BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-05 3:10 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Got to practice last night and had a roller coaster of emotions looking over the workout. It went from, "woohoo only 2 reps!" To "Woooohooo only 1500 meters!!!!" to, "Ohhhhh noooooo, 3K pace!"

The fast twitch-ers definitely laid the smack down out there. 

It's quite a thing to see someone run by you at a 4:15 pace.

Another really interesting thing to see, by the way, is how different people really do excel in different workout styles. 

That is all so awesome. Of course me being passed at that pace would be much more dramatic than it is for you

I used to be able to run that fast...25 years ago.  For like a 1/2 mile.  That's probably an all-out sprint for me now, and I'd rip a groin muscle doing it.

The only way I'm going that fast is if I fall out of an airplane.

And congrats on your recent Tour.  How does your bike strength compare to last summer?

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Just completed this about three hours ago.  I would say the 295 was pretty generous for my fitness last summer; I hadn't tested since Nov 2012 and I was pretty run focused last year.

All of that Suffering for 9 freakin' watts!!!!  Doesn't seem like much.  I know it matters, but it still doesn't seem like it.  :-)

2015-02-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm still very new to all of this so please excuse my newby questions! But what is the significance of threshold heart rate? Is this the same thing as max or something different?
2015-02-05 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jet Black I'm still very new to all of this so please excuse my newby questions! But what is the significance of threshold heart rate? Is this the same thing as max or something different?

It's similar to FTP in that its supposed the be the HR that you can hold for an hour before you start to crack.  For those without power meters, you can make training zones based off this number.  

For example mine looks like this:

MinMax   
Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR-144 LTHR180
Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR145.8160.2   
Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR162167.4   
Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR169.2178.2   
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR180183.6   
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR185.4190.8   
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHRXX   

I don't use this as I've been using TR's virtual power and a powercal.  By the end of this week I'll have a wheel built up with a PT hub, so I can ride with actual power full time.

If you have power then HR isn't necessarily needed at all, but for me it's good feedback to see what's going on with my body on days where I'm either killing a workout or not doing very well.

Before I got into TrainerRoad I did train by HR for two years with a fair amount of success.  Basically during races I would aim for my HR to be around 170 and not creep above 175 for too long.

Edited by msteiner 2015-02-05 3:43 PM
2015-02-05 4:02 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by popsracer New gear is always fun.  What kind of shoes did you get?
I went with the Zoot Ultra TT 7.0

Sean, one of the shoe sites said to size up 1/2 size on these.  Did you find them true to size?

I like that these have 10mm offset.  The new Pearl Izumi is only 1mm.

I had read the same, but some folks said they're sized to be worn without socks, which I plan on doing. So I ordered my asics size. I'll let you know when I get them if they fit or not.

A couple of years ago I raced a season with the Zoot TT 4.0, and while I tried other shoes since that one, it was my favorite shoe I wore for a long time.  Now when I run I use the Nike Free 4.0 with speed laces.  I'd bet I would be just as happy with the Zoots, but they're harder to get here, which is what prompted my switch in the first place.

Do you even Amazon, bro? I've gotten really used to Amazon and their awesome free returns policy. They even have fedex or whoever pick up the return at your front door. It's actually easier than finding the time to go to a store. Glad to hear you liked them! Edit: And they're only $70 on Amazon whereas the MSRP is $120

Sweet!! Amazon had my size for $53.98 including shipping.   I always support my LRS but they don't carry Zoots. 

2015-02-05 5:25 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer New gear is always fun.  What kind of shoes did you get?

Sean, one of the shoe sites said to size up 1/2 size on these.  Did you find them true to size?

I had read the same, but some folks said they're sized to be worn without socks, which I plan on doing. So I ordered my asics size. I'll let you know when I get them if they fit or not.

A couple of years ago I raced a season with the Zoot TT 4.0, and while I tried other shoes since that one, it was my favorite shoe I wore for a long time.  Now when I run I use the Nike Free 4.0 with speed laces.  I'd bet I would be just as happy with the Zoots, but they're harder to get here, which is what prompted my switch in the first place.

Do you even Amazon, bro? I've gotten really used to Amazon and their awesome free returns policy. They even have fedex or whoever pick up the return at your front door. It's actually easier than finding the time to go to a store. Glad to hear you liked them! Edit: And they're only $70 on Amazon whereas the MSRP is $120

Steve shops at lululemon, remember?

2015-02-05 5:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Wow, there is a really amazing conversation going on right now on social media. 

Lauren Fleshman, per usual, spoke out about the USATF commercial and the Nike sponsorship monopoly in the sport: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2015/02/usatf-yourwelcome-commercial-the-problem/

Brenda Martinez responded. 

http://instagram.com/p/ysWM78yd8M/?modal=true

Then Nick Symmonds called her response cute but myopitc  in the comments portion. 

Many more responses, including a comment/reply between those two. Interesting vibes. L-"I do not expect everyone to agree or want to take a leadership role." and B- "I'm aware of what is going on, I'm just choosing not to be a part of it...and I don't need people attacking me for your article."

I am curious about a statement L made about big sponsors. "15 years ago it was Adidas...10 years ago Reebok, and now they're gone. New companies come and flee."  I'm assuming she mean Nike pushes them out, and not that she's fighting the Nike monopoly, while saying history shows that companies come and go.

I don't understand why Brenda thinks she will be "attacked" for Lauren's statements

Yeah. I've actually lost some respect for Brenda. 

And where  is that quote at? 

In general she's not really in an anti-Nike battle. It's about USATF. 

I love how loud Symmonds and Fleshman have been about this. 

BTW I know the secret location of the oiselle storefront It is here, as I suspected (which totally makes sense.) Seattle trip soon?

2015-02-05 7:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Steve shops at lululemon, remember?

<clapping> 

2015-02-05 8:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Just completed this about three hours ago.  I would say the 295 was pretty generous for my fitness last summer; I hadn't tested since Nov 2012 and I was pretty run focused last year.

All of that Suffering for 9 freakin' watts!!!!  Doesn't seem like much.  I know it matters, but it still doesn't seem like it.  :-)

Nice going! Many people would be quite happy with a 3 as the first digit, even when it's in TR wattage.

2015-02-05 10:46 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Backwards or forwards? How do I read???

In-laws arrive on Friday, so it's been busy around here "visitorizing" the house. J has gotten some projects done that have been put off (painting rooms, organizing his office, working on his Land Cruiser), and I'm trying to get back to healthy. Did my first mostly run today since Friday before last. I didn't collapse.  Good news is that the crud didn't go into my chest.  However, the HM I was wanting to do this weekend is off the table. Booo

I heard the words Land Cruiser! Oh do tell more!

HAHA

After building up several 40s, and having his heart broken when his last finished one burned/melted in the 2003 San Diego fires, he has a '95 80 series as a project. Taking it to the welding shop this morning to have some exhaust work done (new y-pipe is on but needs connected). Old Man Emu lift is in near future, then paint and Slee bumpers. New leather in the plans, but not for awhile. Throw in the myriad little details all of such projects entail... I swear he's on IH8Mud all the time. lol   

My 100 is the "family car".

You had me at 40! I love Mud too! My 78(ish) FJ40 has been neglected due to time, money, kids, etc. I used to to Cruise Moab when I was near, but I do not trust its current condition to run a trail. I have a long list of need to do and I can't wait to get some garage space and crawl under it again. Many Many happy and late night hours have been spent it. Busting knuckles is actually more fun than trainer rides. Who would have guessed?
2015-02-06 5:42 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by brigby1

Nice going! Many people would be quite happy with a 3 as the first digit, even when it's in TR wattage.

Notice I neglected to include the W/kg. :-)I'd be interested to see how that would translate to "real" power. The big problem (other than the actual accuracy itself) of VP is you don't get the credit for the spike in wattage it takes to accelerate and receive it even after you stop pedaling. I would think that would under-estimate your NP and IF a bit, especially in sprinting.
2015-02-06 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by Jet BlackI'm still very new to all of this so please excuse my newby questions! But what is the significance of threshold heart rate? Is this the same thing as max or something different?
No problem...that's what the mentor groups are for (well, other than the pictures, gossip, car talk, cats, and general heckling...).Like Matt said, the LTHR is your average HR over the course of an hour workout where you bust it completely. There are ways of estimating it without doing that full hour (like the 20-minute test I just did, where it takes your average HR and applies an algorithm to it). Good ways of guesstimating it would be a 10k race for running or a 40k TT for cycling. It would be a little off but without actual lab testing that would be within your margin of error anyway.While I found the HR info useful in an "oh, that's interesting" kind of way and again, like Matt, it might indicate fatigue or a particularly good day, there are a few problems using HR to train exclusively. First, it's a lagging indicator of effort, and that varies from person to person. That lag is really prominent during short, high-intensity intervals where you may never get your HR up as high as the zone indicates in the workout. Second, there are a multitude external factors such as temperature, sleep quality, caffiene intake, that all affect your HR. Races are even worse...I get so amped up my resting HR is 20 beats higher to start.There's a very good primer written by Mike Ricci (one of the D3 coaches) on max HR vs. LTHR on the site here somewhere.

2015-02-06 6:06 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Awesome, thanks for the explanations guys!
2015-02-06 6:07 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by AsalzwedSteve shops at lululemon, remember?

That's funny right there.
2015-02-06 7:34 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Drive by posting.....

Went to the cardiologist Thursday, gave the all clear to train again. MMmmmm, currently on a 37 day streak

I have been given permission by DW to go on holiday on my own if I pay for her, the cherubs and her friend to go off somewhere. So, I get to go to the south of France in May for a week triathlon training camp
I'm going here...
http://www.les-stables.com/
At £290.00 per week, I think it's a good deal. I'm mainly going for the swim video analysis, but the other training should pay dividends too. I've priced up swim analysis over here in the UK, but By the time you factor in travel, it's not far off half the cost of this week. I can get flights super cheap for this trip also, at only £55.00 return. Super excited.

I tried to watch some of that super bowl last week. So boring to me. Apologies if I offend, but I don't get where the excitement comes from. It seems you have a few minutes of setting up for all of 10-20 seconds of action before it has to reset again. Perhaps I'd get it if I were to see a real game with someone explaining what was going on and I'm able to feel when something's heating up.

Our "Super Bowl" is happening tonight. The most important match for any Welsh man (and woman). Wales v England at home in Cardiff at Rugby. There will be a few sore heads tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm working, but I'll try to steal a few glances at the game when I can. It's a good job I'm abstaining from alcohol until after my marathon.

#Lastly, why is it that dogs think you're playing when trying to put your trainers on to go for a run. At least I got some pre run stretching in, thanks Lucy.

(1511018_10153006220899020_2384226891919551248_n.jpg)

(10968559_10153006220719020_1363573054167900447_n.jpg)

(10985257_10153006221034020_5980247322552580920_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1511018_10153006220899020_2384226891919551248_n.jpg (43KB - 8 downloads)
10968559_10153006220719020_1363573054167900447_n.jpg (67KB - 8 downloads)
10985257_10153006221034020_5980247322552580920_n.jpg (83KB - 4 downloads)
2015-02-06 7:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Notice I neglected to include the W/kg. :-)I'd be interested to see how that would translate to "real" power. The big problem (other than the actual accuracy itself) of VP is you don't get the credit for the spike in wattage it takes to accelerate and receive it even after you stop pedaling. I would think that would under-estimate your NP and IF a bit, especially in sprinting.

It's off-season, I'm not thinking w/kg either. From what I've seen, TR tends to overestimate some, though not always. Would be interesting to see exactly, but higher 200's is probably fair. The power under acceleration depends on how advanced the software is. Some do actually take the rate of change into account for their estimations, though lesser ones will only use current speed.

2015-02-06 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

It's off-season, I'm not thinking w/kg either. From what I've seen, TR tends to overestimate some, though not always. Would be interesting to see exactly, but higher 200's is probably fair. The power under acceleration depends on how advanced the software is. Some do actually take the rate of change into account for their estimations, though lesser ones will only use current speed.

I've been using TR for indoors and a Powercal for outdoors for about a year now.  I have a PT wheel being built up this weekend, so next week I'll get to see how my real power translates.  I'll definitely be sure to report on it.  During my last 20 minute test the Powercal and TR matched, but it will be interesting to see how close real world power is.

2015-02-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

I've been using TR for indoors and a Powercal for outdoors for about a year now.  I have a PT wheel being built up this weekend, so next week I'll get to see how my real power translates.  I'll definitely be sure to report on it.  During my last 20 minute test the Powercal and TR matched, but it will be interesting to see how close real world power is.

Have you tried this before? Thinking that you were one of the exceptions and had the PT show a bit more power than TR did.

2015-02-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
2015-02-06 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Have you tried this before? Thinking that you were one of the exceptions and had the PT show a bit more power than TR did.

I have tested it against a PT before, and TR seemed to measure about 10 watts lower in the last 20 minute effort I did, but even a quarq or a Stages can vary by that much, so I concluded that for time trial training TR was fine.

Now that I'm road racing, however, I'm more concerned about my 1 minute power and 20s power, so for those I need a more precise tool for measurement. 

2015-02-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Radio Shack files for bankruptcy and Lance Armstrong is in trouble again.  Coincidence or not?  Discuss.

Lance Radio Shack Armstrong

Nearly 100 years for Radio Shack. It was a good run, but time has passed them by. Somewhat sad for RS, but not unexpected.

LA is simply sad. He needs to step up like Johnny Manziel and get the help he really needs. And there is a sentence I never thought I would utter.

2015-02-06 9:11 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Radio Shack files for bankruptcy and Lance Armstrong is in trouble again.  Coincidence or not?  Discuss.

Nearly 100 years for Radio Shack. It was a good run, but time has passed them by. Somewhat sad for RS, but not unexpected.

LA is simply sad. He needs to step up like Johnny Manziel and get the help he really needs. And there is a sentence I never thought I would utter.

It's really hard to like or forgive Lance.

2015-02-06 9:18 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Agreed. And you can't deny his talent, but the rest of the package... Well, it is all sad, especially when you factor in LiveStrong. The man is a walking enigma.

2015-02-06 9:35 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Drive by posting..... Went to the cardiologist Thursday, gave the all clear to train again. MMmmmm, currently on a 37 day streak I have been given permission by DW to go on holiday on my own if I pay for her, the cherubs and her friend to go off somewhere. So, I get to go to the south of France in May for a week triathlon training camp I'm going here... http://www.les-stables.com/At £290.00 per week, I think it's a good deal. I'm mainly going for the swim video analysis, but the other training should pay dividends too. I've priced up swim analysis over here in the UK, but By the time you factor in travel, it's not far off half the cost of this week. I can get flights super cheap for this trip also, at only £55.00 return. Super excited. I tried to watch some of that super bowl last week. So boring to me. Apologies if I offend, but I don't get where the excitement comes from. It seems you have a few minutes of setting up for all of 10-20 seconds of action before it has to reset again. Perhaps I'd get it if I were to see a real game with someone explaining what was going on and I'm able to feel when something's heating up. Our "Super Bowl" is happening tonight. The most important match for any Welsh man (and woman). Wales v England at home in Cardiff at Rugby. There will be a few sore heads tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm working, but I'll try to steal a few glances at the game when I can. It's a good job I'm abstaining from alcohol until after my marathon. #Lastly, why is it that dogs think you're playing when trying to put your trainers on to go for a run. At least I got some pre run stretching in, thanks Lucy.

Too much awesomeness for one post!!!!!!!!!! First I am super jealous of your tri camp in the South of France!!!!!!! And what a price?! Will you pay for my "holiday" too?! 

As for the Super Bowl, yeah it's an American thing. Rugby players are way tougher!!!!!!!!

And Lucy? Well if I'm putting on my "trainers" two of the three dogs go nuts wanting to be the one to run with me, the other couldn't care less. Now if I'm on the floor stretching or rolling, well that's a horse of a different colo(u)r. Then I have three dogs and two cats wanting to play.

2015-02-06 9:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Agreed. And you can't deny his talent, but the rest of the package... Well, it is all sad, especially when you factor in LiveStrong. The man is a walking enigma.

Exactly. Such a waste of talent. As for RS, that was a long slow death. The stores have been empty for years. They could have kept up but they chose to stock outdated technologies.

2015-02-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I don't understand why Brenda thinks she will be "attacked" for Lauren's statements

Yeah. I've actually lost some respect for Brenda. 

And where  is that quote at? 

In general she's not really in an anti-Nike battle. It's about USATF. 

I love how loud Symmonds and Fleshman have been about this. 

BTW I know the secret location of the oiselle storefront It is here, as I suspected (which totally makes sense.) Seattle trip soon?

I need to work that out! Between the new roasting/tasting room and the new Oiselle store I NEED TO VISIT!!!!!!!

ETA: A new coffe shop opened up in ABQ that I must check out with DS2 before he leaves   They posted this picture the other day. They were having a cupping session to test new coffees for the shop.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-02-06 9:57 AM

(humble.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
humble.JPG (134KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55377 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.