BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-01-08 1:41 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition OPEN

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by glfprncsAnne,I will be on Zwift as soon as I get my power meter, though, my focus is currently for a March 3rd marathon, so I won't be getting serious on the bike until after that.
Great!
I'm starting to train for a marathon too, so won't be on the bike much until after April.

Wait.... You are already training for a marathon in April?!  Who are you and what have you done with the real Darren?

2018-01-08 2:03 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Name: TJ

Other social media: Strava, FB, IG (some), Pinterest (strictly a consumer)

I am 50 years old and have been with my amazingly supportive husband for 30 of those years. We have two incredible sons 29 & 28, and a girlfriend and her 7 year old daughter. We have three dogs (lab mix, pit mix, kelpie mix) and a cat (very large calico), and foster for the local no kill shelter so we have a string of other pups pass through (currently a 4 month old dalmatian mix).

I turned 50 last year and had a very exciting year. I lived in Cali for six months for work. I was also training for my first IM and accomplished my first century in the process. 2017 also included running the MCM with my 28 year old son. I haven't done much since then

I'm still trying to find races for 2018 but it looks like DS2 (dear son #2) and I will be doing RnR Savannah if he is stateside in November. I'm looking at RnR Denver (HM) too.  I'd like to do some tri's but most of them here in NM suck. I might look at some in El Paso or head up to Denver for some that I haven't done yet. I don't often repeat races because there are so many to experience. I haven't ruled out re-igniting my foray in to ultra racing. I guess I'll just keep looking until something catches my interest.

2018-01-08 2:10 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, TJ!

So many races, so little time!

2018-01-08 2:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Originally posted by rrrunner

I am 50 years old and have been with my amazingly supportive husband for 30 of those years. We have two incredible sons 29 & 28, and a girlfriend and her 7 year old daughter. We have three dogs (lab mix, pit mix, kelpie mix) and a cat (very large calico), and foster for the local no kill shelter so we have a string of other pups pass through (currently a 4 month old dalmatian mix).

I turned 50 last year and had a very exciting year. I lived in Cali for six months for work. I was also training for my first IM and accomplished my first century in the process. 2017 also included running the MCM with my 28 year old son. I haven't done much since then

I'm still trying to find races for 2018 but it looks like DS2 (dear son #2) and I will be doing RnR Savannah if he is stateside in November. I'm looking at RnR Denver (HM) too.  I'd like to do some tri's but most of them here in NM suck. I might look at some in El Paso or head up to Denver for some that I haven't done yet. I don't often repeat races because there are so many to experience. I haven't ruled out re-igniting my foray in to ultra racing. I guess I'll just keep looking until something catches my interest.

Denver Denver Denver!!! Although in truth most tris here are at Boulder Res these days. There's an Xterra in Fort Collins and one in Grand Junction, plus a couple in Steamboat if you do decide to head up north. Of course, I'd love to see you and DH in the bargain. ?
2018-01-08 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 Hello world! Well hello to this new forum community. I have been on BT for a little over a year. I went onto Women for Tri on FB to get feedback on my training schedule. Here is what I am doing, with running my first marathon in late April and my second attempt at IM Muncie 70.3. On days where it has me running 3 days in a row, I am swapping one of those days for biking. I will do mainly OWS when weather permits with my local tri club, Hal Higdon Marathon Training program modified Week su m t w r f sat 1 rest 6 cross rest 3 3 3 2 rest 7 cross rest 3 3 3 3 rest 5 cross rest 3 4 3 4 rest 9 cross rest 3 4 3 5 rest 10 cross rest 3 5 3 6 rest 7 cross rest 3 5 3 7 rest 12 cross rest 3 6 3 8 rest rest half marathon rest 3 6 3 9 rest 10 cross rest 3 7 4 10 rest 15 cross rest 4 8 4 11 rest 16 cross rest 4 8 5 12 rest 12 cross rest 4 9 5 13 rest 18 cross rest 5 9 5 14 rest 14 cross rest 5 10 5 15 rest 20 cross rest 5 8 4 16 rest 12 cross rest 4 6 3 17 rest 8 cross rest 3 4 2 18 rest rest marathon What do you all think? I am open to suggestions. TIA

Hal Higdon has some good marathon training programs. At a quick glance this looks to be his novice plan, which is good for your 1st.   So, as far as training for the April marathon, following his program is a good thing. Further, only running 3 x a week is doable as training for a marathon, knowing which workout to drop could be important though! 

My real concern is your 70.3 training.  If all you are doing is 1 bike session a week you may not be ready for Muncie - which I think is about 2.5 months after your marathon. I don't remember what you wrote about your bike experience -just remember you had a tough swim at Muncie last year, so perhaps you are skilled enough to ramp up the bike in 2 months (assuming a 2 week taper) to get you through the bike.  I find in triathlon -especially the longer distances, the bike sets up the run, so if you trash yourself on the bike, you will have a very long run day!!   

ETA: A lot of us decide which race is our A race and then pick other races to complement it, eg, Janyne, Lisa and I are doing IM Chattanooga 9/30 and will do the Lake Logan HIM in early August as a tune up.  If Muncie is your A race you may want to consider a different marathon -perhaps one post HIM, so you can focus on the 70.3 training.

Just a thought, I don't want to be a nay sayer!! 

Edited by amd723 2018-01-08 2:36 PM
2018-01-08 2:36 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TXTriRook Anyone else down for the count with the flu? I caught something on Friday and spent the better part of the weekend popping Day/NyQuil, drinking EmergenC's and eating chicken soup. No fun but my fever's gone so now it's just getting all the congestion/mucus out. I was really looking forward to getting back in shape after a long Christmas/New Years break but guess it'll have to wait another week

I don't think what I have is the flu but I'm coming back out of the depths of being sick (again).  Coughing, congestion, feeling weary.  Hope you feel better soon!

2018-01-08 2:37 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Denver Denver Denver!!! Although in truth most tris here are at Boulder Res these days. There's an Xterra in Fort Collins and one in Grand Junction, plus a couple in Steamboat if you do decide to head up north. Of course, I'd love to see you and DH in the bargain. ?

I haven't raced at Boulder but the day you and Mel had at the res doesn't instill confidence that I want to :0  I've done the one in Grand Junction. Fort Collins might be fun.  I'll have to look at the bike course. There is a Du in Moab in March but the bike course made me nervous so I couldn't commit. Are you looking at any of the "biggies"? Bolder Boulder? RnR? Colfax?

2018-01-08 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by TXTriRook Anyone else down for the count with the flu? I caught something on Friday and spent the better part of the weekend popping Day/NyQuil, drinking EmergenC's and eating chicken soup. No fun but my fever's gone so now it's just getting all the congestion/mucus out. I was really looking forward to getting back in shape after a long Christmas/New Years break but guess it'll have to wait another week

I don't think what I have is the flu but I'm coming back out of the depths of being sick (again).  Coughing, congestion, feeling weary.  Hope you feel better soon!

DH and I caught a cold last week (from the 7 year old). We started taking some natural remedy stuff from Sprouts at the first signs and we both are mostly past in in less than a week without a truly "bad" day.

ETA: or it may have been my newly discovered Crown/pomegranate juice "elixir"

Edited by rrrunner 2018-01-08 3:44 PM
2018-01-08 2:53 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I haven't raced at Boulder but the day you and Mel had at the res doesn't instill confidence that I want to :0  I've done the one in Grand Junction. Fort Collins might be fun.  I'll have to look at the bike course. There is a Du in Moab in March but the bike course made me nervous so I couldn't commit. Are you looking at any of the "biggies"? Bolder Boulder? RnR? Colfax?

OMG, that race Mel and I did was horrendous. Even the race organizers called it the "Hurricane Moon." The wind was definitely out of the ordinary, although the heat wasn't. For those who don't know, Harvest Moon is a 70.3 with a du and aquabike option. I did the du, Melanie did the aquabike. We had 25 mph sustained winds with gusts over 40 mph. The water had white caps. Temps got up to almost 90°F. It was brutal. Even veteran racers said that was one of the hardest they'd done. Poor Mel. I told her the previous day that the wind didn't usually come up until the afternoon. Boy was I wrong!! The tail wind was fun though. I got up to 46 mph at one point. :DI don't do well with big races (too much noise and visual stimulation) so I probably won't. I might consider doing the Colfax relay with Team RWB depending on how the foot recovery goes.ETA: There are several sprints at Union Res too. I think you did Oktoberfest there with me?

Edited by laffinrock 2018-01-08 2:58 PM
2018-01-08 3:13 PM

User image

DH and I caught a cold last week (from the 7 year old). We started taking some natural remedy stuff from Sprouts at the first signs and we both are mostly past in in less than a week without a truly "bad" day.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! The hardest part of being sick for me is trying to relax and not workout. I'm not very good at taking it easy or relaxing.
2018-01-08 4:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

ETA: or it may have been my newly discovered Crown/pomegranate juice "elixir"

Crown/pomegranate would kill anything!

2018-01-08 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So far so good as far as health goes--up to an hour of running without anything hurting and haven't gotten sick yet. I had a really nasty bout of flu/ bronchitis last year, and had a flu shot this fall, so hope that affords some kind of protection....Hope being the operative word here.

Thinking about signing up for Ironman Malaysia (in November). It's an easy trip from here and, I think, has zero chance of being cold. A cold 70.3 is bad enough; the thought of being cold for 11+ hours is just too much. (I am used to heat.) Plus I probably have a friend who's doing it. But I want to talk with my friend a bit more about it--weird but true, the description of the bike course includes a "Monkey Zone" where you're not allowed to take food out. Ummm.... Not sure about a race where I should probably get a rabies shot beforehand! Probably want to look into some liquid nutrition??

Yanti, have you done this one, or any other races with "Monkey Zones"?
2018-01-08 10:39 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, CO
Originally posted by Hot RunnerYanti, have you done this one, or any other races with "Monkey Zones"?
I recall one of the Manatees did a race with a monkey zone a few years back. Could have been Yanti. I mostly remember reading the very detailed monkey zone rules here and the very lively discussion that ensued (go figure).
2018-01-08 11:59 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Hot RunnerYanti, have you done this one, or any other races with "Monkey Zones"?
I recall one of the Manatees did a race with a monkey zone a few years back. Could have been Yanti. I mostly remember reading the very detailed monkey zone rules here and the very lively discussion that ensued (go figure).
Yep. Definitely Yanti

Edited by Richardsdrr 2018-01-09 12:00 AM
2018-01-09 5:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by AuD14 I'll definitely have to look into the run/walk method. Yay clydesdales! Was hoping there'd be another one or few in the group!

Can any of you who have used run/walk a lot address Caleb's question? I have used run/walk when recovering from injury but not as a race strategy. Well, that's not entirely true since in longer tris I do walk the aid stations so it's basically a 1 mile run, walk the aid station, repeat.

Anyway, any run/walk tips and tricks? Resources?

ETA: I guess that Galloway would be a good starting point, especially if there is a group in your area.

jeffgalloway.com has training plans ranging from those just getting started all the way up to a marathon. The site also gives guidance on the ideal run/walk ratio based on your run pace. I've been gradually building endurance without feeling much impact on my knees, ankles & feet.
2018-01-09 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yep. Definitely Yanti

Let's be honest with ourselves here. If there is a race with a monkey zone, one of us has probably done it.

That person is probably Yanti. 

2018-01-09 7:08 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yikes! We have quite a list of folks on the DL! Get better, sickies!

Disabled List:
Melanie - under the weather
Lisa - under the weather
Anne - shoulder
Ann-Marie - under the weather
Justin - flu

2018-01-09 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Disabled List:
Lisa - under the weather
Anne - shoulder
Justin - flu

im sure I’ll have this colad licked by the end of the day

2018-01-09 7:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Disabled List:
Lisa - under the weather
Anne - shoulder
Justin - flu

She typed as she ordered Crown/pomegranate juice from Amazon Prime Now.

2018-01-09 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yep. Definitely Yanti

Yep, it was Yanti.

2018-01-09 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Disabled List:
Lisa - under the weather
Anne - shoulder
Justin - flu

She typed as she ordered Crown/pomegranate juice from Amazon Prime Now.

Crown/pomegranate juice, yummmm

2018-01-09 9:11 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Disabled List:
Lisa - under the weather
Anne - shoulder
Justin - flu

I hope this message board isn't contagious!! I've managed to stay away from the whatever sludge that has taken down about a third of my office ....

2018-01-09 9:22 AM

User image

There is also a Sprint and Olympic in Loveland called Lake to Lake at the end of June. I'm looking at the Oly right now.
2018-01-09 9:37 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

OMG, that race Mel and I did was horrendous. Even the race organizers called it the "Hurricane Moon." The wind was definitely out of the ordinary, although the heat wasn't. For those who don't know, Harvest Moon is a 70.3 with a du and aquabike option. I did the du, Melanie did the aquabike. We had 25 mph sustained winds with gusts over 40 mph. The water had white caps. Temps got up to almost 90°F. It was brutal. Even veteran racers said that was one of the hardest they'd done. Poor Mel. I told her the previous day that the wind didn't usually come up until the afternoon. Boy was I wrong!! The tail wind was fun though. I got up to 46 mph at one point. :DI don't do well with big races (too much noise and visual stimulation) so I probably won't. I might consider doing the Colfax relay with Team RWB depending on how the foot recovery goes.ETA: There are several sprints at Union Res too. I think you did Oktoberfest there with me?

'Epic' (sorry, Chris, but it kinda was) day for sure!  If we would've had a Monkey Zone it would've definitely been epic without quotes!

2018-01-09 9:43 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Disabled List:
Lisa - under the weather
Anne - shoulder
Justin - flu

Feel better, folks!  I think I might finally be on the upswing.  I didn't feel like collapsing after walking the the stairs today - win!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14803 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 29545 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis