BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-03 7:10 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by StaceyK I think maybe I can come off the DL. I only needed one lot of pain killers to get through the day today and I walked around a garden show for about 4 hours without a problem. Going to try a run tomorrow and see how I go. I'm kinda excited about that. (BTW just so you know when lifting your 60kg (130lb) puppy into the car be careful about how you twist.)

That's great news Stacey.  I hope your run goes well tomorrow.  Be careful.

well I didn't get my run in but I can still come of the DL. I dug holes with the crow bar in the rock today to replace the creeper on our front fence, and felt pretty good for most of it. Even now a few hours later still not feeling sore. Bit miffed at myself for not running, but had other stuff to do.

2015-05-03 7:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Unfortunately a competitor died at HIM Western Australia yesterday. He was pulled from the water by life savers who administered CPR, but he died later in hospital. The authorities are investigating but at this stage there "appear to be no suspicious circumstances".

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-03 7:30 AM
2015-05-03 7:30 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And Happy Anniversary / eternal honeymoon to Dub6!!!

Thanks, it was a good day indeed! I hope everyone can have many of the same.

2015-05-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ann-Marie, I don't know what idiot did the race list this week.  How could I have not had you on the list?  I even talked to you about it in inspires?!

Go Ann-Marie and enjoy Flying Pig tomorrow!

May Pigs Fly!

The Flying Pig is my neck of the woods.  I think that would be fun to do if I could run uninjured for an entire winter.

How did it go? I have friends finishing it already.

2015-05-03 7:40 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And Happy Anniversary / eternal honeymoon to Dub6!!!

Thanks, it was a good day indeed! I hope everyone can have many of the same.

It appears Mr. Mattee and I are hard at work on it

2015-05-03 7:59 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Well my race didn't go as planned.  I went from the race list straight to the DL.  With two miles left the group started surging pretty hard, and two guys in front of me tried to fill the same gap in the peloton.  After they bumped into each other they both fell.  I tried to get around them the best I could, but I ended up running over one of their rear wheels and slamming on the ground pretty hard.  The bike is OK, but my back left shoulder is scraped and bruised pretty bad.  I'm not sure where I picked up this habit, but I instinctively roll my left shoulder into whatever impact I'm about to feel.

I won't bother with pics of my scrapes, but here's my helmet from the race:

I borrowed a teammate's helmet to go ahead and do the 3 mile TT.  I managed to get through it, but I pretty much grit my teeth through the whole thing.  I'm staying home today instead of racing.  Moving the left arm is doable, but it hurts to do anything meaningful with it.  I couldn't do any solid cornering with it most likely.

All of my training was focused on this race.  It really sucks being ready and feeling well while having the actions of others put you out of the running at the same time.  That's an aspect of road racing I'll have to learn to deal with.

2015-05-03 1:34 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK Unfortunately a competitor died at HIM Western Australia yesterday. He was pulled from the water by life savers who administered CPR, but he died later in hospital. The authorities are investigating but at this stage there "appear to be no suspicious circumstances".

Hate to hear this. 

2015-05-03 1:35 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master

Originally posted by msteiner

Well my race didn't go as planned.  I went from the race list straight to the DL.  With two miles left the group started surging pretty hard, and two guys in front of me tried to fill the same gap in the peloton.  After they bumped into each other they both fell.  I tried to get around them the best I could, but I ended up running over one of their rear wheels and slamming on the ground pretty hard.  The bike is OK, but my back left shoulder is scraped and bruised pretty bad.  I'm not sure where I picked up this habit, but I instinctively roll my left shoulder into whatever impact I'm about to feel.

I borrowed a teammate's helmet to go ahead and do the 3 mile TT.  I managed to get through it, but I pretty much grit my teeth through the whole thing.  I'm staying home today instead of racing.  Moving the left arm is doable, but it hurts to do anything meaningful with it.  I couldn't do any solid cornering with it most likely.

All of my training was focused on this race.  It really sucks being ready and feeling well while having the actions of others put you out of the running at the same time.  That's an aspect of road racing I'll have to learn to deal with.

Yikes!  Glad it wasn't more serious.  Sorry you couldn't finish the weekend though.

2015-05-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Well, 21.1 km done, but that's about all I have to say .  I did not have it today.  My training has been decidedly sub par leading up to the race.  I was not feeling it by 5km and at 10km I decided to pull back and just finish.  I ended up walking here and there--some bits were getting sore and I figured no point in injuring myself on week 1 of IM training.  So it was a lovely run in the sun rather than a race.  Hope everyone else had good races and the weather co-operated!

2015-05-03 2:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

Well, 21.1 km done, but that's about all I have to say .  I did not have it today.  My training has been decidedly sub par leading up to the race.  I was not feeling it by 5km and at 10km I decided to pull back and just finish.  I ended up walking here and there--some bits were getting sore and I figured no point in injuring myself on week 1 of IM training.  So it was a lovely run in the sun rather than a race.  Hope everyone else had good races and the weather co-operated!

Well, had wanted to get a nice long ride in the later afternoon and into the evening, but seems the storms are suddenly jumping from overnight to the afternoon. 

2015-05-03 3:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Lots of race check-ins on FB and Strava!

Monica slid in under the radar with a tri this weekend. Bad Betty!

Has anyone seen anything from TJ?

MR Matt MS- glad you're ok! (relatively)

Kirsten- sunny run doesn't sound too bad

Adrienne- great work as usual. Trail machine! noooo...too industrial. Trail animal!

2015-05-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Finished the Tri Tyler Olympic this morning and managed to take 2nd in my AG. Had a blast at my first Olympic distance and surprised that racing back to back weeks was not near as tough as I expected. Now for a few days off
2015-05-03 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I'm alive. I survived it. That's about the only goal I met. Nutrition went great but hotter weather and a brand new hip pain made for a long day. Seeing Mary and DH with about 5k to go propelled me to the finish.
Everything south of my waist is hurty.
My friend Beth DNF-ed. We hadn't stayed together. She was behind me so I didn't learn until the end, from another friend, that the heat got to her and they put her in an ambulance.
2015-05-03 4:08 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner I'm alive. I survived it. That's about the only goal I met. Nutrition went great but hotter weather and a brand new hip pain made for a long day. Seeing Mary and DH with about 5k to go propelled me to the finish. Everything south of my waist is hurty. My friend Beth DNF-ed. We hadn't stayed together. She was behind me so I didn't learn until the end, from another friend, that the heat got to her and they put her in an ambulance.

TJ, sorry to hear about your friend and your hurty bits, but congrats on the finish!  Sometimes you just have to take what the day gives.  Lots of fluids and couch time for you!

2015-05-04 5:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner I'm alive. I survived it. That's about the only goal I met. Nutrition went great but hotter weather and a brand new hip pain made for a long day. Seeing Mary and DH with about 5k to go propelled me to the finish. Everything south of my waist is hurty. My friend Beth DNF-ed. We hadn't stayed together. She was behind me so I didn't learn until the end, from another friend, that the heat got to her and they put her in an ambulance.

Congratulations, surviving a marathon is a big accomplishment, especially your first. now take it easy and recover.  Sorry about your friend, running in the heat is no joke.

2015-05-04 5:20 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JJ- Finished the Tri Tyler Olympic this morning and managed to take 2nd in my AG. Had a blast at my first Olympic distance and surprised that racing back to back weeks was not near as tough as I expected. Now for a few days off

woo boo, congratulations podium boy!! 

2015-05-04 5:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

sorry you had such a rough outing, but it sounds like you made the right decision to dial things back and live to run another day !??

2015-05-04 5:24 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

Very sorry to hear this, both the injury piece and having a race shot like that.  Watching the pro cyclists, exactly this part always seems so capricious - almost actively unfair.  I guess it's part of it all, as you suggest, but I can imagine it's tough to deal with an A race getting blown up by something out of your control (and not weather or such, but other racers).

Glad you're not worse off with broken bones, and I hope you heal up quickly.  Looks like the helmet did its job!

Do you have a late season target race(s)?

Matt

2015-05-04 5:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, it could always be worse than a lovely run in the sun, right?

I just think you're showing the smarts that will see you through IM training healthy (i.e., uninjured) and happy. 

Matt

2015-05-04 5:28 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JJ- Finished the Tri Tyler Olympic this morning and managed to take 2nd in my AG. Had a blast at my first Olympic distance and surprised that racing back to back weeks was not near as tough as I expected. Now for a few days off

Woot woot!  Congrats on the PR and the Podium!

Take some well deserved rest (Strava needs to recover). 

Matt

2015-05-04 5:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

WOOHOOOOO!  Survive?  Nope - you finished something many people never start!

And heat that sends people away in an ambulance is nothing trivial, so you must have run smart, as well (I hope your friend is OK).

Congrats, well done, revel in the accomplishment and rest up!

Matt

2015-05-04 5:32 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ann-Marie, I don't know what idiot did the race list this week.  How could I have not had you on the list?  I even talked to you about it in inspires?!

Go Ann-Marie and enjoy Flying Pig tomorrow!

May Pigs Fly!

The Flying Pig is my neck of the woods.  I think that would be fun to do if I could run uninjured for an entire winter.

How did it go? I have friends finishing it already.

you should definitely do it if you get the chance.  The race course was great and the support along the route even better.  there is one hill that is pretty steep and which last about a mile or more that is quite the challenge, especially for this florida girl, but the rest of the hills are not bad and the last 3 miles ( of the HM) are close to all downhill.  one issue is the course is either long or it is really hard to keep from running it long. Everyone I know, and we had about 30 people with us, had the course a good .25 mile long. So, I ran 13.1 in 1:55 and 13,39 in 1:57??

2015-05-04 6:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It looks like many of us had a nice, albeit challenging, weekend. Way to tough it out racers, set PR's, and get on podiums!

Mr Matt, maybe this is the point to take a few days of rest, recovery and relaxation with your new wife. If that's possible for you (it seems that time off may be a mental challenge, seeing the way you train!)

I hope all is well in Manatee land for everyone.  Enjoy whatever the week has in store for you!

2015-05-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Took a 3-day offroading/camping trip to Sedona area before J leaves for Cali. Some really beautiful trails and views every day. We had two trails planned and ended up doing four, plus some hiking. I think I took 200+ pics  It was a good escape from reality.

Erin, those pictures are gorgeous and I especially love the one of the two kiddos.  That's definitely one to treasure.

2015-05-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by StaceyK I think maybe I can come off the DL. I only needed one lot of pain killers to get through the day today and I walked around a garden show for about 4 hours without a problem. Going to try a run tomorrow and see how I go. I'm kinda excited about that. (BTW just so you know when lifting your 60kg (130lb) puppy into the car be careful about how you twist.)

That's great news Stacey.  I hope your run goes well tomorrow.  Be careful.

well I didn't get my run in but I can still come of the DL. I dug holes with the crow bar in the rock today to replace the creeper on our front fence, and felt pretty good for most of it. Even now a few hours later still not feeling sore. Bit miffed at myself for not running, but had other stuff to do.

Great to hear you're feeling better!!  When pooches are that big, they should get their own darned selves into the car! 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29496 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69157 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57538 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.