BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-06-25 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4279653

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED
Joined the Strava group - great, now I have yet ANOTHER place I have to upload workouts. I can't even seem to keep up with BT and TrainingPeaks... I have been a member for a year, but up until now I have only uploaded odds-and-ends to get some data that is difficult in training peaks. Hope you all don't mind me bringing the group average down...

2012-06-25 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4279971

User image

Fred D - 2012-06-25 2:03 PM

Did an evening ride as I had planned to ride in the am but woke up with a migraine with aura, so no dice.

Recovered and rode pretty well.

Tired now....

What...no KOMs today?  Pffft. 

Great ride!

2012-06-25 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4278356

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Fred D - 2012-06-25 8:05 AM
TankBoy - 2012-06-25 7:00 AM

After an appointment with the doctor today i am going to get caught up with the group.. I am going to need a little "mentoring," I think.

. Let us know whats going on?

In the grand scheme of things I don't think it is a huge deal, and it certainly could be way worse. I have been battling a little bit of tendonosis in my right knee (interior) though out the summer - it has been manageable and has not really slowed me down much, but my running mileage has been comparitavely low. A while back (maybe six weeks or so ago?) I took a tumble while trail running and it seemed to aggravate the tendonosis a bit, but still was not bad - just kept icing it, hitting it during my regular deep tissue sessions, and running. About three weeks ago I noticed a bit of swelling and tightness in the back of the knee (weird) and immediately went in to see my doc. The diagnosis 3 weeks ago was a pinched or possibly torn medial meniscus. The Doc does not think it is too bad, and on the outer rim of the meniscus (this is good) and therefore can in all likelihood heal up with PT and no running. Cycling is fine and swimming is all good, so long as I don't twist and push off the wall, which now has me doing all my swimming in open water, which is great with me, actually. I have also been aqua jogging. Today I was allowed to do 20 minutes on an elliptical trainer, and on thursday will do 45 minutes prior to my next visit with the doc to see how it goes.

I have IMLP coming up in 4 weeks, and am currently looking questionable to finish running. At the moment that honestly does not seem like that big of a deal, even though it was my A race for the year. I have Bone Island half in January, Leadman 250 in April, and an IM (probably LP again) in July/August. The last one is my "big" race to see just how fast I can go at the IM distance, and then I will most likely switch my focus to something else. So I really don't want to do something stupid at LP this year.

There is not really a question in there (yet) but I am sure as I get closer and have a better idea of what the knee is going to be like on race day I will have lots for the group. Part of me wants to just do the swim and then go for a KOM on the bike, but hell, Fred probably already has that one too...

2012-06-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4124687

User image

Sorry to hear about the injury Rusty, but it sounds like you have a good grasp of it and the big picture.  I hope everything works out.
2012-06-25 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4280031

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-06-25 8:33 PM

Champion
Hi all. I'm officially registered for IM France in Nice next June! Got a run and swim done today. 

2012-06-25 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4280050

2012-06-25 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4278293

Champion
Rudedog55 - 2012-06-25 4:22 AM

Congrats Chris!!!  that is an awesome job!!!  you are killing it this year!!!

x2 Nice work Chris

2012-06-26 5:17 AM
in reply to: #4280002

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

TankBoy - 2012-06-25 8:27 PM Joined the Strava group - great, now I have yet ANOTHER place I have to upload workouts. I can't even seem to keep up with BT and TrainingPeaks... I have been a member for a year, but up until now I have only uploaded odds-and-ends to get some data that is difficult in training peaks. Hope you all don't mind me bringing the group average down...

That’s was I was thinking Rusty.  It’s cool that you can see others that ride the same routes and the efforts they do. 

I hope you get better soon.

2012-06-26 5:19 AM
in reply to: #4278764

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
rymac - 2012-06-25 11:10 AM

Great race Chris..congrats on the PR!

I raced a 15K Saturday morning.  I definitely felt flat from the beginning and was pretty much a sufferfest all the way.  Happy I was able to push through but not the time I was hoping for.  1:00:18 is a PR but felt I was in sub 60 shape.  I just did not feel sharp but not every race can be great I guess. 

Headed to Cleveland for an evening meeting tonight.  Planning to go for a trail run on the Buckeye Trail in Cuyahoga National Forest as it is supposed to be very nice and home to a 50K race.  I am going to bring my camera along.

I signed up for Strava but my outdoor riding has been pretty lame this year.

Nice Job on the 15K Ryan! 

UP's and Downs got to love them........

2012-06-26 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4280428

Elite
Ontario
tasr - 2012-06-26 6:17 AM

TankBoy - 2012-06-25 8:27 PM Joined the Strava group - great, now I have yet ANOTHER place I have to upload workouts. I can't even seem to keep up with BT and TrainingPeaks... I have been a member for a year, but up until now I have only uploaded odds-and-ends to get some data that is difficult in training peaks. Hope you all don't mind me bringing the group average down...

That’s was I was thinking Rusty.  It’s cool that you can see others that ride the same routes and the efforts they do. 

I hope you get better soon.

I don't know, this could get depressing for some of us....Undecided

I had signed up for Strava previously but haven't really used it.  What I really want to be able to do is combine my PT file and a separate Garmin file so I can see elevation and route information along with power (I have a wired PT).  I asked on the main forum and one member offered to take a look to see if he can match files up to work in GC, so we'll see.

Question for the group.  How do you know when to back off the volume or intensity a bit to allow some recovery/downtime.  Since I'm not following a plan this year, this is currently a big question in my mind.  I don't want to keep pushing myself and then hit a low point.  Suggestions, or what's worked for you in the past?

2012-06-26 8:21 AM

2012-06-26 8:29 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

got 34 miles in at 5am this morning and a KOM, lol!!!, leg is still bothering me, i have an appointment with a PT on Thursday.

Rusty, sorry about your injury, seems like this group has had their fair share this year.

2012-06-26 8:36 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hilly run for me today. I can wait to upload into Strava to see what it looks like.
2012-06-26 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4280568

Extreme Veteran
GoFaster - 2012-06-26 7:47 AM

Question for the group.  How do you know when to back off the volume or intensity a bit to allow some recovery/downtime.  Since I'm not following a plan this year, this is currently a big question in my mind.  I don't want to keep pushing myself and then hit a low point.  Suggestions, or what's worked for you in the past?

I have been using Raceday apollo for 2 years which has allowed me to quantify my load. It usesvolume and intensity.

I slowly upped that load over time. I know what a TSS load for a tough week is so if I have two of those back to back I ease off on the third. 

So load and how I am feeling works for me. 

2012-06-26 12:35 PM

Regular
Everywhere

So im back on the training again Im going to stick with Olly's and sprints for now. Short run with Sicone this morning, a quick dip in the pool 16 mins and a short bike this afternoon just to reminded my body what to do before i train a bit harder.

I,ve also put on some weight (beer belly) that i want to shift so im going to look at my diet so I will bug you lot for ideas for packed lunches at some point.

Glad to hear great race results and welcome new members

BTW whats a KOM?

Edited by Blinddave 2012-06-26 12:38 PM

2012-06-26 12:44 PM

Question for the group, posted in TT as well but some of you may not go there anymore And I value the opinions here...

Basically, this season except for California 70.3 in March, I have not had any muscle soreness after either of my Olys or my sprint.

Is that indicative of anything?  Bad or good?  When I started doing sprints and Olympics I'd get pretty sore a couple days later.  This season I've lost some weight and am racing these distances faster than ever before, but in one sprint and 2 Olys this year I have no residual muscle soreness, which I find odd.  Is this good?  bad?  Indifferent? 

I do get fatigued for a few days after a race.

I don't feel like I could go much faster at the moment.....

2012-06-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4280681

marcag - 2012-06-26 3:49 AM
GoFaster - 2012-06-26 7:47 AM

I have been using Raceday apollo for 2 years which has allowed me to quantify my load. It usesvolume and intensity.

I slowly upped that load over time. I know what a TSS load for a tough week is so if I have two of those back to back I ease off on the third. 

So load and how I am feeling works for me. 

Pretty much this.  I use WKO+ for biking to track my TSS, and because I run mostly the same speed (I don't do any intervals, speedwork, etc), it's easy for me to guesstimate my TSS for the run since I keep my logs accurate and up to date. 

It takes some experimentation to find out what levels you can tolerate, and makes it even more complicated because your fitness level is constantly changing.  But you get a general ideal.  At the very least, simply listed to your body...and usually looking back at my logs and TSS verifies what my body is telling me.

2012-06-26 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4281232

ChrisM - 2012-06-26 7:44 AM

Question for the group, posted in TT as well but some of you may not go there anymore And I value the opinions here...

Basically, this season except for California 70.3 in March, I have not had any muscle soreness after either of my Olys or my sprint.

Is that indicative of anything?  Bad or good?  When I started doing sprints and Olympics I'd get pretty sore a couple days later.  This season I've lost some weight and am racing these distances faster than ever before, but in one sprint and 2 Olys this year I have no residual muscle soreness, which I find odd.  Is this good?  bad?  Indifferent? 

I posted an answer...basically saying that I'm the complete opposite.  I'm always sore after a race, but not always fatigued.  There are sometimes after a early morning TT that I feel energized enough to do another workout in the afternoon or the next morning...but the soreness is what stops me...not the fatigue.

After longer races, I'm fatigued and sore...but the soreness lingers on longer than the fatigue.  And I ramp back into training based on when the fatigue levels are right...not the soreness levels.  I can train through soreness...not so much fatigue.

2012-06-26 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4281232

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ChrisM - 2012-06-26 1:44 PM

i have the same issue, i would say you are in much better shape and could probably go harder. I certainly know i can, but it is with the run where us bigger athletes usually work harder to the point of soreness. we are just used to going at a particular pace and even though i can push the bike to the brink, i cannot even come close on the run, which i think is where most of the soreness comes from.

Keep in mind, you are well trained for a Half, an Oly or sprint are like warmups. Some of your runs were longer than the total distance of the sprint Tri, or pretty close. I do 1 hours worth of intervals, which is pretty equivalent to a sprint bike leg, so the body is used to working that hard for that duration. I do no speed work on the run, so unless i am running flat out for me for the 5k, i would probably not even feel it that day or next.

2012-06-26 3:40 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

GoFaster - 2012-06-26 8:47 AM Question for the group. How do you know when to back off the volume or intensity a bit to allow some recovery/downtime. Since I'm not following a plan this year, this is currently a big question in my mind. I don't want to keep pushing myself and then hit a low point. Suggestions, or what's worked for you in the past?

Great question!

I listen to my body and try not to have too many volume and intensity days in a row. This doesn’t mean or stop me from going out the door. If I plane for volume/intensity and I don’t feel like it I attempt the training. For a bike it may be 20 miles before I can get warmed up into training. Then if I still am not feeling right and I have had volume/intensity days prior I may back off or push thru, just depends. I don’t train with HR but use it as a limiter. If my HR does not climb or is to way to high those are my signs as well.

2012-06-26 6:26 PM

Pro

Question for the group:

I enlisted in the Army National Guard, so I'm now drilling one weekend a month. How should I handle my long rides these weeks? My target HIM is in Sept 30th.

I see three options:

1. try to schedule drill weekend during a tri recovery week

2. do the long ride on a weekday

3. increase other rides that week to bring the weekly total inline with where it should be, while omitting the long ride.

Biking is my weakness. Any time in the saddle is good time in the saddle for me. 

2012-06-26 7:39 PM

Elaine...I would stay flexible and use all three options if possible.  I'm not the type to have a set in stone plan, but more of a guideline plan.  As the week you're supposed to drill approaches, pick which option fits the best.  The answer may be different from month to month.
2012-06-27 4:54 AM

Extreme Veteran

Strava is sending me emails about Rudy's PRs and Bryan's KOMs...cool

2012-06-27 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4281874

Extreme Veteran
ratherbeswimming - 2012-06-26 6:26 PM

Question for the group:

I enlisted in the Army National Guard, so I'm now drilling one weekend a month. How should I handle my long rides these weeks? My target HIM is in Sept 30th.

I see three options:

1. try to schedule drill weekend during a tri recovery week

2. do the long ride on a weekday

3. increase other rides that week to bring the weekly total inline with where it should be, while omitting the long ride.

Biking is my weakness. Any time in the saddle is good time in the saddle for me. 

Is Drilling something physically demanding or it just takes time ?

If it's just time, then to me it's just like building my workouts around the weather. The week I am scheduled for long rides, I just do them as soon as the weather forecast says it's a go.The first 3 hour window I see with a good forecast I jump on. If I waited until the weekend chances are I would get rained out anyways.

If drilling is something exhausting I guess that's a different subject. We are so militarily naive in this country (canada)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108