BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-01 8:37 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Happy New Year
Happy New Year to All,

Still working on plans/goals for 2014. Have been sidelined from running due to knee pain. Have been to the Ortho and now scheduled for an MRI on the 6th. Had meniscus surgery in Feb 2012 and now experiencing the same symtoms. Hoping for the best as I really do not want to have the surgery again. I will keep my fingers crossed and hopefully it is something different.

In the meantime I have been focusing on the swim to stay off the legs and work on my weakest discipline ( not that I have a strong one

Scott- I am really enjoying your suggestions regarding working on "form and technique" and will try to implement some of this in to my workouts. I recently joined the local YMCA and hope to get more swimming in then I did last year.

Will adjust my goals as soon as I have a clearer picture of the knee situation.

Again, Happy New Year to all the Grays!

Dave

2014-01-01 9:18 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: The Same or Different?
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Steve,

I have a question.  I think, actually I am pretty sure, I know the answer but thought I would ask just to be sure.

For each of the next several weeks, I am going to have one day each week that is likely going to be the "day from hell," meaning it is a pretty full day.  It happens to fall on a medium bike day.  I can either get on the bike before sun-up, or after sun-down or I can split the ride up and do it in segments over the course of the day.

So my question - All other things being equal (HR, RPE, etc.) Is a 90 minute ride the same as 2 x 45 minute rides or 3 x 30 minute rides?

Scott--I don't know for sure. What I've always read is your body doesn't know 1 X 90 mins from 2 X 45. And if that make your schedule more bearable, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use that option. The most important thing is to get in the training...which will include the side benefit of calorie burn to keep you on the path to hitting your race weight.

That said, I tend to really value the last 15 minutes of longer training sessions. It's the kind of training you can only get when you're tired because you're not just teaching the body to go for 90 full minutes, but you're also learning to endure mentally while fatigued. When I'm at mile 9 of a 10 mile training run, I keep telling myself that I had to run 9 miles to get to the point of having an opportunity to truly train for this last mile. Since I don't think the issues with fatigue and breakdown of form (swimming) are the same in running/cycling that's not an issue.

So in the end, my advice is do what works best for you to get in training without sacrificing the overall workout minutes.

Good luck.

Steve
2014-01-02 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4915093

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Morning all-
Reading your posts has been both inspiring and then not. I clearly run with this pack in hair color only. None the less I went for a short jog after my polar plunge yesterday. Narragansett Bay was a balmy 39 degrees with air temp of 28 or so but a nasty north wind. No snow angels this year but lots of snow heading my way today & tomorrow. I "ran" through the woods and frozen pastures around my house. Slow going on rutted frozen trails. Beautiful views though and I always prefer being outside to in. It is just hard to get moving sometimes when the fire is toasty.
I have loose plans for the year. Half Mary in early May and likely an Oly in late August. Maybe a sprint in July. I have not done a Tri since 2011 and have had knee issues. I will see how things go. All the swim chatter has gotten me psyched to get in the pool. I will probably join the local Y again so I can swim. I breaststroke too much and it really bothers my knee so I will follow Scott's wonderful advice on learning freestyle proficiently over the winter and then work on endurance. I did teach myself to breath on both sides which helps when I hit the bay to swim come summer.
Happy New Year to all! Time to finish those holiday treats before our contest begins.
2014-01-02 7:22 AM
in reply to: KOM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by KOM Morning all- Reading your posts has been both inspiring and then not. I clearly run with this pack in hair color only. None the less I went for a short jog after my polar plunge yesterday. Narragansett Bay was a balmy 39 degrees with air temp of 28 or so but a nasty north wind. No snow angels this year but lots of snow heading my way today & tomorrow. I "ran" through the woods and frozen pastures around my house. Slow going on rutted frozen trails. Beautiful views though and I always prefer being outside to in. It is just hard to get moving sometimes when the fire is toasty. I have loose plans for the year. Half Mary in early May and likely an Oly in late August. Maybe a sprint in July. I have not done a Tri since 2011 and have had knee issues. I will see how things go. All the swim chatter has gotten me psyched to get in the pool. I will probably join the local Y again so I can swim. I breaststroke too much and it really bothers my knee so I will follow Scott's wonderful advice on learning freestyle proficiently over the winter and then work on endurance. I did teach myself to breath on both sides which helps when I hit the bay to swim come summer. Happy New Year to all! Time to finish those holiday treats before our contest begins.

Heck, I am even in denial about the hair color! I am a solid back of packer and have no hope, or intention, of being anything else. The best I can ever get to the pool is once per week, running is easier and biking is pretty solidly on the trainer due to crappy roads and tourists here. So... I adore reading all the training tips and try to remember 1/100 th of them, but I am here, along for the ride, drafting on everyones experiences

That being said, I do have my races planed out for the year. 2 olys and one sprint and some running races. Hopefully my tootsie will be healed to start running soon! The pool attempt last Friday was pretty darn painful.

Here is a pretty silly question, My pool has no clock, I have no Garmin and don't have the money for one right now. What is the best way to time my laps without a huge investment of money?

2014-01-02 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Scott - wow - what a great swimming post!! Looks like Michigan State came through for you - Go Blue - ooops, I mean congrats ;-)

Kathy - Naragansett Bay is a lovely area (not so much in winter for training I guess). Our daughter is going to school in Providence so we've been exploring the area some the last few years. Love the bike path that goes all along the water up there. Did some running on it when we stayed in Warren on our last visit. I'd be out on that every day in the summer if I lived up there (though I bet it gets super crowded). I feel your pain on the breaststroke, which was my specialty in high school. Had to give that up with my knee problems too... and that, along with doing the exercises that my PT recommended, seem to have kept the knee issue at bay.

I've been reading a really interesting book this week, "The Ominvore's Dilemma". Old news for most as it came out last decade, but talk about motivation on nutrition! Anyway, mulling how to make use of some of that info in my New Year's nutrition goals. I think, along with staying injury free, my top priority needs to be getting my weight down to racing weight which means losing 15-20 lbs. Thanks to the Black Dog contest, I managed to stop, and even reverse, the slippery slope in the Fall, despite not great training. So, goal for Jan and Feb is to get back into a good training regime and continue the nutrition focus. I'd really like to be back under 200 lb for the 10 miler race in March.

Have a great day everyone!
Stu

2014-01-02 8:00 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Polar Bears --- Congratulations on surviving a plunge!  They are fun!

North Easters --- Hope the snow doesn't pile to high!

Stu --- I am reading Cooked by Michael Pollan.  So far pretty interesting.  Just finished the intro and now on the Fire section.

Robin --- I use a simple Timex Ironman watch for everything.  Cheap.  Works great.  I use the timer if I am doing something like 5 x 100's on 2:00.  Or I just use the watch for rest intervals of whatever seconds or minutes.  For my swim yesterday, I just hit the split button after every 100.  I used a Garmin 110 for awhile but it was too distracting and I was always worried about a specific pace and then running became no fun.  I also found I was spending way too much time on the computer uploading or looking at data -- that became no fun either.  On my bike I have a simple cyclo-computer w/ cadence sensor.  

Scott --- Wow.  Thank you so much for your post, critique, and suggestions.  I have printed it out and also made a quick link so I can refer to it often.  My plan is to follow your recommendations as best I can.  So tomorrow will be a session devoted to improving my stroke technique.  Once again, thanks.  I'm inspired!

2014-01-02 8:15 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I can already see that it will be hard to keep up with all the posts!  I just remembered someone posted something about ChiRunning.

I can say this book changed how I run completely.  I'm not sure if I follow all the points but after adopting several suggestions my times really, really improved (10:00 minute miles to mid 8:00's when I am in the groove).  The biggest change was increasing my foot turnover.  I went from sort of a shuffle to really picking my feet up.  Now I run at a cadence of 180 bpm for most runs and go up to 185 for speed workouts.  I listen to PodRunner and MotionTraxx workouts for running.

2014-01-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Connecticut
Originally posted by hoffsquared

<p>I can already see that it will be hard to keep up with all the posts!  I just remembered someone posted something about ChiRunning.</p><p>I can say this book changed how I run completely.  I'm not sure if I follow all the points but after adopting several suggestions my times really, really improved (10:00 minute miles to mid 8:00's when I am in the groove).  The biggest change was increasing my foot turnover.  I went from sort of a shuffle to really picking my feet up.  Now I run at a cadence of 180 bpm for most runs and go up to 185 for speed workouts.  I listen to PodRunner and MotionTraxx workouts for running.</p><p> </p>

Melanie--Interested... What is PodRunner And MotionTraxx??

Also, For anyone-- How do I format a post or reply?????

Dave
2014-01-02 11:25 AM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Stu - So glad you mentioned Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. I've never gotten around to reading it, but I have great interest in the topic. I'm going to pick up a copy to read on my next flight in mid January.

You also mentioned having a child attending college in Rhode Island. My oldest son attended Bryant U. in North Smithfield. We loved visiting him during his time there. He's 25 now, so I miss the trips to visit that area, which is just under 2 hours from me. I'm making a mental note to return there for a day or two this summer.

Melanie - Regarding the Timex Ironman watch, is the dial easy to read? As a guy who has finally accepted that life requires reading glasses, I now pick my wrist wear based on my ability to read the dial.

Dave
2014-01-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4922270

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Robin: I second the idea of a big faced cheap waterproof watch. You only need a stopwatch so it shouldn't be pricey. Men's might be easier to read since the dial is bigger as long as it fits your wrist.

Stu: what college is your daughter attending? My husband teaches at PC. I love the bike path but it is very crowded in summer. I tend to use it more for running than biking. I live in Barrington/Warren so I cross it multiple times a day.

Melanie: I liked Chi running as well. If anyone is interested I can post a list of songs with the bpms. I keep up with the beat and it really helped my speed/foot turnover. I create playlists that vary the bpm so I can do intervals of the faster foot speed and then recover. Of course that assumes some sense of rhythm LOL

I like Michael Pollen's work. Our seed catalogs are coming in and it is exciting to plan for healthy foods we can grow ourselves. Nothing more local than that! Daughter wants chickens in the spring too. I started Cooked but never finished. Maybe I will pull it out since it looks like I will be snowed in soon.

I did join the Y on my way to my usual gym today though!! Now to get to the pool....
2014-01-02 12:57 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I found this swim set on a link from USAT yesterday.  Tried it today and liked it--the other one they had posted was 3400 yards which at my pathetically slow swim would take close to 90 minutes….

w/u 300

m/s 4x50K desc

100 recovery

4x50 pull w/ paddles  desc

100 recovery

4x50 pull buoy NO paddles

100 recovery

4x50 spring   RI 0:10

100 recovery

200 build by 50

100 backstroke KICK

c/d 200

if you are short for time the link said to omit the last 500 yards.   It was good to deconstruct the components of the stroke and put it all together.

2014-01-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-02 3:50 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Steve,

I have a question.  I think, actually I am pretty sure, I know the answer but thought I would ask just to be sure.

For each of the next several weeks, I am going to have one day each week that is likely going to be the "day from hell," meaning it is a pretty full day.  It happens to fall on a medium bike day.  I can either get on the bike before sun-up, or after sun-down or I can split the ride up and do it in segments over the course of the day.

So my question - All other things being equal (HR, RPE, etc.) Is a 90 minute ride the same as 2 x 45 minute rides or 3 x 30 minute rides?

Scott--I don't know for sure. What I've always read is your body doesn't know 1 X 90 mins from 2 X 45. And if that make your schedule more bearable, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use that option. The most important thing is to get in the training...which will include the side benefit of calorie burn to keep you on the path to hitting your race weight. That said, I tend to really value the last 15 minutes of longer training sessions. It's the kind of training you can only get when you're tired because you're not just teaching the body to go for 90 full minutes, but you're also learning to endure mentally while fatigued. When I'm at mile 9 of a 10 mile training run, I keep telling myself that I had to run 9 miles to get to the point of having an opportunity to truly train for this last mile. Since I don't think the issues with fatigue and breakdown of form (swimming) are the same in running/cycling that's not an issue. So in the end, my advice is do what works best for you to get in training without sacrificing the overall workout minutes. Good luck. Steve

Hey Steve -

Well now I am completely unsure.  In addition to you, I also posed the same question to a USAT Level l coach and a USA Cycling Level ll coach.

The USAT coach said do the planned workout as planned.  He pointed out, as you did, that a big part of training is training the body to perform while fatigued.  He also pointed out that, by breaking up into 2 or 3 shorter segments, I would be dramatically reducing my actual zone 2/3 training because of the multiple warm-ups, cool-downs.  His recommendation is to "suck it up and ride in the dark or get on the trainer."

The cycling coach on the other hand, said if it is only two or three times spread over a number of weeks, he would rather see me break it up and get the total time in then risk blowing it off entirely.  He acknowledged that it would be better to do the full time in the saddle as planned, however "life sometimes gets in the way."

So the cycling coach said it's OK to break the ride up, the USAT coach says do the full ride, and you said it's probably OK to break the ride up but leaned towards doing the full ride.

I really dislike riding on the trainer and haven't even gotten it out since we moved back to California, but I dislike riding in the dark even more soooooo . . . guess I set up the trainer, crank up a Sufferfest video, and stop whining.

2014-01-02 4:28 PM

Champion
Bronze member

I really dislike riding on the trainer and haven't even gotten it out since we moved back to California, but I dislike riding in the dark even more soooooo . . . guess I set up the trainer, crank up a Sufferfest video, and stop whining.

Sounds like you figured out your solution

2014-01-02 5:23 PM

Regular

Hey Steve,

Scott--I don't know for sure. What I've always read is your body doesn't know 1 X 90 mins from 2 X 45. And if that make your schedule more bearable, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use that option. The most important thing is to get in the training...which will include the side benefit of calorie burn to keep you on the path to hitting your race weight. That said, I tend to really value the last 15 minutes of longer training sessions. It's the kind of training you can only get when you're tired because you're not just teaching the body to go for 90 full minutes, but you're also learning to endure mentally while fatigued. When I'm at mile 9 of a 10 mile training run, I keep telling myself that I had to run 9 miles to get to the point of having an opportunity to truly train for this last mile. Since I don't think the issues with fatigue and breakdown of form (swimming) are the same in running/cycling that's not an issue. So in the end, my advice is do what works best for you to get in training without sacrificing the overall workout minutes. Good luck. Steve

Hey Steve -

Well now I am completely unsure.  In addition to you, I also posed the same question to a USAT Level l coach and a USA Cycling Level ll coach.

Scott--I'm more with the USAT Level one coach...I really do think there is a benefit that is unique to the tail end of a longer effort. The big BUT is it's only the 2nd of January. In my mind TOTAL training minutes accumulated are better than having to cut a workout off because you ran out of time in your schedule...and the planned 90 minute ride is cut down to a 65 minute ride when 2 X 45 minute workouts could have happened in your schedule.

For me, the indoor trainer can be death by boredom unless I've got a structured workout that keeps me focused on performance segments.

The ride I did yesterday went as follows:

20 minute warm up
20 minute cadence build. Start at 95 cadence and up the cadence by five every two minutes to 120 and then work back down the ladder. So, it looks like two minutes at 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 115, 110, 105, 100.
5 minute easy recovery
Repeat the cadence build above.
10 minute cool down

That worked out to about a 75 minute trainer ride, but the time just flew as I was really focused on maintaining an even cadence at each level while hitting the precise two minute intervals.

Good luck either way you go!

Steve
2014-01-02 5:27 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Regular
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by KOM

Here is a pretty silly question, My pool has no clock, I have no Garmin and don't have the money for one right now. What is the best way to time my laps without a huge investment of money?

Robin--ditto what others said. I use a basic Timex Ironman watch. I got one with a HR monitor because I like to use it sometimes in running as well, especially if I want to keep my HR down in longer runs...or intervals if I want to see peaks. But I think I paid about $70 and I've had it for three plus years. I just use the lap function and time all my pool/track splits...or add the HR if I want more detail.

Steve

2014-01-02 5:58 PM

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by trytritryguy 

Melanie--Interested... What is PodRunner And MotionTraxx?? Also, For anyone-- How do I format a post or reply????? Dave

PodRunner and Motion Traxx feature 30-60 minutes of music set at a certain BPM.  All instrumental/digital stuff with minimal voices.  It's all I listen to when I run.  Each mix has a bit of a different flavor.  Some are a steady kind of feeling while others are mellow (even at 180 bpm!) and then ramp up the emotion.  So mixes are intervals and some ramp up the BMP with time.  Both are also available in iTunes.  All PodRunner mixes are free.  Motion Traxx is a mix of free and paid.

I was worried that listening to music all the time and then not having music during a race would be an issue.  It's not been.

2014-01-02 6:02 PM

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Happy New Year

Kathy --- I'd be interested in your 180 bpm playlist!  Time for some new tunes!

Dave --- With respect to seeing the Timex Ironman watch...a men's is probably bigger so maybe it's not an issue.  I do have problems reading my watch when I swim with my prescription goggles but no issues with regular goggles.  Luckily, the pool I swim at most of the time has a big (really big) digital clock that I can use when I'm wearing the prescription goggles.

2014-01-02 6:43 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

For me, the indoor trainer can be death by boredom unless I've got a structured workout that keeps me focused on performance segments

Steve

Hence the Sufferfest video.  I put it on the big screen, crank up the stereo, turn the fan on high and it is pretty close to bearable.

2014-01-03 7:13 AM

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Kathy - seems like your area does a pretty good job with supporting local food (as do we in Charlottesville). It's a challenge to overcome the subsidized corn / oil machine, but there seem to be more alternatives all the time. I've really enjoyed Pollan's book so far (just up to his time on the local farm, which, as it turns out is just a county over from us). His writing style pulls you in nicely and then he drops in a killer statistic from time to time (like 10:1 energy use to create food energy or average food travels 1300 miles to reach your table, etc.). Good frame of reference for when re-thinking my nutrition choices this year. Melanie - let us know what you think about Cooked. Anyway Kathy, our daughter goes to Brown and she's also been volunteering at Urban Greens food co-op which is trying to bring more fresh produce to some areas in Providence that aren't particularly well served by grocery stores. So this (local food) is an area she's actively exploring.

So, do we have two Daves from Connecticut in here? I grew up in Hartford and we lived in Danbury for a couple of years right after we were married... anywhere near either of you? Well, near is a matter of perspective. I guess in CT, almost everyplace is within an hour or so of Hartford or Danbury. It's been fun to be back up in New England visiting our daughter from time to time. It's a neat part of the country.

Scott, one follow-up question on your swimming post (thanks again). I find, for me personally anyway, that my stroke breaks down primarily because of lack of swim fitness and that I have to go through a period of "just dealing with it" on the getting back swim fitness before my stroke is solid for distance. Is this a bit of chicken and egg? I'll also throw in that I found doing the postal challenge once a month (a hard distance swim) was a great workout (both physically and mentally) and that I swam much better the week following that workout. But you'd be totally correct that I probably didn't do enough sprint work generally. Regardless, swim is definitely more technique driven than the other disciplines, so getting that right first totally makes sense. Not sure if you can do that well without a coach.

Hoping my daughter gets up soon so we can go on a bike ride together. She seems to have caught the triathlon bug, so perhaps those of you in New England will see her in a sprint - tri near you someday.

Stu

2014-01-03 9:59 AM

Connecticut
Stu- Hi there, Yes it looks like we have 2 Daves from CT. I reside in Branford (born and raised), just outside of New Haven. As you noted I am about an hr away from both Htfd/Danbury. Then again, your right that with the size of the state, I can get almost almost anywhere in the state in an hr.

Dave-where abouts in CT are you? I bet your within an hour away

Getting ready to go outside and brave the elements. We got hit with a storm last night and have to go dig out from the snow. Not looking forward to the temperatures that are reported to be about 0 and down to -20 with the wind chill.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

2014-01-03 10:13 AM

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by juneapple

So, do we have two Daves from Connecticut in here? I grew up in Hartford and we lived in Danbury for a couple of years right after we were married... anywhere near either of you? Well, near is a matter of perspective. I guess in CT, almost everyplace is within an hour or so of Hartford or Danbury. It's been fun to be back up in New England visiting our daughter from time to time. It's a neat part of the country.

Stu

To the "Other Dave", we've been found out!

Stu - Yep, there are two of us. It's pretty easy to tell us apart, because the "Other Dave" is a proven triathlete.

I'm a lifelong Nutmegger and currently live in Farmington, a mere 20 minutes west of Hartford.

Dave Proulx, a.k.a. DJP_19

2014-01-03 10:49 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

Champion
Bronze member

Speaking of two Daves. Has anyone made a list of who is in this group? It would be helpful for some of us with tired brains.

2014-01-03 11:40 AM

Connecticut
Hey Dave! (DJP_19)

I have to apologize. I forgot we had already posted back in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. Glad we joined the same group. I really look forward to this, I believe we have a GREAT group of participants.

Look forward too sharing ideas/ and learning from all the experiences of the group.

Enjoy the Snow Day!!!!

Dave
2014-01-03 12:09 PM

Connecticut
Hey Dave! (DJP_19)

I have to apologize. I forgot we had already posted back in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. Glad we joined the same group. I really look forward to this, I believe we have a GREAT group of participants.

Look forward too sharing ideas/ and learning from all the experiences of the group.

Enjoy the Snow Day!!!!

Dave
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18764 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.