BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-04-01 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4682169

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED
cdban66 - 2013-04-01 12:19 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-04-01 3:13 PM
cdban66 - 2013-04-01 12:10 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-04-01 3:07 PM

Trying to get caught up....

Jayne - Love the new Avie...

TJ - Awesome Job on the 1/2.  Totally understand the emotional finish.  I think after all the training, it's impossible not to get emotional when you cross the line.  Thanks for the update on the tracker, going to be using this for my next race.

Jo - Congrats on overcoming the fear...you will soon be a cycling beast!

Salty - Happy Belated - hope you had a great B-day.  Those are wicked awesome (that's better than just awesome) shoes!

Stacy - For me, the best plan was run, run and run some more.  I did not follow a specific plan, I just followed the adage, "run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard."  It really worked for me.  I ran 5-6 days per week and stuck to the 10% rule for adding mileage each week.  

Erin - love the pic of your Husband and Daughter reading the magazine.  How is the clip in, clip out going..? 

Jonathon TX - please tell me your cold went away.

Ariel - Awesome job...very impressive to negative split those 4 miles after a 6 mile "warm up"

And with that - I think I'm caught up....

P.S.  What the hell is YMMV?  I haven't been able to figure that one out.

Your Mileage May vary.

I see you had a date this weekend that went well. Good to see.

Wow - you get around huh?    

I admit, I read more then I post. 

^^^yes, also guilty.

Shoe shopping question...

I've bought two pairs of Brooks from a run-specific shoe store. Last year, the sales assistant convinced me to buy a 1/2 size larger than I normally wear because she said there's issue of feet swelling on longer runs. They are the pair I least wear on runs because I get blisters at 4-5 miles. I've changed the socks I wear with them and still have issues of rubbing. I'm going to try bodyglide or some such help.

I have narrow feet and really narrow heels. Going to a bigger shoe means I get a lot more slipping around. When buying my trail shoes this weekend, the sales guy kept pushing me on the 1/2 size larger. I told him about my other shoes and he seemed skeptical, and I felt silly because he's the "shoe expert", right? But I stuck to my guns and bought the 8 1/2 instead of 9 (I tried both sizes on in 3 different shoes). I figured he can tell me what I "should" do all day, but he's not running with my feet.

Right call? How much should I really listen to their advice? I'm such a newbie that I felt dumb throwing his advice/knowledge in his face. 

2013-04-01 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4682315

User image

Seattle
4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 4:05 PM

TJ - Awesome Job on the 1/2.  Totally understand the emotional finish.  I think after all the training, it's impossible not to get emotional when you cross the line.  Thanks for the update on the tracker, going to be using this for my next race.

Salty - Happy Belated - hope you had a great B-day.  Those are wicked awesome (that's better than just awesome) shoes!

Stacy - For me, the best plan was run, run and run some more.  I did not follow a specific plan, I just followed the adage, "run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard."  It really worked for me.  I ran 5-6 days per week and stuck to the 10% rule for adding mileage each week.  

Erin - love the pic of your Husband and Daughter reading the magazine.  How is the clip in, clip out going..? 

Ariel - Awesome job...very impressive to negative split those 4 miles after a 6 mile "warm up"

Your Mileage May vary.

^^^yes, also guilty.

I've bought two pairs of Brooks from a run-specific shoe store. Last year, the sales assistant convinced me to buy a 1/2 size larger than I normally wear because she said there's issue of feet swelling on longer runs. They are the pair I least wear on runs because I get blisters at 4-5 miles. I've changed the socks I wear with them and still have issues of rubbing. I'm going to try bodyglide or some such help.

I have narrow feet and really narrow heels. Going to a bigger shoe means I get a lot more slipping around. When buying my trail shoes this weekend, the sales guy kept pushing me on the 1/2 size larger. I told him about my other shoes and he seemed skeptical, and I felt silly because he's the "shoe expert", right? But I stuck to my guns and bought the 8 1/2 instead of 9 (I tried both sizes on in 3 different shoes). I figured he can tell me what I "should" do all day, but he's not running with my feet.

Right call? How much should I really listen to their advice? I'm such a newbie that I felt dumb throwing his advice/knowledge in his face. 

That's exactly right. I think you just need to run in them and see how they work out. Not to discredit "shoe experts," it's just that everyone is different and, while they can give you general advice, you are the one who has to run in them.

I think you made the right call.

2013-04-01 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Your Mileage May vary.

^^^yes, also guilty.

I go back and forth on this. My day to day shoes are size 8 (or 39). I have running shoes in both 8 and 8 1/2. I prefer the 8s, but they are a little uncomfortable until I break them in because of my deformed feet. (I read/heard somewhere that running shoes shouldn't need to be broken in. I have no idea.) My toes are still not at the top in the 8s, and on short runs, I don't like to wear socks. I have the opposite problem than you have. I need a very wide toe box. I have even tried a men's 7, which actually works pretty well. But it's hard to find pink. LOL

That's my shoe size ramble. To answer your question, you need to do what works for you. They aren't the experts on your feet.

Edited by KansasMom 2013-04-01 4:18 PM
2013-04-01 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4682073

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2013-04-01 1:22 PM

Here are some of my bday pics. It was a weekend full of really good friends and family, really good food (which I wish I got more pictures of) and some beautiful weather.

Bday/Easter French Toast 

Me, with a tiny beer

Some of our pub-crawl crew

Tether Ball Tourny along the way
I love French toast, but that one made my stomach roll a little. I've told you before how much I love tether ball? So jealous about that. We don't even have tether ball at my kids' grade school. Insane.
2013-04-01 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I too have a narrow foot with a wide tie box. My Solomon's are the first shoe I've found that is gender specific, cradles my heel and gives me enough space in the toe (usually, more on that in my RR) and I do size up a bit.
2013-04-01 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4682295

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

rrrunner - 2013-04-01 4:52 PM We're driving back today and I'm not EVEN attempting an RR on my phone. I'll try really hard to do it tomorrow.

Cool wings Salty!

OK, you win. Don't think I'm pressing you for it, I'm just excited!

2013-04-01 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

rrrunner - 2013-04-01 4:52 PM We're driving back today and I'm not EVEN attempting an RR on my phone. I'll try really hard to do it tomorrow.

Cool wings Salty!

I know the feeling!  I feel that race reports require keyboard ;-)

Safe travels!

2013-04-01 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4682304

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

rrrunner - 2013-04-01 4:58 PM I've got some great pix too, if I can figure out how to incorporate them. Other than the finish line photos my fam took way better pix than the pros did

You could put them in your training blog or else post them online (Picasa, etc.) and give us the URL.  You know how we feel about pictures!

2013-04-01 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4682334

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
KansasMom - 2013-04-01 5:17 PM

Your Mileage May vary.

^^^yes, also guilty.

I go back and forth on this. My day to day shoes are size 8 (or 39). I have running shoes in both 8 and 8 1/2. I prefer the 8s, but they are a little uncomfortable until I break them in because of my deformed feet. (I read/heard somewhere that running shoes shouldn't need to be broken in. I have no idea.) My toes are still not at the top in the 8s, and on short runs, I don't like to wear socks. I have the opposite problem than you have. I need a very wide toe box. I have even tried a men's 7, which actually works pretty well. But it's hard to find pink. LOL

That's my shoe size ramble. To answer your question, you need to do what works for you. They aren't the experts on your feet.

I'm also in the "Do what works for you" club. My running shoes are 11.5 while my everyday shoes are 10.5. But, my PI's are a 12, so there is the whole brand specific sizing issue as well.

2013-04-01 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 5:05 PM

I've run in both my street shoe size (9 1/2) and one size up (10).  For me, the half size larger did actually work better but the only thing that you can do is try it out.  If always figure that at least I can use running shoes for knocking around in if they don't work out and if you are getting blisters, keeping things the same is certainly not going to correct the issue, right?

2013-04-01 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4682370

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2013-04-01 2:36 PM

rrrunner - 2013-04-01 4:58 PM I've got some great pix too, if I can figure out how to incorporate them. Other than the finish line photos my fam took way better pix than the pros did

You could put them in your training blog or else post them online (Picasa, etc.) and give us the URL.  You know how we feel about pictures!

Yes! And great new avi you have Laughing

2013-04-01 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Thanks for all the shoe info, everyone. Yes, I'll try these 8 1/2 Brooks... and if they don't work, I'll chalk it up to not the brand for my foot. I just hate "wasting" shopping time and money on shoes that don't make my feet happy  Undecided
2013-04-01 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4682062

User image

Veteran
Dayton
4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 2:18 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-04-01 10:13 AM
ponderingfox - 2013-04-01 12:10 PM
cdban66 - 2013-04-01 7:46 AM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-31 8:57 PM Oh man, one week until my first HM. Aaaaaaaagh!!

Tom, you got this, you'll be fine. I followed Hal's plan for my first 2 HM's and he got me through them quite well.  And, since it is your first, you are guaranteed a PR

Yeah, I know it will be ok during the race. But that doesn't make the nerves go away!

HMs are a VERY fun distance. You will have a blast. You will also have plenty of time to lose the nerves. 13.1 miles in fact

If I of the typically dull shoes can do it, you of the neons certainly will be extraordinary. That being said, I was petrified before RnR Phoenix (my first) last year. But nerves leave quickly, and then it's just time to enjoy the " ride" because you've done all you can to be ready.

Just remember that flashy shoes add +3 speed points and +5 confidence.  I'm sure Michael Jordan would agree.

2013-04-01 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4682374

User image

Master
Orlando
jmkizer - 2013-04-01 4:40 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 5:05 PM

I've run in both my street shoe size (9 1/2) and one size up (10).  For me, the half size larger did actually work better but the only thing that you can do is try it out.  If always figure that at least I can use running shoes for knocking around in if they don't work out and if you are getting blisters, keeping things the same is certainly not going to correct the issue, right?

I wear a size 7 in my street shoes, but either an 8 or 8.5 - depending on brand - in running shoes.
2013-04-01 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

rrrunner - 2013-04-01 3:52 PM We're driving back today and I'm not EVEN attempting an RR on my phone. I'll try really hard to do it tomorrow.

Cool wings Salty!

Can't wait to read it!

Edited by JJ- 2013-04-01 5:19 PM
2013-04-01 5:20 PM

User image

Elite

ALARM SET.

11am today Melbourne IM 2014 opens - last year took 4mins to sell out.  I have given it much thought.  I figure it can't throw up those hideous conditions two years running, I'll take a chance.  I've got lots of friends doing it again or for the first time.

So my schedule if I get in looks something like this:

September 15 - SUNSHINE COAST 70.3

January 18 - CHALLENGE WANAKA 70.3

March 23 - IM MELBOURNE 140.6

The timing sits perfectly.  However Im more stressed about getting in than I am about racing!

Edited by jobaxas 2013-04-01 5:24 PM

2013-04-01 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4682408

User image

Seattle

4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 5:05 PM Thanks for all the shoe info, everyone. Yes, I'll try these 8 1/2 Brooks... and if they don't work, I'll chalk it up to not the brand for my foot. I just hate "wasting" shopping time and money on shoes that don't make my feet happy  Undecided

If I were you, I would shop at a store that has a good return policy. Most running stores understand how difficult it can be to find the right kind of shoe for your foot, therefore are pretty liberal with their returns. 

2013-04-01 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4682414

User image

Master
ponderingfox - 2013-04-01 3:09 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 2:18 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-04-01 10:13 AM
ponderingfox - 2013-04-01 12:10 PM
cdban66 - 2013-04-01 7:46 AM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-31 8:57 PM Oh man, one week until my first HM. Aaaaaaaagh!!

Tom, you got this, you'll be fine. I followed Hal's plan for my first 2 HM's and he got me through them quite well.  And, since it is your first, you are guaranteed a PR

Yeah, I know it will be ok during the race. But that doesn't make the nerves go away!

HMs are a VERY fun distance. You will have a blast. You will also have plenty of time to lose the nerves. 13.1 miles in fact

If I of the typically dull shoes can do it, you of the neons certainly will be extraordinary. That being said, I was petrified before RnR Phoenix (my first) last year. But nerves leave quickly, and then it's just time to enjoy the " ride" because you've done all you can to be ready.

Just remember that flashy shoes add +3 speed points and +5 confidence.  I'm sure Michael Jordan would agree.

Is this a chicken vs egg thing? Athlete make the shoes or shoes make the athlete? Wink

And my next pair of running shoes will have a little lot more flash. Just you wait...I'll be rolling in the extra points!

2013-04-01 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4682430

User image

Seattle
jobaxas - 2013-04-01 5:20 PM

ALARM SET.

3pm today Melbourne IM 2014 opens - last year took 4mins to sell out.  I have given it much thought.  I figure it can't throw up those hideous conditions two years running, I'll take a chance.  I've got lots of friends doing it again or for the first time.

The timing sits perfectly.  However Im more stressed about getting in than I am about racing!

One thing at a time, Jo. It will work out just the way it is supposed to. 

2013-04-01 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4682431

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2013-04-01 3:21 PM

4agoodlife - 2013-04-01 5:05 PM Thanks for all the shoe info, everyone. Yes, I'll try these 8 1/2 Brooks... and if they don't work, I'll chalk it up to not the brand for my foot. I just hate "wasting" shopping time and money on shoes that don't make my feet happy  Undecided

If I were you, I would shop at a store that has a good return policy. Most running stores understand how difficult it can be to find the right kind of shoe for your foot, therefore are pretty liberal with their returns. 

This store does (30 days "used"). I just thought I was doing something wrong with the other shoes and kept them too long. Won't make that mistake this time.

2013-04-01 5:45 PM

User image

Master

Just got boring old white 'n orange adidas...But they make my feet happy, so I go with 'em.

The weather is so beautiful today, I decided to ride my bike to work.  First day of outside riding this year...always, always, always trepidation about flats.  Almost backed out because of it, but told myself to HTFU.  So I get to work--oh, we were just trying to call you to tell you it's slow and don't come in!  I'm kinda glad I didn't get the call, because I likely would've jammed on the ride, and just gotten on the trainer... In the end, I rode the long way home.  Three bridges later, drop my bike off at the LBS to finally get narrower handlebars installed.  And maybe some new red bar tape....

2013-04-01 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4682458

User image

Master
bcraht - 2013-04-01 3:45 PM

Just got boring old white 'n orange adidas...But they make my feet happy, so I go with 'em.

The weather is so beautiful today, I decided to ride my bike to work.  First day of outside riding this year...always, always, always trepidation about flats.  Almost backed out because of it, but told myself to HTFU.  So I get to work--oh, we were just trying to call you to tell you it's slow and don't come in!  I'm kinda glad I didn't get the call, because I likely would've jammed on the ride, and just gotten on the trainer... In the end, I rode the long way home.  Three bridges later, drop my bike off at the LBS to finally get narrower handlebars installed.  And maybe some new red bar tape....

Looks like it worked out perfectly :D. ( says me as I practice clip in... clip out)
2013-04-01 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4682441

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2013-04-02 10:30 AM
jobaxas - 2013-04-01 5:20 PM

ALARM SET.

3pm today Melbourne IM 2014 opens - last year took 4mins to sell out.  I have given it much thought.  I figure it can't throw up those hideous conditions two years running, I'll take a chance.  I've got lots of friends doing it again or for the first time.

One thing at a time, Jo. It will work out just the way it is supposed to. 

That's about it Salty.

2013-04-01 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4682458

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2013-04-01 5:45 PM

Orange is my favorite color. (Well, ok, it's more of a salmon-orange if we are being specific)

In fact, don't tell anyone, but I chose my running club because their colors were blue and orange. I had NO idea that they were the best running club in the NW (maybe the US if you look at results...

2013-04-01 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4682304

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
rrrunner - 2013-04-02 5:58 AMI've got some great pix too, if I can figure out how to incorporate them. Other than the finish line photos my fam took way better pix than the pros did

What you mean they actually took photos of you and not of someone else and then tagged them as you ?

Thanks Tom and Yanti and Chris for the Hal Higdon HM plan suggestion. I have checked it out and it feels like a much better fit than the Jeff Galloway that I had. And yes Yanti the 12km run is just a practice run, my first ever running race.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-04-01 5:59 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85