BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by cdban66

TJ, you've reminded me that I have a question for my coffee loving friends.  I noticed that the coffee I am making in the Keurig at work tastes much smoother than the same grounds in the drip coffee maker. My suspicion is that water temp matters, as I have noticed the same thing in my French Press. Am I right on that, is it the water temperature that makes a difference? Or something that I am missing completely?

Abso-freekin-lutely.

Water temp, grind, water quality, brew time ... it all makes a world of difference. 

Which is why I find it hilarious when "coffee snobs" dismiss an entire brand (SBUX, Stumptown, Tullys, Dunkin etc.) Because as it turns out, there are a shyte ton of variables in not only every single brand/roast/profile etc. but likely in every single cup.

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-03-21 11:15 AM

2014-03-21 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed

TJ, you've reminded me that I have a question for my coffee loving friends.  I noticed that the coffee I am making in the Keurig at work tastes much smoother than the same grounds in the drip coffee maker. My suspicion is that water temp matters, as I have noticed the same thing in my French Press. Am I right on that, is it the water temperature that makes a difference? Or something that I am missing completely?

Abso-freekin-lutely.

Water temp, grind, water quality, brew time ... it all makes a world of difference. 

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to check with those that are more knowledgable than I. We had Temp, Time and water quality in our discussion here at work this morning. Grind was not in the discussion. I'm thinking freshness is something I should throw into the mix as well, but with the Folgers at work, I'm not sure I can control that very much.

ETA: I'm far from a snob, heck I've been drinking the stuff for 30 years now and I'm just figuring it out. But, I do notice subtle differences between places and such. 20 years from now I may have a clue.

Edited by cdban66 2014-03-21 11:20 AM
2014-03-21 11:23 AM

User image

Seattle

Abso-freekin-lutely.

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to check with those that are more knowledgable than I. We had Temp, Time and water quality in our discussion here at work this morning. Grind was not in the discussion. I'm thinking freshness is something I should throw into the mix as well, but with the Folgers at work, I'm not sure I can control that very much.

To some degree you can. And no, putting it in the freezer is not a good idea

I believe the suggested temp is between 195-200 (at least the SBUX standard

But I suggest experimenting with the different variables. Just FYI a french press needs a more coarse grind.

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-03-21 11:30 AM
2014-03-21 11:36 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Abso-freekin-lutely.

But I suggest experimenting with the different variables. Just FYI a french press needs a more coarse grind.

Mmmmmm! French press, freshly coarse ground, water just barely below a boil, steep for 4 minutes... perfection in a cup! We alternate between Sbux, stuff we get at the local co-op or Sprouts and going directly to the local roasters. Which reminds me I need to buy tickets to the SW Coffee and Chocolate festival this weekend!!!!!!!!

2014-03-21 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Abso-freekin-lutely.

No freezer, got it! How about the refrigerator? In a sealed plastic tub? That is where the work stuff is. 

2014-03-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Abso-freekin-lutely.

ETA: I'm far from a snob, heck I've been drinking the stuff for 30 years now and I'm just figuring it out. But, I do notice subtle differences between places and such. 20 years from now I may have a clue.

But a place more than likely has a very wide variety of roasts. And I'll bet you can find one you like at just about all of the places. (you also have to cross your fingers a barista is preparing the coffee properly because if not, you could have a totally wrong first impression)

Also, even within a specific blend & roast it's very difficult to have absolute consistency year over year because of the availability of the beans from the wide variety of farms, and all the variables that go into the growing/production. It's crazy-complex.

2014-03-21 11:41 AM

User image

Seattle

Abso-freekin-lutely.

No freezer, got it! How about the refrigerator? In a sealed plastic tub? That is where the work stuff is. 

No, not the fridge!

Airtight and not exposed to light and not too warm (like a pantry.) I think glass is the best so the beans don't absorb any flavor. And don't grind it until you use it. Coffee starts losing its freshness immediately, so it's best not to buy in too much bulk if you can help it. 

2014-03-21 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Abso-freekin-lutely.

No, not the fridge!

Airtight and not exposed to light and not too warm (like a pantry.) I think glass is the best so the beans don't absorb any flavor. And don't grind it until you use it. Coffee starts losing its freshness immediately, so it's best not to buy in too much bulk if you can help it. 

Not sure you'd want to take one to work but Williams Sonoma sells some great coffee bean containers that aren't crazystoopid expensive.

2014-03-21 11:54 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think the outcome of this discussion is to tolerate work coffee and be better with the household stuff. I think a grinder is next in my "needs" list.

And an aero Tri-bike 

2014-03-21 11:56 AM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, I'm just touching on best practices stuff.

Hellz, sometimes I crave a good ol cup of pre-blended gas station coffee with low qualify almond joy coffee creamer.

2014-03-21 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Abso-freekin-lutely.

That's the temp I've heard too.  I just bought a coffee maker that brews at those temps (and w/i 3 minutes for a full carafe) and I could definitely taste the difference with it v. my old maker.  I guess my next purchase is a grinder, since i already have a tri bike

2014-03-21 12:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by amd723

Abso-freekin-lutely.

That's the temp I've heard too.  I just bought a coffee maker that brews at those temps (and w/i 3 minutes for a full carafe) and I could definitely taste the difference with it v. my old maker.  I guess my next purchase is a grinder, since i already have a tri bike

I could tell you every recommended temperature for types of tea (coffee's not my thing)
2014-03-21 12:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle

Run-nerd side convo. Did you all see Goucher signed with Oiselle?!?!

This is huge. 

I listened to a pod cast with Sally Bergeson/Kate Grace/Fleshman a while back and was just totally inspired I think this is the one

I believe there is a dramatic shift happening in the running world.

2014-03-21 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This is huge. 

I listened to a pod cast with Sally Bergeson/Kate Grace/Fleshman a while back and was just totally inspired I think this is the one

I follow her on Twitter, so yes. But excuse my blank stare, what is Oiselle and why is this news? Please don't hate me, I'm just trying to understand.

2014-03-21 12:38 PM

User image

Seattle

This is huge. 

I follow her on Twitter, so yes. But excuse my blank stare, what is Oiselle and why is this news? Please don't hate me, I'm just trying to understand.

It's news because Kara turned down a large deal (rumored to be in 7 figures) from Nike to run for this small company, because she believes in the brand, the message and the cultivation of empowerment and a support system, family and depth vs marketing/winning/business

Oiselle is a very small women's owned running apparel company (located here in Seattle

If you read Kara and Sally's perspective, it creates a picture (and try and listen to the podcast I linked above)

Kara: http://www.karagoucher.com/why-oiselle/

Sally: http://www.oiselle.com/blog/kara-goucher-joins-oiselle

2014-03-21 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This is huge. 

It's news because Kara turned down a large deal (rumored to be in 7 figures) from Nike to run for this small company, because she believes in the brand, the message and the cultivation of empowerment and a support system, family and depth vs marketing/winning/business

Oiselle is a very small women's owned running apparel company (located here in Seattle

If you read Kara and Sally's perspective, it creates a picture (and try and listen to the podcast I linked above)

I saw it too. It's nice to see people putting something besides $ first.

2014-03-21 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

That is awesome, thanks a bunch. I follow her because I appreciate her outlokk and thought process. And her family values. Really like the Goucher family asa whole.

2014-03-21 1:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

This is huge. 

I saw it too. It's nice to see people putting something besides $ first.

Absolutely.

And additionally, it's even deeper. They (oiselle) are talking about fundamentally tackling change to the sport. There are currently huge issues and a corrupt system. Coverage is poor, events aren't well attended, and there is a ton of red tape around sponsorship at the highest level. The move that Rock 'n' Roll made, essentially questioning the value of elite runners within the sport altogether really illustrates there is a problem.

Having a high profile runner like Goucher will certainly be a catalyst for this change.

2014-03-21 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

March 22-23
Salty - 5K this weekend (or maybe one next weekend, we'll find out when we find out)
JJ TX - 67 mile local bike event (+33 miles for my first 100)
TJ - One Run For Boston on Monday

Disabled list:
Darren - shin splits and calf pain, general malaise
Monica - neck/back
Tom - lateral collateral ligament sprain in knee

2014-03-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

March 22-23
Salty - 5K this weekend (or maybe one next weekend, we'll find out when we find out)

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

Saweet! Go Manatees!

(I am not racing this weekend and am strongly considering not racing next weekend either and just really focusing on the marathon. TBD)

2014-03-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

March 22-23

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

GO JJ and TJ! Ride and run like the wind!!!!

2014-03-21 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!

March 22-23

Disabled list:
Monica - neck/back

Saweet! Go Manatees!

(I am not racing this weekend and am strongly considering not racing next weekend either and just really focusing on the marathon. TBD)

Woo Hoo!!!! Go racers and good thought process non-racer!!!!

Heal up folks, I think a couple of you have been diagnosed and have a treatment plan. That is a good step indeed.

2014-03-21 2:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

RIDE, JJ!!!

RUN, TJ!!!

Have fun, both of you!

2014-03-21 8:12 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I think the outcome of this discussion is to tolerate work coffee and be better with the household stuff. I think a grinder is next in my "needs" list.

And an aero Tri-bike 

I don't know, Chris. Grinders can get pretty pricey. You might have to save up for one

Seriously, if you want decent coffee at work, I'd bring in your french press (if it isn't there already) and some of your own coffee. I'm hardly a coffee snob, but I've never had Folgers be anything other than not-very-good. I'll drink it if I'm totally broke and absolutely desperate but otherwise I'll go to the coffee stand in the lobby of the building where I work. I'm not an all-day coffee drinker though, and I do have the luxury of the place downstairs.
2014-03-21 8:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO
Does anybody have any recommendations for an Android app that'll do intervals? All I have now are my DH's watch or an old dead watch with a broken strap. I have a couple other watches with dead batteries but I don't think they have interval timers on them and don't want to put batteries in them only to find out that they don't.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25112 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37460 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 17684 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.