Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-09-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by spudone

Checking in from Squaw Valley. 8:30am and 32F. Good times

They actually just added a clothes drop-off point after the 2nd bike aid station so we can strip when it starts to warm up.

I'm off to go do a little swimming.

Heck, I thought you were doing Tahoe *next* year, not this year!   Good luck!!!!!

2013-09-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
3:45/80 mile ride Saturday, 12 mi run Sunday
2013-09-20 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

They actually just added a clothes drop-off point after the 2nd bike aid station so we can strip when it starts to warm up.

Good luck!  Hope you rock it.  

Rusty, enjoy the trip.  Sounds awesome!

What's everyone else have on tap this weekend?

I'm still decomposing decompressing with a little off season lack of training.  I can't believe I've turned NOT working out into an internal competition (but I WILL make it one full week without exercising, d@mn it!).  Feels great, actually - first time I've ever needed an "off season," so I'm oddly even psyched about that (good year of training).

All I'm gonna do is help the better half celebrate her (recurring) 29th birthday!  Dinner with her and the kids out, maybe head downtown and poke around - all non-tri stuff (except the sitting down with her and planning our seasons next year, that is).

Hope y'all have a GREAT one!

Matt

I have a 1:45 run tomorrow and then a 65k bike race on Sunday.

I guess a fish DOES need a bicycle, at least every now and again...

What format?

2013-09-20 12:16 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I guess a fish DOES need a bicycle, at least every now and again...

What format?

When they say go, try to beat everyone else to the finish line.  

2013-09-20 12:36 PM

User image

Good luck with the race.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Riding 110 tomorrow and running 17 Sunday.  Almost there, just 7 more days of hard stuff.

2013-09-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

Riding 110 tomorrow and running 17 Sunday.  Almost there, just 7 more days of hard stuff.

Geez that's a big weekend - I'm ready for a nap just reading those numbers.

2013-09-20 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Have a great race Mark!!

2013-09-20 12:48 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Just putting it out there....

I have an Adamo Road, Adamo Racing, Cobb V-flow Plus (though a friend is borrowing it at the moment), and whatever Fizik came stock on my bike -- if anyone wants to try any of them, let me know and I'd be happy to ship it out.  If you like it, we can figure out a price for you to buy it.

Of course, I still suggest going to a shop with a fit bike (or even your own bike set up on a trainer) and have a fitter swap out a bunch of saddles to see if they work for you.  But I have a bunch of saddles just lying around and should eventually sell them and try to recoup some of my losses!

Nicole - I may just take you up on that offer.  Still holding out hope for a saddle tour north of the border!

2013-09-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

What's everyone else have on tap this weekend?

Last weekend's backpacking trip is requiring a lot more recovery than expected -- running is brutal, swimming is affected MUCH more than expected, but biking seems to be alright.  So I think I'll do a Sufferfest video tomorrow and a long-ish ride on Sunday, assuming the thunderstorms pass.

Off season is kind of nice not having the training be overly structured.  Though I may do a sprint next weekend.  We'll see

2013-09-20 1:49 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Geez that's a big weekend - I'm ready for a nap just reading those numbers.

Believe me...I'm ready for a nap too right now.

2013-09-20 1:51 PM

User image

Dropping off my road bike to have the shifters, rear deraileur and brakes upgraded to Force.  Don't really need it, but my mechanice needed to sell some of his lightly used stuff to pay for college bills.  Figured it was a win/win as I probably owe him a lot more than the money I'm giving him considering how much work he does on my bike for free.

Can't wait to get back on the road bike after Kona.

2013-09-20 5:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Good luck!  I hope the weather cooperates enough that no changes are required (ie. shortening things...)

What's your bib number?

haven't heard of any changes being made so far. Not sure what will happen if there's ice on the road.

Edited by spudone 2013-09-20 5:43 PM
2013-09-20 5:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-20 5:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-20 8:23 PM

Payson, AZ

Dropping off my road bike to have the shifters, rear deraileur and brakes upgraded to Force.  Don't really need it, but my mechanice needed to sell some of his lightly used stuff to pay for college bills.  Figured it was a win/win as I probably owe him a lot more than the money I'm giving him considering how much work he does on my bike for free.

What are you replacing?

2013-09-21 10:11 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

Originally posted by bzgl40

What are you replacing?

Shifters and RD are Rival.  Brakes are probably Apex level or the lowest level SRAM road brakes as they don't have a label on them except "SRAM."  I was looking to replace my brakes soon anyway as they kind of suck...the shifters and RD is just for decoration.  I don't expect much of a difference...but now my bike will be all Force (already had a Force FD) so you know...gotta match.

2013-09-21 10:28 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

WARNING:  Vent commencing

This part got me thinking (I know, look out).

I've had my road bike fitted professionally (start and mid-season) to try to dial it in, but my tri bike just feels more comfortable.  NOT what I expected…  I suppose I have to fit the road bike again and with a different fitter (have used 3 over the course of ownership, and they definitely came up with slightly different "answers," but that could have been partly where I was in the season - that and the first fit when I bought it had to accommodate more of me than there is now) or tell one the 2 still in state what the problems are and that they need to fit me differently…  Nothing like paying someone to fit you and then telling them what to do - eek.

Not really sure I even have a question to ask on this one, but it seems to be counter to everything I expected and what other people find.  I'm fine on the aerobars for several hours without my neck or back buggin' me, but put me on the roadie for 90' and it $ux - in all 3 versions of the fit.  Mostly right neck pain, but some lower back, too.

I'll be curious to see what it's like after the season of tri biking - maybe all will be well(?).

I'm tempted to say $crew the fitters and just monkey with it until it feels right, but that's prolly asking for a different kind of trouble.

OK, venting complete!

Jason, when you do get back on your road bike, you'll certainly deserve a change!

M

2013-09-21 10:34 AM

Regular
LHOTP

Checking in from Squaw Valley. 8:30am and 32F. Good times :)

Good luck!  I hope the weather cooperates enough that no changes are required (ie. shortening things...)

What's your bib number?

haven't heard of any changes being made so far. Not sure what will happen if there's ice on the road.

Wow...good luck tomorrow Mark!  Race smart :)

2013-09-21 5:16 PM
in reply to: switch

Holy cow, after IM training I forgot how much it hurt to go hard. Rode 70 and ran 2 off the bike today, fastest ave pace I've ever ridden on this stretch of road (PCH from Malibu to Oxnard) and probably fastest training ride pace ever at 20+. Ran 8:30s off the bike but they hurt. Harder than IM training!

In other news, heading to the LBS in about an hour to pick up the new bike! .

2013-09-21 7:28 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by ChrisM Holy cow, after IM training I forgot how much it hurt to go hard. Rode 70 and ran 2 off the bike today, fastest ave pace I've ever ridden on this stretch of road (PCH from Malibu to Oxnard) and probably fastest training ride pace ever at 20+. Ran 8:30s off the bike but they hurt. Harder than IM training!

In other news, heading to the LBS in about an hour to pick up the new bike! .

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

2013-09-21 8:24 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

I wasn't sure about the paint scheme from the pics online but in person that is one damn fine looking bike! Pics soon

2013-09-22 11:01 AM

Payson, AZ
Mark is on the bike and moving along at a pretty good clip so far.  Not sure what he was expecting for his swim time but I noticed the pro's swim times were rather slow overall.  I mean they were fast as a relative term but no one got under an hour that I saw.
2013-09-22 11:23 AM

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bzgl40 Mark is on the bike and moving along at a pretty good clip so far.  Not sure what he was expecting for his swim time but I noticed the pro's swim times were rather slow overall.  I mean they were fast as a relative term but no one got under an hour that I saw.

I see a ton of people under an hour, including a majority of the pros.  i was actually surprised at how fast the swims were.

2013-09-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: switch

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by bzgl40 Mark is on the bike and moving along at a pretty good clip so far.  Not sure what he was expecting for his swim time but I noticed the pro's swim times were rather slow overall.  I mean they were fast as a relative term but no one got under an hour that I saw.

I see a ton of people under an hour, including a majority of the pros.  i was actually surprised at how fast the swims were.

hum, I was just going by their feed, not actually the tracking page.  Teach me to trust that darn feed.

2013-09-22 11:39 AM

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bzgl40
Originally posted by switch

hum, I was just going by their feed, not actually the tracking page.  Teach me to trust that darn feed.

:)

I've been ridiculously glued to this one since 6:30 this morning.  I woke up multiple times last night thinking about those racers.  I'm such a wuss in the cold.  I just don't know if I would be able to HTFU and do it in those conditions. I would never go for a training swim or ride in conditions like that, so I guess it would end up being a big experiment.  I just hope everyone is OK.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.