BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-10 3:19 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Rant alert and request for perspective.

I still don't have a training calendar from the running club coach, despite repeated promises of "tomorrow" or "in a couple of days."  I initially contacted him on 9/22, so it's been almost 3 weeks since I first contacted him.  I've been doing workouts with the group for 2 weeks now.  We meet 2x/week and the majority of the group is tapering for a HM next weekend.  To this point, I haven't paid any money because they're working on getting a month-to-month payment plan set up and have asked me to just keep track of the months myself.  I haven't gotten much coaching either; when we do hill sprints on Wednesdays, I'm told "don't go all out" and for group runs, I'm just supposed to "pick my pace, whatever I feel like." 

At what point do I say enough's enough and go somewhere else?  Or is this par for the course and I'm setting my expectations too high for a training club run by a LRS?

That is completely the opposite experience I have with my group.  At the start of the session we get plans targeted for all the races the group plans on doing, eg, Chicago, NYC, some Florida races and other targeted races.  Then every Monday we get an email with that week's workouts.  For example, Tuesdays are speed days, so we get that workout, Thursdays are hills or tempo etc workouts and Saturdays are the long run.  There are pace charts available for the Tuesday workouts, so you know what you should be running.  Saturday runs are done with your assigned pace group. There are lots of other things that go along with being a part of this group too.  I know this group is pretty special, so I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same experience; but you should get way more than you are!!   

2014-10-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Speaking of health problems, here's a case of good fate.  As you may remember, my FIL isn't in the best of health.  On Wed. my MIL took him to his heart doctor for a checkup.  She passed out in the waiting room and apparently had a mild heart attack and needed to be hospitalized.  Talk about right place right time! Although it wasn't a good thing to have happen, at least it happened at the best possible place.

Wow!  Great timing!!

2014-10-10 3:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Zee r-r-race r-r-report for zee Oktoberfest 5K eez now r-r-ready for your viewingk pleashure!

Pardon my attempt to type in a Sargeant Schultz accent

2014-10-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Speaking of health problems, here's a case of good fate.  As you may remember, my FIL isn't in the best of health.  On Wed. my MIL took him to his heart doctor for a checkup.  She passed out in the waiting room and apparently had a mild heart attack and needed to be hospitalized.  Talk about right place right time! Although it wasn't a good thing to have happen, at least it happened at the best possible place.

Oh wow.  She was definitely in the right place if there ever was one!  Hoping for a speedy recovery and that there's other family around to help so you're not saddled with yet more care-taking.  (((Hugs!!))

2014-10-10 4:23 PM

User image

Master

Oh wow.  She was definitely in the right place if there ever was one!  Hoping for a speedy recovery and that there's other family around to help so you're not saddled with yet more care-taking.  (((Hugs!!))

^^^what she said!  Yikes, scary stuff but glad it was taken care of right away.

2014-10-10 4:34 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Long ride is a go for tomorrow! Plan B worked out. Yay!

Permanent crowns were finally put in this morning. More yay!

Beautiful fall weather is upon the SW desert. Super duper yay!

(20141009_104327.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20141009_104327.jpg (52KB - 3 downloads)

2014-10-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5032558

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Erin, when you mentioned crowns my first thought was QOM

Mary, hopefully you'll get more thoughts from others but my first reaction is that it sound a lot like my coached group with plans being given out weekly and not much individualized planning.
2014-10-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Long ride is a go for tomorrow! Plan B worked out. Yay!

Permanent crowns were finally put in this morning. More yay!

Beautiful fall weather is upon the SW desert. Super duper yay!

It's a yay trifecta!!    Love those kind of days.  Have fun on your ride tomorrow in the beautiful Fall weather and enjoy your new teefs!!  You might need to pick some mosquitoes out of them, though.  From what I've heard, the blood-suckers are pretty fierce in your parts lately due to all the rain.

2014-10-10 5:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

GO RANDEETEE!!!
GO JONATN!!!
GO WONDERMOOSE!!!

Disabled List
Oy Oy Oy. Healemuppenschnellen!

P.S. Luv 'n' stuff for the ailing Manatee bro and MIL too.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-10-10 5:08 PM
2014-10-10 5:11 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

October 11-12
Randee - Hartford Half Marathon on Saturday
Jonathan TN - Army 10 Miler Shadow Run
Jen - 5k on Saturday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 2)
Tom - right knee
Ann-Marie - Achilles tendinitis

All running this weekend? Well, guys, put on your speedy shoes and run like a West Nile mosquito or Africanized bee swarm is after you

(Yep, that's what's chasing people in AZ these days)

DL folks, keep working on fixing up those owies.

2014-10-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

And just checking in ...

Germany is truly the trip of a lifetime, and Mutti's done far, far, vastly better than any of us could have imagined. It's amazing. North Germany (we were prepared for the usual winterpocalypse October onset) is having the warmest autumn on record. We're wearing less clothing here than we sometimes do in Indonesia! Tina and I have also enjoyed ourselves and more or less behaved far far vastly better than any of us could have expected

That said, I don't care how much you love your mother (immensely) or how awesome your sister is (the best). If you spend 24/7 in the same room (or same small car) with them, mostly in the company of all your crazy relatives (how do you think I got this way?!) ... it's also gone far far vastly better than any of us could have thought simply because nobody's been shot and dumped in the Baltic Sea. Yet.

One or two of us may have had one or two thoughts about it, though.

2014-10-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner Erin, when you mentioned crowns my first thought was QOM Mary, hopefully you'll get more thoughts from others but my first reaction is that it sound a lot like my coached group with plans being given out weekly and not much individualized planning.

Ha! There will be no QOMs happening tomorrow. IMAZ people will be out in droves...on their tri bikes. I'm basically riding solo, but happy to go

2014-10-10 5:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

October 11-12
Randee - Hartford Half Marathon on Saturday
Jonathan TN - Army 10 Miler Shadow Run
Jen - 5k on Saturday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 2)
Tom - right knee
Ann-Marie - Achilles tendinitis

Good luck Randee, Jonathan and Jen

Tom what on earth is up with this knee of yours, you have been on the DL list for far too long
2014-10-10 5:39 PM

User image

Master

Seems our DL list is shrinking, but the family DL list is having issues.   Kirsten and Melanie, good thoughts being sent to your brother and mom-in-law.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-10-10 5:58 PM
2014-10-10 5:46 PM
in reply to: IronOx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

^^^what she said!  Yikes, scary stuff but glad it was taken care of right away.

So, uh, she getting better or anything? Kinda trailed off on where this went. 

2014-10-10 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And just checking in ...

Germany is truly the trip of a lifetime, and Mutti's done far, far, vastly better than any of us could have imagined. It's amazing. North Germany (we were prepared for the usual winterpocalypse October onset) is having the warmest autumn on record. We're wearing less clothing here than we sometimes do in Indonesia! Tina and I have also enjoyed ourselves and more or less behaved far far vastly better than any of us could have expected

That said, I don't care how much you love your mother (immensely) or how awesome your sister is (the best). If you spend 24/7 in the same room (or same small car) with them, mostly in the company of all your crazy relatives (how do you think I got this way?!) ... it's also gone far far vastly better than any of us could have thought simply because nobody's been shot and dumped in the Baltic Sea. Yet.

One or two of us may have had one or two thoughts about it, though.

Well Yanti if there has been no blood spilled you are all doing great.
My parents came and stayed for 3 nights this week and I was so glad when they left. I love them dearly but I do not cope well with them being in my space. And why is it that why they are here my small kitchen and dining area always looks and feels like a bomb has hit it?

BTW you are also looking exceptionally well and relaxed in your facebook photos and I love your new haircut.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-10-10 5:53 PM

2014-10-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Hope Randee had a fun HM and Jen enjoyed the 5k Jonathan's shadow run today?
2014-10-11 9:53 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yanti, I'm glad to hear that no blood has been spilled and no bodies have been dumped.  The pictures you've been posting on FB are so lovely!! 

I had a bit of a chat with Coach Joey in the running club.  Turns out that he's coached lacrosse but never coached running before.  He just happens to be the person at the store who's interested in doing it.  He's also been working 15 hour days since he moved from corporate to the store, which just about coincided with me joining the group.  Now that I know that, I've dialed back my expectations considerably.  It's disappointing, but so be it.  I think I'll stick with the group for now and probably through my HM.

2014-10-11 11:47 PM

User image

Master

Yanti, I'm glad to hear that no blood has been spilled and no bodies have been dumped.  The pictures you've been posting on FB are so lovely!! 

I had a bit of a chat with Coach Joey in the running club.  Turns out that he's coached lacrosse but never coached running before.  He just happens to be the person at the store who's interested in doing it.  He's also been working 15 hour days since he moved from corporate to the store, which just about coincided with me joining the group.  Now that I know that, I've dialed back my expectations considerably.  It's disappointing, but so be it.  I think I'll stick with the group for now and probably through my HM.

Well, at least you know now. So sticking with the plan DH used?
2014-10-12 12:45 AM

User image

Master
Odd experience on the ride today. Parked at bottom of Beeline loop. Guy pulled in next to us and starts getting ready. He's not in any hurry, and as I'm braiding my hair, I smiled and said Good Morning. He's looking right at me and didn't respond...at all. Ok, whatever. We didn't see him til another stop. This time J said something pleasant to him and got ignored. Ummm...maybe he's in his "zone"? Nope. He started to pull out of lot then turned around to talk to a lady we passed heading down the hill. We'd exchanged Good mornings with her. He left for another loop, and we said a couple things to the friendly lady as we pulled out. Both of us were totally puzzled with this guy. He's ahead of us for a few miles, then J passed him and a bit later I did too. Didn't see him til I got a flat right at end of ride...4mi to go. Guy went by us without a word, didn't even look sideways. Even a solo female rider slowed to check on me. He was gone when we got back to the lot. Not that we'll ever see him again, but geez.
2014-10-12 1:13 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Odd experience on the ride today. Parked at bottom of Beeline loop. Guy pulled in next to us and starts getting ready. He's not in any hurry, and as I'm braiding my hair, I smiled and said Good Morning. He's looking right at me and didn't respond...at all. Ok, whatever. We didn't see him til another stop. This time J said something pleasant to him and got ignored. Ummm...maybe he's in his "zone"? Nope. He started to pull out of lot then turned around to talk to a lady we passed heading down the hill. We'd exchanged Good mornings with her. He left for another loop, and we said a couple things to the friendly lady as we pulled out. Both of us were totally puzzled with this guy. He's ahead of us for a few miles, then J passed him and a bit later I did too. Didn't see him til I got a flat right at end of ride...4mi to go. Guy went by us without a word, didn't even look sideways. Even a solo female rider slowed to check on me. He was gone when we got back to the lot. Not that we'll ever see him again, but geez.

Throw this at him when you see him at the side of the road with a flat....jerk.

2014-10-12 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary, it looks like you've gotten your answers. Maybe he could use some help, someone who can help keep him on task and organized. I'm not saying you need to do this, but it seems like if a few people work together on this, it has the potential to really help some people. I hope it all works out both short and long term for you.

2014-10-12 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Odd experience on the ride today. Parked at bottom of Beeline loop. Guy pulled in next to us and starts getting ready. He's not in any hurry, and as I'm braiding my hair, I smiled and said Good Morning. He's looking right at me and didn't respond...at all. Ok, whatever. We didn't see him til another stop. This time J said something pleasant to him and got ignored. Ummm...maybe he's in his "zone"? Nope. He started to pull out of lot then turned around to talk to a lady we passed heading down the hill. We'd exchanged Good mornings with her. He left for another loop, and we said a couple things to the friendly lady as we pulled out. Both of us were totally puzzled with this guy. He's ahead of us for a few miles, then J passed him and a bit later I did too. Didn't see him til I got a flat right at end of ride...4mi to go. Guy went by us without a word, didn't even look sideways. Even a solo female rider slowed to check on me. He was gone when we got back to the lot. Not that we'll ever see him again, but geez.

Some days it is best not to try to figure other people out. Kindness is one of the best traits we can have, and that is what you showed. I hope your tire issue went ok for you. 

2014-10-12 7:59 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Some days it is best not to try to figure other people out. Kindness is one of the best traits we can have, and that is what you showed. I hope your tire issue went ok for you. 

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it either. There are loads of things that could be going through the guy's mind and you're only seeing very small bit of it.

2014-10-12 12:19 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Mary, it looks like you've gotten your answers. Maybe he could use some help, someone who can help keep him on task and organized. I'm not saying you need to do this, but it seems like if a few people work together on this, it has the potential to really help some people. I hope it all works out both short and long term for you.

Yeah, having an understanding can go a long ways towards feeling better about a situation, even if it's not quite the one you had wanted at first.

Not having a plan yet may be a bit disconcerting, but I think you're still fine since it's so far out. There isn't necessarily going to be something *that* special in the early goings anyway. For now, just keep developing a sense about running. That is how to put more in, how to work at various types of workouts, and how these things affect you. To me, the most important parts for you would be to learn how to run consistently first and then to work in various types of faster and/or longer runs.

For something to start with, I think you  have two types of "faster" workouts going on? The one is 4 x whatever the hill is, something like a minute? Right here would be a good place to work in the "lap" button if your watch has it. And use it for when you start and stop the hard part. I see this one on strava, but can't quite see enough detail with multiple hill reps in the single lap. The general idea would be to run up strong and be consistent across all 4 of them to just slightly faster on the last one. As you gain some more experience through some other workouts and races you'll get a better idea of just how hard that should be based off a few marker workouts, but for now seeing that it's above your easy pace on a grade I'm guessing at is good. And the mile home should not be a struggle either. You'll get some benefits from this of running hard and from running faster. Keep everything smooth with much of your body relaxed even though it wants to tense up. You're learning to run well, not trying to beat the tar out of yourself. Then one last bit on this is to make sure the downhill is truly easy. Both because it's a recovery and it's going downhill. Only goal of this is to be loose & ready for the next interval.

For the tempo, *I* would actually limit it to something like 1-2 miles of the 4 miles run, and maybe break it in half as well. That's almost 10-20' of faster running at your speed which is a fair amount of faster work for how much you're doing in total right now. The pacing of it can vary, but again, so long as it's at least a little faster than easy pace. Might hear anything from marathon pacing up to threshold pacing for this. Threshold pacing is close to your best, most optimal 1 hr race. Or for you, about a 10k you go all in on. I think it tends to be better to figure out how to work up to running this faster as opposed to doing longer. It does help to have a solid test run or a recent 5k result to be able to dial in the harder pacing. If you're not sure about being able to handle this run, then just go for the easy run and consider putting in some strides instead (do you know what these are?), going with the consistent running idea.

Do these help? Certainly not everything to know as there are entire books on this, but hoping to give a little to start with.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 44709 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38890 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74465 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51857 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 26999 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.