in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-04 5:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Fred D

So, I suspect that what I am about to say will make a number of folks on this thread laugh at me.

I ended up putting an order in for a G3 power tap (DT Swiss) today through my LBS.

(((GASP)))

I don't plan on racing with it, but would like to use it over the fall/winter and spring to structure my rides a bit better. I also will use it for my 2 trainer rides a week in the winter.

I am happy I took a year off power, and to be honest, I never liked the Quarq I had.

I'm hoping my power tap will be more reliable and help my a bit.

Pretty funny....

I certainly won't laugh.

While I didn't go as far as getting rid of mine, I rely less on it than I used to. I always use it, but I try to use it as one of several metrics. I often ride just looking at HR and correlating that with PE, sometimes just power, sometimes I put it in my back pocket and look at it after.

2013-10-04 5:58 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Guys, check out the tourdegiro.com thread in TT This could be cool. We could set up virtual rides/races. I could set my weight to 110 lbs so with my watts could keep up with Fred. This is the time of the year to be planning these things....the geese are flying south, that's a sign. Now, just because they don't have geese in hawaii doesn't mean they shouldn't be planning....

Looks interesting, do you need any special set up with it?

Power meter, Virtual power or a Computrainer.
2013-10-04 6:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

We've been waiting for you to return to the fold.....
2013-10-04 6:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

2013-10-04 6:06 PM

2013-10-04 6:32 PM

Welcome back to power Fred!

As you already know, I love power.  But spending over 3 years with it, I understand it's limitations a lot more and have better learned to use power with HR and RPE together.

BTW Marc, the Quarq has been really consistent in the offset values the last 2 weeks.  Only seeing a drift of about 15 points these days.

2013-10-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

the Quarq has been really consistent in the offset values the last 2 weeks.  Only seeing a drift of about 15 points these days.

Excellent. Sounds like the torquing did the trick.

2013-10-04 6:46 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ChrisMWe've been waiting for you to return to the fold.....
. AKA the DARK side lol

Welcome back to the land of power Fred.  Admittedly I really like my PT - except when it tells me I'm not working hard enough (which is too often....).

Question for all power users.  What amount of variation do you allow yourself between riding aero vs base bar (or road bike)?

2013-10-04 6:57 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Originally posted by GoFaster

Question for all power users.  What amount of variation do you allow yourself between riding aero vs base bar (or road bike)?

Are you talking about the variation in power output between the two positions, or the variation in time spent in the two positions?

2013-10-04 7:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Well crap....everything you've all said makes sense, and doing a little more reading on marathon recovery is pointing at about 3 weeks.  So now I'm torn as to what to do.  Given that Muskoka is in September, even if I targeted a November marathon, that puts a large bulk of the marathon training overlapping with HIM training - it also means that if I did BQ it wouldn't be till the 2016 edition.

But I also don't want to blow my Tri season trying to chase a marathon time, that I fully realize may not be at all possible given this is my first marathon, and will be a complete learning experience come race day. 

Ugh, things to think about.

Are you set on Muskoka vs. just any ol' 70.3?  Also, is BQ for 2015 (rather than 2016) something of high importance - for whatever reason (scheduling, family, etc.)?

The marathon after tri season is much easier to figure out from a training standpoint, IMO.  Early 70.3 would even allow you to possibly shoot for a last minute BQ attempt (there are a few races JUST before the qual opens), and your base would be solid coming into that training (especially if you pushed slightly more on the run during the tri build).

The other way around is just tough.  I have a number of very competitive Cross racing buds who will NEVER again run even an early season HM (competitively - not just to complete) and certainly not a marry as many of them have tried in years past and swear the high volume and intensity run block scuppered their fall Cx season months later.

If that particular race is a priority and BQ for 2015 is also one, then it is going to be tough (as said above) to do both.

Matt

Everything each of you has said makes total sense.  The other issue for me is I hope to be in Europe for 2 weeks near the end of June next year, and if that pans out I'll likely be relegated to just some runs, and perhaps a couple of swims.  So even if I didn't have my heart set on Muskoka, I think the timing of the missing two weeks will impact an earlier HIM that much more + I don't have to travel for Muskoka.  It's only a 1 night stay for me.

So, maybe I aim for an early season HM instead, or even Around the Bay 30K race (oldest road race in N. America, and tough at the end).  I wonder how much of a recovery cost there is for a 30K vs 42K.  The Hamilton marathon is in November, and while not known for the scenery it is one of the fastest qualifiers for Boston.  So maybe I can figure out the training for that one.

2013-10-04 7:01 PM

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

Are you talking about the variation in power output between the two positions, or the variation in time spent in the two positions?

Sorry, very poorly worded question.  Variation in power output.

2013-10-05 5:48 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
]

Sorry, very poorly worded question.  Variation in power output.

I am about 10 watts.

The way I figured this out, I am about 3BPM heart rate lower when I come out of aero. This is pretty consistent.

in the tempo to threshold range, every 10 watts I crease, my BPM seems to go up about 3BPM.

I plan to do some position testing next week and will get a better idea.

Edited by marcag 2013-10-05 5:50 AM
2013-10-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

I think I'm at around 5-7%.  So FTP differs by around 13-15 watts, short 5 minute efforts may differ by about 20 watts, and long rides may differ by 8-10 watts.

2013-10-05 10:50 AM

Champion
Originally posted by ChrisM

Got in to Escape From Alcatraz...  For some reason, not 100% sure I'll sign up, but it's on everyone's bucket list and consistently one of the "races you have to do" type things.  I've swam Alcatraz 3X so that's not the attraction....   It's a pretty expensive weekend with race fees, air, getting the bike up there, hotel, etc.  Most likely I will

I'm still weighing a 2014 IM, but Alcatraz would be the first leg of my Awesome 2014 Tri Tour, Leg 2 would be Wildflower Long (no issues getting in) and Leg 3 would be SOS (tough to get in....). 

ETA someone else from our little group got in as well, but won't steal their thunder

It's me!! It's me!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!

2013-10-05 10:51 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Champion
On call this weekend for psychiatry which is going to go easy or busy....

Victoria HM next weekend (aka. pneumonia run)...nd then a week of vacation in Seattle!
2013-10-05 5:17 PM
in reply to: 0

It's me!! It's me!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!

Yes it is.   And I've decided to do it.   Asked a friend that races a lot, been to Kona, etc, he said Best Race Ever.  Wife said last night "I don't even know why you'd think of not doing it."  Having done the swim 3X, the thing that worries me is the sand ladder 

BTW, my friend said road bike if you have one

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-05 5:22 PM
2013-10-05 5:31 PM

Congrats Melissa and Chris on getting into Alcatraz.  I think everyone in this group should enter some type of lottery as we've been pretty lucky. 

One week out and I'm feeling great.  Legs are finally feeling "normal" again.  Another fun group ride today and probably a 6-8 mile run and 1k swim tomorrow.  I'm off Monday to get my act together as far as packing and quadruple checking everything and I leave Tuesday afternoon.

If any of you who are on facebook want to follow along, my profile is public if you simply search for me.  I don't think there are any other Jason Nakayama's from Hawaii, but if there is my profile pic should give it away.  LOL.  I think there will be a facebook app that will automatically post updates to my wall as I cross each timing mat, and finisherpix.com claims that they will also post photos of me to my wall as they are taken.  I suppose assuming they can make out my bib number.  #1807

I can't thank everyone in this group enough for the wisdom I've gained not only in this thread but over the last several years.  I'm truly honored to have been selected for this special journey and I feel that I am representing more than just myself.

2013-10-05 6:06 PM

Looking forward to tracking you next weekend.   Can't believe it's almost here!
2013-10-05 6:09 PM

This may be available on line somewhere, but I changed a cassette for Miami last night...  first time I've changed a cassette specifically for a race.  Anyway, seems to make sense to clean it while it's off?

Can someone describe the process, including the product you use, for washing it?  ANd any tips too, i.e. do you zip tie it so you know the order of spacers etc?

2013-10-05 7:09 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

This may be available on line somewhere, but I changed a cassette for Miami last night...  first time I've changed a cassette specifically for a race.  Anyway, seems to make sense to clean it while it's off?

Can someone describe the process, including the product you use, for washing it?  ANd any tips too, i.e. do you zip tie it so you know the order of spacers etc?

I've never cleaned one so I'm no help.

What cassette are you using?  I switched to an 11-23 for Miami.

2013-10-05 7:18 PM

Master
Northern IL

Sometimes I just wipe it, otherwise I've just used the same as for chain cleaning and wipe dry. Depending on which model cassette you have, the 3 biggest cogs are likely built as one unit and the rest are individual rings. The middles ones have spacers and the smallest cogs have the spacing built in. These are all easy to clean. The bigger spider unit took a little more soaking and more dab drying.

2013-10-05 7:59 PM

2013-10-05 8:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.