Lake of the Sky Trail Runners Running Club
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 3s
Overall Rank = 22/451
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/30
Pre-race routine:

The race was up in Sacramento, about 1.5 hours northeast of me. I drove the family up on Saturday and spent the night at my brothers. Grant, Brenda, and Joyce drove up separately and spent the night in a hotel in Sac. We agreed to meet up in the morning off Hwy 50 at Bradshaw. I would drop off my car at 5:30am and jump in their car. Grant would drop us off at the start line in River Bend Park and he would go the finish where the busses were waiting to bring him back to the start.
I ate lightly on Saturday, trying to stay away from fats and anything that might upset my stomach the next day. The rest of the family was enjoying the food that was being made, some traditional foods from our Central American culture – pork, yucca, beans, tortillas. It wasn’t easy but I stayed away from all of that. I ate some chips & non-spicy salsa and a turkey breast salad for dinner.
As the day came to a close, I began preparing for the race. I pulled out my race clothing -- some running shorts, my trail shoes, moisture-wicking socks, performance long-sleeve shirt that I got from the WDW Marathon last January. I attached the timing chip to my left running shoe and attached the racing bib to my race-belt. I filled up my 24oz water bottle with regular Gatorade (the blue colored kind) and added a teaspoon of salt to it to prevent hyponatremia. My sister-in-law had some hard-boiled eggs which came from her own chickens and she allowed me to have a couple so my wife peeled them for me and I put them in a ziplock and put them in the fridge next to my water bottle. I always down a full Gatorade bottle 10 min before race start so I put in the fridge also. I prepped my duffle back with anything I might need, a light wind breaker, a sweatshirt that I could throw away at the start, extra socks, underwear, sweatpants, and a hoody for after the race. I put some blister prevention patches on my feet where I usually get blisters and I wrapped my pinky toes with flex-bandaids – for additional blister prevention.

I finally hit the sack around 10pm… later than I wanted to. The kids playing and the sounds from everyone else still up kept sleep distant. I tried to calm my mind, but thoughts of my race strategy filled my head. I kept going over my game plan. Run 8 min/mi pace. Walk 15 seconds every 8 minutes. Restrain at the start. Run your own race and don’t get swept up with the herd. Drink one mouthful during every walk break. At mile 8 water station, refill the bottle. At mile 9 take the last walk break. Pick up the pace. Mile 11 gel time. Pick up the pace more. Pass the runners who are slowing down. Catch up to Grant. Pass if possible. Finish strong. Goal 1:45:00.

Finally sleep came.

Woke up at 4:16am before the alarm was set to go off at 4:30. I was wide awake so I decided to get up. I wasn’t in any kind of rush – I didn’t need to leave until 5am – so I casually went about getting ready. I put on my race clothes, strapped on my heart monitor chest strap, and donned the Garmin. I drank some water, grabbed the stuff from the fridge and threw it all into the bag. I wasn’t hungry but I ate a banana and grabbed an extra to go. 15 min before 5am, I hit the john.

On my way out the door, I realized I had no idea which direction I needed to go on the freeway to get to the meeting spot. 5 minutes on my cell phone with help from Bing Maps and I figured it out.

I get to the meeting spot, park and jump into Grant’s car. When we get to River Bend Park there’s nobody there. It’s pitch black, not a sign that any kind of event is going to be held here so we are very skeptical. But we all agree that this must be the place so we get out and stand around in the cold dark as Grant leaves for the finish line. We joke about an ax murderer in the woods. We wait and wait and our doubts are slowly erased as other cars trickle in one by one.

Event warmup:

30 minutes before go time, I start my warm up routine – 10 minutes of jogging & 4 acceleration gliders. I did this out on the course and noticed the large pond of ankle-high water that we were warned about .25 miles into the trail. You can get around it on the left side with a steep, narrow embankment, but it’s risky. I’m sure some people will try that. I decide I’m just going to run right through it during the race… it’s only 2 steps and I don’t think I’ll get too wet.

5 min before start, I find Grant 10 feet behind the start line and join him. I down my Gatorade bottle. 5-4-3-2-1. GO!
Run
  • 1h 46m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual Grant takes off ahead of me. I try to hold back, but notice 7:30 on my Garmin… “slow down” I think. I run through the pond as planned. Shoes dry? YES! Ok. Now steady at 8min/mi pace. I find 2 gals running around my pace so I stay near, slightly behind for several miles. I take my hydration/walk breaks as planned, dropping back during the break and slowly catching back up to my pace partners each time.

The miles go by uneventfully. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Pace good, body good, mind good. At mile 8, I refill my empty bottle as planned with the race offering… HEED. I take a swig and wince at the taste. Ugh! How horrible! What now? I decide to forego hydration for the rest of the race. I hope I’ve taken enough to last…

Mile 9… I take my last planned walk break. I carry on at slightly faster than 8 min/mi and slowly lose my pace partners. I reel in my first of runner.

Mile 10… my GymBoss goes off reminding me of the 15 seconds of walking I’m saving by not taking the break. I encounter some hills… pace slows down a bit… reel in a couple more runners. I see Grant up ahead about 75 yrds among a clump of runners! I speed up just a tad. I pick off another two runners.

Mile 11… The last water station; Grant is 10 yards away(!) as he exits the station, but I need a walk break as I’m feeling dizzy. I decide I need something so I take a swig of the nasty HEED and dump the rest. I count to 15 as I speed walk through and GO. When I look up, Grant is 50 yds away…oh no. “Catch him!” I pick up the pace a little more.

Mile 12… Pick off a couple more runners, one limping. Grant is no closer, still 50 yds away. He must’ve sped up! Argh. He’s among 2 other runners, a gal and a guy who I remember passing me in the early miles.

Mile 12.5… Grant is no closer. We get to a long flat 100yd stretch. “I don’t think I can catch him. I’m tired. This is how it’s going to end. He’s going to finish first. I don’t think I have it in me. I’m tired. NO! You can’t get THIS close and NOT do it. Do it NOW!” I clinch my teeth and grunt something to the effect of “DO IT YOU MOFO! “ (I really didn’t use abbreviation though) I sprint, giving it all I have. I manage to reach the Trio. And slow down…. near collapse, my legs almost buckling, screaming for a walk break. My heart is beating in my throat and ears. The thought of losing my gain keeps me moving forward through gasps of air. I manage to tailgate the Trio for a couple of minutes as I regain composure and see straight again. I move up next to Grant, rub shoulders. “Hey Buddy”, I say. He manages, “Good job…. Keep in pace?” I acknowledge and look at my Garmin. "Quarter mile" I say.

Final kick… We approach a long hill knowing we’re close to the end and keep the pedal down, motivating each other silently. As we crest, I glance back and realize we’re alone now. The final .1 is here. I can hear the cheers around the corner. “This is it!”, I yell. We both sprint and I finish just 2 seconds ahead of Grant.

Grant got 2nd place for his AG (50-54) and I took 6th in mine (40-44).
My overall pacing was great. The 1st half I did in 53:01 and the second was 53:02. Given that the hill profile was greater in the second half, I think this was a really good execution.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't count on race provided stuff that I haven't tried before.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area. Light stretching about 10 minutes after the finish.

Event comments:

Organization of the race was lacking. We didn't know where the start was exactly and Grant said that he almost didn't find the bus location. There weren't enough people to provide directions at the start. Really good BBQ that was included for all racers. Plaques for all AG placers was a nice touch.

Last updated: 2011-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:03 | 13.1 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 22/451
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-28 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: River City Half Marathon

2011-03-29 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3419061

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: River City Half Marathon
ecpasos - 2011-03-28 11:05 PM

YAY!!! I loved reading that report!!! MOFO... hee hee hee.

I want to be able to pass people. That sounds like fun!
2011-03-29 9:12 AM

User image

Longview, Texas

COngratulations!!

Great job keeping your plan and beating your time.

2011-03-29 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
What a great read - thanks for sharing!!! It sounds like a great race and I agree HEED is nasty. Congrats!
2011-03-29 10:48 AM

User image

CA
Great Job!!
2011-03-29 2:00 PM

User image

Elite

Great job...sounds like an exciting race!  I love reeling in people at the end just to get myself through those last miles.

2011-03-29 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Excellent!
2011-03-30 10:03 AM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Amazing!  Congrats on a great race!
2011-03-30 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Fantastic job on a great race Well done.
2011-03-30 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Great race and great race report.  Congrats!
2011-04-10 5:57 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Great Race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » River City Half Marathon Rss Feed