BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-03-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3417956

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
suzimmer - 2011-03-28 1:01 PM

Congrats to all who had great races'/workouts this past weekend!  All your hard work is showing results.  Keep it up!

For me, the recovery is progressing.  The leg is feeling better. Although I am a bit achy in the hip area, my initial complaint, the bad pain running down the inside of my thigh is gone.  I'm getting PT twice a week, doing my exercises daily and today am going to a chiropractor I know from the club. I decided I can't go to my favorite chiro because he's just too far. This other guy is local.  I've seen him for acupuncture and he is a certified tri coach. Thought I'd see what he has to say.

I also just emailed the St. Louis Marathon to see if I can switch my registration to the half. I find as the date gets closer the more bummed I get that I'm not racing.  Already know that they will not defer my registration to next year, so thought I'd see. (I know, I know....just let it go...it's only one race...be smart....)  Why is this so hard for me?  I'm a rational, intelligent person.  I will be there to support my friends, but I know it's going to kill me not being able to run in it too.   Figured, I have 3 hours to do the half.  Last half I did was a 1:50, so I could do a run/walk in 3.Laughing

Someone, please save me from myself.

I was signed up to do a half with my husband and had to drop him off... and drive back home. I seriously thought about parking the car, and sneaking into the back of the pack. It was ALL I could do to drive away. I'm glad I did... but I cried all the way home. AND I have the stupid shirt in my closet! along with the others I had to cancel. It really f'ing sucks. I am still having a tough time accepting that my foot hurts because I did too much. I'm kind of an all or nothing person... on to the next thing. But this... this is tough. Net net, I will be VERY PROUD OF YOU if you just let it go. You can call me... we can commiserate. Just don't hurt yourself.

2011-03-28 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3418134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
stephsprint - 2011-03-28 1:18 PM

Congrats to all who had great races'/workouts this past weekend!  All your hard work is showing results.  Keep it up!

For me, the recovery is progressing.  The leg is feeling better. Although I am a bit achy in the hip area, my initial complaint, the bad pain running down the inside of my thigh is gone.  I'm getting PT twice a week, doing my exercises daily and today am going to a chiropractor I know from the club. I decided I can't go to my favorite chiro because he's just too far. This other guy is local.  I've seen him for acupuncture and he is a certified tri coach. Thought I'd see what he has to say.

I also just emailed the St. Louis Marathon to see if I can switch my registration to the half. I find as the date gets closer the more bummed I get that I'm not racing.  Already know that they will not defer my registration to next year, so thought I'd see. (I know, I know....just let it go...it's only one race...be smart....)  Why is this so hard for me?  I'm a rational, intelligent person.  I will be there to support my friends, but I know it's going to kill me not being able to run in it too.   Figured, I have 3 hours to do the half.  Last half I did was a 1:50, so I could do a run/walk in 3.Laughing

I was signed up to do a half with my husband and had to drop him off... and drive back home. I seriously thought about parking the car, and sneaking into the back of the pack. It was ALL I could do to drive away. I'm glad I did... but I cried all the way home. AND I have the stupid shirt in my closet! along with the others I had to cancel. It really f'ing sucks. I am still having a tough time accepting that my foot hurts because I did too much. I'm kind of an all or nothing person... on to the next thing. But this... this is tough. Net net, I will be VERY PROUD OF YOU if you just let it go. You can call me... we can commiserate. Just don't hurt yourself.

I'm icing my left knee again...pain sucks.  Same reason I'm told.  I do what is in front of me to do and my 59 year old body rebels.  It's the run with me.    Got to figure out how to train for the run without getting hurt.  Might be a tough job.  Fact is I can get my goal done, finish an IM, by doing a 1:45 swim, a 6 hour bike and pretty much jogging a marathon.  It might come to that.  My coach has been preparing me to bust it...  Problem is I may be the one who gets busted.  Have to play it smart. If I cross at 16:30, I am totally good with that.

2011-03-28 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Elite
Got a great laugh today...our high school's newspaper came out today.  The students voted on a teacher Who's Who list.  Guess which teacher was voted Most Athletic?!  Meeeee!  When I was actually IN high school I would have been voted Most Sluggish.  Guess it just took me 25 years to find my athlete! 
2011-03-28 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Time Flies! 

It's hard to believe how much can change in 3 short months! 

We've had a number of people set PR's already this year.
We've had a few people do their first race (ever) or first race of the season.

Congratulations!! 

We've had a few people experience injury-related setbacks. 

Remember, nothing is a given.  Cherish the opportunity to be active, to swim, bike, or run.  You never know when you won't be able to (and hopefully, it's temporary). 

We've had a few people re-assess goals and priorities. 

Nothing wrong with taking a periodic inventory of what you think you want to do with the precious moments we have on earth.  The reality is that we often have to pick and choose what to invest our time and energy doing.  While it's possible to defer some goals, see the above. 

You (collectively) have swam, biked, and ran a LOT!  There have been a few pounds shed (but nobody is owning up to how much).  Hopefully, this is a lifestyle.  As the weather warms, it'll be easier to get outside and continue the workouts. 

Hopefully, you've managed to connect with a few people.  People you'd like to stay in contact with over the year.  Ask questions.  Commisserate.  Inspire.  Be inspired by. 

Take a few minutes, and reflect on the good things that have happened to you in 2011 and maybe dream a bit of what is yet to come this year. 

I'll continue to monitor this thread.  Hopefully, I'll be able to visit logs periodically too. 

2011-03-28 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Congrats Enrique and Janet on your PR's!!!!!

Makes me want to get out and race, alas I have another month to wait

2011-03-28 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hot and humid today. Our "season" is nearing it's end just as everyone else in the country begins theirs. Our golf season is ending too. Soon it will be too miserable to do anything after about 9am.

But swimming is always available and biking is good early, at least until you stop moving!! I started running in June last year, so I think that easing back into it now makes some sense for me.

Here's to the off-season!

2011-03-28 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3418722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

I put up my race report.  It was really a great one for me.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=246388

2011-03-29 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3419069

Veteran
ecpasos - 2011-03-28 11:17 PM

**** You did GREAT .... CONGRATULATIONS!!! ****  YOUR AWESOME!!! Wink

2011-03-30 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Say it isn't so!   Is today our last official day of the group?

It was great meeting everyone and watching the progress. Continue with your training and have a fantastic season.  Good luck everyone!  

2011-03-30 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3420765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Ree - 2011-03-29 6:39 PM
ecpasos - 2011-03-28 11:17 PM

**** You did GREAT .... CONGRATULATIONS!!! ****  YOUR AWESOME!!! Wink

Thanks to everyone for the comments here and on the RR.  I had fun writing this one.  Wasn't sure I should put the part about my MOFO moment but I thought it was the truth so why not.   

2011-03-30 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3421530

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
suzimmer - 2011-03-30 11:11 AM

It was great meeting everyone and watching the progress. Continue with your training and have a fantastic season.  Good luck everyone!  

Ahem...NO!!  Today is NOT the last official day of the group!  (Tomorrow is...)

Now is a time to reflect on your successes so far this year and what your new goals are.  (Some because they've met their goals from the first of the year, others because circumstances have changed and the goals are no longer appropriate.

It's easy to get caught up in life and never stop to celebrate the accomplishments.  Please, please, please don't do this to me (or yourself).

Here's my challenge to everyone as we officially "close the books" on this mentor group:

Go back and re-read your introductory posts, the first 10 posts you made to this thread, and your blog entries from December and January.  Reflect for a few moments on how far you've progressed since then and what notable accomplishments you've had so far this year (and they don't have to be tri-related). 

I'll start with a couple things worthy of celebration:
I swam a 15:58 Time Trial (1000 yards) a couple weeks ago. 
I ran a 1:45:43 half-marathon! 
I've dropped 5 pounds (and several people have commented that I look like I've lost weight)
I've averaged about 30 hours of training a month in spite of some ugly weather and chaos at work. 

I'll also celebrate people in the group who have already completed AMAZING races this year.  I've seen some "PR's" thrown around and some "first-ever's" too. 
I'll celebrate that our ranks of non-smokers has grown. 
I'll celebrate that some people haven't shared their weight loss successes this year because "they're still working on it" 
(celebrate anyways!  what makes you think losing 10, 20, 35, or 50 pounds is only worth a single "WOOT!" ?

I plan to hang around.  I'll continue to answer questions and hopefully inspire people to dream and take a few risks in life. 

2011-03-30 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3422519

User image

Master
Orlando
McFuzz - 2011-03-30 7:30 PM

Now is a time to reflect on your successes so far this year and what your new goals are.  (Some because they've met their goals from the first of the year, others because circumstances have changed and the goals are no longer appropriate.

It's easy to get caught up in life and never stop to celebrate the accomplishments.  Please, please, please don't do this to me (or yourself).

Here's my challenge to everyone as we officially "close the books" on this mentor group:

Go back and re-read your introductory posts, the first 10 posts you made to this thread, and your blog entries from December and January.  Reflect for a few moments on how far you've progressed since then and what notable accomplishments you've had so far this year (and they don't have to be tri-related). 

I'll start with a couple things worthy of celebration:
I swam a 15:58 Time Trial (1000 yards) a couple weeks ago. 
I ran a 1:45:43 half-marathon! 
I've dropped 5 pounds (and several people have commented that I look like I've lost weight)
I've averaged about 30 hours of training a month in spite of some ugly weather and chaos at work. 

I'll also celebrate people in the group who have already completed AMAZING races this year.  I've seen some "PR's" thrown around and some "first-ever's" too. 
I'll celebrate that our ranks of non-smokers has grown. 
I'll celebrate that some people haven't shared their weight loss successes this year because "they're still working on it" 
(celebrate anyways!  what makes you think losing 10, 20, 35, or 50 pounds is only worth a single "WOOT!" ?

I plan to hang around.  I'll continue to answer questions and hopefully inspire people to dream and take a few risks in life. 

It's hard to believe it has been 3 (or more) months since the McFuzzies formed!  Unfortunately for me, those months have been more about injury and readjusting my goals then anything.

My marathon turned into a half marathon.  On the sort of plus side, although not a PR, I ran a pretty good time (1:54).

I've had to back way off running because of a possible meniscus tear.  My run fitness has really tanked, but my knee seems to be healing.

I bought a new bikeLaughing.

I've gotten to be part of others' successes and have been the recipient of many kind inspires.  On the downside, I wish I had  inspired others more.

Thanks for a fun 3 months!

Ann-Marie

2011-03-30 8:24 PM

User image

Longview, Texas

Time flies when we are having fun right?!?!?!Laughing

It was a really good 3 months and I think that this group helped me to keep running and riding the bike, I know discipline isn't my strong suit but I'm working on it.

It was really nice to see so many people getting their goals and see that it IS possible to get there.

I still have 2 more races this year one coming in May and another in October.

Good Luck to all McFuzzies out there, Smile

2011-03-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3416931

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-27 7:41 PM

Great races this weekend!  PRs all around!

I had a big swim day...1.5 miles nonstop--three loops around Blue Lake.  I really really really have come to love swimming.  It is so Zen for me.  The rhythm, the breathing, I just love it.

Who would have ever thought, huh?  I felt the exact same way last summer when I started training for the IMKY.  By far my favorite of the three is swimming.  In fact I love it so much that I have started looking into marathon swim races around the country to shoot for next year.  There is nothing cooler than telling people that I swam almost 100 mile last summer.

2011-03-30 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3418271

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
IceManScott - 2011-03-28 2:09 PM
stephsprint - 2011-03-28 1:18 PM

I'm icing my left knee again...pain sucks.  Same reason I'm told.  I do what is in front of me to do and my 59 year old body rebels.  It's the run with me.    Got to figure out how to train for the run without getting hurt.  Might be a tough job.  Fact is I can get my goal done, finish an IM, by doing a 1:45 swim, a 6 hour bike and pretty much jogging a marathon.  It might come to that.  My coach has been preparing me to bust it...  Problem is I may be the one who gets busted.  Have to play it smart. If I cross at 16:30, I am totally good with that.

Take it from me, Ice...  If you finish in 13:30 or 16:30 in a few months later when you tell people you did 140.6 miles, they are just as astonished no matter the time.   Finishing the race is just the icing on the cake.  The real reward is the road to Ironman.

From all my training I fully expected to be somewhere around 14 hours... Ended being the very last one allowed to cross the finish line with a time of 16:35 right at midnight, and it was one of the proudest moments of my entire life.  A "Finish" is a win in the world or Ironman.

If you are interested, see my Race Report here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=227055

2011-03-30 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

No sure if any of you have seen on the national news this week, but we had group of four high school seniors (football quarterback and others) on their way home from spring break that were hit head on and killed on I-65 in Alabama.  Been a pretty tough week in our small town, but we are all pulling together amazingly well.  I have personally made 1,400 window decals for all the students, and adults affected to put on their vehicles (In loving memory style) It has been a long week and I am glad we are past the hump.

BUT - as of tonight at 8:00 I have decided it is time to change my focus!  My first race of the year will be Saturday.  It is an indoor/outdoor sprint at Purdue (swim in the pool, then ride and run outside).  I just installed a new hitch style rack on our G6 to road the bikes with and it is time to go racing!

HERE WE GO RACE FANS!

Edited by discipleguideservice 2011-03-30 9:07 PM

(188765_1964614512312_1151343445_2490401_4860431_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
188765_1964614512312_1151343445_2490401_4860431_n.jpg (66KB - 5 downloads)

2011-03-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3422519

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

Just reread my introductory post -I had 5 goals when this group started and I've met 4 of them.  The only goal I have not met is the weight loss one, which isn't quite as important as I've toned ALOT.  Was only able to run one mile without walking when we started.  I have now run a 5k and do 4 miles on the weekends without walking.  That's adding one mile a month   I did have a set back on the quitting smoking, but my original goal was to cut it in half and I have done that.

I added swimming which was not part of my plan and although I'm still not there yet and still plugging away at it.

My continued plans are to run an 8.25 mile trail run in October, swim 500 yards by the end of the summer, quit smoking again, and enjoy the bike as much as possible.  I plan on meeting 41 in the best shape in my life and celebrating the last year of change and success

Good luck to everyone else on their goals for the coming summer and remember the one thing I have learned from all of this.  Doing something is better than doing nothing and baby steps will get you there (ok two things I learned)

2011-03-30 11:39 PM
in reply to: #3422636

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-30 7:06 PM

No sure if any of you have seen on the national news this week, but we had group of four high school seniors (football quarterback and others) on their way home from spring break that were hit head on and killed on I-65 in Alabama.  Been a pretty tough week in our small town, but we are all pulling together amazingly well.  I have personally made 1,400 window decals for all the students, and adults affected to put on their vehicles (In loving memory style) It has been a long week and I am glad we are past the hump.

BUT - as of tonight at 8:00 I have decided it is time to change my focus!  My first race of the year will be Saturday.  It is an indoor/outdoor sprint at Purdue (swim in the pool, then ride and run outside).  I just installed a new hitch style rack on our G6 to road the bikes with and it is time to go racing!

HERE WE GO RACE FANS!

Sorry to hear about that tragedy.  That's terrible, but glad you are doing "good" in the midst of darknes.

Good luck on the race!  Rock it!

2011-03-31 4:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-30 9:06 PM

HERE WE GO RACE FANS!

Sorry to hear about the accident.  It is a horrible thing.

Enjoy your race!

2011-03-31 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3422691

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
GmrGirl - 2011-03-30 9:48 PM

Just reread my introductory post -I had 5 goals when this group started and I've met 4 of them.  The only goal I have not met is the weight loss one, which isn't quite as important as I've toned ALOT.  Was only able to run one mile without walking when we started.  I have now run a 5k and do 4 miles on the weekends without walking.  That's adding one mile a month   I did have a set back on the quitting smoking, but my original goal was to cut it in half and I have done that.

I added swimming which was not part of my plan and although I'm still not there yet and still plugging away at it.

My continued plans are to run an 8.25 mile trail run in October, swim 500 yards by the end of the summer, quit smoking again, and enjoy the bike as much as possible.  I plan on meeting 41 in the best shape in my life and celebrating the last year of change and success

Good luck to everyone else on their goals for the coming summer and remember the one thing I have learned from all of this.  Doing something is better than doing nothing and baby steps will get you there (ok two things I learned)

THANK YOU for playing!!  You can stay!  (You could stay even if you don't play, but it's nicer that you do.

(This is exactly what we need to do periodically for the group to continue

2011-03-31 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'll be here. You guys keep me going. I lost 7lbs, took 8 minutes off my 5k, experienced and am dealing with an injury (I will beat this), bought a new bike, started spinning again, can swim 300 without stopping...
New Goals:
Swim 500 no stopping
Run 30 mins, no walking
To run a 30 min 5k like Gmr and set and reach goals like her… dang
To do flip turns like Ree (please don’t stop posting, you are SO funny)
To deal with this injury with the grace of AMD
To hit it harder like Fuzz and Zimmer
To enjoy it like Ric and Disciple
To progress like Corn, thanks friend for the inspires
To become an athlete like the 'teach
To be a better multi-tasker like Robin and MJ and Soccermom (and all other mothers who do the most important job in the world)
To be flexible with the schedule like LauraK – how the hell do you do it?
and to be consistent, develop some discipline like ecpasos and the ICE, you guys are something else…
and Buff.. I think Buff is really one of you gals who goes into a phone booth and comes out BATGIRL … and then *poof* disappears after saving the day.. who WAS that buffed gal?

2011-03-31 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I want to stay around too.  I've done some soul searching in the past week or so and set myself some new positive goals.   I start Zumba tomorrow night and I also found myself a running coach/club. I got the deal through Zozi.com. 50% off. So it's 6 weeks of coached running - once a week - for $50.  The people that run it have a good reputation so I'm going for it.   I've been avoiding life in general since I got back from Scotland, post trip blues I think..but I can't sit around feeling like a sad sack for ever, I need to get moving and start doing stuff. Always makes me feel better.

I signed up for 2 more races too. Mud run in June and a half marathon on May 5th! Eek.  It was only $35 though. See, I'm all about cheapness. Can't deny I'm Scottish. lol
2011-03-31 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey guys!  Hard to believe it’s been 3 months already.  I’d like to still check in here once in a while.  I know I don’t post too often, but I do check in to see how everyone’s doing.   It helps to get me out the door some daysSmile

I met a few of my goals this winter/early spring.  I did well in my half-marathon (not a PR like I had hoped, but still a good time for me), I set a new PR in the 5k, and I’ve decided on a couple of sprint tri’s to do this summer/fall.  I’m still not doing as much biking and swimming as I would like, but hoping to pick that up once the weather settles down – snow at the end of March just isn’t normal for us!

So I’m thinking about not doing the 10k that’s on my schedule for the end of April.   I’ve done this race for the last 3 years and enjoy it, but there is a bike maintenance class being held on the same day, at the same time that I’m thinking about going to instead.  I’d get more out of the class than I would out of doing the race and I could always find another race to do on a different weekend.  The main reason I do this race is because it’s sponsored by the college where I work (and the fact that I like 10k’s and we don’t have too many around here).  I just think my time would be better spent learning how to take care of my bike – including changing a tire, which I still don’t know how to doEmbarassed.  That info may come in handy someday. 

Josh – sorry to hear about the teenagers.  I saw that on the news.  Thoughts and prayers going out to you and all the family and friends.  Good luck on your race this weekend! 

Also, good luck to anyone else who might be racing this weekend!

2011-03-31 9:48 AM

User image

Elite
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-30 9:06 PM

Oh geez, having just come through a tragedy in our small town, I can totally relate.  So sorry and prayers out to your town.

2011-03-31 10:12 AM

User image

Elite

Wowwww!  Three  months here and gone!  I've learned so much from all of you in this mentor group--I've been given great advice, support and many 'atta girls' in my Inspires.  Thank you McFuzzies!

If there is one thing that I'm most proud of over my past three months is my consistency and discipline.  I have not shorted or skipped a single workout.  I've done the time and distance and fought through some "I wanna quit" times.  I've had to juggle the schedule a few times, but I still hit every workout.   I've been working harder than I ever have at something and I love every minute of it!!!  I will be turning 41 on May 10th and I feel and look better than I have at any other time in my life.  Could tri training be the fountain of youth? Smile  Oh, another plus...injury free through everything so far.  My left hamstring is tweaky from an old overuse injury, but it hasn't slowed me down at all!

I will most certainly continue to check in with my McFuzzies.  I've joined the Beginner Half Ironman group now that I'm getting closer to the race (73 days but who's counting?) and my questions are becoming more HIM specific--but would still like to count on the collective wisdom here!

Thanks too to McFuzz for being here for us!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106