BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-01-11 11:11 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Originally posted by enders_shadow

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Kristen - I'm using a training plan by Gale Bernhardt (from her book on multisport training). It worked really well last summer so I'm hoping to do even better this year.

I had a bit of a weird food day today. Breakfast and dinner were fine but when I went to make lunch my M-I-L was baking healthy calorie free muffins so I couldn't get in to make the eggs I wanted so I had to improvise with whatever I could grab in a few seconds. I didn't do too bad but there were cookies involved... but not too many (4).

After cycling this afternoon I did sample one of the muffins and it wasn't bad at all. I might have to steal another one.

Marilyn - Just one doughnut! You have amazing self control. How could you stop at just one? Seriously, I think you did really well. When it comes to yummy anything I am fine if I just don't buy it but if I have it with me or in the house (like ice cream in the freezer) it calls me over and over.

Can you forward the recipe for calorie-free muffins too?

What's on deck for this weekend, folks? Any challenges to clean eating?

I have a banquet tonight for my daughter's triathlon training group - it will be interesting to see what kind of food they serve.

Calorie free muffins? I'd be interested in seeing this recipe too!

Up this weekend is lifting today, swim & run tomorrow.

Clean eating has been going well, but I haven't managed to get to the gym at all recently! I had an out of town visitor staying with me until 1/5, then it was like -15 degrees on Monday and Tuesday so the city basically shut down, work was cancelled, and I just stayed home for 2 days except to take the dog out (which was less than 5 minutes since we both had a hard time taking the pain!) I had a billion friends post on facebook about throwing boiling water in the air and making snow before it hit the ground. Back to work on Weds meant I had a bunch of things to catch up on, being 2 days behind schedule! The good part about being shut in for the week was that I only have clean foods in my home and work fridges, so snacking consisted of grape tomatoes w/hummus, or greek yogurt with fruit.

My goal will be to go to the gym every day this week, even if it's just for a yoga class or foam rolling. I would foam roll at home, except the dog likes to "help" me, and I end up just playing with the dog. I learned long ago that I am too easily distracted if I try working out at home!

2014-01-11 8:13 PM
in reply to: yogachic

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

checking in for the first time in a few days - today was better than the past few, but being saturday i've have a few alcoholic beverages  i plan to shop and cook a handful of healthy options tomorrow - i like having all that done and no excuses, just eat the good stuff.  some of the recipes i'm targeting:

chopped greek salad http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chopped_greek_salad_with_chicken.html

salmon patties http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/salmon-patties-with-saut_ed-squash-zucchini/

curried chicken soup http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/dinner-tonight/curried-chicken-cauliflower-soup/

butternut squash enchiladas http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/classics-made-clean/butternut-squash-enchiladas/ (only because i have some in the freezer to use up!  but still!)

reviews to come! tomorrow will be a busy day in the meh-kitchen!

2014-01-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by mehaner

STRESS EATING LIKE WHOA TODAY

i caved and ate a donut and it was delicious, but work is stressing me and that is my excuse.

i'm not at home so i don't have other options, i would usually just make some hot tea or something, but not so today.

I can relate; I am a stress drinker!  I've had no alcohol since Jan 1, but gave in Thursday night after a stressful day at work and anxiety over some things going on in my personal life.  The drinking continued Friday and Saturday nights.  After having a personal pity party, I found my resolve to move on.  One thing I've learned is that I cannot control the decisions of other people, but I can control how I allow those decisions to affect me.

So I had a bad training week, but did good with food choices except for the alcohol  My Half Iron training plan starts tomorrow so I need to pull myself together and find my motivation.

2014-01-12 8:15 AM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

Expert
Ontario

I was doing well until last night when I ate a whole 150g, 780 calorie bag of chips myself !! 

Today will be : B - oatmeal
                        L - big salad with tuna
                        D - chicken, quinoa, veggies

2014-01-12 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

checking in for the first time in a few days - today was better than the past few, but being saturday i've have a few alcoholic beverages  i plan to shop and cook a handful of healthy options tomorrow - i like having all that done and no excuses, just eat the good stuff.  some of the recipes i'm targeting:

salmon patties http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/salmon-patties-with-saut_ed-squash-zucchini/

OK redid my menus for the week...only keeping one prior recipe.  cooking up the teriyaki chicken and sausage and peppers from this site.

http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html

off to the food lion!

2014-01-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Master
MidWest

I am now back from my travels and have arrived back at the stresses of reality.  My eating was okay while gone but it seems like I just don't care now.  The weather has been decent, so there is no excuse to not go out for a quick walk or run.  My mojo is somewhere and I really need to find it again.  

2014-01-12 12:54 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Expert
Ontario
Originally posted by BAMBAM66

I am now back from my travels and have arrived back at the stresses of reality.  My eating was okay while gone but it seems like I just don't care now.  The weather has been decent, so there is no excuse to not go out for a quick walk or run.  My mojo is somewhere and I really need to find it again.  

My mojo must be off somewhere with yours, if you find where its gone kick it back to me please.
2014-01-12 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

OK redid my menus for the week...only keeping one prior recipe.  cooking up the teriyaki chicken and sausage and peppers from this site.

off to the food lion!

I REALLLLLLY strongly recommend these salmon patties.  they were AMAZING and the whole recipe was so simple!

2014-01-12 2:05 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cathyd

My mojo must be off somewhere with yours, if you find where its gone kick it back to me please.

start with something simple you like!  take the dogs/kids out hiking in a park?  keep pressure and expectations low!  and if not, don't beat yourself up.  

2014-01-12 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Finally went out for a run and so glad I did.  Saw a huge snowy owl sitting on a post.

Made chicken tacos for supper, they were yummy.  Good eating day today.

2014-01-12 6:59 PM

User image

Master

The weekend has been a non-stop eating frenzy. I would give myself an F for effort and food choices this weekend. You name it- I ate it.
The biggest part of the problem is not having planned meals/food for the weekend. I have a black/white attitude about food so when I get off plan things go to hell really fast. At least I'm well fed!

Tomorrow is another day. Back to scheduled meals, routine and work.

2014-01-13 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

off to the food lion!

I REALLLLLLY strongly recommend these salmon patties.  they were AMAZING and the whole recipe was so simple!

not to keep quoting myself - but OH EM GEE the teriyaki chicken was PERFECTION!

2014-01-13 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Thanks for the recipe tips, Marilyn. Stupid busy this morning, but I'll check back this afternoon. Hopefully I won't eat my way through the day.
2014-01-13 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by cathyd

Can I join the lost mojo club?  I've been in a slump too!  But all we can do is move forward and get back on track. 

My Half Iron training plan starts today and I always do better when I'm on a plan.  Now I just need to make the routine a habit, and I'll be okay.

Time to get that Mojo back!!!

2014-01-13 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Alright guys and gals...no mo' loss of mojo!

Who is up for some type of get ur butt moving challenge?

Let's just start easy and do today only...get out and do at least 15min of movement. Whether that be outside running, walking the dog, in the gym, stairs during ur lunch break...do something!

I will commit to running 3mi this afternoon.

Who's next?
2014-01-13 8:47 AM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by chichitao Alright guys and gals...no mo' loss of mojo! Who is up for some type of get ur butt moving challenge? Let's just start easy and do today only...get out and do at least 15min of movement. Whether that be outside running, walking the dog, in the gym, stairs during ur lunch break...do something! I will commit to running 3mi this afternoon. Who's next?

I'm doing a trainer ride today.  Plan says 45 minutes, not sure I'll last that long, I'll try.  Bike has been on the trainer since mid December but I have not been on the bike.

2014-01-13 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by chichitao Alright guys and gals...no mo' loss of mojo! Who is up for some type of get ur butt moving challenge? Let's just start easy and do today only...get out and do at least 15min of movement. Whether that be outside running, walking the dog, in the gym, stairs during ur lunch break...do something! I will commit to running 3mi this afternoon. Who's next?

i plan to do an insanity DVD tonight.  i'd prefer to get to yoga, but no way i'll get out of work in time for the teacher i like.  and i do NOT like the late teacher at all!  no excuses - dinner is already in the crock pot and laundry all got done over the weekend.

2014-01-13 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

i plan to do an insanity DVD tonight.  i'd prefer to get to yoga, but no way i'll get out of work in time for the teacher i like.  and i do NOT like the late teacher at all!  no excuses - dinner is already in the crock pot and laundry all got done over the weekend.

I like those crockpot recipes and website. i'll have to bookmark it and try some of those out. on the teriyaki, was the teriyaki flavor too strong? just seemed like a ton of sauce.

and my wife is the same way with her class teachers. will completely re-arrange her schedule if she finds out a sub is coming in that she doesn't like
2014-01-13 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by chichitao

I like those crockpot recipes and website. i'll have to bookmark it and try some of those out. on the teriyaki, was the teriyaki flavor too strong? just seemed like a ton of sauce. and my wife is the same way with her class teachers. will completely re-arrange her schedule if she finds out a sub is coming in that she doesn't like

i used almost 2 pounds of chicken, 1 pound of carrots, and a large can of pineapple rings with the juice.  i used the entire 10oz bottle of store-brand teriyaki sauce, and it was really good.  there was a lot of liquid i poured off at the end, but i think i needed all the sauce, the chicken is soooo juicy it just falls apart even with a crappy cafeteria plastic fork!

2014-01-13 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chichitao

Alright guys and gals...no mo' loss of mojo!

Who is up for some type of get ur butt moving challenge?

Let's just start easy and do today only...get out and do at least 15min of movement. Whether that be outside running, walking the dog, in the gym, stairs during ur lunch break...do something!

I will commit to running 3mi this afternoon.

Who's next?

Just skimmed through the posts since I last logged in.... I'm also part of the lost mojo club. A friend was visiting from out of town, and I didn't know until he called unexpectedly. So both my planned weekend workouts went out the door. I did do a fair job of keeping on track though. The scale is still moving downward, but I really do need to get to the gym.

I'll commit to going to the gym after work for at least a 30 minute workout.
2014-01-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: yogachic

User image

Veteran
I managed to get outside today! Starting from scratch with "running". Did some run/walk and made it back without hurting myself or getting exhausted. It's a start.

Food is pretty good. I've managed to stick to no (added) sugar no grains for more than a week (I think). Small loss so far, but I'm hoping to get my weight moving down more over time.

2014-01-13 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I will run 5 miles and do Body Pump class tonight.  No excuses!

2014-01-13 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Got on the trainer for 35 minutes and did some strength work.  Ate well today B-Oatmeal, L-chicken wrap, D-Roast chicken breast, potatoes, carrots.  Don't have any junk food in the house so no snacking tonight.

2014-01-13 10:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I had a pretty good day today. I went to the pool for an hour swim with my "Swim Fit" group. Usually I swim in the moderate lane with my group but today I wound up in the fast lane with a young lady that swims like a speed boat and it may have been psychosomatic but I felt as though I swam faster and better than I've been able to manage for quite awhile. Felt really good and if we hadn't wasted a lot of time on drills I would've had a decent distance as well.

It was even nicer/warmer this afternoon (15+degC/60degF!!) so I went for a run with a fellow I frequently train with and I ran my fastest non-race run ever. Still slow but fast for me and we were in bright sunshine the whole run. We don't even have any snow or ice on the ground. Of course it won't last but it sure was nice.

Marilyn - Your teriyaki chicken and salmon patties recipes sound really good. I'll definitely try the patties soon.

Cathy - I've tried riding my bike/trainer at home alone and it is all but impossible for me but I love going to my cycling group (everyone brings their own bike and trainer) and I work way harder and never miss a session (maybe because I paid for it). Maybe if you had a couple friends to get together with and encourage each other?

Low Mojo group - I think Tim has a good idea for getting your Mojo back. A few years ago I was painting in watercolours and to get motivated and creative I had to do things to build up my "mojo". I would do things painting related - walks, studying scenery, sunlight shadows, reading etc. So, to get training mojo the same idea holds - you need to prime the pump of your mojo by reading race reports; watching youtube videos, training like Tim says; go shopping for more gear; talking to us here or elsewhere in BT; call your training buddy's; helping others (like beginners) and many other similar things that build your excitement/enthusiasm. I wish everyone some good positive energy. *register for a race!

I hope that makes sense I tried to keep it brief.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-13 10:17 PM
2014-01-13 10:44 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
This is the muffin recipe. They're pretty good and easy to make (I made a batch Sunday with some supervision by my wife) without any difficulty. They must've been good because there's only one left and I've only had 4 (yesterday and today)....so far.

Banana-blueberry muffins

Ingredients

•1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
•½ cup each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour
•1/3 cup granulated sugar
•¼ cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
•1½ tsp baking powder
•1 tsp baking soda
•1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large or 4 small). Up to 2cups is still very good.
•¼ cup butter, melted
•1 egg
•1-1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if you can find them wild blueberries are preferable. Here $4 for 600gms at Walmart)

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.

Combine oats, both flours, sugar, ground flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together bananas, butter and egg. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.

Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

If you eat them while standing up there are NO calories If you eat them sitting down there are 200 calories and 3+gms fibre.

For the ones I made I used 1.5 cups wild blueberries and my 3 large bananas came to 2 cups. This recipe came from a cookbook but we've cut the salt and reduced the sugar and increased the fruit.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20303 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.