full year of competing and I did 3 or 4 Olympic distance races and 1 1/2 Ironman. I was top 3 in my age group in all my races except for 1 Olympic where I tried a new strategy I read somewhere (probably BT ) and in the 70.3 where there were a TON of competitors in my age group. I love the sport because I can train on my own at odd hours and at age 33 still be competitive. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 son. CURRENT TRAINING: I took 2 swim lessons last year but otherwise I just train by myself. I'll also occasionally join a group ride but 95% of my training is solo. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I'd like to do at least 1 1/2 Ironman and ideally 4 (give or take) Olympic distance races this year GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I hope to meet some like minded people that share the same passion and drive as I do. I love pushing the limits of what I can do and seeing my race times drop and pushing my body to its limit has made me really passionate about triathlon. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Being completely self-trained, I've probably done 100 things wrong for every strategic thing I've done right. I always have a lot of questions and enjoy discussing the sport. To the extent I can ever provide guidance I'm always willing to chime in.

Well, technically we have hit the limit for Canadians in Texas.  Two is enough, right?

We really need more Florida manatees -especially since we are the home of the manatee!

Does el nino make you have a crappier winter?  Ours are wetter and warmer (super warm and then extra cold and then super warm) than "normal." 

That's what "they" are blaming. All I know is that it was blizzard conditions (NM blizzard, not Colorado blizzard) here last week while New England was in the 60's!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016-01-04 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

My colleagues and I have discussed a number of times how Canada really would be the best country ever if we had some warmer weather. Even we can't fully do all the winter. 

Though, my DH has cousins who live in Thompson, Manitoba. Now that's some northern toughness. I am a southern wimp in comparison. 

Edit: actually living in Toronto i am a southern wimp to ALL Canadians ... 

Edited by juniperjen 2016-01-04 2:37 PM

2016-01-04 2:38 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

I'm such a weather wimp that I've actually suggested to Tony that if we move ANYWHERE from Austin, it'll have to be FL, because I can't handle winter anymore!  Not that I ever could, but now - definite NO to winter.  NO!  

I'm in Dallas. Where are the other Texans in this thread from? My first 70.3 was in Austin back in November. Some of the hills down there were killers!

I'm in Dallas too, or at least in the suburbs around it. I do lots of my rides over at the Texas Motor Speedway
2016-01-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by CRFTX2001

I'm in Dallas. Where are the other Texans in this thread from? My first 70.3 was in Austin back in November. Some of the hills down there were killers!
I'm in Dallas too, or at least in the suburbs around it. I do lots of my rides over at the Texas Motor Speedway

That's awesome!!!!!!!!

2016-01-04 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice!  They used to host rides at the Charlotte Motor Speedway but I haven't heard much about them recently.  I've ride on Charlotte, Rockingham and Darlington.  Those tracks are a lot rougher than you'd think watching races on TV.

2016-01-04 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice!  They used to host rides at the Charlotte Motor Speedway but I haven't heard much about them recently.  I've ride on Charlotte, Rockingham and Darlington.  Those tracks are a lot rougher than you'd think watching races on TV.

Oh that is interesting. I was picturing velodrome type stuff. 

2016-01-04 2:43 PM

User image

I don't actually ride where the races are. There is a 5 mile loop around it that is fairly popular among cyclists and is pretty much clear of cars. I can imagine that it would be hard to ride inside the speedway, though.

2016-01-04 2:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

It probably would be a lot. There might be some variation in the pant types too, though mine don't seem that heavy. I'll use them down to maybe 5-10 or so. Then underneath may have some shorts or something like tri shorts plus long smartwool socks. Like ski or snowboard type. I run better when there isn't something hold on the knees so tend to beef up the shorts some more first and then go to the tights when it's really down low. Got a feeling I might handle the cold better though.

I read the above bolded letters together and snerked....

2016-01-04 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think MiamiMan ussed to have a bit of the course on Homestead raceway.

2016-01-04 2:51 PM

User image

Master

Ummmm  two words...

Justin.

Bieber.

No, no, no.  We won the hockey game.  He's yours.

canada vs usa hockey match tomorrow loser keeps bieber

2016-01-04 2:52 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Us Texans are being invaded ourselves right now. Not often you meet a native Texas these days.
2016-01-04 2:52 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by johnthecat
Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by johnthecat
Originally posted by Jet Black

This is what I have for the roster so far.  Please feel free to correct me!

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Needs to post bio: Kevin (microdoc), Robin (ceilidh)

MIA: Yaniti, Melanie, Mary S, Monica, Laura, Tom A, Randee, Steve

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten! Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)
Sean, where do you go for your Masters? I can also second the 920. I barely got mine around Thanksgiving time and haven't gotten many swims in, but so far it's been accurate on the lap/distance count.
I swim at Memorial Athletic Club MWF mornings (5:30-7). There are TTH evening practices too, but I'm not sure what time. Good to have you aboard!
I've looked into the MAC before. We actually get a discount there from work and it's right around the corner from work, but it's too early in the morning for me to make it there. If it were to start 30 minutes later...

hahahaha!  You clearly need to work on your level of commitment.  I don't want to admit to how early I get up and I'm pretty sure Hands is on the same boat.

I guess I shouldn't tell him that I ran 3.25 miles before masters practice this morning?

2016-01-04 2:55 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Boom, roasted.
2016-01-04 3:00 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
Wow, so many new and old faces on here! I’m kind of ADD, so I had to do a book report type of exercise to make sure I read everyone’s bio’s in detail.

Jen – good luck with the home reno, that sound super stressful! Hope you can use SBR to blow off some steam!

Lisa – That is awesome that you’re cleared to swim and bike!!

Adam – Welcome aboard! My advice is definitely make a plan and stick to it for your 70.3. It’s going to take a lot of hours of training to get through that in a reasonable amount of time. I used the free plan on here last year for my first 70.3 and it was ok. It got me through with a respectable time, but I don’t feel like it had enough running in it, especially in the last 6 weeks. Good luck!

Karen – good to see the coach is pushing you! How are you liking it so far?

Judi – I’m right there with you, this group is hard to keep up with lol! My wife loves the beach body videos. She did a mix of T25 and 21 day fix for over a year, and is now doing an insanity class a couple of times a week and also just started the new Hammer/Chisel program. Good luck rebuilding the run!

Kevin – welcome! If you’re not on strava, get on there! It’s super motivating to see everyone’s workouts every day. And if you’re competitive, the manatee leader board provides extra motivation!

Tom – welcome! Our kids are the same age, fun times! I haven’t been at this long, but I feel what success I’ve had is due to planning, planning and more planning. Plan out your season, or at least decide what your A race is for the year, then build a training plan around that. Again, the free plans on this site are pretty good. Or you can use training peaks and purchase plans there.

Dicky – welcome! Good luck to you and your wife with the IVF, sending positive thoughts your way.

Dave – welcome! Those are some awesome races you have planned this year!

Stacey – you are a great manatee! Post more pics of those puppies though!

Darren – Are you going to share that cake or what? Very cool race, I’ll definitely be following along!

Laura (Daffodil) – welcome! Sounds like you have a wealth of experience, thanks for joining!

Mark – welcome! Those are some speedy HM times!

Jim – welcome to the manatees! I’m doing my first IM this year as well, good luck with all the training!

Ox – I’m similar, I usually find the time to read all the posts, but not always reply, guess that should be my new years resolution.

Ann-Marie – Cross fit?!?!! Say it ain’t so! And the 70.3……dooooooooooeeeeeeiiiiiiiitttttttttt!!!!!!

Markus – welcome fellow Houstonian! Wow, that is quite and incredible story of perseverance! Huge congrats on overcoming the illness and completing not only 1 tri but 3 last year! Well done!

Connor – welcome! That is so awesome that you didn’t listen to the Dr’s and are now kicking all kinds of butt!

Robin – Glad to hear you won’t be kicking my butt on strava all year! Hope the limb behaves this year. Sounds like if you were ever going to get it worked on again, this might be a good year for it. SQUIRL!!!!

Mary G – welcome back! That’s quite the race lineup for this year, love it!

Janyne – the lifeblood of the manatees!! You are incredible! Thank you for all you do to keep this group going and organized!

Melanie – better get that training in gear, that’s quite a race plan for the year!

Ben – hope the clavicle heals up quickly, I know you want to get out there on your bike(s)!

Monica – looking forward to kicking azz at IMTX with you!! Good luck with the training!

TJ – You had me at beer! Can’t wait for you to kick that 50k’s butt! Request for more scenery pics on strava, been missing those lately.

Chris – the other lifeblood of the manatees! Thanks for the inspires, it’s so nice for you to do that as much as you do. And you know Janyne is right! I hate swimming, well yeah, I hate swimming. But I hate it much less when doing intervals with a group. Makes the time go by much faster. And the group keeps you honest!

David A – welcome! huge congrats on the weight loss, that’s very impressive! Another first time IM’er this year, nice! That’s three of us so far I think.

Yanti – You are an animal!! (or crazy lol) That is one ridiculous race schedule! So you blame 2 short tri’s on Stacey, who the hell do you blame for the 5 IMs and 10k swim?!?!!

Justin – welcome! Another Texan, nice. And you’re not in my age group anymore (I aged up this year), so we can be friends. I’m also self-trained. Looked into a coach end of last year but it didn’t work out and I like doing my own thing anyway.
2016-01-04 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black NAME: Sean STORY: Good at math (engineer - for now, sweating more layoffs in the oil patch). I played lots of sports growing up, including summer swim team from age 5-17, but decided to stick with basketball when I got to high school. Graduated college, got fat, had a kid, realized I got fat, started getting active. Saw a local triathlon in my neighborhood in fall of 2014 and said to myself "I can do this!", then went home and told my wife I was going to do an Ironman. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys ages 3 & 5, & a 9 year old black lab. CURRENT TRAINING: LOTS. Just started base 2 of 3 (then 2 builds) for IMTX. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMTX, will probably do an olympic leading up to IMTX. Will probably take a break then do some sprints in the fall. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Would like to lose 5 lbs of fat before IMTX, the heat can be real. Stretch goal is sub 11 hrs, will be disappointed if I don't break 12. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have an obsessive/compulsive personality!

Kirsten, this is the one that made me snerk...

2016-01-04 3:04 PM

User image

Awesome news Thanks for the heads up...
2016-01-04 3:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by Lighttower I have a quick question. Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

I have a 920XT but I actually use an old Garmin Swim in the pool.  The Vivoactive might work but I'm not sure that it has a swim drill mode.

We have a Manatee Strava group.  Let Chris or me know and we can add you. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6017648

Coul I be added please?

2016-01-04 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, so many new and old faces on here! I’m kind of ADD, so I had to do a book report type of exercise to make sure I read everyone’s bio’s in detail. Jen – good luck with the home reno, that sound super stressful! Hope you can use SBR to blow off some steam! Lisa – That is awesome that you’re cleared to swim and bike!! Adam – Welcome aboard! My advice is definitely make a plan and stick to it for your 70.3. It’s going to take a lot of hours of training to get through that in a reasonable amount of time. I used the free plan on here last year for my first 70.3 and it was ok. It got me through with a respectable time, but I don’t feel like it had enough running in it, especially in the last 6 weeks. Good luck! Karen – good to see the coach is pushing you! How are you liking it so far? Judi – I’m right there with you, this group is hard to keep up with lol! My wife loves the beach body videos. She did a mix of T25 and 21 day fix for over a year, and is now doing an insanity class a couple of times a week and also just started the new Hammer/Chisel program. Good luck rebuilding the run! Kevin – welcome! If you’re not on strava, get on there! It’s super motivating to see everyone’s workouts every day. And if you’re competitive, the manatee leader board provides extra motivation! Tom – welcome! Our kids are the same age, fun times! I haven’t been at this long, but I feel what success I’ve had is due to planning, planning and more planning. Plan out your season, or at least decide what your A race is for the year, then build a training plan around that. Again, the free plans on this site are pretty good. Or you can use training peaks and purchase plans there. Dicky – welcome! Good luck to you and your wife with the IVF, sending positive thoughts your way. Dave – welcome! Those are some awesome races you have planned this year! Stacey – you are a great manatee! Post more pics of those puppies though! Darren – Are you going to share that cake or what? Very cool race, I’ll definitely be following along! Laura (Daffodil) – welcome! Sounds like you have a wealth of experience, thanks for joining! Mark – welcome! Those are some speedy HM times! Jim – welcome to the manatees! I’m doing my first IM this year as well, good luck with all the training! Ox – I’m similar, I usually find the time to read all the posts, but not always reply, guess that should be my new years resolution. Ann-Marie – Cross fit?!?!! Say it ain’t so! And the 70.3……dooooooooooeeeeeeiiiiiiiitttttttttt!!!!!! Markus – welcome fellow Houstonian! Wow, that is quite and incredible story of perseverance! Huge congrats on overcoming the illness and completing not only 1 tri but 3 last year! Well done! Connor – welcome! That is so awesome that you didn’t listen to the Dr’s and are now kicking all kinds of butt! Robin – Glad to hear you won’t be kicking my butt on strava all year! Hope the limb behaves this year. Sounds like if you were ever going to get it worked on again, this might be a good year for it. SQUIRL!!!! Mary G – welcome back! That’s quite the race lineup for this year, love it! Janyne – the lifeblood of the manatees!! You are incredible! Thank you for all you do to keep this group going and organized! Melanie – better get that training in gear, that’s quite a race plan for the year! Ben – hope the clavicle heals up quickly, I know you want to get out there on your bike(s)! Monica – looking forward to kicking azz at IMTX with you!! Good luck with the training! TJ – You had me at beer! Can’t wait for you to kick that 50k’s butt! Request for more scenery pics on strava, been missing those lately. Chris – the other lifeblood of the manatees! Thanks for the inspires, it’s so nice for you to do that as much as you do. And you know Janyne is right! I hate swimming, well yeah, I hate swimming. But I hate it much less when doing intervals with a group. Makes the time go by much faster. And the group keeps you honest! David A – welcome! huge congrats on the weight loss, that’s very impressive! Another first time IM’er this year, nice! That’s three of us so far I think. Yanti – You are an animal!! (or crazy lol) That is one ridiculous race schedule! So you blame 2 short tri’s on Stacey, who the hell do you blame for the 5 IMs and 10k swim?!?!! Justin – welcome! Another Texan, nice. And you’re not in my age group anymore (I aged up this year), so we can be friends. I’m also self-trained. Looked into a coach end of last year but it didn’t work out and I like doing my own thing anyway.

Great summary Sean!!!!!!!!

2016-01-04 3:07 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Jet Black NAME: Sean STORY: Good at math (engineer - for now, sweating more layoffs in the oil patch). I played lots of sports growing up, including summer swim team from age 5-17, but decided to stick with basketball when I got to high school. Graduated college, got fat, had a kid, realized I got fat, started getting active. Saw a local triathlon in my neighborhood in fall of 2014 and said to myself "I can do this!", then went home and told my wife I was going to do an Ironman. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys ages 3 & 5, & a 9 year old black lab. CURRENT TRAINING: LOTS. Just started base 2 of 3 (then 2 builds) for IMTX. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: IMTX, will probably do an olympic leading up to IMTX. Will probably take a break then do some sprints in the fall. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Would like to lose 5 lbs of fat before IMTX, the heat can be real. Stretch goal is sub 11 hrs, will be disappointed if I don't break 12. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have an obsessive/compulsive personality!

LOL!  Missed that one.  I keep laughing at the news this AM.  They are talking about new tax rules and anyone "married with 2 kids that make over $200 000" will pay an extra $11000 in taxes.  Ummm, what kinda child labour pays that kinda dough??

2016-01-04 3:09 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Katy, Texas

LOL!  Missed that one.  I keep laughing at the news this AM.  They are talking about new tax rules and anyone "married with 2 kids that make over $200 000" will pay an extra $11000 in taxes.  Ummm, what kinda child labour pays that kinda dough??

LOL! The english language is much harder than math, that's for sure!
2016-01-04 3:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

It probably would be a lot. There might be some variation in the pant types too, though mine don't seem that heavy. I'll use them down to maybe 5-10 or so. Then underneath may have some shorts or something like tri shorts plus long smartwool socks. Like ski or snowboard type. I run better when there isn't something hold on the knees so tend to beef up the shorts some more first and then go to the tights when it's really down low. Got a feeling I might handle the cold better though.

Keep in mind that it was 70 here last week.  I have had no time to acclimate at all!

That just sets up for a response of HTFU.

I wasn't thinking of acclimation yet with earlier responses. With it now, I'm usually set up pretty well for the winter if there is one good run fairly early on that is rather cold. Not going underdressed, just wearing what I think should work when I'm more used to the conditions. Things tend to be fine after that. YMMV.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 959 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.