BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-12 3:58 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hmmmmmmm....single speed mountain bike?

Gosh I love the idea of the simplicity. 

That sounds like a great idea until you hit a hard incline.  I need my gears!

2015-05-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master

Melanie, sending good thoughts.  Cancer sucks, full stop.

Matt, congrats on your upgrade!

Adrienne, congrats on the find!

TJ, I don't know who that is, but you all sound excited, so I will be for you!

2015-05-12 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

That just sounds brutal to me

Well, you would have to gear it right for your terrain...but interestingly a lot of what I read is really positive. All the riding you do within that gear ratio you pick is excellent. But of course in the outlier's it's not.

with the bonus of not hauling all that extra weight. I bet the weight savings is huge. 

If you get a fixed gear chain tensioner (below) then you can get multiple rear cogs for varying conditions and you simply change the rear cog out before leaving the house. Best of both worlds. Add in a flip flop hub and you can change even faster.

Or make life a bit easier and stick to gears, although they can be challenging to use when one has been drinking. From what I hear.

Honestly though, I can say that fixed gear has been fun and hard work. But I stick to roads, so what do I know?

2015-05-12 4:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Is there any further PPA info? If our name is on the confirmation list we are good to go, right? I'm approaching my last day to change my ticket or not. 

Yes. If there was an issue with our registration we would know by now.

95 days to go... but who's counting

So, how are you going to handle your training?

Any takeaways from the marathon? 

I am going to let Lisa Rainsberger tell me what to do

?

As in the last American woman to win the Boston Marathon.  She is a coach in Colorado Springs and coaches people for the PPA (and other stuff). I talked to her before my marathon so we just need to touch base and figure out when to get started. I told her about what trails and mountains I have here to work with.

lol yeah, I knew the first part. Was wondering what you meant by her involvement in your ppa.

So, is she coaching you?

We haven't started yet but we discussed it. She told me to check in with her a couple weeks after my marathon.

How cool is that?! 

2015-05-12 4:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by laffinrock

I've been watching the Giro and I have to ask, who is your favorite bike racing announcer? Phil Ligget/Paul Sherwen or Carlton Kirby?

I haven't seen the Giro or ToC yet but I like Phil.  He's classy and knows his stuff. 

Last year they were bringing in some recently retired cyclists and they were just irritating.

I don't think I know who Carlton Kirby is, but Phil and Paul are a good duo.  They certainly have some funny moments.  Plus when DH and I watch the TdF, the annual tradition is to closely to catch the first time "massive" is said and how often they say that and "dancing on the pedals".  It'll be a sad, sad day when one or the other retires.

Agreed!  I kinda feel like with Paul and Phil in California, Giro got a second or third string announcer (Sean Kelly is excellent, on par with our dynamic duo).

Nothing beats Paul and Phil, although I haven't found the Giro yet, so my view is biased.

Yesterday they rode through wine country. It sounded oh so TdF!  Jens is on and really doesn't add much to the broadcast that I saw. Except that he is Jens friggin' Voigt!  Evidently, that is all you need from him, because his insights were not too insightful.  Christian VanDeVelde adds nothing to the broadcast either, IMO. 

I need Bobke to take it to the next level.

Yes, VanDeVelde drove me nuts last year.  And as for Jens, I haven't seen it yet but I'm surprised he doesn't add much. He's usually got something witty to say.

2015-05-12 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've been watching the Giro and I have to ask, who is your favorite bike racing announcer? Phil Ligget/Paul Sherwen or Carlton Kirby?

I haven't seen the Giro or ToC yet but I like Phil.  He's classy and knows his stuff. 

Last year they were bringing in some recently retired cyclists and they were just irritating.

I don't think I know who Carlton Kirby is, but Phil and Paul are a good duo.  They certainly have some funny moments.  Plus when DH and I watch the TdF, the annual tradition is to closely to catch the first time "massive" is said and how often they say that and "dancing on the pedals".  It'll be a sad, sad day when one or the other retires.

Agreed!  I kinda feel like with Paul and Phil in California, Giro got a second or third string announcer (Sean Kelly is excellent, on par with our dynamic duo).

Nothing beats Paul and Phil, although I haven't found the Giro yet, so my view is biased.

Yesterday they rode through wine country. It sounded oh so TdF!  Jens is on and really doesn't add much to the broadcast that I saw. Except that he is Jens friggin' Voigt!  Evidently, that is all you need from him, because his insights were not too insightful.  Christian VanDeVelde adds nothing to the broadcast either, IMO. 

Yes, VanDeVelde drove me nuts last year.  And as for Jens, I haven't seen it yet but I'm surprised he doesn't add much. He's usually got something witty to say.

It could just be that I am struggling to understand him. Of course listening to Jens and TW at the same time made it interesting. A bit of that and I just went outside and cleaned the pool. Alone.

2015-05-12 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It could just be that I am struggling to understand him. Of course listening to Jens and TW at the same time made it interesting. A bit of that and I just went outside and cleaned the pool. Alone.

Funny DH and DS1 are part of the reason I haven't watched it yet. I haven't figured out a way to pause while they speak without having a "you're interrupting" look on my face. DH starts his late days tomorrow but DS1 is unemployed... and chatty  

2015-05-12 4:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Funny DH and DS1 are part of the reason I haven't watched it yet. I haven't figured out a way to pause while they speak without having a "you're interrupting" look on my face. DH starts his late days tomorrow but DS1 is unemployed... and chatty  

Fortunately, DH and I are both obsessed with the TdF and we only have fur kids to interrupt us while we watch it streaming.  The poor beasts do get a little less time and attention for 3 weeks every July.  That results in numerous pleading looks, bossy/barky toy-tosses and a frequent 40 lb. lap-lander.  Love 'em but sometimes I wish I could send them to their rooms to play.

2015-05-12 4:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Well, you would have to gear it right for your terrain...but interestingly a lot of what I read is really positive. All the riding you do within that gear ratio you pick is excellent. But of course in the outlier's it's not.

with the bonus of not hauling all that extra weight. I bet the weight savings is huge. 

If you get a fixed gear chain tensioner (below) then you can get multiple rear cogs for varying conditions and you simply change the rear cog out before leaving the house. Best of both worlds. Add in a flip flop hub and you can change even faster.

Or make life a bit easier and stick to gears, although they can be challenging to use when one has been drinking. From what I hear.

Honestly though, I can say that fixed gear has been fun and hard work. But I stick to roads, so what do I know?

Right, exactly. And you can buy a kit with the tentioner and spacers and stuff.

It can be hard work for sure, but again, if you select the proper ratio it's only hard some of the time. 

My bike is really going to be for more slight graded service roads for bike packing. Which is how I would select the cog and mainly just leave it, you know so I don't have to make poor drunk decisions.  And I am not past jumping off and walking my bike up the big hills.

2015-05-12 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I wish I could watch more of the TdC but I just have basic cable and I haven't found much free internet stuff.  I watch the highlights and scan the results.

It was kind of interesting.  Last Fall, I saw a bike on craigslist.  A gorgeous cyclocross bike that was a super deal (all carbon, Di2, etc.)  Met the guy at a coffee shop near my house.  He looked like he was still in high school and couldn't have been more than 130 pounds.  Nice young guy and I asked him what he did.  "race bikes" he said.  I thought must be like bmx or trick riding or something like that.  Went home and sleuthed him out on the web.  GC rider on one of the big teams that is currently in the TdC.  He is about middle of the pack now.  Would love to have had a beer with the guy and hear some war stories.

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-12 5:04 PM
2015-05-12 5:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

I wish I could watch more of the TdC but I just have basic cable and I haven't found much free internet stuff.  I watch the highlights and scan the results.

It was kind of interesting.  Last Fall, I saw a bike on craigslist.  A gorgeous cyclocross bike that was a super deal (all carbon, Di2, etc.)  Met the guy at a coffee shop near my house.  He looked like he was still in high school and couldn't have been more than 130 pounds.  Nice young guy and I asked him what he did.  "race bikes" he said.  I thought must be like bmx or trick riding or something like that.  Went home and sleuthed him out on the web.  GC rider on one of the big teams that is currently in the TdC.  He is about middle of the pack now.  Would love to have had a beer with the guy and hear some war stories.

It's a good thing I don't have cable or I'd never get any training done during road racing season--and I'd weigh more. 

DH got his current CX bike the same way you did and was beyond thrilled.  Super deal on a sweet bike from a pro who was changing teams.  However, I'm not sure how much they actually talked beyond the basics.  He's just not a chatty guy.  We flew to DC last summer--a 3.5 hr. flight--and he sat next to a UHC rider.  He didn't talk to the guy the entire trip!!!  It's probably good that he's not chatty.  I'm chatty enough for both of us.

2015-05-12 6:21 PM

Master
Northern IL

All of what weight? If I'm following this right, even if it's a few years old many drivetrain and brake pieces tend to not be very heavy. Good sized water bottle. Maybe.

2015-05-12 7:32 PM

User image

Master

MattMS- nice job getting that upgrade!

TJ- you have mountains AND pro advice coming? sheesh.

Adrienne- awesome vacay! Sweet score on the parts, too.  I can see you liking SS. There's a group here that is doing a Single de Mayo month of riding. Several are mostly-all SS and a couple are trying it out. All of them enjoy it as our terrain isn't steep climbing (3-4s). I've heard more about the enjoyment of the flow and simplicity of "you've got what you've got" riding than weight savings. (may be worth noting most of their rides are 10-15mi )

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-05-12 7:58 PM
2015-05-12 9:13 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

All of what weight? If I'm following this right, even if it's a few years old many drivetrain and brake pieces tend to not be very heavy. Good sized water bottle. Maybe.

Derailers, shifters, cables, casette...that's not insignificant. But it's not really about the weight, it's about the simplicity and flow like Erin touched on
2015-05-12 9:34 PM

User image

Master

Derailers, shifters, cables, casette...that's not insignificant. But it's not really about the weight, it's about the simplicity and flow like Erin touched on

Another thing I've read/heard is how quiet it gets. A lot of clatter goes away and you feel less mechanical and more one with your surroundings. Probably another reason I think you'd like it.

2015-05-12 11:34 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer

It's a good thing I don't have cable or I'd never get any training done during road racing season--and I'd weigh more. 

DH got his current CX bike the same way you did and was beyond thrilled.  Super deal on a sweet bike from a pro who was changing teams.  However, I'm not sure how much they actually talked beyond the basics.  He's just not a chatty guy.  We flew to DC last summer--a 3.5 hr. flight--and he sat next to a UHC rider.  He didn't talk to the guy the entire trip!!!  It's probably good that he's not chatty.  I'm chatty enough for both of us.

If I had the time and cable I'd be riding on my trainer for hours pretending I was in the race.

2015-05-13 7:10 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Another thing I've read/heard is how quiet it gets. A lot of clatter goes away and you feel less mechanical and more one with your surroundings. Probably another reason I think you'd like it.

Now that makes a lot more sense!

2015-05-13 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I can't imagine the mess this could make at races!

Drone

http://techcrunch.olanola.com/blog/43360359784/Lily%E2%80%99s-$499-Selfie-Drone-Is-Like-A-Flying-GoPro

2015-05-13 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

http://techcrunch.olanola.com/blog/43360359784/Lily%E2%80%99s-$499-Selfie-Drone-Is-Like-A-Flying-GoPro

Interesting. For the time being it looks like it's usage is limited to 20 minutes. 

2015-05-13 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Interesting. For the time being it looks like it's usage is limited to 20 minutes. 

Could you imagine the start of a race where a dozen or more people were launching their drones?  My imagination went to drone carnage falling on runners!

2015-05-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Could you imagine the start of a race where a dozen or more people were launching their drones?  My imagination went to drone carnage falling on runners!

That's what I thought too. And how many different frequencies could they have. Drones will be latching on to the wrong runner. Mayhem!

2015-05-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Did you all see this?    Not crazy about the idea of my feet on IG but if it's for the kids...

2015-05-13 10:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

That's what I thought too. And how many different frequencies could they have. Drones will be latching on to the wrong runner. Mayhem!

Hoping it doesn't really catch on. Right now the 20 minutes will really limit it's use as it's only 5k or less for faster runners, but that will likely increase in the future.

Edited by brigby1 2015-05-13 10:12 AM
2015-05-13 10:31 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Hoping it doesn't really catch on. Right now the 20 minutes will really limit it's use as it's only 5k or less for faster runners, but that will likely increase in the future.

How many runners would want to do this regularly anyway?  Do a lot of people use GoPros to record their runs now?  Seems like just another way to sell drones.

2015-05-13 10:33 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Did you all see this?    Not crazy about the idea of my feet on IG but if it's for the kids...

Cool idea.  If you do it, you should paint your toes with fun colors.  I dare ya, NancySteve!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15834 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28869 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67479 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56098 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.