BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-01-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Nice job getting your mojo back, all!!! Thanks, Tim for starting us up. Sounds like a lot of great workouts yesterday and some good eating as well. Keep it up!

I got plenty of mojo, my problem is STRESS! Have a serious deadline at work right now and am struggling to meet the deadline, keep my workouts, and not eat myself out of house and home (working from home yesterday and today) - I do a little better w/ eating at my office, but I'm not as efficient because of co-workers, students, etc. stopping by my office.

Today I'm munching on spicy beef jerky (a healthier brand). So question of the day - more to help me out (so selfish - sorry!):

What's your go-to healthy stress snack? You know you're stressed and you're gonna eat...how do you stay away from the sugary crap that your kids keep in the pantry?

2014-01-14 7:25 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Good morning, my mojo-less co-mentees!  what will YOU do TODAY to get moving and to avoid BAD FOODS!

I plan to run 3.5 miles easy tonight - it's in the mid-50s here so as long as it's not pouring I will do it outside, otherwise i am already packed up for the gym after work.  I am going to try to avoid TV completely tonight - that is when i tend to snack the most.  Last night I must have had a billion Lindor truffles while vegging on the couch.

2014-01-14 7:58 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

George - You are right about building the excitement back up!  Part of my problem is feeling a bit burned out from previous years.  I get bored easily when doing the same things over and over, so I'm DEFINITELY excited that my two main races are ones I have never done before.  Plus I will be doing a Spartan race with my son, and I can't let that young wipper snapper show me up!  My biggest friend is having a training plan, so I'll be okay once I get back in the habit. 

Kristen - I can relate to the office stress!  I work in Human Resources at an institution with 750 employees.  There's ALWAYS something going on to cause stress in-between meeting deadlines.  I find it hard to have energy for evening workouts because I feel too sluggish after a stressful day at work.  The more I get up and move around during the day, the better I feel at quitting time, so I try not to sit for long periods of time.

Stress snack?  At work, I destress with tea (usually homemade ginger tea).  My boss knows when I get overwhelmed or stressed, I have to have tea time!  At home it is alcohol, but I am trying to get away from that and drink tea instead.  For a snack I'd say..... fried pickles!  I dip pickles in eggs and rice flour, then fry them in coconut oil.  Satisfies cravings for crunchy/salty.  For something sweet, I put frozen berries in the blender with almond milk and Greek yogurt and a few drops of Stevia, then give it a twirl.  Comes out like a thick strawberry shake!

I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill last night before Body Pump class.  Body Pump has been kicking my butt and leaving me quite sore.  I didn't realize just how out of shape I've gotten!  I deluded myself into thinking my little sporadic home dumbbell routine was doing anything for my strength.

I missed my morning swim today, but still plan a core workout during lunch hour and spin class after work.

2014-01-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Nice to see everyone getting active on here! This works better for us all when we all participate and really help each other out. I have been part of groups in the past where only a couple of us would post and the group motivating effect really wains in a situation like that.

I got my 3mi run in yesterday and have been doing good with my food. I have dropped 4lbs in my first week and there is plenty more where that came from.

I agree with setting some goals. For me, I have to schedule races. That is what really gets me going. I've got a 10k run, bike race, and sprint tri all scheduled for the month of April so that is plenty to keep me going. I also am a big believer in working out with friends/others. I've been part of a bike club for years and scheduling rides knowing others will be there really makes you go on those days you really don't want to. I've now joined a run group as well. I just need that extra motivation. Just doing it "for myself" or to "lose a few pounds" is not enough for me.

Key is to find what really motivates you.

Who wants to commit to no bad foods today?!?
2014-01-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by chichitao Who wants to commit to no bad foods today?!?

Tim - I'm in for a no-bad-foods day.  I packed a TON of healthy snacks for work, so just need to behave once I get home...

2014-01-14 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by enders_shadow What's your go-to healthy stress snack? You know you're stressed and you're gonna eat...how do you stay away from the sugary crap that your kids keep in the pantry?

like Maria - I'll make a cup of tea or drink a whole bottle of water.  Sometimes both.  You aren't actually hungry so just find something to keep you distracted.  If I'm actually hungry, citrus is my go to.  I like to peel it, break apart the sections, it takes a while to eat and is just a little sweet.  The work involved is distracting for me.  And I love oranges

2014-01-14 9:00 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by enders_shadow What's your go-to healthy stress snack? You know you're stressed and you're gonna eat...how do you stay away from the sugary crap that your kids keep in the pantry?

like Maria - I'll make a cup of tea or drink a whole bottle of water.  Sometimes both.  You aren't actually hungry so just find something to keep you distracted.  If I'm actually hungry, citrus is my go to.  I like to peel it, break apart the sections, it takes a while to eat and is just a little sweet.  The work involved is distracting for me.  And I love oranges

This ^

Also, popcorn is an easy at home snack. I have an air popper so for less then 150 calories I get a large bowl to snack on and keeps me occupied while watching TV. Instead of butter, I spritz with an olive oil spray and then dash on some random spices...black pepper, chili powder, rosemary, oregano, etc (not all at once). It's fun trying out new combinations of spices.
2014-01-14 9:07 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by chichitao

This ^ Also, popcorn is an easy at home snack. I have an air popper so for less then 150 calories I get a large bowl to snack on and keeps me occupied while watching TV. Instead of butter, I spritz with an olive oil spray and then dash on some random spices...black pepper, chili powder, rosemary, oregano, etc (not all at once). It's fun trying out new combinations of spices.

I LOVE popcorn so this option is very timely.  I woke up about 2 this morning absolutely starving.  Tried a glass of water but it didn't seem to help.  I grabbed a handful of yogurt raisins and went back to bed.  Trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can go meet my running group tonight.  I may only walk but at least I'm starting again!

2014-01-14 10:08 AM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Master
MidWest

I have committed to a friend and family to two races this fall.  One in October in Milwaukee where my son lives and one in Indianapolis where my sister lives.  I get to run races, visit family and save on lodging.  If I'm lucky I can take the train to Milwaukee and save on gas money too!  

I tis snowing HUGE snowflakes right now and I'm thinking about whether it is safe to run with the ice that came first.  I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon for my finger(surgery is probably on the agenda again).  I am going out with my running friends for a "run"tonight.  

I need to replace the battery in my scale so that I can get my weight under control.  I can do it through clothing fit but I am also number obsessed with my weight.  

Today my horse has arrived and I am climbing back on!

Horse

2014-01-14 10:25 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

How do I import a training plan? I am using one from Training Peaks and want to import it into my calendar.  HELP!!!!!

2014-01-14 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by BAMBAM66

How do I import a training plan? I am using one from Training Peaks and want to import it into my calendar.  HELP!!!!!

Top right, click on Hello, BAMBAM66 > Settings > Training Log Settings > My Training Plans+Import

File must be in .CSV format

2014-01-14 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So far so good on the food today:

B - homemade veggie frittata and peaches
S - Cottage cheese
L - Chicken gumbo, carrots, cherry tomatoes
S - apple and/or lara bar (planned)
D - strip steak and veggies (planned)

I WILL RIDE MY BIKE TODAY!!!
2014-01-14 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by chichitao  I WILL RIDE MY BIKE TODAY!!!

Me too!  Except for me it will be spin class that starts at 5:30 p.m..  I put my Tri shorts on under my skirt to save time changing clothes and also as a reminder, "NO BACKING OUT!"

I already did a core workout during my lunch hour.

Edited by Maria527 2014-01-14 2:50 PM
2014-01-14 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
My "Go-to healthy stress snack?" I used to resort to pop (Pepsi or Dr. Pepper) when I was stressed but now I still have an occasional pop but mainly I turn to Club Soda. It might sound gross to some but it completely satisfies my stress need. I've also used popcorn in the past as well but I find I need some salt and some butter in limited amounts for flavour.

I had a bit of a bad day today. I had a good breakfast (oatmeal) but an hour later I was out for a walk and found myself ravenous so I had an A&W Bacon n Egger plus an Apple juice. I figured I wouldn't need lunch but I was hungry again by then so I had a fairly light lunch and then my cycling class at 4:30 (with a really intense 20min TT). My dinner was pretty good pasta with tomatoes and parmesan plus a glass of chocolate milk for recovery after the cycling. I figure I broke the 80/20 rule by having 40% of my calories from a bad meal today.

Tomorrow I swim and run (I hope) and I'll get back on track with the food as well. Planning salmon patties for dinner - looking forward to them.
2014-01-14 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Did my short planned run today.  Tomorrow is bike/strength.

Todays eating was ok, not great. We need to go grocery shopping !

B- 2 eggs, 12 grain toast
L- Leftover chicken, potatoes, carrots
D- 3 pieces French toast with syrup
S- Kashi bar

2014-01-15 7:18 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

GOOD MORNING!  Are we committing to a clean eating day - 100% just for today?  And working out - anything - just for today?

I plan to do a "tempo" workout after work on the treadmill.  It might just be an easy 35 minute jog, we'll see.  Regardless, it is happening.
As for food, I am well-equipped with healthy foods at work, more than I can eat today I'm sure.  I want to meet a girlfriend for sushi tonight.  Do we consider sushi clean?  I usually get a few pieces of sashimi - which is obviously clean - and I love a spicy yellowtail roll (which i guess contains mayo) and the bbq eel and avocado roll (which contains the bbq sauce).  Thoughts?

2014-01-15 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

GOOD MORNING!  Are we committing to a clean eating day - 100% just for today?  And working out - anything - just for today?

Yes!

B: White fish and sauteed cabbage
L: Spinach/kale w/ red vinegar and egg salad w/ avocado
D: Steak & broccoli
S: Bing cherries

I did core/burpess during lunch yesterday and spin class last night.  This morning, I ran 4.5 miles, and will do another spin class before body pump class tonight.

I can't help with the sushi question because I don't eat rice.  Since I eat mostly meat, veggies, and fat, I see nothing wrong with the mayo, however I would be opposed to the BBQ sauce because it will have some sort of sugar in it.  But everyone's definition of clean eating is different, so you'll have to determine that.  Enjoy your friend!

Edited by Maria527 2014-01-15 7:46 AM
2014-01-15 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

I plan to do a "tempo" workout after work on the treadmill.  It might just be an easy 35 minute jog, we'll see.  Regardless, it is happening.
As for food, I am well-equipped with healthy foods at work, more than I can eat today I'm sure.  I want to meet a girlfriend for sushi tonight.  Do we consider sushi clean?  I usually get a few pieces of sashimi - which is obviously clean - and I love a spicy yellowtail roll (which i guess contains mayo) and the bbq eel and avocado roll (which contains the bbq sauce).  Thoughts?

Yes to both.  Getting on the trainer for an hour bike and doing some strength work after.

Eating my breakfast oatmeal now, lunch salad is made and waiting in the fridge. Thinking fish for dinner.

As for your sushi plans - I would question the rice and the bbq sauce, maybe you can ask them to leave the sauce off?

2014-01-15 7:56 AM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Maria527

I can't help with the sushi question because I don't eat rice.  Since I eat mostly meat, veggies, and fat, I see nothing wrong with the mayo, however I would be opposed to the BBQ sauce because it will have some sort of sugar in it.  But everyone's definition of clean eating is different, so you'll have to determine that.  Enjoy your friend!

in general i agree that refined sugar isn't technically clean, but i kind of let small incidental amounts slide - i put about 1 t. of sugar in my coffee in the AM and don't really count that, for example.  but maybe i will just avoid the eel roll...but its SOOOOO GOOOOOOD.  hahahaha....

2014-01-15 7:59 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cathyd

Yes to both.  Getting on the trainer for an hour bike and doing some strength work after.

Eating my breakfast oatmeal now, lunch salad is made and waiting in the fridge. Thinking fish for dinner.

As for your sushi plans - I would question the rice and the bbq sauce, maybe you can ask them to leave the sauce off?

i don't consider rice to be unclean.  i understand if you are on a low carb or paleo diet, but why would rice not be considered clean?

2014-01-15 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Not to hijack, but I am going to need your help to stay on the path today.

For some reason I could not fall asleep for the life of me last night. Finally popped a benadryl at 2am and still didnt sleep great, and then up at 6am. So, when I am tired it makes it much harder for me to keep my will power, but I am going to give it my best. Plus today is my long work day with a group run workout tonight. I was good for breakfast, now if I can just keep that going.

On the sushi, I would consider it pretty clean. Maybe load up on the very clean stuff and then get 1 or 2 small pieces of the others as a treat. What about eating something before you go out, so you won't be so hungry and tempted to eat the "bad" stuff.

2014-01-15 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran

I had some rice last night which is pushing my definition of "clean eating". (I'm working on no (added) sugars/no grains with a preference for eliminating legumes, as well.)

I think I've got it planned ok for today.

B=coffee with cream, full fat greek yogurt with berries
L=chicken sausage and brocolli
D=carrot and butternut squash soup with sauteed peppers and roast beef thrown in
S=clemintine and cheese

Still heavy on the dairy, but is seems OK for now.

Exercise=run/walk outside at lunch. So wonderful for January. Good temps and no snow or ice to worry about.

Edited by rustymom 2014-01-15 10:40 AM
2014-01-15 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
I know that the question was not directed to me, but the reason that I don't consider rice to really be "clean" is that it is a grain.

I think each person should do what works for their body. We are all similar, but our bodies react differently to various foods and exercises.

Edited by rustymom 2014-01-15 1:31 PM
2014-01-15 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by cathyd

i don't consider rice to be unclean.  i understand if you are on a low carb or paleo diet, but why would rice not be considered clean?

I know that the question was nto directed at me, but the reason that I don't consider rice to really be "clean" is that it is a grain.  

I think each person should do what works for their body.  We are all similar, but our bodies react differently to various foods and exercises.
-----
~Andrea

My reason is different from Andrea's - I don't have a problem with grains at all, as long as they are not processed.  I follow (I use that term loosely) the principles outlined in 'The Eat Clean Diet' books, and Clean Eating Magazine/Oxygen Magazine.  This plan avoids processed foods, including processed white rice, flour and sugar.  The rice in your sushi may be unprocessed brown rice which would be fine, but the sticky rice I've used in sushi rolls was very white and definitely not clean, to me.  It was yummy though.  Of course we all have different ideas of what is 'clean' and a bit of white sticky rice is not nearly as bad as the bag of chips I ate last week.

2014-01-15 8:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

I also need to join the missing mojo group. I don't know what's been going wrong, but I'm tired, severally lacking in will power and to be honest with myself been eating rubbish for the last week or so.

Workouts have been, long ride Saturday, 30 min run Sunday and Monday, 45 min trainer ride Tuesday and I gave myself Wednesday off.

Will be looking for another trainer session tonight with hopefully a short run if I can find the motivation.

As far as food goes, the less said the better. The only real positive I've got for this week is I've made my won breakfasts so far, and avoided the bakery before work.

For healthy snacks (not what I've had this week, but when I'm good) I go for whatever fruit is fresh in store, yogurts and the 'diet' muesli bars (less than 100 Cal) And snacking is a problem for me, it's a habit that's hard wired into my head that I need to snack when I'm driving (which I do a lot for work) so maybe fixing the snacking problem, changing back to fruit, should be my next goal.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19912 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24546 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.