BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-04-30 1:32 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by IronOx

PSA:  Campmor 20% of bike clothing.

All those doing IM Copenhagen (Kirsten), you might want to consider the Copenhagen jersey (OK, so maybe a bit girly for you but the name is a winner!)

Hey, I actually kinda like it!  Too bad my budget for all things triathlon is currently $0.00

It's not for TRIATHLON!  It's for CYCLING

So is the cyclist all kitted up a woman looking at the woman in a dress thinking, "Where is her helmet?!" or is it a man about to hit a pothole because he's distracted by the babe on a bike?

He's also not wearing a helmet. It's a headband and he's got a huge green 'fro  

Ummm.  I think that the green is a tree and I think that that it's a cycling cap on his head.  You do make a good point, though, it's really a DISCUSSION PIECE, not tri gear.

Hahaha!  Here's the back, she's wearing open toe sandals!

Shoot, now I REALLY like it.

2015-04-30 1:33 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Jet Black Yanti, I'm so sorry.

{MELON PRESS}

and SUPER CONGRATS on TX 70.3 ... you smoked it! Way to put the JETS ON!

Jetsons?

I could use a robot.
2015-04-30 1:34 PM

User image

Seattle

All those doing IM Copenhagen (Kirsten), you might want to consider the Copenhagen jersey (OK, so maybe a bit girly for you but the name is a winner!)

Hey, I actually kinda like it!  Too bad my budget for all things triathlon is currently $0.00

So is the cyclist all kitted up a woman looking at the woman in a dress thinking, "Where is her helmet?!" or is it a man about to hit a pothole because he's distracted by the babe on a bike?

Ummm.  I think that the green is a tree and I think that that it's a cycling cap on his head.  You do make a good point, though, it's really a DISCUSSION PIECE, not tri gear.

It's confirmed. That is definitely a fro and not a tree.

The woman behind has heels on. And her top...

2015-04-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

I need a push to get going with some structured training so I need to get registered for a tri.  I can't decide between two races and can't do them both, so I need a bit of advice.  One is July 18 and is the same course as the first one I did last year, and the other is on July 26 up in the mountains.  They're roughly the same distances (750 m/12 mi./3 mi.).  The main differences are (a) the mountain one starts at about 2,000 ft. higher and (b) the mountain bike leg is about 2/3 climbing rollers and 1/3 descending rollers with a total elevation gain of 1,536 ft. vs. the relatively gentle rollers for the other race that were challenging but not killer last year.  I'm leaning toward the mountain one but am also a little intimidated.  What think you, Manatees?

Which one is more apt to keep you on scheduled training?  

Either one.  I just need a goal at this point.  I'd probably have to train harder for the 2nd one though.  Just looked at the run deets and it looks a lot more interesting.  Dirt roads, trails, paved, boardwalk, stairs, short up then mostly down. The other has just a paved MUP that's fairly flat.

2015-04-30 1:47 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

I need a push to get going with some structured training so I need to get registered for a tri.  I can't decide between two races and can't do them both, so I need a bit of advice.  One is July 18 and is the same course as the first one I did last year, and the other is on July 26 up in the mountains.  They're roughly the same distances (750 m/12 mi./3 mi.).  The main differences are (a) the mountain one starts at about 2,000 ft. higher and (b) the mountain bike leg is about 2/3 climbing rollers and 1/3 descending rollers with a total elevation gain of 1,536 ft. vs. the relatively gentle rollers for the other race that were challenging but not killer last year.  I'm leaning toward the mountain one but am also a little intimidated.  What think you, Manatees?

Either one.  I just need a goal at this point.  I'd probably have to train harder for the 2nd one though.  Just looked at the run deets and it looks a lot more interesting.  Dirt roads, trails, paved, boardwalk, stairs, short up then mostly down. The other has just a paved MUP that's fairly flat.

Kinda sounds like you have already made up your mind .  Dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeet!

2015-04-30 1:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

It's confirmed. That is definitely a fro and not a tree.

The woman behind has heels on. And her top...

That guy is definitely headed for a pothole or a car door or some traffic furniture.  With that kind of cleavage, there's no way he's paying attention to where he's going.  Either that or his head is being pushed that far around because his hair is acting as a sail in a strong wind.  I'm starting to think I might buy this obnoxious thing because it would make me laugh every time I wore it!

2015-04-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

+1 DOOO EEET!!!

2015-04-30 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Agree on the DOOOO EEEEETTT!!!!!! 

Also, my RR from Galveston is here.

An opus magnum, of sorts.  By far the longest I've written (maybe ever written), but I wanted to put what lessons I learned into print.  This was a high yield race for me, from that perspective.

So, if you have the better part of a six pack of good beer to get through - and NO other good social options on the immediate horizon - cozy up with a tale of fire ants, hail and heat on the race course... 

Matt

2015-04-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Mary if that's silverthorne vs aurora reservoir I'd abso-friggin-lutely go with silverthorne. Way better scenery and an amazing new challenge
2015-04-30 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

+1 DOOO EEET!!!

Mary the mountain one sounds WAY more interesting and like it's spinning your wheels more. My one question would be are all your sore spots up for it, especially your hip? If you think the answer to that is yes then definitely DOOOOO EEEEEEET!
2015-04-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

+1 DOOO EEET!!!

Mary the mountain one sounds WAY more interesting and like it's spinning your wheels more. My one question would be are all your sore spots up for it, especially your hip? If you think the answer to that is yes then definitely DOOOOO EEEEEEET!

Curious about that too. Also with the "mountain bike" part.

2015-05-01 9:23 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

can't we do both?!

:D

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015-05-01 10:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK

+1 DOOO EEET!!!

Curious about that too. Also with the "mountain bike" part.

To clarify, it's the bike leg of the mountain tri.  It's all on paved roads.  As for whether my sore spots are up for it, that's what's making me hesitate.  I'm never really completely without discomfort (not calling it pain; it's not quite to that level).  Although I feel stronger than last year, I do have more discomfort on a regular basis, which I can mostly manage with foam rolling and massage. 

TJ, it's the YOLO at Aurora Res. vs. Evergreen.  DH looked at last year's results and for my AG, bike speeds were 11-17 mph and run times were approx. 22-40 min., mostly in the 27-30 min. range.  Just looked at Silverthorne and although it's at 8,700 ft., both the bike and run have almost 0' elevation gain.  Bike speeds were 11.5-21.5 mph and runs were approx. 29-46 min.  I guess it could be a compromise option.

2015-05-01 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
==
May 2-3
Adrienne - Grand Ridge 5 mile trail run on Saturday
Kate - Parkway 1/2 Marathon on Satudray
Janyne - White Lake International (ala Oly) tri on Saturday
MR Matt MS - Mississippi Gran Prix Omnium (all weekend)
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama
Jonathan - Tri Tyler Olympic on Sunday
Emily - Esprit de She Tri Tempe on Sunday
Kirsten - Vancouver Half Marathon on Sunday

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

Mike, stay safe in Bmore!

Strava update, if you aren't following Robin, you should be! 

2015-05-01 1:42 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!

==
May 2-3
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

GOOOOOO TEAMMMMMMMM!!!

(LOL Love MR Matt!)
2015-05-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Does anyone race with elastic laces?

I'm watching a lot of the WTS races, and how the pros do transitions.  One of the things that stands out to me is that they don't tie their shoes, but have elastic laces. I know I lose time due to that, for sure.  I should probably switch from road bike shoes to tri bike shoes also so I can have them set up on the bike already.

2015-05-01 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

==
May 2-3
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

OMG!  I got TJ's birthday down but not her MARATHON! 

TJ - Colorado Marathon on Sunday!

2015-05-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I'm watching a lot of the WTS races, and how the pros do transitions.  One of the things that stands out to me is that they don't tie their shoes, but have elastic laces. I know I lose time due to that, for sure.  I should probably switch from road bike shoes to tri bike shoes also so I can have them set up on the bike already.

I do. Whatever is on the Altra 3-sum. This one is like Yankz, but they actually work ok. Previous uses of that kind cut off circulation or were too loose. I used Xtenex for a couple years and those did alright. Little tricky to get it set up just right at first to be loose enough to get in, but tight enough to hold the foot well. Once you get it you never have to adjust again though.

2015-05-01 2:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah. I'd highly recommend it for triathlon.

Not just for the time lost due to tying shoes in transition but also to mitigate the risk of them coming untied at any point during the run. 

2015-05-01 2:24 PM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

==
May 2-3
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

Go racers and an extra special weekend for TJ!!!!

2015-05-01 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Not just for the time lost due to tying shoes in transition but also to mitigate the risk of them coming untied at any point during the run. 

What do you think about racing barefoot vs. putting socks on?

2015-05-01 2:52 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Cycling sockless yes, running sockless no.  I might consider socks on the bike if it's really cold but putting socks on wet feet is annoying.  Even so, I have my socks rolled up in transition so they're easy to slip on.  Then again, I'm not an AG contender and I haven't worked out all the kinks in my transitions and I'm still pretty slow.  My Hoka Bondis have speed laces and I love them.  I'm wearing Hoka Constants now and they didn't come with the speed laces.  They came untied during my last 5 k, which was a pain.  I'm thinking about switching to speed laces.

2015-05-01 3:00 PM

User image

Seattle

Personal preference. And a cost analysis.  It will save a little time but what do you sacrifice? If nothing, it's an obvious answer. If you sacrifice comfort, some skin, toenails etc then you have to weigh it out. 

I do it all the time as a non-triathlete. It doesn't bother me one bit for running BUT it makes my shoes smell bad. 

2015-05-01 3:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

==
May 2-3
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

OMG!  I got TJ's birthday down but not her MARATHON! 

TJ - Colorado Marathon on Sunday!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all you racy-racers!!   Love to see how many of you there are!

Hope the back feels better soon, Stacey.  Back pain is no fun!!!

TJ, have a wonderful recovery birthday the day after your marathon on Sunday.  I'm looking forward to seeing you Sunday running strong at mile 23, even if you don't recognize me. 

Have a fun weekend, everybody.

2015-05-01 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

First thing I did when I got a new pair of shoes for tri is replace the laces with Yankz.  I like them for two reasons:
1) Way easier than tying
2) I never feel like I can tie just the right amount.  They were always too tight or too loose.

Also I raced sockless for everything below HIM.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29497 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69158 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57540 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.