BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 95

2012-03-11 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4090586

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-03-11 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4090049

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Subject: RE: Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED

Fred D - 2012-03-10 8:37 PM Well, I'm back from disney.
And tomorrow it's my turn to head to Disney! Unfortunately only Euro Disney, but apart from not being in Florida, it's all good

Had an interesting "pool rage" experience today. The only lap lane at the pool was being used by about 6 of us and as I was overtaking someone, I had to get a little close to him as someone was coming the other way. His arm brushed my leg a couple of times as he was doing breaststroke but that was about it. When we reached the end of the lane he proceeded to tell me how inconsiderate I was being right up until I pointed out that the only reason I had to vertake him in the first place was that rather than swim to the end of the lane, he decided to turn around about 3m short of the wall directly infront of me!

I believe he actually complained to the lifeguard as my girlfriend noticed one of them was watching me swim, but as he didn't say anything to me I guess he decided I wasn't doing anything wrong. Oh well, 4 days off relaxing then into full on HIM training.

2012-03-11 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3946905

Expert
Lancaster, PA

Welcome back Fred. I am glad you had time to get away and spend it with the family.

Sicone- glad you did not have a brawl I would have probably added that other option would be swim over him

I was "Yay" close to jumping on the trainer last night. I thought better and opted for boob tube show. I was out by 8pm. 

I might hit the pool tonight, it all depends how I feel after work. I don't have the results yet from the MRI. I guess it will be a waiting game.

The last couple of years I have not used fins nor paddles for drills nor training. Now that I have a little more time in my hands, I've been considering getting them (paddles). Any particular one you guys would recommend?  

Thomas

2012-03-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4090629

2012-03-11 3:30 PM

2012-03-11 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4090901

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Fred D - 2012-03-11 9:26 PMHey, question?What's euro Disney like?How many theme parks?Have you been to the Florida one before?I ask because I love Disney world and have been 7 times lol.
Haven't been to Euro Disney since 94!As far as I know it's now 2 parks but the second park is pretty new so have no idea what it has.As for Florida, we did The Magic Kingdom back in 2005 and had a great time, though I think universal's Islands of Adventure was our favourite.As for the weight loss challenge, I'm definitely going to have to pass on that one as I don't really think I have weight to spare!

2012-03-11 3:49 PM

Payson, AZ
I'd be up for that challenge Fred.  I'd like to lose some weight.  Every time I make progress I relax and it comes back on so maybe this could be the helping hand I need. 
2012-03-11 7:01 PM

First open water swim of the year in the books. Got a new wetsuit and had to try new goggles since they discontinued my favorites. Also wanted some cold water acclimation for calif 70.3. Wife said she didn't want me ow swimming alone, I can respect that, so drove a bit down the road to Naples bay, a nice little protected bay with a swim area. Did 30 minutes or so, very glad I did. Every year I forget how different pool and ow swimming is. Not too bad, probably mid 50s water temps but wore 2 caps. Brought the squid lid but left it in the bag. This was on top of 65/3 brick yesterday and 10 mile trail run this morning, so I am a bit toasty. Need to watch the food intake on weekends like this as I tend to use the mileage as an excuse to grab whatever looks good and tasty. Now comes the "science" of not losing fitness or sharpness leading into a long course race
2012-03-11 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4090921

2012-03-11 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4088709

2012-03-11 9:05 PM

Payson, AZ
Bought me some new running shoes today.  Man, the colours are wild this round.  I got away not so bad though.  Going to put the elastic laces in them, dial in the tension, and get some miles on them before the race. 

2012-03-11 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4090905

Just what I was looking for. I'm in. 
2012-03-12 5:55 AM

2012-03-12 5:59 AM

2012-03-12 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4091524

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Fred D - 2012-03-12 6:59 AM Ok, so weight loss challenge.... I am currently at 170lbs and definitely have lost some muscle in that process. My goal is 160 by June 2012. I will accomplish this goal by editing alcohol intake and eating better breakfasts. I'm also going to train more consistently. If you are in, let me know your goals and how you will accomplish them. I weighed in this am, and plan n doing it once a week.

Sounds good to me.  I am about 168 right now and want to get back to 160.  I really need to just eat better foods.  Hoping to get there by June as well.  I have been hovering around 165 but this weekend did not help things.

I will weigh in tomorrow morning for my starting weight.

2012-03-12 8:33 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Well that was a very long weekend and very tiring.  We went 2-1 in the tournament and lost a close game Saturday morning that we needed to win to get to the final.  Sunday night I had a regular league playoff game that we won.  I started and ended the weekend with hat tricks so thats good I guess.  Especially considering how I felt Sunday night.  I do not want to look at a draft beer for another 2 months LOL.

Ready to get back rolling again with training.  Need to have a solid 4-5 weeks here before our Florida trip.  It is supposed to be great weather in the 60s all week so hyped about that.  Thinking about taking full rest today or just an easy spin.  Tomorrow will be ready to rock for sure.

Nice job with the weight loss Chris! 

2012-03-12 9:02 AM

Payson, AZ
I weight 131 right now and want to get down to 125 by June 1st.  I will accomplish this by eating less.  I snack a lot when I really am not that hungry. 
2012-03-12 9:06 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I was around 165 a few weeks ago but picking up my volume has begun to drop my weight. I also have begun to transition our diet to much more gluten free and I have to admit, I feel better and I think it has also contributed to me getting more lean. I'm around 160 now and may loose 2-3 more before IMSG.
2012-03-12 9:13 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi All

It was a lovely weekend and now it's back at it. I am super happy with my first week of ironman training.  Today starts week two with a swim - it's march break so the school is closed so no coached swim.  Hoping to track down some alternates - as most of our community pools are co-located in schools Frown

As for the weightloss challenge - i am also in -  for pretty much the first time in my life.  I have been hoping that with the beginning of ironman training it will be much easier to manage. I am thinking it's only about 5 lbs extra.  My scale shows 125 (but my mom's reads 5lbs heavier) so using my scale i'd like to be 120 - but mostly i want the 'pillowing' occurring at my waist to go away ...  i am fine with the weight number itself if i didn't have that!

I think the main issue is cleaning up my weekend and at-home snacking. I do pretty well at work despite lots of opportunities to eat junk.  But as soon as the weekend hits, i don't eat as well with a lack on fruits and veggies for snacks, forget to drink water, etc. etc. etc.  During the week I also tend to be super hungry when i get home after work and i never choose good snacks! Embarassed

2012-03-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4091796

Payson, AZ
Jen, your situation is nearly the same as mine regarding weight.
2012-03-12 10:10 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

i am in Fred, since i stopped dieting back in Jan, i have gotten back up to around 210-212, i need to be around 200lbs. I will start getting longer training sessions in, especially on weekends, and will cut out all the BS i have been eating, like cheeseburgers and such.  I would like to be around 200 for my June 3rd half iron.

Sorry i have been MIA, so work BS and family stuff got in the way last week and i avoided all training and the internet pretty much, i was grouchy and pissy and would have been bad company.

raced 2 races yesterday, had a decent day, not getting the results i wished for, but did win a $20 cash prime in the harder race, then lost concentration and found myself off the back quickly.  Did a 3 lap ride of shame and called it a day.  I could tell i did not workout all week, i felt sluggish and did not have the POP i usually have in a race. time to get my derriere in gear.

2012-03-12 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4091830

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

bzgl40 - 2012-03-12 10:29 AM Jen, your situation is nearly the same as mine regarding weight.

We can be moral support on the snacking!!! I really have to find something for the 4-6 pm hunger ...

2012-03-12 12:37 PM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Okay, weight loss challenge - so will we have a weigh-in/progress report day of the week?

I am sure we can/will  mention it each day but for accountability a weekly day would be good for me ... any thoughts?

2012-03-12 3:03 PM

Pro

So, I'm officially moving to Tucson! I accepted an offer last week! Two more weeks of work at my current company, then I'm off on a road trip adventure with the dog! I haven't been as active here as I'd like to be recently - so now you all know why!

I'm in a current bike dilemma. 

I ride a 2002 Fuji Aloha. It's a little big for me, but I've fit it the best I can.

My team is sponsored by Argon18 and Blue. Argon18 is out of my price range even with the discount. According to a fitter at a Trek store, the Blue's top tube is long for me. It's something that can be worked with (i.e. new stem and aero bars). I'm hesitant to spend the money, but the Trek guy said I could just sell it at the end of the sponsorship and probably even make money on the deal. However, he can't decide if I'm an XS or S. I need to ride one, and of course there are no shops in the area - with the exception of one in Miami that never answers their phone. There are two shops in Phoenix, so maybe I'll make that trip once I get to Tucson? Hm.

Re: Weight loss challenge:

I'm in. I float in the 130-135 range all the time. I feel squishy. I'm gonna say sub-130 for my goal, but I need a time frame... by the end of April, perhaps? Give my self a little time to settle in in Tucson?

2012-03-12 3:20 PM

Payson, AZ

Welcome to Tucson!!!!  Congrats.  I know you were not so thrilled with your current job regardless so hopefully this will be a much better job for you.  So if your bored though and want to teach someone how to swim I have access to a great 25yrd pool just 4 doors down from me that is empty almost always.  Just saying...  lol

Tough choice on the bike.  You don't want to go too small cause if you do it will be poor handling.  Will you need furniture when you get here?  Cause you could use that as an excuse to go to Phoenix, get an IKEA trip and a bike shopping trip out of one day.  It's a boring drive but not too bad.  Or spend the night and go to a sporting event.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 95