General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2009-11-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2532196

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

NLG - 2009-11-26 6:07 AM
trilund - 2009-11-25 8:07 AM Thanks for your feedback (your wife thanks you)!  I have some friends that are more of the conservative type who would advise against it.  However, as some would say "Go Big or Go Home"!  The good news is I tend to recover fast and I think 3 weeks out may not be a bad thing.  Also the benefits of getting the feel for race day in the water and working out on the bike is something you can't replace in regular training rides.  I would also be curious to know if anyone else on the forum has done this and would give it a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down"?
Five weeks out I plan to do a Half Iron in Victoria. I'm not planning to "leave it all out on the course" though. It will be more of a run/moderate effort. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that if you don't try to post a pb and lighten your taper (hydrate like never before, sleep like never before, really, really take it easy this time) a bit more in the two weeks leading up to CDA, you'll probably be fine. Just my $0.02. NLG

I think it's best to be over recovered prior to the race.

2009-11-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2532201

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

T in Liberty Lake - 2009-11-26 9:15 AM

JessicaHintz - 2009-11-25 5:49 PM

As for swimming, I have a sleeveless and full wetsuit. I always swim with my sleeveless. Is the full a given for Lake CdA and how cold the temps get?

Most people will wear a full.  I have seen a couple people go without a wetsuit.  I have done IMCDA 5 times in a sleeveless without any issues.  I plan to race 2010 in a sleeveless as well.

I've worn a sleeveless with a neoprene cap my two previous times at CdA. 

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! 

2009-11-26 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2532443

User image

Master

captantony - 2009-11-26 9:47 AM

T in Liberty Lake - 2009-11-26 9:15 AM

JessicaHintz - 2009-11-25 5:49 PM

As for swimming, I have a sleeveless and full wetsuit. I always swim with my sleeveless. Is the full a given for Lake CdA and how cold the temps get?

Most people will wear a full.  I have seen a couple people go without a wetsuit.  I have done IMCDA 5 times in a sleeveless without any issues.  I plan to race 2010 in a sleeveless as well.

I've worn a sleeveless with a neoprene cap my two previous times at CdA. 

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! 

In 2008, in what I believe was the coldest swim in CDA, I wore a sleeveless and am a 1:30 swimmer. I was definately ready to get by then but totally plan on the sleeveless again in 2010.

2009-11-27 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2236122

User image

Bothell, Washington
Great! Im glad to hear sleeveless is not unheard of in CdA
2009-11-30 12:46 PM

User image

Not a regular contributer to BT... but I appreciate the info on here a lot!! I'm doing IM CDA 2010, my first IM race, and really excited!! We're travelling from Alberta, Canada with the whole family, and thinking about dragging our RV down since we're going to tie the race into a camping holiday. Does anyone have experience with any of the 'RV Resorts' in the Cd'A area? Online they look okay, (glorified parking lots... I know!!)  but I'm hoping to weed out a few of the really 'undesirable' ones. Any advice from those that live in the area or have been there would be great!
2009-11-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2262008

User image

New user
www.zink12.spaces.live.com

Check out these places. Me and 3 other 1st timers secured a place through Anne. I worked for 2 weeks to get a place. They are going fasstttttt. We may have an extra room for a couple other BT guys to help slit cost. 2260$ for 5 nights. If 5 split rent, about $465 each.
I am pumped about this race.

2009-11-30 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2536012

User image

Regular
Becky, I am coming from Boise which still is a pretty good haul (Approx 400 miles) and I may bring a tent trailer along.  I have yet to decide.  I know a few others who have completed the IMCDA from the Boise area and they have pulled an RV up there and have stayed at the Blackwell RV Park and have recommended it as a good option (http://www.idahorvpark.com/).  I have made reservations there as a back-up.  Apparently it has easy access to the start of the race (minutes away).  In addition, it is only $40-$50 a night.  Having said that I also have reservations at the Shilo Inn.  I will make a final decision where I stay in the Spring. 
2009-11-30 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2532319

User image

Regular
Good feedback guys...  Thanks!  Decisions, decisions....  The 2009 race calendar is starting to shape up.  Let the training begin!   
2009-12-01 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2536927

User image

Veteran
California
The Blackwell RV park is nice.  As mentioned, it is a big RV park, pretty close to everything, and has the amenities of an RV park.

In past years, I have had family that stayed in an RV at the Cedar Motel and RV Park.  It's a very small, very friendly, and very outdated hotel.  It's completely adequate, but nothing fancy (read: green carpet and wood paneled walls).  They have about a half dozen RV hook-ups in a tree shaded area.  One of the nice things is the motel is literally on both the run and bike courses, so family can watch you bike past 4 times and run past 4 times (out and back, two laps) without leaving home.

The place is very friendly, and the owners and residents will be some of your biggest fans.  They set up camp on the side of the course, drink beers all day, and cheer for you everytime you pass.  I'll be staying at the motel again in 2010 (in a room with a kitchen).

Good luck!
2009-12-01 1:29 PM

Regular
Hi,

Day 1 of my 30 week plan begins today I am really excited about my first IM!

Happy training,

Kendra

Edited by Jeter2 2009-12-01 1:31 PM
2009-12-01 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

I got a chance to run one loop of the course this past weekend.  What a great course!

2009-12-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2536012

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
bheemeryck - 2009-11-30 10:46 AM Not a regular contributer to BT... but I appreciate the info on here a lot!! I'm doing IM CDA 2010, my first IM race, and really excited!! We're travelling from Alberta, Canada with the whole family, and thinking about dragging our RV down since we're going to tie the race into a camping holiday. Does anyone have experience with any of the 'RV Resorts' in the Cd'A area? Online they look okay, (glorified parking lots... I know!!)  but I'm hoping to weed out a few of the really 'undesirable' ones. Any advice from those that live in the area or have been there would be great!

We're taking our RV and staying at Blackwell Island RV Park. I haven't stayed there before, but it looks really nice and is only 1.5 miles from city center.
2009-12-01 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2538056

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

You can't ask for better scenery, really. Some waves, some climbs, and a scenic run by the lake. All good !

2009-12-02 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hias all.  I got in my 1st 30k trail run (8000 feet elevation gain)  (2nd place woot!) and 2nd 30k trail run (5000 feet elevation gain but more technical(3rd place still woot!) and have my mary coming up January 17th.  After that I have a recovery week or 2 and then into IM training. 

I put in 170 miles running last month and probably the same this month.  I am kind of looking forward to the leasurely training of early IM work where I can get more cross training in (swim and bike).  What I really want though is more daylight hours.  No after work daylight is a killer for workouts.  And 18F temps in the morning are none too motivating either.  I know it is colder elsewhere, but still not motivating.  Oh well.  

Anyone else finished any races recently?   

2009-12-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2539593

User image

New user
Baowolf - do you have an endless pool? So you like it?
2009-12-02 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Baowolf - nice job on the 30k trail races! Podium finishes are always cool. I just missed out at the Turkey Tri in San Dimas (4th). You doing Rock 'n' Roll AZ? I also ran the Silver Strand half in Coronado in mid-Nov and I'm currently training for the Carlsbad full. After that, it will be on to IM training with a few shorter races - not to mention Oceanside and Boston - along the way.  Yes, more daylight would be nice.  I miss evening rides and open water swims in La Jolla!

2009-12-03 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am doing the Redding (CA) marathon.  It is about 900 miles closer than the AZ one (each way) and I don't want to burn work days to do the mary. 

My swimspa is the top of the line Swimex, way better than Endless Pool.  As I live 100 miles from the nearest pool for 10 months out of the year I saw it as my best option.  The main differences are that the current on the Endless pool is like 18 inches wide and 6 inches deep where the Swimex current is 7 feet+ wide (side to side in the pool) and 24 ish inches deep.  In the Endless pool the water bounces off the back of the pool and then kind of makes it way back up front again where as with the Swimex the water cycles under the pool and all comes out the front again (3.5 foot diamiter paddle wheel with a 7.5 hp engine).  So the top end of the Swimex current is like 3.5 mph, way faster than I can swim for sure.  It also has programable intervals for workouts at different speeds.  The Swimex is also insolated fiberglass, so you don't hve to worry about replacing liners and I only turn the heat on one day a week to keep it at a pleasant temperature the rest of the week.  

So I am not sponsored by them or anything, but I am very happy with it.  I just need to get done with this mary so I can become more swim focused and enjoy it.  Love the no lane sharing, no turns and I can swim at 10pm if I want to.        

Edited by Baowolf 2009-12-03 11:54 AM
2009-12-07 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Turns out I may be taking a trip to CdA in early May.  As I'm about 3000 miles away, didn't figure any real chance to scout the course.  But for my father's retirement gift, I'm thinking of taking him on a long golf weekend.  I know there is a very nice golf resort in CdA.

So I'm finalizing plans to get plane tickets and golf tee times.  Figure when we're not out on the links, I'll be able to scout the run course and at least drive parts of the bike course.

I'll post more when it is finalized and if anyone is in the area, we should meet up for a run.

Also, found out yesterday when playing around online - there are some dirt-cheap hotels (like $700 for 6 days) in Liberty Lake and Verdagna (sic).  They are about 20 minutes west of CdA, but what are thoughts about staying 25 minutes away - so I get up a few extra minutes early on raceday - so what?  Thoughts?

2009-12-07 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2545907

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Also, found out yesterday when playing around online - there are some dirt-cheap hotels (like $700 for 6 days) in Liberty Lake and Verdagna (sic).  They are about 20 minutes west of CdA, but what are thoughts about staying 25 minutes away - so I get up a few extra minutes early on raceday - so what?  Thoughts?

Personally I would spend the extra money and stay in town.  The race week atmosphere is part of the experience.  Last year we stayed 2 blocks from the finish line.  That was the best and really was great on race day.  Speaking of which, I need to get on booking lodging myself for next June. 

2009-12-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2545907

User image

Veteran
California
condorman - 2009-12-07 7:15 AM

There are also dirt cheap hotels in CdA.  The secret is they are small hotels (typically 12 rooms or so), are not part of the 5 nite minimum stay allegiance, and are not luxury by any definition.  I'm staying at one that is about 1 mile from the start, and right on the bike and run courses.  It is completely adequate, very friendly, and dirt cheap for only 3 nites.  Many of these places don't have a website, so some phone calling is needed.
2009-12-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2545993

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Hi guys!! Starting to get excited as training begins!! I have a house reserved with several other racers, but want to get a couple backup hotel rooms for friends who may be coming in.  There's not much in CdA available, can anyone recommend a few hotels that would be somewhat nearby? Even if they have to drive 20-30 minutes, it would at least be a place to crash. 

When are you guys booking flights? They were much cheaper when they first came available, and now from ATL I'm looking at $400 apiece.  Would you suggest waiting or booking now?

Look forward to getting to know everyone more!

- Sarah

2009-12-10 1:30 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I'm not ready yet to book my flight.  My husband and I are still trying to decide if we will fly with our bikes or do tri bike transport.  We had to buy bike cases for IM Couzmel since that was the only way to get our bikes there, so now we want to get our use out of them.  US Airways has a deal that you can fly with you bike for free- you have to book your flight through a special website and they send you bike vouchers to use.  We used them for Couzmel and it saved my husband and I $400- since it cost $100 each way/per bike on US Airways to fly with a bike.  So...still trying to figure it all out.  If we want to fly with our bikes we have to fly US Airways since they'll give us vouchers.  If we don't fly with our bikes we'll want to fly Delta, since that is where all my miles are.  Hopefully after the first of the year we'll decide and get our flights booked.  And that will be one less thing to worry about.

I am still recovering from IM Cozumel- going on week #2.  I can't wait to get back at it.  It feels really weird not being able to do a whole lot.  And I came down with a post IM ear infection.  So I gotta recover from that before I can even hit the pool again!
2009-12-11 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am focused on this mary atm.  I am kind of wanting to get it over with as my body won't let me swim much or bike much now that I am up to 170 miles a month in the last build for the mary. 

I kind of want to get more swims in, even though I know I probably won't get much faster, I just need to get full use of my pool.  And bike is the main area I can make up some time, if I can get better on that this year.  However, the forcast for today is snow, tomorrow is rain and snow mix and Sunday is flurries.  I hate snow during my long runs and am not sure I am emotionally prepared for a 20 miler on the dreadmill. The bike certainly is not going outside with icy roads.  My baby will be indoors on the trainer with a blanket to keep her warm. 
2009-12-11 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
I finally finished one full loop of the bike course on the CompuTrainer.  It took me three different hour-long evening sessions with some pretty good intensity (130-150 heart rate).  I'm not sure exactly how the CT speed compares to riding the actual course, but it seems like I'll be slower than anticipated.  It's hard to stay motivated on the trainer, but still...those hills in the middle will eat into the overall time.  I think I'll just focus on heart rate and wattage (I'm averaging just under 200 watts) and try not to worry about mph.  It will be interesting to see how everything compares when riding the actual course.

I can say that it will be nice to have the (mostly) downhill 10-mile section at the end, but there is a short little incline on the last out-and-back loop right near the end that will be not be fun at mile 111.  Although, by that time, I think it will be a relief to know that we're just about a mile from the end!

The loop reminded me a lot of both the Oceanside and Lake Stevens 70.3 bike courses.  The elevation profile is similar to Oceanside; there are more inclines at CDA, but they're less intense.  The climbs max out at a little less than 11% grade. The scenery is similar to Lake Stevens, but there are more straightaways and flat sections at CDA.

It looks like a beautiful place to race!
2009-12-11 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2555048

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

I don't know what the CompuTrainer course shows but you will have a very hard time finding a real hill at mile 111.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53