General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-10-18 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3157311

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Been reading IMFL race reports and found this from 2005

"Made the next turn, used the hotel to sight now, so I didn't have to wait to ride the waves up anymore. Found some more people to draft off of, rode some waves in and headed to the aid station on the beach. Took a quick look at my watch and felt good because I was ahead of schedule. Drank a little water and headed back in."

I'd asked about this along time ago, but didn't get a confirmation.

Is there still an aid station on the beach at the mid point of the swim - this would be a godsend for me, just to be able to swill out the salty taste would be great - I'm a bit of a puker on the swim - be warned - though I'm so slow I doubt anyone will be drafting ;o)

With reference to swim start position, I always tend to start on the outside edge to stay out of trouble, but I've never swam in such a big group, my thought is middle a few rows from the back - thinking water will be flattened by the hoard ahead - just i'll have the best chance of drafting - but I want to stay well clear of the punchfest.

2010-10-18 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3157263

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
TriMyBest - 2010-10-18 6:22 AM On Saturday, my primary training partner was in a bike accident.  A car backed out of a driveway in front of him, and he went over the bars.  Broken collar bone and shattered elbow.  They had to do surgery on the elbow.

Bob is a TNT coach, racing since the 80's, he has raised a lot of money for charities over the years, has completed more races than he can count, BQ'd before his knees went bad, and IMFL was going to be his 5th IM.  He was raising money through the Janus Charity Challenge for FL.  He is the person who convinced me that I'm ready for an IM.

Please keep your thoughts with him as he recovers.  He is supposed to go home from the hospital today.

That really sucks, dude.  Please tell your friend that BT is wishing him a speedy recovery.
2010-10-18 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3157403

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
millarg - 2010-10-18 7:41 AM Been reading IMFL race reports and found this from 2005

"Made the next turn, used the hotel to sight now, so I didn't have to wait to ride the waves up anymore. Found some more people to draft off of, rode some waves in and headed to the aid station on the beach. Took a quick look at my watch and felt good because I was ahead of schedule. Drank a little water and headed back in."

Is there still an aid station on the beach at the mid point of the swim - this would be a godsend for me, just to be able to swill out the salty taste would be great - I'm a bit of a puker on the swim - be warned - though I'm so slow I doubt anyone will be drafting ;o)

With reference to swim start position, I always tend to start on the outside edge to stay out of trouble, but I've never swam in such a big group, my thought is middle a few rows from the back - thinking water will be flattened by the hoard ahead - just i'll have the best chance of drafting - but I want to stay well clear of the punchfest.

i too am curious about this.

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS DONE IM FL IN THE PAST: is there an aid station half-way thru the swim?? i'm always thirsty when swimming for any extended amount of time.
2010-10-18 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
TriMyBest - 2010-10-18 5:22 AM On Saturday, my primary training partner was in a bike accident.  A car backed out of a driveway in front of him, and he went over the bars.  Broken collar bone and shattered elbow.  They had to do surgery on the elbow.

Bob is a TNT coach, racing since the 80's, he has raised a lot of money for charities over the years, has completed more races than he can count, BQ'd before his knees went bad, and IMFL was going to be his 5th IM.  He was raising money through the Janus Charity Challenge for FL.  He is the person who convinced me that I'm ready for an IM.

Please keep your thoughts with him as he recovers.  He is supposed to go home from the hospital today.

I'm sorry to hear this and hope he has a quick recovery.

I have to admit that heading out for my long ride Saturday, thoughts of being safe crossed my mind many times.  We are so close and for something like this to happen, well, it just sucks.
2010-10-18 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Final long ride this weekend and it felt good to be done.  To slightly borrow a phrase from MC Hammer, "Alright, Stop.... Taper Time!"

I hear these pants are available at the Expo if anyone is looking for new bike pants, its the "anti-compression theory."

Edited by cjkelly0729 2010-10-18 8:43 AM
2010-10-18 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

millarg - 2010-10-18 8:41 AM Been reading IMFL race reports and found this from 2005

I have done the race 3 times and there has always been a water station between loops.  No guarantees but if they stay true to form then YES.  Personally i think its a crap shoot on positioning.  08 and 09 I positioned myself in the exact same spot.  08 I had the best swim, last year I got the crap kicked out of me and had bruises all over me thru the wetsuit.  Last year, of the 2400 people in the race only 500 were women so I think that might be part of why it was such a boxing match.  Also there was a guy near me who CLEARLY did not want to get chicked on the swim and would punch me whenever I tried to pass him.  I finally gave his hip a firm push away from me because really enough was enough.  DOn't be a jerk.  In general I don't htink the contact is malicious.

This is the way I look at it.  There can only be so many people around you really so its no worse than a crowded oly like St. Anthony's.  Its actually pretty fun.  Take advantage of any drafting you can esp on the first loop as it spreads out a bit on the second.  Swim a whole loop of the course beforehand so you can get an idea of landmarks to sight off of.  I would suggest darker goggles rather than lighter ones as across the top you are swimming directly into the rising sun. 

Edited by Socks 2010-10-18 9:06 AM

2010-10-18 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Bummer!!! Triathlete's worst nightmare! Specially being so close to the race!
Wish him best of luck, hope to see you both next year at the start line!

TriMyBest - 2010-10-18 6:22 AM On Saturday, my primary training partner was in a bike accident.  A car backed out of a driveway in front of him, and he went over the bars.  Broken collar bone and shattered elbow.  They had to do surgery on the elbow.

2010-10-18 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
I developed some painful aching (tendonitis?) in my left achilles over the last week. I felt a nag on Tuesday but played through, including a 20.5 mile run on Saturday where I felt some mild pain at about 4 miles in but kept going, convincing myself I have to get mentally tough. Well, woke up for my 100 mile ride on Sunday and couldn't push with my left foot at all. Tried to warm it up/stretch for 4 miles, but had to turn around. Been limping around, popping Ibuprofin, stayed couch-bound yesterday and am trying to stay off it (thanks, desk job!) for another day or two. I refuse to think the unthinkable yet but need to share.

Anyway, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and then I read about Bob. I have a better perspective now. Thanks also for posting the "it's better to go in a bit under-trained than injured" message. I'm repeating that to myself hourly.

2010-10-18 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3157845

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Akrakowski - 2010-10-18 11:23 AM I developed some painful aching (tendonitis?) in my left achilles over the last week. I felt a nag on Tuesday but played through, including a 20.5 mile run on Saturday where I felt some mild pain at about 4 miles in but kept going, convincing myself I have to get mentally tough. Well, woke up for my 100 mile ride on Sunday and couldn't push with my left foot at all. Tried to warm it up/stretch for 4 miles, but had to turn around. Been limping around, popping Ibuprofin, stayed couch-bound yesterday and am trying to stay off it (thanks, desk job!) for another day or two. I refuse to think the unthinkable yet but need to share. Anyway, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and then I read about Bob. I have a better perspective now. Thanks also for posting the "it's better to go in a bit under-trained than injured" message. I'm repeating that to myself hourly.

I think there is an achilles tendinitis epidemic on BT right now.  Ice rest, go to walmart and get a night splint, stretch your calf lots.  The night splint has helped me SO MUCH I can't even tell you.  Sometimes running specific stores sell them.  Bottom line is its someting that is an annoyance but most likely will result in no long term issues....a shattered elbow on the other hand...no so good   Poor guy.

2010-10-18 11:15 AM

User image

Crested Butte
millarg - 2010-10-18 6:41 AM Been reading IMFL race reports and found this from 2005

They had one at the mid point last year, I would think they will this year. For me the salt wasn't an issue, but the swells picked up on race day and a bit of gator aide helped settle the stomach. Positioning is definitely a crap shoot but the reality is that if you aren't out front at the first turn you will be in the mix on the first lap. IMFL was the largest mass start I had been in, at the first turn it was comical; you had hundreds of swimmers basically treading water slowly making their way through the group. The best advice I can give on the first IMFL swim lap, relax; by the time you get by the bouys (sp) and are headed to the beach things have already thinned out and swimming becomes much more enjoyable.
2010-10-18 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Did 80+ on the bike Saturday and felt great getting off it, nutrition good, fluids good, legs good. Tried going for a long run Sunday but my stomach wasn't having it for some reason (well the reason is likely poor eating habits and drinking habits) Tried for a run this morning but could only suffer through about 7 miles. The good news is my legs feel great so I just need to fix the stomach cramps and then I'll be good to go. Fortunately I have three weeks to clean up the diet and get ready for the race.

Last big week with a century and brick coming up this Saturday and then taperrr. Stay safe out there!

2010-10-18 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
The 2010 Athlete Guide is up on the website!
2010-10-18 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3158811

User image

Champion
MA
jaro0606 - 2010-10-18 4:48 PM The 2010 Athlete Guide is up on the website!

Cool..makes it feel much more real...we're next
2010-10-18 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3158844

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
KathyG - 2010-10-18 4:03 PM
jaro0606 - 2010-10-18 4:48 PM The 2010 Athlete Guide is up on the website!

Cool..makes it feel much more real...we're next

We should have bib numbers by the end of the week, right?
2010-10-18 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3158811

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
jaro0606 - 2010-10-18 3:48 PM The 2010 Athlete Guide is up on the website!

ahhh. finally found the link. Internet Explorer sux!

Edited by TXNick 2010-10-18 4:57 PM
2010-10-18 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3158961

User image

Champion
MA
TXNick - 2010-10-18 5:54 PM
jaro0606 - 2010-10-18 3:48 PM The 2010 Athlete Guide is up on the website!
link???

click on athlete guide on right side

2010-10-18 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
So I have a cold now.  I could feel it coming on all last week and cut out a couple of little workouts to make sure I was as healthy as possible going into my last long weekend of training.  Made it through the weekend okay, but now I am definitely sick.  Stuffy head, sore throat, starting to cough up stuff and a bit of a headache/body ache.  Typical cold stuff.  Coach said to "cut way back" and get better.  I'm wondering how much is way back.  I'll send him an e-mail, but what would the rest of you do?  complete rest?  only light activity?  Complete rest doesn't seem like a smart idea to me during taper...
2010-10-18 5:07 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I am sorry to hear about your friend and training partner.

2010-10-18 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3158977

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Me too.  I have been feeling like crap for about a week now.  I had to go to the doc today.  Respiratory infection... damn allergies!  Zithromax for the next few days.

That didn't stop me from doing a 109 mile bike/6 mile run brick yesterday though.  I don't have time to be sick. 
2010-10-18 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3158977

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Daffodil - 2010-10-18 5:59 PM So I have a cold now.  I could feel it coming on all last week and cut out a couple of little workouts to make sure I was as healthy as possible going into my last long weekend of training.  Made it through the weekend okay, but now I am definitely sick.  Stuffy head, sore throat, starting to cough up stuff and a bit of a headache/body ache.  Typical cold stuff.  Coach said to "cut way back" and get better.  I'm wondering how much is way back.  I'll send him an e-mail, but what would the rest of you do?  complete rest?  only light activity?  Complete rest doesn't seem like a smart idea to me during taper...

You should follow your coaches advice.  A couple of days off at this point is better than dragging a cold out for several days/weeks trying to train through it.

I am following my own advice as I have come down with some sort of fever/bug of some sort.  Fever and achiness are the only symptom so really don't know.  A little better this afternoon, but an extra rest day is in order.

2010-10-18 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, another question.  I read through the athletes guide tonight.  It says "Absolutely no communication devices"  It also says that athletes should have a communication plan.  So which is it?  are we allowed to carry cell phones or not?

2010-10-18 7:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I ordered a athlete tracker that uploads to website that will show exactly where I am on the bike and run course.

Anyone else considered ordering one?

They aren't going to be at IMFL so you need to have it shipped so it is about $45.

Don't think you can carry a cell phone on the course.

I have helped athletes when I spectating calling their spouse to tell them where they were and when they expected they would finish. If you hope to do that write cell phone, your name and your spouses name on a piece of paper and ask spectators if they would make a call for you.
2010-10-18 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3159151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
KathyG - 2010-10-18 7:05 PM I ordered a athlete tracker that uploads to website that will show exactly where I am on the bike and run course.

Anyone else considered ordering one?

They aren't going to be at IMFL so you need to have it shipped so it is about $45.

Don't think you can carry a cell phone on the course.

I have helped athletes when I spectating calling their spouse to tell them where they were and when they expected they would finish. If you hope to do that write cell phone, your name and your spouses name on a piece of paper and ask spectators if they would make a call for you.

I planned on doing the myathletegps and thought they would be at IMFL.  Thanks for the heads up.  I need to order one.

2010-10-18 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3159165

User image

Elite
SE
im in denial about my upper respiratory virus too. took the day off but not after i had tri-ghost drag me 127 bike miles yesterday.

im going to look at that myathletegps.com

also, i sent out several of abbier's packing list bu tnow cant find it. tri-abetic wants it and i could use it again. can someone send it back to me?
2010-10-18 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I am not sick yet, but I am getting a flu shot tomorrow...so it's only a matter of time. ;-)

Kidding...the flu shot doesn't give you the flu.  
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104