General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-15 5:46 AM
in reply to: #3546876

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
blackchr05 - 2011-06-13 4:00 PM

Awesome - from now on I will think of my LP race uniform as my "Super Suit."

I`m in need of a "super suit".  Which tri shops have good tri tops?   I have tried Paragon, SBR, Jackrabbits and it is all whatever.  Zoot seems the best but it does not have space for a spare tube and the many GUIs i need, in the back.  Orca has decent size pockets but are rather bland.  I`m starting to suspect all the cool ones are individually designed by tri clubs.  I wanna looks good, cause i`m not going to feel good, till the end!

Great advice...  Thank you.

Hey blackchr05 - sound like you are looking for a custom job - problem is all the companies that do that work have minimum order requirements of 10~15 units per order. Recently our team has used both Kiwami and Louis-Garneau.

For Lake Placid, I am not so much worried what I look like, but rather what I feel like, so for me that means Desoto head to toe. Best customer service on the planet, awesome fit and comfort for hours in the saddle and on the feet.

2011-06-15 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3549199

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Ugh, mndymond, everyone else is right! REST!
I trained through similar in April and wound up with Bronchitis - this has been the first week since then that I have not had a regular cough. For sure listen to what the body is trying to tell you. I incorporate a lot of what DC recommends - I have found the college classroom to be not dissimilar to a Petrie dish in a CDC lab - my students must be the germiest on the planet!

I am getting a fair amount of open water swimming in, and my coach has "encouraged" me to use wax earplugs to avoid getting an ear infection. I grew up on the lake and have rarely had a problem, but with the compromised immunity that often comes with this type of training, now is not the time to take chances, he says. Better safe than sorry, I guess - even though I don't really like how they affect my hearing in the water. If I were REALLY worried about it I would probably be more concerned about the water quality at the local Y than at the lake though...

2011-06-15 6:08 AM
in reply to: #3547092

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
drdking - 2011-06-13 6:00 PM

Been absent since last weekend. Had a really bad week of training. My sunburn was worst than I thought orginially and kept me out of the pool at the start of the week. Then Wednesday night I managed to hurt my foot biking, nothing major but enough to making it very painful to run. Between the foot injury and work issues didn't get any training done at all on Thursday and Friday, and only a short recovery ride on Saturday as a warmup for a sprint tri on Sunday(Hudson Crossing Triathlon, in Schuylerville NY).

The race on Sunday however made my week. Ended up getting 3/12 in my AG! My first ever Triathlon Podium!

I almost got second in the age group but was passed on the run with half a mile to go(Ended up losing by 26 seconds). I tried to keep up with the guy but my legs couldn't keep up. My energy levels were pretty low for the whole race due to the lack of training and the fact that the night before I really didn't get any restful sleep. Needless to say once I saw the results posted after the race I was ecstatic. 

Feeling really good again, ready for a great week of training.

John - AWESOME job - congratulations! Sounds we could all use a "bad" week of training like that!
2011-06-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3548877

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-14 3:22 PM

gergzos - 2011-06-14 12:05 PM

I just spent a glorious 3 day weekend in LP with the Endurance Nation training camp.  I rode the complete bike course back to back days (Friday was warm and sunny, Saturday was cool and rainy, so i got a good sampling of Adirondack weather!),  ran one loop of the run course and one loop of the swim.  Here are some thoughts/impressions that may help those of you who have not been there:

Swim course.  

• I have been hearing about this "underwater cable" for a year now.  For some reason, I imagined it being a gleaming, silver, transatlantic sized, industrial grade, beacon of hope lying on the bottom of a crystal clear lake, and that this cable would guide me to a gloriously straight record swim split.   The reality is it is more like a little yellow chord you would hang your laundry on sitting a few feet below the murky surface!   I can't imagine fighting 3000 people to get on top of that thing to sight off of it!  I'm thinking it may be more trouble than it's worth now to stick to the cable.  I still need to figure out a swim strategy.

Bike course.

• The roads are in really rough shape, particularly on the Keene descent.  It will be better when we can use more road and less shoulder on race day, but even in the middle of the road there are lots of craters and cracks.  It's bone rattling at times.  I can't tell you how many water bottles I saw ejected.  Make sure you've got yours strapped down with a little extra sumthin to hold them.  I added a rubber band to my cage after my first ejection and that worked well.  Also, be sure to TIGHTEN your seat-post, handlebars, etc, as much as you can without cracking anything!  I hit a pothole at 40mph which caused my bars to slip down a few inches.   Scared the crap out of me.   Plus it cost me time having to re-adjust my bars and change my diaper.  That being said, it is still really fun.  Just be aware.
  • The out and back to Ausable Forks is not difficult, but it's annoying!  Something about going out-and-back twice is just mentally taxing.
  • The climb out of town feels like cake on loop one.  But on loop 2 it turns into one mean-@ss beyatch.  Be ready for it.  The thing is, it's not really just a climb out of town, rather it's more like one continuous climb all the way from Wilmington, or even Jay, for that matter.  So, don't smoke yourself coming up the Bears and into town just because you hear the roar of the crowd and have the adrenaline pumping, because once you leave town and things quiet down the work continues.
  • I tip my hat to those of you who can spin around that course sub-6 hours.  I thought I was one of you, but i am not.  I am readjusting my goals now from "sub-6" to "ride safe and smart".  If I kept my goal at sub-6 it would not only disappoint me mentally if i missed it, but it would most likely destroy my run.  I like my new goal better!

Run course:

• We were on the course the same day as the Lake Placid marathon, which was really cool.  It gave me a taste of cowbell!  River road is beautiful and rolling and is the bulk of the run.  It's been repaved and it is great shape.  The hills coming back into town are severe, and difficult, but i found going down them much harder!  I may walk down that thing on loop 2 because i think it could potentially blow me up!

As for the beer, I really enjoyed the 46er Pale Ale at the Lake Placid Brewery.  They sell large jugs of the stuff, so my plan for monday is to grab one of those, and a straw, and find a shady tree overlooking the lake to sit under and ponder this fabulous journey.  I am really happy I chose LP as the venue to do this, it's an incredible place for an Ironman.

Awesome course recon. I completely agree on all your points (except the beer I did not try). I thought the same thing about the cable! And the roads are definitely not in the nicest shape but should be somewhat better when we can use the whole lane. Thanks for posting this!

Yup, this is pretty much spot on. Hills can be tough, the run is beautiful if you can still enjoy it at that point in the race, the roads are in rough shape and the cable is as described. Having said all that, I will be one of those guys that will be looking for the cable especially on lap two.
2011-06-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3549852

User image

Regular

Gergzos – I could not have summarized the course conditions and better than you have and yes, the 46 is the BEST.  We should all meet and drink a few jugs.  The moose beer is not too bad either.   Can not wait to get back up there next weekend.

Tank boy – still working on my super suit.  I buying stuff so I have options.  I feel like a girl about to go on a hot date – want to look my best for the big day :-)

Chris

2011-06-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Yeah, so IMNJ IMNYC sold out in 14 mins.  Any LP'ers sign up?  If I'm gonna race in 90 degree August heat, I think I'll choose Kentucky to do it.  Somewhere knew and a little more scenic and doesn't smell like steamy landfill   

2011-06-15 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3550796

User image

Master
syracuse

i did not.... im doing AZ next year most likely....need some time off from IM!.....18 months is better than 12. crazy about NYC...they coudl have charged much more....

I honestly think in the next few years all IMs will be 800+.....

I've also heard 2012 is last year for LP.....anyone else here this?

2011-06-15 1:33 PM

Veteran

Haha I saw that it sold out in super fast. I enoyed reading everyone's freak out comments on the Ironman Facebook page... Some are pretty entertaining.

Where did you hear that IMLP '12 would be the last year? That would be super sad.

I've been scoping out the Beach to Battleship IM website for Oct 2012... and feeling sort of crazy for even thinking about doing another one before I've even finished IMLP! :-)

2011-06-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3550810

Regular
Annapolis, MD
cusetri - 2011-06-15 2:25 PM

i did not.... im doing AZ next year most likely....need some time off from IM!.....18 months is better than 12. crazy about NYC...they coudl have charged much more....

I doubt it.  Too much to lose for the town if it leaves.  Also, I thought the contract goes thru 2013...could be wrong on this though.

2011-06-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3550833

User image

Regular
2011-06-15 2:03 PM

User image

Regular

Nooooo - this is terrible news if true.  How can they not continue what is probably the most popular IM other than Kona?????   It foils my plans of doing IMLP every year up and during my retirment in Placid......

I hope that they do not think IM Jersey 134.2m / NYC 6m is going to replace Placid.  Fools.

2011-06-15 2:10 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
tripadigin - 2011-06-15 2:34 PM

I doubt it.  Too much to lose for the town if it leaves.  Also, I thought the contract goes thru 2013...could be wrong on this though.

Me neither. We are debating between IM France and The Alpe d'Huez long course. I figure why waste all this climbing fitness I have been working on for Lake Placid, right?!

For the past few years there has been a good bit of chatter about IMLP being done when the contract expires - that is one of the reasons I decided to sign up this year. search around BT and Slowtwitch and you should find several threads. Seems that the addition of Tremblant and NYC has rekindled some of that worry. There definitely seems to be a real love/hate relationship with the town of LP and the season-long hoo-ha the race brings. The Lake Placid contract is good through 2012 - here is a story from the Lake Placid News. I basically agree with the article - I think there is plenty of demand for all three races, it just may mean that LP will not fill up so fast, which might mean it takes a hit on volunteers - who knows?

FWIW like many others I was interested in IMNYC until I saw the course, and then became less interested. I'll betcha it will be much better than most folks expect though. I look forward to hearing all about it next year.

2011-06-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3550810

User image

They come up with contracts and agreements with the local cities where they hold all Ironman's.  The current Lake Placid agreement was for 3 more years and expires after 2013.  Here is the article:  http://triathlon.competitor.com/2009/07/news/ironman-extends-agreement-for-ford-ironman-lake-placid_3330

My guess is Ironman will be in Lake Placid for as long as there are Ironmans.  The locals love Ironman.  They love the business triathletes bring that entire week, and during the camps the months leading up to the event.  From what I've been told, the Ironman brings in more commerce than any other event. 

I think the only way the Ironman would ever not take place in Placid is if WTC got too greedy and demanding. 

I think this paragraph from the article speaks volumes.  Ironman is a cash cow for Lake Placid and the surrounding areas: 

Ford Ironman Lake Placid has become a staple of the summer event calendar in the Adirondacks. “The town of Wilmington is excited to learn that Ironman will continue to be with us, it has been an economic engine for the region and the state filling our motels and restaurants generating a large amount of revenue for us all,” according to town Supervisor Randy Preston.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-06-15 4:04 PM
2011-06-15 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I arrived at Lake Placid today and will be here until Mon. I rode one loop of the bike and the roads are much rougher than last year. With traffic it was hard to "let it go" into Keene , NO WAY you can ride the shoulder this year. Looking forward to 2 laps Thur and a swim in the afternoon, why would anyone go to Disney on vacation when you can do IM training in Lake Placid for a week? Good luck in your final stages of training and Stay safe out there, we're getting close.    Jim
2011-06-15 11:16 PM

User image

Champion

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a good day!

Feeling better today (pretty much largely due to my friends pseudoephedrine and tylenol--in the form of neocitran...mmmmmmm....) Ended up going to bed a 4pm yesterday and it was iffy this morning how it was going to go. Ended up jumping on the trainer for 2hrs for a easy ride while watching game 7 of the canucks/bruins series. I stayed on for pretty much the entire game and watched the canucks lose....haha. Oh well, the better team won the game tonight. Now I'm watching the post loss riots...fail...I'm really liking the burbs right now...oh quiet, safe solitude!

I'll probably head out in the morning to walk my long run...hoping by fri/sat I'll be back on my A game...or at least A- game 

2011-06-16 4:15 AM
in reply to: #3551197

User image

Master
syracuse

I agree with thoughts on LP not going anywhere....

though I would take the public words of the town supervisor with a grain of salt.....

The IM adds revenue for hotels and resturatants.....for nearly every other business, it hurts them, and the majority of the town cannot stand the huge training camps leading up to the race and the race itself....

2011-06-16 6:02 AM

User image

Regular

39 days people. time to buck up to those long workouts!!

i dont know about you, but i feel like i need 10 hours of sleep every night....

how often do you guys (or have you) skipped workouts during this IMLP training?

1 per week, 2 per week? 1 per month?  typically i end up skipping 1 workout a week. Due to listening to my body and needing to sleep instead. Am i a slacker for this?

2011-06-16 6:08 AM

User image

Regular

another post for me. im getting anxious, can anyone tell?

im really struggling to pick out my "super suit"

i want to look like i know what im doing, at least. something colorful, any advice? this is a hard decision.

2011-06-16 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3551779

User image

Master
Reston, VA
6226chels - 2011-06-16 7:02 AM

1 per week, 2 per week? 1 per month?  typically i end up skipping 1 workout a week. Due to listening to my body and needing to sleep instead. Am i a slacker for this?

Not a slacker. Rest is very necessary and sometimes life gets in the way of a planned workout.

I seem to miss a workout every week because of work or something else that comes up. Just try not to miss your key workouts.
2011-06-16 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3552034

User image

Master
syracuse
docswim24 - 2011-06-16 9:44 AM

Not a slacker. Rest is very necessary and sometimes life gets in the way of a planned workout. I seem to miss a workout every week because of work or something else that comes up. Just try not to miss your key workouts.

agree with doc.  you should have around 3-4 key workouts a week or so....hit them no matter what (within reason of course), everything else make flexible with your life.....

2011-06-16 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3552066

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
cusetri - 2011-06-16 9:00 AM
docswim24 - 2011-06-16 9:44 AM

Not a slacker. Rest is very necessary and sometimes life gets in the way of a planned workout. I seem to miss a workout every week because of work or something else that comes up. Just try not to miss your key workouts.

agree with doc.  you should have around 3-4 key workouts a week or so....hit them no matter what (within reason of course), everything else make flexible with your life.....

Ya, I miss maybe a strength training session or an easy swim workout once a week.  I don't usually miss what I consider to be key ones.

2011-06-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3551779

Veteran

I'm also feeling like I need 10 hours a sleep per night at this point... actually 9 solid hours with a nap throwin in there would be ideal.. if only!

If I'm having an off day I will take it easier during a workout than normal but I always do them. For me its a slippery slope, one skipped workout could lead to another, etc. But that is just what works best for me! Luckily I have not had to skip any for injury or major illness and am SO thankful for that.

2011-06-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3551552

Veteran

godekjames - 2011-06-15 9:51 PM I arrived at Lake Placid today and will be here until Mon. I rode one loop of the bike and the roads are much rougher than last year. With traffic it was hard to "let it go" into Keene , NO WAY you can ride the shoulder this year. Looking forward to 2 laps Thur and a swim in the afternoon, why would anyone go to Disney on vacation when you can do IM training in Lake Placid for a week? Good luck in your final stages of training and Stay safe out there, we're getting close.    Jim

Haha nice Jim! The descent into Keene is sort of like a ride at Disney, right? Hey - Did you or anyone else notice if there was still sand all over the roads? I noticed it everywhere and nearly wiped out on that right hand turn in Jay going towards Wilmington.

2011-06-16 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3552140

User image

Champion
RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-16 8:31 AM

I'm also feeling like I need 10 hours a sleep per night at this point... actually 9 solid hours with a nap throwin in there would be ideal.. if only!

If I'm having an off day I will take it easier during a workout than normal but I always do them. For me its a slippery slope, one skipped workout could lead to another, etc. But that is just what works best for me! Luckily I have not had to skip any for injury or major illness and am SO thankful for that.

I tend to do that too. If I miss one workout, then why not the next or the next? I will just lower intensity or duration if I'm really not feeling it instead of skipping usually. SOmetimes I have to re-arrange a bit too and one of the reasons I might do that is if I'm just not feeling up to one of my key workouts at the time it is set...I normally end up doing them all though--except with illness.

2011-06-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3552079

User image

Master
New Jersey
acumenjay - 2011-06-16 10:05 AM

Ya, I miss maybe a strength training session or an easy swim workout once a week.  I don't usually miss what I consider to be key ones.

I'm curious...how do fit in your strength training during a typical week? I just found it too hard to fit these in with all the other training going on? But, I'd like to keep up the strength training this next go-around.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112