BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-05-31 7:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-05-31 7:58 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-05-31 8:50 PM

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Melissa and I swam for a bit this morning. Hopefully pic attaches. Saw Bryan at checkin, haven't seen him in 6 years Tomorrow will be fun!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1786KB - 2 downloads)
2014-05-31 8:55 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Then rented bikes and ride across the gg bridge to Sausalito for lunch and took the ferry back. Not the most restful of pre race days, good thing I do this for fun

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2141KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (85KB - 1 downloads)
2014-06-01 1:22 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Good luck to Bryan, Chris and Melinda tomorrow at Alcatraz. I have lots of Zoot friends racing Quassy tomorrow as well.

BTW, my 11 yo daughter swam 1:15:14 for 5,000 yards free today. That is a 1:03:xx IM swim btw!

(Beat that?)

Fred, that's super speedy, congrats to her!

Good luck to everyone at Alcatraz and anyone else that is racing as well.  

2014-06-01 10:56 AM
in reply to: axteraa

2014-06-01 10:58 AM

2014-06-01 11:03 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Escape from Alcatraz swim times

Chris - 36:43
Melissa - 45:28
Bryan - 38:27

2014-06-01 11:04 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

James won his AG at Black Bear!

Great job James!!

2014-06-01 11:05 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

While sad I could not get into Black Bear, I have had two excellent workouts this weekend. Strong bike yesterday and solid run today.

How goes everyone's training?

Not much for me.  I've gotten in a couple of runs while here, hoping to get out again this evening as well.

2014-06-01 12:46 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

Looks like Chris had a solid run after the swim, bike, and sand ladder -- 8:19 pace for 8 miles is awesome!!  Nice work out there, Chris!

2014-06-01 12:51 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

While sad I could not get into Black Bear, I have had two excellent workouts this weekend. Strong bike yesterday and solid run today.

I had a miserably bad long run yesterday....not entirely sure what happened, but I just fell apart (not sure if it was mental or physical, but it just was not my day).  Brushed it off and had a decent couple rides, followed by an almost-as-long run today that was about a million times better than yesterday's run.  

I mentioned the other day that I'm doing a TTT next weekend.  Turns out there's an individual TT race the day before that I'm really considering.  The only issue with it is that with two days of bike racing (and a sprint tri the following weekend), it's unlikely that I'll be getting any long runs in.  I'm racing another 70.3 on June 29th, and though it's not an A race, I'd still like to have a good race.

If I can keep my running consistent and volume up in the mid-30's, do you think I'm setting myself up for a death march on the HIM run leg by having not done many long runs since SG70.3?  I've read that consistency and volume trumps the long run....and the next two weekends of racing should be fun and new experiences, so I'm leaning toward just forgetting about (and not stressing over) missing long runs.  Thoughts?

2014-06-01 5:33 PM

Originally posted by Jason N

I use 3 sec avg, lap avg, and lap NP on my main screen.  I use the lap NP because some of the intervals I do are road racing simulations.  Where I might ride a short loop with climbing and descending...where I know that there will be higher power on the climbs, and coasting or soft pedaling on the descents.  In those cases, AP gets skewed, so NP can give me a better idea of how I am doing for the lap.  It's not a perfect number, but just a metric I can better comprehend in certain circumstances.  For triathletes, you probably don't need to worry so much about lap NP as most of your intervals are going to be steady at a given power.

I don't use NP at all. I look at it after when analyzing, but not racing or training.

I use 3s power. Lap Power.
Then HR and Lap HR.
Then Average Power and Average HR.

I lap every time I take in nutrition which is about 20-25'.

I also lap if I'm doing a downhill that I can't generate power in, as otherwise I end up chasing the Lap power too much after an overdoing things.

** I have the 3s power and Lap Power in larger displays on my 800, and that is all I really pay attention to...

This is why I use lap NP.  So I don't chase watts where I know I don't need to.  For example, after the hard part of my ride today, I was cooling down on my way home for about 7 miles.  With some downhills, coasting, and easing into red lights, my lap power was around 95, but my lap NP was around 150...right where I want to be for a cool down stretch.  I suppose I could hit the lap button a bunch more times, but it the lap NP gives me a ballpark of where I really am when not hitting the lap button.

2014-06-01 5:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I had a miserably bad long run yesterday....not entirely sure what happened, but I just fell apart (not sure if it was mental or physical, but it just was not my day).  Brushed it off and had a decent couple rides, followed by an almost-as-long run today that was about a million times better than yesterday's run.  

I mentioned the other day that I'm doing a TTT next weekend.  Turns out there's an individual TT race the day before that I'm really considering.  The only issue with it is that with two days of bike racing (and a sprint tri the following weekend), it's unlikely that I'll be getting any long runs in.  I'm racing another 70.3 on June 29th, and though it's not an A race, I'd still like to have a good race.

If I can keep my running consistent and volume up in the mid-30's, do you think I'm setting myself up for a death march on the HIM run leg by having not done many long runs since SG70.3?  I've read that consistency and volume trumps the long run....and the next two weekends of racing should be fun and new experiences, so I'm leaning toward just forgetting about (and not stressing over) missing long runs.  Thoughts?

The good thing about TTs or TTTs is that they are normally around and hour or less.  So while it is very hard racing, the overall training stress you build up isn't that much as compared to say an Olympic distance tri.  It doesn't need as big a taper, nor need as much recovery either due to the non impact nature of cycling.  I bet you could probably do a medium long run the day before the ITT, do both TT's on the weekend, and still wouldn't put you in a big hole.  In fact, you might end up around the same as far as fatigue if you had done a normal long ride and long run instead of racing the TTs.

Edited by Jason N 2014-06-01 5:43 PM
2014-06-01 5:50 PM

I had an okay ride Saturday...rear brake started rubbing as my wheel was slightly out of true, but for some reason I thought it was my crank...and cut the ride a short a little after halfway to make sure I wasn't going to do damage to the BB area.

Made up for it today though with a strong ride.  Legs really feel like they are coming around...and just in time for my June races.

2014-06-01 6:15 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

The good thing about TTs or TTTs is that they are normally around and hour or less.  So while it is very hard racing, the overall training stress you build up isn't that much as compared to say an Olympic distance tri.  It doesn't need as big a taper, nor need as much recovery either due to the non impact nature of cycling.  I bet you could probably do a medium long run the day before the ITT, do both TT's on the weekend, and still wouldn't put you in a big hole.  In fact, you might end up around the same as far as fatigue if you had done a normal long ride and long run instead of racing the TTs.

Sounds a lot like what I was thinking!  I won't be tapering for the ITT/TTT as a) they'll be my first time trial experiences so I might as well set the bar low so I can PR the next time around, and b) the 70.3 is more important to me this time around.

I still plan to run ~35-37 miles this week, which will mean mostly medium / medium-long runs.  I also like to think Saturday's long run was terrible because I didn't ride before it.  I rode today and had a great 6.7 mile run in some HOT weather....I think I just run better off the bike.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it....will run both Saturday and Sunday after the TT's. 

2014-06-01 7:40 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

James won his AG at Black Bear!

Awesome!  Great work James!

(knew he was going to crush it)

Matt

2014-06-01 7:41 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM Then rented bikes and ride across the gg bridge to Sausalito for lunch and took the ferry back. Not the most restful of pre race days, good thing I do this for fun

Just fantastic.  What could be a fantastic venue and seeing friends before a race???

2014-06-01 7:42 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by axteraa

Looks like Chris had a solid run after the swim, bike, and sand ladder -- 8:19 pace for 8 miles is awesome!!  Nice work out there, Chris!

Oh - having a great race after the day before!  (see question in above post)  

Fantastic, all!!

Matt

2014-06-01 7:49 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Pretty well here.  Have a HIM next weekend after non-ideal 2 months of training.  Think it'll work out OK after this weekend, but am concerned about depth of fitness.

Did a brick yesterday with 5 intervals at HIM target HR of 141-144 and got consistent W across them (141 bpm and 240-245W), but think that even though that's the right HR, I might dial the W back a bit (FTP is ~260-265, I think).  Then did 7:08/mile for a bit under 4 miles right off the bike at my target HR (might dial that back a bit, too).  

Hard to know, as this is only my second HIM and my training has a hole in it early April from injury.

Did a HIM pace/effort OWS ~1.15 miles today at 1:17-1:18/100.  Felt pretty good.  Guess you all were right about doing 100's in the pool 'til you want to puke!

Good weekend, overall, even though training through the back half of the week was hampered by travel.

Matt

2014-06-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Fwiw...my best 40k TT I did the day after a 15 mile run. I had no expectations for the race...and it just turned out well. And then I went back out and did the course again slightly below HIM effort. Like you...I was focusing on a HIM 4 weeks later and didn't want to taper for it. Also wanted to make sure I got in a little more miles on the bike as 100 TSS (all out for one hour) is much lower than I would produce on a normal weekend ride.

2014-06-01 9:33 PM

Elite
Ontario

First ever DNF - pulled the plug 1/2 way through the bike and soft pedaled the rest of the way back.  Trying to use the Rusty attitude when things go wrong and just accept that it wasn't supposed to be my day and I'll just need to regroup and move on.  Hopefully will shake this sickness over the next couple of days.

2014-06-02 4:20 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

First ever DNF - pulled the plug 1/2 way through the bike and soft pedaled the rest of the way back.  Trying to use the Rusty attitude when things go wrong and just accept that it wasn't supposed to be my day and I'll just need to regroup and move on.  Hopefully will shake this sickness over the next couple of days.

Bummer Neil.  

I know it gets in your head, but I'm sure you wouldn't make that call unless it was the right one (so, taking the "Rusty attitude" is the right thing).  Tough, but in all likelihood the smartest thing to do, or you'd end up in a deeper hole.

Hope you feel better soon and are rocking the race course before you know it!

Matt

2014-06-02 4:54 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

That sucks Neil, I've been there (pulling the plug on the bike and soft pedaling back to the start).  I hope you are feeling better soon!

Sorta on the subject of illness, I learned last night that eating a piece of goat cheese pizza at 8:30pm and then going for a run at 9:00pm is a really bad idea.  

2014-06-02 8:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Definitely a good swim session when the burning carries over into the next day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38695 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74169 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.