BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-09-25 2:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Thanks Marc.  I'll try again Friday with auto zero turned off (is this a setting on the watch somewhere, I assume in the bike settings power screen?)

Speaking of which...  these pics are from the LBS' facebook page after the build.   Not my wheels.... 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-09-25 2:52 PM

2013-09-25 3:07 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N

On a side note...I was able to tighten some of the bolts on my Quarq spider last week(some were much less than 10 nm).  First ride had a big swing in offset (about 120), but yesterday's ride only went from -393 to -410. 

I think I mentioned there is a "settling in period" of a few rides after you torque. Hence to reason to do it way before your race. Glad to hear things are stabilizing. Does the power feel right ?

Yes...I remembered about the settling in period which is why I wasn't that concerned when the first ride afterwards was so off.  Power felt about right.  It's never been that bad IMO.  If I didn't have an offset number to compare to (like the PT doesn't), I'm not even sure I would have noticed anything.

2013-09-25 3:17 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks Marc.  I'll try again Friday with auto zero turned off (is this a setting on the watch somewhere, I assume in the bike settings power screen?)

Speaking of which...  these pics are from the LBS' facebook page after the build.   Not my wheels.... 

Suh-weeeeet looking ride!  Laughing

2013-09-25 3:26 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't think I can even turn the autozero off on my Edge 500 anymore.  I think they disabled it completely during one of the firmware updates and just made it autozero always, no choice.

Yeah, that's a nice looking ride!

2013-09-25 4:14 PM

User image

Chris, have you thought about getting a torhans aero bottle for your frame?  Looks like they fit great for the BMC frames.  I'm guessing it would improve aerodynamics even if it was an empty bottle (compared to no bottle), but I suppose we'd only know for sure if it was field tested or in tested in the tunnel.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4153474;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I believe Marc has a TM01...interested on what he would do if he hasn't tried it already.

2013-09-25 4:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Yes, I've seen them in the ST BMC thread and it looks interesting (or some other aero bottle setup). 

I suppose I would use one at all distances, although sprint/Oly it would be empty.   Problem is at the HIM/IM distance, I use the frame bottle as the replaceable water bottle, with infinit in the torpedo..... I would think a second frame cage would not fit and might negate any aero benefits.  Although I have been trying to figure out where to put a flat kit.

2013-09-25 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes, I've seen them in the ST BMC thread and it looks interesting (or some other aero bottle setup). 

I suppose I would use one at all distances, although sprint/Oly it would be empty.   Problem is at the HIM/IM distance, I use the frame bottle as the replaceable water bottle, with infinit in the torpedo..... I would think a second frame cage would not fit and might negate any aero benefits.  Although I have been trying to figure out where to put a flat kit.

I use the Torhans aero bottle to store my flat kit. I would not use it to drink.

I have one bottle on the back and one on the front. I either use a bottle between the bars or a Torhans 30 on the front depending on my mood
2013-09-25 6:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

I use the Torhans aero bottle to store my flat kit. I would not use it to drink. I have one bottle on the back and one on the front. I either use a bottle between the bars or a Torhans 30 on the front depending on my mood

That's probably what I would have suggested.  Never liked the thought/feel of drinking out of an aero bottle...especially one as big as the torhans.  Never actually tried it...just seems like it would feel awkward.  But makes for a good storage area and fairing.  Second bottle tucked in tight behind the seat.

2013-09-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

I don't think I can even turn the autozero off on my Edge 500 anymore.  I think they disabled it completely during one of the firmware updates and just made it autozero always, no choice.

Yeah, that's a nice looking ride!

NICE!!!  That is a really good looking bike.

2013-09-26 8:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by brigby1 Race Report. They had tacos for post race food!

That's some serious climbijng on that course too.  Nicely done Ben - hope the hip starts to feel better.

2013-09-26 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That's probably what I would have suggested.  Never liked the thought/feel of drinking out of an aero bottle...especially one as big as the torhans.  Never actually tried it...just seems like it would feel awkward.  But makes for a good storage area and fairing.  Second bottle tucked in tight behind the seat.

The Torhans 30 on the front, actually tested faster than a between the arms bottle.

2013-09-26 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Do you have a specific protocol that you follow for testing Marc?
2013-09-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have tested myself but the difference is soooooo small you would never see it with all the noise associated with self testing. Drop you head 1/2 inch between two tests and you would lose the difference.

However, I have spoken to one guy that runs a WindTunnel and he confirmed what the CTO from Torhans told me, that the 30 tests faster for most people. But we are talking about very very small differences. Which is why I use one or the other depending on mood and course.

I also tested in a tunnel

If I am doing a hilly ride, I use between the arms because I typically sit up during a climb and drink from the bottle. On a flat course I would use the Torhans just because it's a bit easier to drink. Just drop head and sip.

I would not run out and buy one if I had the other. You may gain 1/2 watt..

One reason I went to between the arms is I thought it was easier from a bottle swap perspective. But the bottles they have been giving us at WTC races don't fit the cage properly. I only take water at the stations and the bottles are slightly smaller than a standard bottle.

Edited by marcag 2013-09-26 10:21 AM
2013-09-26 11:35 AM

User image

Yeah, I prefer the flexibility of the BTA bottle, I can either use the speedfil or a bottle for exchanges, etc.  Torhans you're sort of married to that one bottle.   And buying a new bike is like changing the carpet, which requires a change in drapes, a new paint job, then new furniture, etc.

This bike is already getting more and more expensive with the special tools I need to buy to work on it (the little work I know how to do....)

2013-09-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by brigby1 Race Report. They had tacos for post race food!

That's some serious climbijng on that course too.  Nicely done Ben - hope the hip starts to feel better.

Thanks Neil. Being able to handle the course went pretty well with the training put in.

2013-09-26 6:06 PM

User image

Thanks for the report, wish there was a Rev3 event near me, love to try it

2013-09-26 6:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-26 6:39 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by TSimone

Originally posted by ChrisM Thanks for the report, wish there was a Rev3 event near me, love to try it

Not sure how far you'd go for a 70.3, but Rev3 Portland is supposedly coming back in 2014.

I'm not entirely sure on that just yet. That road project or whatever is going on may be taking longer. Love to see it and for them keep expanding though.

2013-09-26 6:47 PM

Regular
LHOTP
Super sexxeh ride!  Wooo-eee!
2013-09-26 11:52 PM

Had my last long run today which was tough at the end.  Probably because I've run 5 straight days including 2 long runs so the running legs were a little worn down.  One last long ride tomorrow and it's taper time.  Decided I'm just going to have fun with it and take the road bike out and just ride.  Maybe tackle some big climbs, or whatever I feel like doing.
2013-09-27 8:35 AM

Extreme Veteran

Had my last long run today which was tough at the end.  Probably because I've run 5 straight days including 2 long runs so the running legs were a little worn down.  One last long ride tomorrow and it's taper time.  Decided I'm just going to have fun with it and take the road bike out and just ride.  Maybe tackle some big climbs, or whatever I feel like doing.

My long runs are shorter than yours but I end up doing 25' of tempo in there and man they are brutal. Glad I got that out of the way this AM.
50' run then 25' tempo then 15' run. I cringe when I have to go out for these things but feel so good once done.

2013-09-27 8:02 PM

Really windy out today.  And I swear to god the wind shifted so I always had a head wind.  Ride started out well and I was just riding along and even explored some roads that I've never been on (on foot, car or bike).  After about 60 miles though I just got tired and I had no power.  Limped home the last 30 miles or so.  I think the big volume I've been doing the past 7 weeks has finally caught up to me...but I suppose just at the right time.  TAPER TIME!!!  Or more specifically...nap time.
2013-09-27 8:27 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Awesome Jason!  I can't wait for race day.
2013-09-27 9:26 PM

Master
Northern IL
Sounds like the wind is using you to get some training in as well!
2013-09-28 12:28 AM

Originally posted by brigby1 Sounds like the wind is using you to get some training in as well!

Yeah...I'm hoping the wind is overdoing it's training now and will be completely flat on race day! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.