BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-30 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
I have a question on how to set up my running schedule for the next month and a half. I'm doing Boise on June 13th, so I'm now in starting to taper. I also have a full Mary on July 13th. I haven't run more than 10 miles at once, since my last Mary 4/4. I know I probably won't be at my best for the July Mary, but I do want to finish it and enjoy myself rather than have it turn into a sufferfest. I'm thinking I will keep my running frequency at 4x a week until Boise, just not long or hard runs. Then, after Boise, give myself a few days recovery and add in a 15+ mile run for the following 2 weeks, tapering the week before the Mary. Do you think this is doable? Would you suggest a different schedule for the run? Will I still have some of my endurance fitness from the last Mary to help pull me through? Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions appreciated

2009-05-30 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Suzy, you're going to kick azz on that Oly!!!
2009-05-30 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Roni, I have a similar question to pose to the group...

I have an olympic on the same day...June 13.  My thoughts for training the next two weeks:  Stick with my HIM plan which is still in the prep weeks, but kick up the intensity for this next week...doing some intervals etc.   Then dialing it way down the week of the race.  Does that sound logical?  I am thinking that since I have never trained race pace or done much speed work at all, that I should try to incorporate that in this week.
2009-05-30 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2183085

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
roni_runnw - 2009-05-30 12:07 PM I have a question on how to set up my running schedule for the next month and a half. I'm doing Boise on June 13th, so I'm now in starting to taper. I also have a full Mary on July 13th. I haven't run more than 10 miles at once, since my last Mary 4/4. I know I probably won't be at my best for the July Mary, but I do want to finish it and enjoy myself rather than have it turn into a sufferfest. I'm thinking I will keep my running frequency at 4x a week until Boise, just not long or hard runs. Then, after Boise, give myself a few days recovery and add in a 15+ mile run for the following 2 weeks, tapering the week before the Mary. Do you think this is doable? Would you suggest a different schedule for the run? Will I still have some of my endurance fitness from the last Mary to help pull me through? Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions appreciated

Hi Roni

Here is the positive first, the training you are doing for the HIM will do wonders for your endurance.  Not sure what your longest HIM training run is, but that will help. 

Now the reality.  Are you still carrying fitness from the last marathon? IMO, no way.  The fact that your longest run is 10m and you really have a week to train up for the marathon before a taper is not going to get you there.  I sense you are set on doing the marathon so the goal of having fun is a good one.  If you take it more slowly, you can probably avoid the sufferfest.  If not, prepare yourself for some tough miles.

I did back to back marathons, four weeks apart of a couple of years ago.  The first one was great, the second one was TOUGH and yes it was a sufferfest!  Not having done a HIM before I don't know if they are comaprable.

I hope this doesn't come off harsh.  It is not meant to be at all.  Just setting expectations.  Of course you are probably a bigger rock star than me!

2009-05-30 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2183114

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-05-30 12:40 PM Roni, I have a similar question to pose to the group...

I have an olympic on the same day...June 13.  My thoughts for training the next two weeks:  Stick with my HIM plan which is still in the prep weeks, but kick up the intensity for this next week...doing some intervals etc.   Then dialing it way down the week of the race.  Does that sound logical?  I am thinking that since I have never trained race pace or done much speed work at all, that I should try to incorporate that in this week.

Hey Barry

Is this Oly and A race for you? or a stepping stone to something bigger like the HIM?  I categorize my races at the beginning of the season and treat them differently.  For example, the Oly I am doing next weekend is a C race for me.  Since I have never done this distance, my goal is to feel good about the swim coming out of the water and practice fueling on the bike for the run both of which will be important for the HIM.  My overall time is pretty irrelevant.  As a result, I am training through it.  No taper, just focus on training up for my A races.  If it were an A race for me, I would be doing short bricks with practiced transitions (which I totally stink at) and no long rides or runs.

Also remember that nothing you do 10 ish days before the race will affect fitness.  It will only teach you about how your body feels at race pace after swimming, biking or running.

Hope that makes sense.

Suzy

2009-05-30 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2183233

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Team Numero Uno, finally got my ride in (32:22) not quite as fast as I would have liked given the course (it's super flat)  There was some wind and cars today but still a pretty decent time.  I was doing my best Jens Voigt impression riding into the wind, grimacing the whole time. 

One funny part I was cruising along at about 24-25 mph down in my aerobars and I hear on your left... Some dude, not wearing a helmet, sitting up riding in the hoods, just cruises on by me.  I try to ramp it up a bit and he keeps on going, to add insult to injury he started eating a powerbar or something so one hand on the bars and he just keeps pulling away from me.

That's why I always remember, there is always someone faster than you out there so don't sweat it just ride your own race.

2009-05-30 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2183272

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2009-05-30 3:04 PM

Team Numero Uno, finally got my ride in (32:22) not quite as fast as I would have liked given the course (it's super flat)  There was some wind and cars today but still a pretty decent time.  I was doing my best Jens Voigt impression riding into the wind, grimacing the whole time. 

One funny part I was cruising along at about 24-25 mph down in my aerobars and I hear on your left... Some dude, not wearing a helmet, sitting up riding in the hoods, just cruises on by me.  I try to ramp it up a bit and he keeps on going, to add insult to injury he started eating a powerbar or something so one hand on the bars and he just keeps pulling away from me.

That's why I always remember, there is always someone faster than you out there so don't sweat it just ride your own race.

Just curious where you train up there. I used to live off the Sycamire street exit in Arlington as well as near the Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax. I rode the WO & D trail a lot. Good time. There is ALWAYS traffic up there!
2009-05-30 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2172727

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-05-26 7:39 AM
ashort33 - 2009-05-25 9:56 PM

OK, goofy question.  I have my first 60 mi ride coming up this weekend.  I have done 40 a couple of times and usually end up a little chaffed.  What if anything do you all use to avoid the chafing and at what distance do you all start using it?  I see all sorts of advertisements in Bicycling magazine for creams and butters, etc.

This is what I use
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=21231&item=20-2485&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

Funny thread on Bikeforums on Assos Cream and similar products, people talk about only putting it on for 50+ mile rides and eventually putting it on to ride down the street to the store because they get addicted to it.

I am a convert!  This stuff was great on my 60 mi ride today!

2009-05-30 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2183233

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-05-30 2:21 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-05-30 12:40 PM Roni, I have a similar question to pose to the group...

Hey Barry

Is this Oly and A race for you? or a stepping stone to something bigger like the HIM?  I categorize my races at the beginning of the season and treat them differently.  For example, the Oly I am doing next weekend is a C race for me.  Since I have never done this distance, my goal is to feel good about the swim coming out of the water and practice fueling on the bike for the run both of which will be important for the HIM.  My overall time is pretty irrelevant.  As a result, I am training through it.  No taper, just focus on training up for my A races.  If it were an A race for me, I would be doing short bricks with practiced transitions (which I totally stink at) and no long rides or runs.

Also remember that nothing you do 10 ish days before the race will affect fitness.  It will only teach you about how your body feels at race pace after swimming, biking or running.

Hope that makes sense.

Suzy

This is my FIRST race...would that make it an A race?  Actually my HIM is my A race, but there is 4 months until that race.  Obviously, I would like to do as well as possible, and was thinking that I may pile it on this week as a fairly heavy week and then taper off next week.  Do you think that would be a bad idea?  All this is foreign to me! 

At what point does training not benefit your upcoming race?
2009-05-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2183422

User image

Elite
san francisco

ashort33 - 2009-05-30 3:18 PM

dalessit - 2009-05-26 7:39 AM
ashort33 - 2009-05-25 9:56 PM

OK, goofy question.  I have my first 60 mi ride coming up this weekend.  I have done 40 a couple of times and usually end up a little chaffed.  What if anything do you all use to avoid the chafing and at what distance do you all start using it?  I see all sorts of advertisements in Bicycling magazine for creams and butters, etc.

This is what I use
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=21231&item=20-2485&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

Funny thread on Bikeforums on Assos Cream and similar products, people talk about only putting it on for 50+ mile rides and eventually putting it on to ride down the street to the store because they get addicted to it.

I am a convert!  This stuff was great on my 60 mi ride today!

good to know, Andy, I have a sample from my LBS and plan to use it for my long ride tomorrow!

2009-05-30 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2183435

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-05-30 5:24 PM

Hey Barry

Hope that makes sense.

Suzy

This is my FIRST race...would that make it an A race?  Actually my HIM is my A race, but there is 4 months until that race.  Obviously, I would like to do as well as possible, and was thinking that I may pile it on this week as a fairly heavy week and then taper off next week.  Do you think that would be a bad idea?  All this is foreign to me! 

I would treat it as a normal week, whatever is in your HIM plan is what you should do.  The only possible exception is practicing transitions.  The following week I would back off on volume and goose up intensity.  Remember this is coming from someone who runs and has only done Sprints, but from what I have read it applies for triathlon too.

I have always read anything 10-12 days before the race does you nothing for fitness.  My running coach used to always espouse this when I tried to add volume.

2009-05-30 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2183322

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Edited by sdalessio 2009-05-30 6:06 PM
2009-05-30 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2183483

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-05-30 3:43 PM

Just curious where you train up there. I used to live off the Sycamire street exit in Arlington as well as near the Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax. I rode the WO & D trail a lot. Good time. There is ALWAYS traffic up there!

^^One of these days I will remember to see who is logged in before I post.

I ride all over the place.  Today I went to Haines point in DC, 3ish mile loop, where cars that are on the road usually are slower than the bikes.  Great place for pacelines and such also.

I do ride on the W&OD but it gets rather crowded when the weather gets nice so we tend to go out to the country to get in any longer type rides. 

Edited by dalessit 2009-05-30 6:09 PM
2009-05-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2183487

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2009-05-30 6:07 PM
DougRob - 2009-05-30 3:43 PM

OMG  That just pissed ME off!  I hate that...Although he was probably on on mile 1 or 2.
2009-05-30 9:07 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Well I'm back!!! RR is done already.......http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=161517

Had a good race. Was windy as H$LL out there, so was happy how well I biked. Run went a little long, so when I look at my run time I'm okay with it. I know I ran the 5k under 30 minutes which was my goal after my poor run a few weeks ago. For those of you that around in the last group I met up with Lexy. She came down for it as well. Was nice to finally meet a fellow BT'er.
I'll catch up tomorrow with the posts!!

Kim, Idid order a custom Infitnit just for fun --"Trevor Power"
2009-05-31 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2183720

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-30 9:07 PM Well I'm back!!! RR is done already.......http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=161517

Had a good race. Was windy as H$LL out there, so was happy how well I biked. Run went a little long, so when I look at my run time I'm okay with it. I know I ran the 5k under 30 minutes which was my goal after my poor run a few weeks ago. For those of you that around in the last group I met up with Lexy. She came down for it as well. Was nice to finally meet a fellow BT'er.
I'll catch up tomorrow with the posts!!

Kim, Idid order a custom Infitnit just for fun --"Trevor Power"

Hey Trevor

Way to go!  You overcame your run issues and now they are behind you.  With your new Infinit you are bound to fly through the bike and run.  I think you will really like it.

Today is a long run, a long pool swim (my coach must think I grew gills since we met on Thursday) and then an OWS lesson tonight.  I'm travelling for work three days in the upcoming week so need to cram a few things in before I leave tomorrow afternoon!

A couple people gave me a tip of tucking my chin when in OW to breathe more effectively and avoid getting blasted by waves.  Anyone else do this?

Suzy

2009-05-31 7:11 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Good job Trevor! Imagine  how much easier it will be without the head wind!

Thanks for the advice everyone, but turns out it was probably not dehydration. I think I am a little sick. I very rarely get sick, but late yesterday may throat started to hurt, and then late last night I woke up and found it hard to swallow. I took som eIbuprofen and I am ok right now. What sucks is I think it is wise to take it easy, but that is what I did last week! I need some training! Oh well.

How did others do yesterday?

Doug
2009-05-31 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2184002

User image

Champion
Great job Trevor.

Well, not sure the crawfish boil is going to happen today, been reading up on it for the last couple days and there seems to be a religion around it and I might not be up to the task.Laughing

My OWS practice was cancelled today due to yet again more thunderstorms...  It would have been great for 10 bucks you could swim on a 1/2 mile buoy marked course for an hour, would have been good practice.

Looking at Mooseman water temp it is up to 57 now, brrr, less than a week to go.
2009-05-31 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2184010

User image

Expert
B'ham

Trevor - great job once again! I'm going to start posting my workouts in Km/hr - it just looks so fast.

Tony - Was it your shoulders getting tired when swimming in the wetsuit? Mine are a little sore today after my OWS yesterday, a little like the day after lifting weights sore, but not bad. I wonder if you're issues are not as much with the suit as not being used to it and if it would get better with more time in the suit.

Rest up quick Doug and Suzy travel safe.

Edited by cadmus 2009-05-31 8:24 AM
2009-05-31 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great job Trevor!  Way to stick it out! 

Made a mistake when adding up routes yesterday, instead of 60 miles, I did 67 - definitely my longest ride ever.  I am going to try to get in a run or swim this afternoon if I can, but I am on daddy duty for the next 36 hours, so I may not get in the workouts that I hope! 

2009-05-31 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

It's hard to keep up with everyone but I am going to try and cover off a couple of things that stick in my mind.

For endurance nutrition I use HAMMER nutrition " Perpetuem". I just got it and used it yesterday during my run. Seemed to work pretty good. I haven't had a chance to use it on a longer run or bike ride yet.

Suzy. I think I instinctively have always tucked my chin when breathing. One it ceratinly helps in choppy conditions and two it allows me to keep my head in the water better. (more streamline)

Question. during my run yesterday the outside of my right knee go so painful that I actually had to stop and work it out. Just by doing a few quick complete bends it eased enough to conitue. Any idea on what might have a caused that. I ran very slowly yesterday just to get in some distance. (only 10K). It is still quite sore this moring too.  Maybe Jsut because I haven't been running enough lately?

Edited by Redknight 2009-05-31 9:02 AM

2009-05-31 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2183474

User image

SSMinnow - 2009-05-30 6:58 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-05-30 5:24 PM

Hey Barry

Hope that makes sense.

Suzy

I would treat it as a normal week, whatever is in your HIM plan is what you should do.  The only possible exception is practicing transitions.  The following week I would back off on volume and goose up intensity.  Remember this is coming from someone who runs and has only done Sprints, but from what I have read it applies for triathlon too.

I have always read anything 10-12 days before the race does you nothing for fitness.  My running coach used to always espouse this when I tried to add volume.

I agree with Suzy.  Basically keep with your HIM training plan, only back off a little a couple days before your race - rest and practice transitions.  That way you can race "rested" and have a good experience and then get right back to the training plan after your race.  You are far enough out from your HIM that a few days is not going to impact your HIM training ... I think having a good expereince in your oly is important.  Good Luck!   
2009-05-31 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2184107

User image

Champion
I have seen something on tucking in the chin, but tbh can't remember why.

2009-05-31 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2184136

User image

Champion
Just curious if this post will get us to 100 pages.
2009-05-31 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2184137

User image

Expert
B'ham

dalessit - 2009-05-31 7:30 AM Just curious if this post will get us to 100 pages.

will this one steal Tony's thunder?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383