BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-31 5:15 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by glfprncs

This morning I ran my first EVER stand alone 5K race. Oddly enough, when I began running in October of 2011, my first running race was a half marathon in Feb. of 2012. I then ran 3 more half marathons, a full marathon in 2013, and got into triathlon and have finished 2 sprints, 2 Olympics and 2 half Ironman races.

I've been working really hard over the past 2 months on getting faster. As one who always finishes at the bottom of the pack (and was running 10:30-11:15 miles all summer and fall), I decided that 2015 was the year that Nancy got faster. I chose not to sign up for the half Ironman race that is literally 5 minutes from my house and focus on getting faster at shorter distances.

I've had some really good runs over the past few months, and I went into today's race with the idea in my head that I'd like to average a 9:30 consistent pace for 3 solid miles. I ran 9:32 in mile 1 and felt good, so picked up the pace. Mile two went by in 9:09 and I was getting winded, but the legs felt solid, so I pushed it just a bit more. Mile 3 I ran in 8:53, picked up the pace a smidge more the final 0.1 to the finish line and finished in 28:49 (9:10 pace overall).

I'm really pleased. I probably could've pushed myself a bit more and ran it, perhaps, another 45-60 seconds faster, but I definitely was running at a pace that was "comfortably uncomfortable." I finished 3rd in my age group (2nd place and a really awesome doggy gift basket was ONLY 12 seconds ahead of me. If she'd had her age on her left calf, I woud've hunted her down!), 21st of 117 women and 70th of 335 starters (so I finished in the top 25% which makes me happy). The absolute icing on the cake, though, is when a gentleman came up to me after the race and said, "I tried to catch you for the last 1.5 miles and you just kept getting faster. I couldn't keep up."

I'm running a few 10Ks this spring with the goal of finishing in under an hour. My main triathlon goal is to carry that running speed off the bike. By the end of the summer, I'd like to be able to go sub 60 minutes in the run during an Olympic tri.

Nice end to the month of January, I must say.
Great job Nancy.

Just interested in what you have been doing in training to increase your speed like this?

2015-01-31 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Stacey....hill repeats, strides and tempo miles as part of my "long slow runs"

Additionally, this is the first winter in 4 years that I haven't been training for a late Feb. half marathon or full marathon. The fact that I can focus on pace instead of building stamina has helped. I thought for awhile that I'd regret committing myself to Oly and 10K and below only races for 2015. I'm realizing that in always attempting to run/train longer distances, I was always feeling as though I was in 'catch up' mode and could never really focus on improving anything other than mileage.

Edited by glfprncs 2015-01-31 5:37 PM
2015-01-31 5:34 PM
in reply to: #5089244

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Oh...and I've been working with a nutritionist who has opened my eyes to meal planning for endurance training.
2015-01-31 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs This morning I ran my first EVER stand alone 5K race. Oddly enough, when I began running in October of 2011, my first running race was a half marathon in Feb. of 2012. I then ran 3 more half marathons, a full marathon in 2013, and got into triathlon and have finished 2 sprints, 2 Olympics and 2 half Ironman races. I've been working really hard over the past 2 months on getting faster. As one who always finishes at the bottom of the pack (and was running 10:30-11:15 miles all summer and fall), I decided that 2015 was the year that Nancy got faster. I chose not to sign up for the half Ironman race that is literally 5 minutes from my house and focus on getting faster at shorter distances. I've had some really good runs over the past few months, and I went into today's race with the idea in my head that I'd like to average a 9:30 consistent pace for 3 solid miles. I ran 9:32 in mile 1 and felt good, so picked up the pace. Mile two went by in 9:09 and I was getting winded, but the legs felt solid, so I pushed it just a bit more. Mile 3 I ran in 8:53, picked up the pace a smidge more the final 0.1 to the finish line and finished in 28:49 (9:10 pace overall). I'm really pleased. I probably could've pushed myself a bit more and ran it, perhaps, another 45-60 seconds faster, but I definitely was running at a pace that was "comfortably uncomfortable." I finished 3rd in my age group (2nd place and a really awesome doggy gift basket was ONLY 12 seconds ahead of me. If she'd had her age on her left calf, I woud've hunted her down!), 21st of 117 women and 70th of 335 starters (so I finished in the top 25% which makes me happy). The absolute icing on the cake, though, is when a gentleman came up to me after the race and said, "I tried to catch you for the last 1.5 miles and you just kept getting faster. I couldn't keep up." I'm running a few 10Ks this spring with the goal of finishing in under an hour. My main triathlon goal is to carry that running speed off the bike. By the end of the summer, I'd like to be able to go sub 60 minutes in the run during an Olympic tri. Nice end to the month of January, I must say.

Woo hoo!  It sounds like a you are having fun executing your plan.  Keep up the great work :-)

2015-02-01 12:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

The final tally for the SMMMMC is in.  Before I announce the results, I want to thank Salty for issuing the challenge and congratulate ALL the participants for putting in their best efforts.  Even if you didn't manage 100%, you still did a heck of a lot of swimming, biking, running, walking, yoga, home improvement, skiing, push-ups, and other stuff this past month.  It's been fun reading your blogs and getting to know the new Manatees better.  Also, please forgive me if the stats aren't completely accurate.  I did the best I could.  It's my DH who's the statistician, not me, and he's safely ensconced at the other end of the couch, far from the flippery grasp of the Manatees.  (Well, not far from MY flippers, but he hasn't been sucked into the Pod except vicariously--YET.)  Okay, I'm starting to sound like I'm at the Oscars or something, so moving right along...

A big shout-out to 8 out of 21 of us for achieving their goals all 31 days this month.  WOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!  Somebody buy Adrienne (asalzwed/Salty), Judi (QueenZipp), Chris (cdban66), Janyne (jmkizer), TJ (rrrunner), Ann-Marie (amd723), Steve (popsracer), and Darren (Richardsdrr) beers to reward them for their superior showing!  Salty and TJ, I'll get you two the next time you're in town.  The rest of you are gonna have to make your own arrangements.

Here are the rest of the no-less-impressive results:

• 97% - 3 people
  • 94% - 1 person
  • 90% - 2 people
  • 87% - 2 people
  • 81% - 1 person
  • 71% - 1 person
  • 61% - 1 person
  • 52% - 1 person

Way to go, Manatees!!  Keep up the good work!!

2015-02-01 9:48 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Good good stuff going on which I'll get to yas on

But first, please, a moment of silence ... prayers, love, whatever you've got, any leftover chickens, etc.

Smoky was OK when I got back to Bali in the afternoon (Hobbit Maid said he'd been eating well and very bouncy as usual this week ... she's golden, usually my pets are in better shape when I return than when I left). Then declined rapidly with diarrhea fever and lethargy and only wanted to sleep (pic 2 was at the vet's just a few hours later in the evening).

He has panleukopenia which has a very grim prognosis. He's on supportive care in the hospital.

I feel like the world's worst cat mom though there isn't much I could have done differently. I don't think I could have left Nicky dying on his trash heap (probably how Smoky got the panleuko) and in terms of keeping them separate, sterilizing in between, cleaning areas, sterilizing the whole faching house and everything in it when Nicky died, honestly, the work Hobbit Maid and I put in was nothing short of heroic. So. Much. Bleach solution. and Love.

I still haven't felt this awful in a long time. After all the great spirit and strength Smoky's shown to come this far, I hope he can squeeze through again.

2015-02-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

The final tally for the SMMMMC is in. 

Adrienne (asalzwed/Salty), Judi (QueenZipp), Chris (cdban66), Janyne (jmkizer), TJ (rrrunner), Ann-Marie (amd723), Steve (popsracer), and Darren (Richardsdrr)

EEEEYAAAAAHOOOO congratulations all winners and participants for great progress!!!

2015-02-01 9:58 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by glfprncs This morning I ran my first EVER stand alone 5K race. Oddly enough, when I began running in October of 2011, my first running race was a half marathon in Feb. of 2012. I then ran 3 more half marathons, a full marathon in 2013, and got into triathlon and have finished 2 sprints, 2 Olympics and 2 half Ironman races. I've been working really hard over the past 2 months on getting faster. As one who always finishes at the bottom of the pack (and was running 10:30-11:15 miles all summer and fall), I decided that 2015 was the year that Nancy got faster. I chose not to sign up for the half Ironman race that is literally 5 minutes from my house and focus on getting faster at shorter distances. I've had some really good runs over the past few months, and I went into today's race with the idea in my head that I'd like to average a 9:30 consistent pace for 3 solid miles. I ran 9:32 in mile 1 and felt good, so picked up the pace. Mile two went by in 9:09 and I was getting winded, but the legs felt solid, so I pushed it just a bit more. Mile 3 I ran in 8:53, picked up the pace a smidge more the final 0.1 to the finish line and finished in 28:49 (9:10 pace overall). I'm really pleased. I probably could've pushed myself a bit more and ran it, perhaps, another 45-60 seconds faster, but I definitely was running at a pace that was "comfortably uncomfortable." I finished 3rd in my age group (2nd place and a really awesome doggy gift basket was ONLY 12 seconds ahead of me. If she'd had her age on her left calf, I woud've hunted her down!), 21st of 117 women and 70th of 335 starters (so I finished in the top 25% which makes me happy). The absolute icing on the cake, though, is when a gentleman came up to me after the race and said, "I tried to catch you for the last 1.5 miles and you just kept getting faster. I couldn't keep up." I'm running a few 10Ks this spring with the goal of finishing in under an hour. My main triathlon goal is to carry that running speed off the bike. By the end of the summer, I'd like to be able to go sub 60 minutes in the run during an Olympic tri. Nice end to the month of January, I must say.

Woo hoo!  It sounds like a you are having fun executing your plan.  Keep up the great work :-)

x2

GO GO GOLFIE!

2015-02-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

A milestone for me today as well: 12 years sober today.

Much to the immense relief of everyone around me, especially those who knew me back then, but anyone in any kind of contact with me now would be, too, I assure you!

Yes, folks, I know it's hard to believe, but this is actually the way I am SOBER ... see what I mean? Just imagine!

It's hard to know what to say. I certainly didn't get here myself--I couldn't--and everyone here has been a part of this journey.

A journey which, ultimately, means that I didn't give up anything at all: what I gained was a hugely blessed life I couldn't have imagined existing (for anyone) before, and a rich, benevolent universe full of extraordinary beings to share it with, who share theirs with me.

Love and thanks to you all

2015-02-01 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Much to the immense relief of everyone around me, especially those who knew me back then, but anyone in any kind of contact with me now would be, too, I assure you!

Yes, folks, I know it's hard to believe, but this is actually the way I am SOBER ... see what I mean? Just imagine!

It's hard to know what to say. I certainly didn't get here myself--I couldn't--and everyone here has been a part of this journey.

A journey which, ultimately, means that I didn't give up anything at all: what I gained was a hugely blessed life I couldn't have imagined existing (for anyone) before, and a rich, benevolent universe full of extraordinary beings to share it with, who share theirs with me.

Congrats Yanti - a lot tougher and longer than a 30 day challenge to be 12 years in... but still one day at a time, right?  Very happy for you.    (and any excess karma is heading right toward the kitteh)

Congrats also the WEINERS of the activity challenge!  Well done and great consistency (such super pod folk!).

Congrats also to the participants broadly.  Engaging is such an important part of improving, yeh?

Matt

2015-02-01 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations, that is a major milestone!

So sorry about kitty.  Fingers crossed that he will fight through.

2015-02-01 11:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

congrats

I know exactly how it feels!

So sorry about kitty though

and Mary - awesome job in both your activities but keeping track of this crazy crew's activities too!!

Well I'm back from skiing - beat to hell. headed out soon to snowshoe **sigh** back to IM training tomorrow. DH should be posting up some pics soon on FB so if you are my FRIEND (or dream to be) then you can see them

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2015-02-01 11:03 AM
2015-02-01 11:16 AM

User image

Congrats, Yanti! 12 years is quite the accomplishment.

I'm sending many positive thoughts, hugs, and ear scratches to Smoky (and his mommy). Lilo is sending positive kitty vibes as well.
2015-02-01 11:28 AM

User image

Congrats on a great race!
2015-02-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Yanti, many many congrats on 12 years sober!!! So much more I could say so I'll leave it there.

Kitteh prayers for you and Smokey.
2015-02-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Whenever corduroy pillows are sold, they make head-lines. 

Bah-dum-CHING.  That one never gets tired.

You sure? Sounds like it's ready to be put to bed.

You're so full of bunk.

I am the Queen.

You're all sidelinedMy twisted head is thinking I could do my descending marathon in May and ascend with Salty in August :-)Oh and take my azz off the DL, I just did 5 miles
yes! The crazy thing about ascending is that yes, it's hard at the time but it doesn't beat your legs up the same way a road race on asphalt does. Do it!

2015-02-01 3:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Huge congrats to Nancy and Yanti both!
2015-02-01 4:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Yanti,
You have earned so many victories over the last few years. I applaud your 12 year success. I also have to say that success is in 2nd place to the amount of LOVE, CARING, and SUPPORT you have given so freely to so many creatures of this world. YOU are a bright spot for many more people than you realize or know.

Your will to fight and live is in Smokey. As is the support of all of us.

.99 pure silver
2015-02-01 4:10 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Good good stuff going on which I'll get to yas on

But first, please, a moment of silence ... prayers, love, whatever you've got, any leftover chickens, etc.

Smoky was OK when I got back to Bali in the afternoon (Hobbit Maid said he'd been eating well and very bouncy as usual this week ... she's golden, usually my pets are in better shape when I return than when I left). Then declined rapidly with diarrhea fever and lethargy and only wanted to sleep (pic 2 was at the vet's just a few hours later in the evening).

He has panleukopenia which has a very grim prognosis. He's on supportive care in the hospital.

I feel like the world's worst cat mom though there isn't much I could have done differently. I don't think I could have left Nicky dying on his trash heap (probably how Smoky got the panleuko) and in terms of keeping them separate, sterilizing in between, cleaning areas, sterilizing the whole faching house and everything in it when Nicky died, honestly, the work Hobbit Maid and I put in was nothing short of heroic. So. Much. Bleach solution. and Love.

I still haven't felt this awful in a long time. After all the great spirit and strength Smoky's shown to come this far, I hope he can squeeze through again.

Oh no!!!!!!!  Tell him he's not allowed to be on the DL and rest assured that no chicken or mini-goat (that's all they allow here within the Denver city limits) is safe.  So much love and many many many healing thoughts to both of you.

2015-02-01 4:19 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm SO SO proud of you, dearest Yanti.  Troy is right, you are such a bright spot in the lives of others and I know you've worked really hard to get there.  Reaching out and admitting that we can't do everything alone takes more courage than not and the more we reach out, the more we receive.  Sometimes deeply caring means being deeply hurt, but by the same token, it means also being able to feel great joy.  You care so deeply and are so open and generous (and funny as hell!) and the world is a better place because of you, even if you may not feel like that sometimes!!  (((((((Huge hugs)))))))

2015-02-01 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I don't think that I have told you how much I admire you, lately.    Still do, in spades.      Oo Rah for my courageous palawan.

2015-02-01 10:38 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Dayton

The janitor's union called for sweeping changes.

2015-02-01 11:03 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

That's just too bad for a Monday morning.
2015-02-01 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Congratulations Yanti!

I am so glad that you are part of my life you bring warmth and happiness and sunshine along with you.

Sending best wishes for Smokey, hoping that he continues to defy the odds and gets better.
2015-02-01 11:12 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK

That's just too bad for a Monday morning.

I think he just wants to start the week with a clean slate.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55500 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.