2013-09-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Jason N
Originally posted by axteraa

I finished 4th of 4 in my race today in a sprint finish.  It was a pretty straightforward race - basically we all rode together for 65k and duked it out in the end.  I really had no chance though as the other 3 were stronger and more experienced than me.  Brutal winds too.

AP 224w
NP 255w

65 km in 1:55 and change.  

The crazy part (to me) is that the guy that won did it on an AP of only 182w.  He's probably 5 inches shorter than me and 20-30 lbs lighter.  Still seems like a big difference to me.  Clearly much better at hiding from the wind! 

At your height, I'm assuming you must produce a really nice draft.  Assuming you guys were rotating in the same order for most of the 65k, the guy who was behind you probably saved an additional 5-15 watts compared to drafting someone who isn't 7 feet tall

Something you probably need to be aware of in future races.  If you're trying to beat someone specifically (maybe you know the other 2 guys will drop you eventually...or you will drop them eventually), you probably don't want that specific person you're marking behind you getting additional draft benefit. 

The strategies used in road racing are completely foreign to me, but have become somewhat intriguing in the recent past.  What do you do about making sure that specific person is not tagging along for a free ride? 

And for those of us who are small, how do you maximize your free ride and minimize the amount of time you are exposed?

2013-09-23 9:06 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I finished 4th of 4 in my race today in a sprint finish.  It was a pretty straightforward race - basically we all rode together for 65k and duked it out in the end.  I really had no chance though as the other 3 were stronger and more experienced than me.  Brutal winds too.

AP 224w
NP 255w

The crazy part (to me) is that the guy that won did it on an AP of only 182w.  He's probably 5 inches shorter than me and 20-30 lbs lighter.  Still seems like a big difference to me.  Clearly much better at hiding from the wind! 

At your height, I'm assuming you must produce a really nice draft.  Assuming you guys were rotating in the same order for most of the 65k, the guy who was behind you probably saved an additional 5-15 watts compared to drafting someone who isn't 7 feet tall

Something you probably need to be aware of in future races.  If you're trying to beat someone specifically (maybe you know the other 2 guys will drop you eventually...or you will drop them eventually), you probably don't want that specific person you're marking behind you getting additional draft benefit. 

The strategies used in road racing are completely foreign to me, but have become somewhat intriguing in the recent past.  What do you do about making sure that specific person is not tagging along for a free ride? 

And for those of us who are small, how do you maximize your free ride and minimize the amount of time you are exposed?

One thing I do on group rides during a competitive portion (so, I don't do this unless we're getting after each other rather than working together - which is usually agreed to beforehand, but sometimes crops up out of natural competition) that bugs the heck out of some of the other riders (in a good way) is stay SUPER aero when I'm pulling.  Down in the drops or flat-forearmed over the hoods and as small a body profile (low back) to wind as possible.

I had one bigger guy grousing that it was hard to stay with me as I left no draft for him (and that he was giving too much benefit to the rest of us by being a "diesel").  Laughing  Not sure the approach ports to a full on race, but it helped de-starch a few of the springier legs in the group before we got to the hills, and certainly gave us something to chat about after.  Wink

Probably just good form for most roadies would get them there, so this is likely just the way they normally ride (I'm too tri focused these days) - but I know it made a difference for me compared to a more upright position during my pulls.  On the rides where we're working together, of course, I ride in the position that lets me best hammer and pull others along (as do they). 

I'd also like to know, other than trying to drop someone on a break, how you avoid having a particular person behind you if you're working in a pace line.  Seems it'd be hard?

2013-09-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5
Originally posted by ligersandtions

AP 224w
NP 255w

One thing I do on group rides during a competitive portion (so, I don't do this unless we're getting after each other rather than working together - which is usually agreed to beforehand, but sometimes crops up out of natural competition) that bugs the heck out of some of the other riders (in a good way) is stay SUPER aero when I'm pulling.  Down in the drops or flat-forearmed over the hoods and as small a body profile (low back) to wind as possible.

I had one bigger guy grousing that it was hard to stay with me as I left no draft for him (and that he was giving too much benefit to the rest of us by being a "diesel").  Laughing  Not sure the approach ports to a full on race, but it helped de-starch a few of the springier legs in the group before we got to the hills, and certainly gave us something to chat about after.  Wink

Probably just good form for most roadies would get them there, so this is likely just the way they normally ride (I'm too tri focused these days) - but I know it made a difference for me compared to a more upright position during my pulls.  On the rides where we're working together, of course, I ride in the position that lets me best hammer and pull others along (as do they). 

I'd also like to know, other than trying to drop someone on a break, how you avoid having a particular person behind you if you're working in a pace line.  Seems it'd be hard?

Well, of the 4 of us yesterday there was one that I would certainly describe as a diesel.  He was about my size and could hammer out the watts when at the front.  I deliberately put myself behind him to get some sort of draft.  It would certainly be difficult to control who ends up behind you - especially in a small group.  If you were in a bigger group that was acting more like a peloton rather than a paceline I guess you could influence it to some degree?

2013-09-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

If you were already behind the person the optimal person, then yes, it would be difficult to control who goes behind you.  But other than that, you really just have to fight for the position you want.

I made one huge mistake in a team time trial once.  I was the weakest link on the team (we needed to finish 3 out of 4) and after the turn around I was being put in the red zone.  I was in the optimal position behind the tallest rider (around 6 feet) but I felt I needed to stay off the front for one rotation to catch my breath.  So I stayed in the back, but for some reason (I wasn't thinking), I moved back into position behind our smallest rider (he's about 5'3" and 110 pounds), but also the strongest rider.  Because it was almost right after the turnaround he decided to put the hammer down to pick the pace back up and it was pretty much game over for me.  I had to basically gut myself just to stay in his draft (that didn't exist) and once he pulled off the front, I pulled off immediately after and within 20 seconds they were out of sight.

That was a huge lesson for me in how important it is to pay attention to your position.  And if you are aware of someone who might be in the wrong position...that may be the time to jack up the pace and see if you can drop him. 

2013-09-23 11:53 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by spudone See the tri talk thread. It was a pretty effed up race. Will not be doing this course again, esp in September.

Mark - sorry to read how miserable this race was.  I can understand why the dnf rate was so high based on your description.

Mark, way to tough it out.

Crossing this race off my list 

2013-09-23 12:06 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Can I get advice on two questions?

1.  The new bike has 105.  I was originally going to swap out the DA front and rear derailleurs and the rival compact crank I have, and then sell the Planet X.   But this is going to cost probably $150-200, and the more I think about it, the more I am inclined just to sell the planet x with the DA derailleurs

As for the crank, my next race is Miami, so I am leaving the std crank on it, and will swap over the ultegra compact I have on my roadie for wildflower next year etc. 

I was originally hesitatnt to sell the DA, since i had it, why not keep it, blah blah, but the cost of swapping everythnig over is the same as a rear derailleur on ebay.  thoughts on doing this?

2.  Pricing - Planet X stealth is $1700 with Rival new.  What is a good price range with a PX with a mix of Rival and DA, two seasons old, stock wheels?  $1200?   I always have a hard time setting prices

2013-09-23 12:33 PM

User image

Chris...my thoughts.

1.  If the cost includes recabling your PX, along with new bar tape, then it may be worth it to pay for it...or maybe get a friend to help you do it for a little cheaper.  This way you get to keep your DA stuff and when you sell the PX you can advertise it as recabled, new tape, new derailleurs, and just tuned.  If the price only includes part swap, then that's a little steep and I would probably just do it myself.  It's really not that hard to remove and replace derailleurs.  The hardest part is lining up the FD properly to the chainrings...which isn't "that" hard.

2.  For pricing, I'd say $1200 is the high end.  Certainly not outrageous, but anticipate some low ball offers in the $800 range (I would guess $800 would sell quickly).  It just depends who is looking.  At that size, there may not be a lot available in the used market (or discounted brand new) so that may be to your advantage.  

2013-09-24 3:22 PM

Master
, California
Btw, for you guys on Strava, my LT course is up now, if you want to see the profile.
2013-09-24 4:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Northern IL
Race Report. They had tacos for post race food!
2013-09-25 4:45 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone Btw, for you guys on Strava, my LT course is up now, if you want to see the profile.

That's some serious climbing.  Almost double what they were advertising?

2013-09-25 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by spudone Btw, for you guys on Strava, my LT course is up now, if you want to see the profile.

Link?  (I don't know how to find you - sorry for the FNG request, but I would love to see that course!)

Matt

2013-09-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, they had said like 4,200 ft before. Noticed that they now have ~6,500 listed for next year. Chattannooga also went from 2,100 up to 3,400.

2013-09-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, they had said like 4,200 ft before. Noticed that they now have ~6,500 listed for next year. Chattannooga also went from 2,100 up to 3,400.

Same with Canada, advertised at 4200, reality was 6300-ish.  Although they have not changed the official elevation on the Canada page.

2013-09-25 12:39 PM

User image

Rode the TM02 on the trainer this morning, getting things dialed in, think I am going to be happy.

Also A-B'd the powertap with the computrainer for the first time, although not sure I did it right.   The PT readings were consistently 10 to even 40 W below the CT readings, but I was using the CT in erg mode so maybe it's not a fiar comparison?   Effort certainly felt more in line with what the CT was telling me, based on my outside rides with the PT.  

Also put on the Adamo Attack, barely rideable on my old frame, but pretty nice on the new one.  Geometry allows it to be moved further forward, allowing me to ride on the sweet spot.  Will also try out the sitero I have, but BMC's saddle attachment is a little goofy and need to buy a certain wrench to access the bolt.

2013-09-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1 Race Report. They had tacos for post race food!

By the way, the power to speed ratio for that bike course is decidedly abnormal!

2013-09-25 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ChrisM

Rode the TM02 on the trainer this morning, getting things dialed in, think I am going to be happy.

Also A-B'd the powertap with the computrainer for the first time, although not sure I did it right.   The PT readings were consistently 10 to even 40 W below the CT readings, but I was using the CT in erg mode so maybe it's not a fiar comparison?   Effort certainly felt more in line with what the CT was telling me, based on my outside rides with the PT.  

Also put on the Adamo Attack, barely rideable on my old frame, but pretty nice on the new one.  Geometry allows it to be moved further forward, allowing me to ride on the sweet spot.  Will also try out the sitero I have, but BMC's saddle attachment is a little goofy and need to buy a certain wrench to access the bolt.

It drives me nuts that manufactures seem unable (or don't care enough to) design a simple way to make small adjustments to saddles.  My P3 is decent but our two Cervelo road bikes and Tab's Slice are a royal pain in the backside to do.

2013-09-25 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Did you do the calibration process on the CT ?
2013-09-25 1:01 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Did you do the calibration process on the CT ?

The spin up to 25 mph?   yes.   Also calibrated the PT before the ride

2013-09-25 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The spin up to 25 mph?   yes.   Also calibrated the PT before the ride

hmmmm. bizarre. And you do it after warming up the tire for about 10-15min ?
When the roll down values stabilize them my PM and CT get pretty close.

2013-09-25 1:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM The spin up to 25 mph?   yes.   Also calibrated the PT before the ride
hmmmm. bizarre. And you do it after warming up the tire for about 10-15min ? When the roll down values stabilize them my PM and CT get pretty close.

Yes.  They were on occasion close, i.e. within 5W, but I was doing intervals at 290 and 300 on the CT this morning, and the PM was bottoming out at 250 and going only as high as 280 or so

2013-09-25 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ChrisM The spin up to 25 mph?   yes.   Also calibrated the PT before the ride
hmmmm. bizarre. And you do it after warming up the tire for about 10-15min ? When the roll down values stabilize them my PM and CT get pretty close.

Yes.  They were on occasion close, i.e. within 5W, but I was doing intervals at 290 and 300 on the CT this morning, and the PM was bottoming out at 250 and going only as high as 280 or so

I would have to find the email from the guy at Powertap. I ran into a similar issue once and it was apparetnly related to the autozeroing of the PT. It would autozero when I would stop to pedal but I was still applying some force on the pedals and the autocalibrate was off. They guy from PT said they saw this on occasion while riding on a trainer. I wish I could find his email.

2013-09-25 2:15 PM

User image

On a side note...I was able to tighten some of the bolts on my Quarq spider last week(some were much less than 10 nm).  First ride had a big swing in offset (about 120), but yesterday's ride only went from -393 to -410. 

2013-09-25 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

On a side note...I was able to tighten some of the bolts on my Quarq spider last week(some were much less than 10 nm).  First ride had a big swing in offset (about 120), but yesterday's ride only went from -393 to -410. 

I think I mentioned there is a "settling in period" of a few rides after you torque. Hence to reason to do it way before your race. Glad to hear things are stabilizing.

Does the power feel right ?
2013-09-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Here is the email from the Saris guy ...and yes, the PT was reading lower than the CT when this happened.

From Saris

That's certainly strange. The auto-zero shouldn't throw off the calibration like that. However, I've seen a few instances of where the auto-zero can be affect by the resistance unit on the trainer. I would test to see how the PT does with the auto-zero off on your next trainer ride. I still think it would be a good idea to ride with the auto-zero on when riding outdoors though. Let me know if you have any other issues.

Then I sent this

What happens if there is a slight amount of torque, even with the cadence at 0 ? Could this throw it off
In this case, cadence is coming from the PT.
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand so I can adjust my testing.

From Saris

That's the theoretical problem with the auto-zero on the trainer. Typically it doesn't happen, but I think that it's possible if the resistance unit is providing enough resistance. I've never had a problem with it, but again, I've seen it happen in the field a few times.

Edited by marcag 2013-09-25 2:37 PM
2013-09-25 2:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Can I use this ^^^ excuse next time I can't hit my power targets in a workout?  Tongue out
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.