Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Fun training day today.

30' easy paced run then straight onto the bike for 15' @ 215w, 2 hours @ 230w, 5' @ 210w.  Right off the bike into a 40 min run with 15' @ 5:00/km, 15' @ 4:45/km (about my HIM target likely) and then 10' @ 4:30/km.

Did the majority of the ride on pancake flat roads to simulate Miami and what it's like to just stay on the aerobars for that long with no terrain to allow me to sit up.  That's certainly going to be one of the challenges I think.

2013-09-28 9:37 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Fun group ride today.  I was supposed to just sit in and cruise, and my legs weren't feeling that great, but I couldn't help myself and put in a few efforts to chase down an attack or make an attack myself.  Even had one attack holding 712 watts for 29 seconds. 

Maybe a 6-8ish mile run tomorrow and a 2k swim.

2013-09-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Fun seems the order of the weekend.

Great ride yesterday - steady hammering around the local towns.  Gorgeous swim around Walden last night (tried to draw a G-clef as Strava Art for my oldest who played at the New England Conservatory yesterday - didn't look too much like one, though!).

Today was a 7+ mile run on trails and a couple different loops over the Old North Bridge.  Felt so great to run a decent distance for the first time in a month!  Plus, just a corker of a fall day.

Oh, and 700+ W must be "sitting in" for a very different set of legs than mine.  Wink  Do make sure to really taper, though - too close to get really frisky out there!

Matt

2013-09-29 12:45 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

Fun training day today.

30' easy paced run then straight onto the bike for 15' @ 215w, 2 hours @ 230w, 5' @ 210w.  Right off the bike into a 40 min run with 15' @ 5:00/km, 15' @ 4:45/km (about my HIM target likely) and then 10' @ 4:30/km.

Did the majority of the ride on pancake flat roads to simulate Miami and what it's like to just stay on the aerobars for that long with no terrain to allow me to sit up.  That's certainly going to be one of the challenges I think.

Do you sit up and ride the horns a lot currently?  

This far into the season and I find aero to be at least as comfortable - if not more so - than the horns.  I've actually had the opposite thought on hills - that "I need to sit up now for better power…"

Just curious.

Matt

2013-09-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Fun training day today.

This far into the season and I find aero to be at least as comfortable - if not more so - than the horns.  I've actually had the opposite thought on hills - that "I need to sit up now for better power…"

Just curious.

Matt

No, I do it as little as possible but there is always something to get me up every once in a while, whether it's turning a corner, a short little hill or something like that.  It may only be for 5 or 10 seconds but that tends to be enough to stretch things out.  

2013-09-29 1:11 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Fun training day today.

Just curious.

Matt

No, I do it as little as possible but there is always something to get me up every once in a while, whether it's turning a corner, a short little hill or something like that.  It may only be for 5 or 10 seconds but that tends to be enough to stretch things out.  

Maybe just be mindful of the aid stations and sit up a few seconds earlier than normal?  Not quite the same as getting out of the saddle every so often to loosen up, as you say, but at least it'll give the back and neck a short break...

2013-09-29 1:43 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I raced a sprint tri today -- in typical Nicole fashion, it was a pretty decent swim, good bike, and crap run.  I'm trying to be patient with this running thing (I know, I've been out with a knee injury for more than a year, so I can't expect to be good).

Unofficial results say I was 5th in my AG, but if I was still 29, I'd have been 1st.  Damn 30-34 year olds are FAST!

RR when official results are posted.  Off to a massage shortly

2013-09-29 5:42 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Alright, RR here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=502015&posts=1#M4866624 

2013-09-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: 0

So, I was cleaning my bike Saturday afternoon and for the first time noticed that the front derailleur is a tiagra.  Emailed my LBS, he said he'd look into it, and lo and behold, seems BMC equips the "105" TM02 with a tiagra FD.  Guess I just assumed that a 105 bike meant 105 components

It does seem to disappear nicely though.  Too bad I have to get on it and ruin the areo-ness....

Edited by ChrisM 2013-09-30 11:42 AM
2013-09-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Good thing you won't need to shift the front for Miami...LOL.

2013-09-30 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Jason N

Good thing you won't need to shift the front for Miami...LOL.

true, although that seals the "should I swap over the DA components" issue

2013-09-30 1:07 PM

Elite
Ontario
I hadn't really thought about it much, but I wonder why component companies don't come up with an inexpensice center pull brake to put on Tri bikes.  Enough Tri/TT ikes sold to makie it worthwhile (I would guess).  Or perhaps it does just make sense to make it a boutique item and charge the aero weenies extra dollars for the bling/aero factor.
2013-09-30 4:07 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Originally posted by GoFaster I hadn't really thought about it much, but I wonder why component companies don't come up with an inexpensice center pull brake to put on Tri bikes.  Enough Tri/TT ikes sold to makie it worthwhile (I would guess).  Or perhaps it does just make sense to make it a boutique item and charge the aero weenies extra dollars for the bling/aero factor.

I don't think as many consumers want them.  Even though a center pull brake is more aero, it doesn't really look more aero or scream out "aero bling" like other parts of a bike.  You would also think that more TT/Tri bikes would come with aero chainrings, but most don't.  Some do, but an aero chainring looks cool, and is a much easier sell to the uninformed consumer that it's an "upgrade" worth paying more for, even though the front brake probably sees more of the wind than your chainrings do.

2013-09-30 5:00 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

So, I was cleaning my bike Saturday afternoon and for the first time noticed that the front derailleur is a tiagra.  Emailed my LBS, he said he'd look into it, and lo and behold, seems BMC equips the "105" TM02 with a tiagra FD.  Guess I just assumed that a 105 bike meant 105 components

It does seem to disappear nicely though.  Too bad I have to get on it and ruin the areo-ness....

I just can't get over how much longer EVERYONE else's legs appear to be!

No wonder my cadence is so high on the run…  

2013-10-02 8:34 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by GoFaster I hadn't really thought about it much, but I wonder why component companies don't come up with an inexpensice center pull brake to put on Tri bikes.  Enough Tri/TT ikes sold to makie it worthwhile (I would guess).  Or perhaps it does just make sense to make it a boutique item and charge the aero weenies extra dollars for the bling/aero factor.

I don't think as many consumers want them.  Even though a center pull brake is more aero, it doesn't really look more aero or scream out "aero bling" like other parts of a bike.  You would also think that more TT/Tri bikes would come with aero chainrings, but most don't.  Some do, but an aero chainring looks cool, and is a much easier sell to the uninformed consumer that it's an "upgrade" worth paying more for, even though the front brake probably sees more of the wind than your chainrings do.

I'm not sure most would even notice. Buy the fast frame & wheels. Nothing else really counts towards aero, or is an exception because it's them. I think it also works in the company's favor to put the more readily available parts on the bike and sell the more aero upgrade later if they even make one. As another area for example, I should have taken a pic to compare the T2+ bars with the Pro Missile. From the front, the difference was astounding. Almost like I had a 2 x 4 going across there.

2013-10-02 9:50 AM

2013-10-02 9:51 AM

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-02 10:05 AM

2013-10-02 9:55 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Fred D

Woly quad post?!

Chris I think it's pretty common industry practice to label a bike as '105' or 'ultegra', and then use some lesser components as well.

I don't agree with this tactic as it's false advertising, but I've seen it before.

I've seen this a number times as well, and agree on the false advertising.

2013-10-02 10:04 AM

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-02 10:12 AM
2013-10-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: Fred D

I think group riding is always beneficial when it pushes you past the points where you would normally ride on your own.  Plus it's fun. 

You'll still need to get in some solo rides, or at least rides without as much of the hard accelerations, but probably not as much as you think.  The main key for me is to dial in my pacing for longer solo efforts and getting used to staying down on the aero bars. 

2013-10-02 12:42 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1
Originally posted by Fred D

Woly quad post?!

Chris I think it's pretty common industry practice to label a bike as '105' or 'ultegra', and then use some lesser components as well.

I don't agree with this tactic as it's false advertising, but I've seen it before.

I've seen this a number times as well, and agree on the false advertising.

I could have sworn I looked at every spec on the BMC website for the '14 105 build.   The 2013 105 build does include a 105 F and R der.  I agree it's a bit of false advertising, although the specs are available.  I bet most people don't look closely tho

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.