BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2204439

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163228&posts=1&start=1

RR done.

Can't say enough about how awesome this race venue is, if you have a chance to do one of Keith's races I highly recommend them.  My kids made it through 2 8hr + days there and had a great time.

2009-06-09 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2204516

User image

Champion
LOL, I think I responded to everyones race reports so far.
2009-06-09 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2202962

User image

Champion

SSMinnow - 2009-06-08 3:34 PM I need input from the group in two areas:

1. I have a road bike and while I used the drops a lot yesterday, I am wondering if it is worth getting aerobars installed? I want to be fast......  Will it take me very long to get used to them? i don't want to blow a lot of time getting up to speed given we are in the middle of the season. will my road geometry easily transfer to a tri set up?

2. Talk to me about how to ingest calories on the bike?  I swear anything I take down gives me stomach issues. My fav beverage, Infinit failed me yesterday and I barely drank anything. Gels make me want to puke, Heed and Perpetum are awful and Gatorade contains HFCS and I never do that. Do you think it is possible to take in something like Carb Pro which is straight carbs and use electrolyte tabs like Success or Endurolytes to supplement the sodium, etc?  

Suzy

Suzy,  I rode my first season on a road bike with aerobars.  I had a tri fit done on the bike so everything was set up properly.  My aeroness on the bike was no where near what it is on my tri bike but it was still better than nothing at all. 

Stability wise, from best to worst, Road bike, Road Bike with aero bars, Tri-bike.

I highly recommend them if you are going to stick with the road bike until they make a decent tri bike for the wee folkLaughing

Try out a few pair on the bike to see which ones you like, I had the Syntace C2's and thought they worked really well for my road bike.

2009-06-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I swam 1600 yds. this AM. No matter what I do I cannot beat 7:40 for 400 yds.! Consequently, I have begun to increase my weekly distance. I am shooting for 6000 yds./ week. Wanted to do 2000 today, but managed the 1600. I figure that I have been working on techniquefor a while now, but probably have neglected developing enough shoulder, arm and back strength. I am hoping the increased distance will show some results. I intend to continue working on technique during the 3 swims/week.

The hard part is I still need more bike miles and bricks. I think I am going to have to set up the CT and do some indoor bike training. Tomorrow is running in the AM (speedwork) and a group run (3.1 miles) in the early evening. Damn, real life is getting in the way of my training!!!

2009-06-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2204308

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

dalessit - 2009-06-09 6:17 AM HAHA try not to compare yourself to Sindabal, he has the most aero fit of anyone out there, not many can ride that way and live to tell about it.

Sorry for the sporadic updates all.  We have had quite a long weekend, just got back in town last night.

Got up at 4:30 both Saturday and Sunday, then got up around 8:00 on Monday to drive back 10 hrs.

Wife finished her first HIM in just about 7 hrs.  Not quite as fast as she would have liked but she finished.  It would not have been my choice for my first half, there are some serious hills, in the Olympic I only rode 19.7mph and was in the low 180's out of almost 1000 people, so it was not a PR type bike course and the run course featured some of the same hills.  Her first Marathon was Baltimore which has some serious hills also, she is a glutton for punishment I suppose.

For me I placed myself in the very back of my wave because I had no idea how my swim was going to turn out, so probably wasted 30 seconds or more there, then something amazing happened, I caught back up to the pack and passed people.  I was really worried about my suit as I still haven't had a good swim in any wetsuit where my shoulders just didn't get burned out after about 500M, but I tried something in a practice swim on Thursday where on my pull I didn't pull all the way back to my hip, I stopped about 3/4 of the way down and while probably not quite as fast it didn't tire my arms out.

I swam from Buoy to Buoy, actualy swimming very straight, no idea why people were 100yards wide, why swim further when you don't have to?  I pulled up quite a few times to make sure I was going the right direction because when I would breathe I saw people really far away and figured I was the one off course, but they were.  Got kicked in the head, ran into some back strokers (felt for them because usually that is me), had people swim perpindicular to me, etc and got out of the water in 30:55, could have easily broken 30:00 if I would have just put myself in the middle of the pack, will do that next time.

I will put up my RR here in a few, but was super psyched about my swim, that was what I was most worried about and I smoked it.  Haven't had a chance to read posts for a few days so I will shut up for now and catch back up.

CAUTION: DEFENSIVE MODE KICKING IN....I have a 'friend' who swam his 1st OWS this weekend. He swam VERY wide to the first buoy. I know for a fact that he did not do that on purpose!! HATongue out

Your wife sounds like she wears the pants in that family! She's doing the tough HIM's and marathons and hubby is worried about his shoulders hurting a bit in the wetsuit.  You know we still love you!
Sounds like a very cool race for the family to tag along to.

2009-06-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2204693

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-09 10:19 AM

dalessit - 2009-06-09 6:17 AM HAHA try not to compare yourself to Sindabal, he has the most aero fit of anyone out there, not many can ride that way and live to tell about it.

Sorry for the sporadic updates all.  We have had quite a long weekend, just got back in town last night.

Got up at 4:30 both Saturday and Sunday, then got up around 8:00 on Monday to drive back 10 hrs.

Wife finished her first HIM in just about 7 hrs.  Not quite as fast as she would have liked but she finished.  It would not have been my choice for my first half, there are some serious hills, in the Olympic I only rode 19.7mph and was in the low 180's out of almost 1000 people, so it was not a PR type bike course and the run course featured some of the same hills.  Her first Marathon was Baltimore which has some serious hills also, she is a glutton for punishment I suppose.

For me I placed myself in the very back of my wave because I had no idea how my swim was going to turn out, so probably wasted 30 seconds or more there, then something amazing happened, I caught back up to the pack and passed people.  I was really worried about my suit as I still haven't had a good swim in any wetsuit where my shoulders just didn't get burned out after about 500M, but I tried something in a practice swim on Thursday where on my pull I didn't pull all the way back to my hip, I stopped about 3/4 of the way down and while probably not quite as fast it didn't tire my arms out.

I swam from Buoy to Buoy, actualy swimming very straight, no idea why people were 100yards wide, why swim further when you don't have to?  I pulled up quite a few times to make sure I was going the right direction because when I would breathe I saw people really far away and figured I was the one off course, but they were.  Got kicked in the head, ran into some back strokers (felt for them because usually that is me), had people swim perpindicular to me, etc and got out of the water in 30:55, could have easily broken 30:00 if I would have just put myself in the middle of the pack, will do that next time.

I will put up my RR here in a few, but was super psyched about my swim, that was what I was most worried about and I smoked it.  Haven't had a chance to read posts for a few days so I will shut up for now and catch back up.

CAUTION: DEFENSIVE MODE KICKING IN....I have a 'friend' who swam his 1st OWS this weekend. He swam VERY wide to the first buoy. I know for a fact that he did not do that on purpose!! HATongue out

Your wife sounds like she wears the pants in that family! She's doing the tough HIM's and marathons and hubby is worried about his shoulders hurting a bit in the wetsuit.  You know we still love you!
Sounds like a very cool race for the family to tag along to.

I'm comfortable with that.

I do understand not swimming straight, been there done that,  but they were really far away from the buoys the whole way around the course, probably swam 2000M instead of 1500, lol I like to swim as little as possible so I make sure every 3 strokes I look up.

2009-06-09 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I'll let everyone in on my secret but I need some creative help.  My husband and I decided we are going to do a Full Ironman in November as a 2 man relay.  I'll do the swim and run while he bikes.  Chet, I'll see ya at Beach 2 Battleship!   So here is the favor/request.  The only reason we haven't officially registered yet is b/c we don't have a cool team name.  During my swim last night I was thinking about it and joked we should be team WTF.  Anyone have any good ideas?  PLEASE HELP - I HAVE TO REGISTER SOON!!!!
2009-06-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2204721

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-06-09 8:28 AM I'll let everyone in on my secret but I need some creative help.  My husband and I decided we are going to do a Full Ironman in November as a 2 man relay.  I'll do the swim and run while he bikes.  Chet, I'll see ya at Beach 2 Battleship!   So here is the favor/request.  The only reason we haven't officially registered yet is b/c we don't have a cool team name.  During my swim last night I was thinking about it and joked we should be team WTF.  Anyone have any good ideas?  PLEASE HELP - I HAVE TO REGISTER SOON!!!!

what's hubbies name again?
2009-06-09 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2204731

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
TrevorC - 2009-06-09 10:30 AM
tahrens - 2009-06-09 8:28 AM I'll let everyone in on my secret but I need some creative help.  My husband and I decided we are going to do a Full Ironman in November as a 2 man relay.  I'll do the swim and run while he bikes.  Chet, I'll see ya at Beach 2 Battleship!   So here is the favor/request.  The only reason we haven't officially registered yet is b/c we don't have a cool team name.  During my swim last night I was thinking about it and joked we should be team WTF.  Anyone have any good ideas?  PLEASE HELP - I HAVE TO REGISTER SOON!!!!

Doug
2009-06-09 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2204743

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-06-09 8:34 AM

Doug

Ok I've got three so far:

" T to the D" -- nice and hip. Kids dig that hip hop.
" I think I just peed myself" -- self-explanatory
"Pee-Pee and the Quads" - that one actually made me laugh out loud. He'd have fun explaining that one to others at the race.
2009-06-09 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
what model tire is on your bike?

2009-06-09 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Piggy back Trevor... "PP and Quadzilla"
The Wookies! The wookie call can be your victory cry!
Meet the Fockers
Sofa Kings
The Beer View Mirrors
and my personal favorite...

"Wii not FIT" 

Edited by swbkrun 2009-06-09 10:14 AM
2009-06-09 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Team "1/3 Shy of a Load"
Team "2 out 3 ain't Bad"
Team "Warm Wetsuit"
Team Pasty White (Since Doug wont take off his T-shirt!)
Team Farmer's Tan!

Edited by DougRob 2009-06-09 10:27 AM
2009-06-09 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
We had a radio station up here running these fake advertisments....for a place called "Sofa King" It was a riot.
They would get peoples feedback on the store...."I really enjoyed shopping there. Sofa King good."
2009-06-09 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham

tahrens - 2009-06-09 7:28 AM I'll let everyone in on my secret but I need some creative help.  My husband and I decided we are going to do a Full Ironman in November as a 2 man relay.  I'll do the swim and run while he bikes.  Chet, I'll see ya at Beach 2 Battleship!   So here is the favor/request.  The only reason we haven't officially registered yet is b/c we don't have a cool team name.  During my swim last night I was thinking about it and joked we should be team WTF.  Anyone have any good ideas?  PLEASE HELP - I HAVE TO REGISTER SOON!!!!

I'm not sure you fully grasp the concept of a relay

Team Names:

Meet the Savages
Quadzilla and the Seaweed Monster
Wait - how far??

2009-06-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2204906

User image

Pro
cadmus - 2009-06-09 8:21 AM

tahrens - 2009-06-09 7:28 AM I'll let everyone in on my secret but I need some creative help.  My husband and I decided we are going to do a Full Ironman in November as a 2 man relay.  I'll do the swim and run while he bikes.  Chet, I'll see ya at Beach 2 Battleship!   So here is the favor/request.  The only reason we haven't officially registered yet is b/c we don't have a cool team name.  During my swim last night I was thinking about it and joked we should be team WTF.  Anyone have any good ideas?  PLEASE HELP - I HAVE TO REGISTER SOON!!!!

Team Names:

Meet the Savages
Wait - how far??

I dig the last 2... And I FORGOT ABOUT THE SEAWEED MONSTER.... TRACY care to tell the rest of the group about your first ows race?  And I am sure you still have the picture somewhere... TIME TO SHARE!

2009-06-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2204985

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
swbkrun - 2009-06-09 11:45 AM

Team Names:

Meet the Savages
Wait - how far??

I dig the last 2... And I FORGOT ABOUT THE SEAWEED MONSTER.... TRACY care to tell the rest of the group about your first ows race?  And I am sure you still have the picture somewhere... TIME TO SHARE!

Oh yes, the Seaweed Monster. How could I forget.  This was my first OWS and I had heard stories of how much seaweed was in this particular lake.  Me being the baby that I am I was scared of it before the race.  So Murphy's law would have it turn into a jungle of sea weed where I was literally pulling up handfuls of the stuff with every stroke.  Here is an portion of my race report describing the situation.  The photo was my leaving the water as I had picked off most of the seaweed.  Good times.

FIRST OWS EVER!!! and it wasn't bad at all. Jumping off the dock into the water was icky, we landed in on a soft feather-bed of slimy algae. Some people chose to stand in it verses treading water, but not me. YUCK. There were some floating broken hydrilla branches floating around....... The last 200 meters were a jungle of hydrilla. I must have looked like a monster from the seaweed lagoon when I exited the water. I had it wrapped around my neck, stuck in my goggles and watch, down my top, just everywhere. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get away from it and eventually had to laugh. Here I was afraid of "slimy stuff" touching me and now I was wrapped in it!! I'm glad I could laugh and not freak out! Overall I was extremely pleased with my swim.

(seaweed monster.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
seaweed monster.bmp (69KB - 14 downloads)
2009-06-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2204743

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-06-09 9:34 AM

Doug

Hey Tracy

Give me some time, but here are some ideas.  I always think team names should be positive and benefit based, but that's just me! What can I say, I'm in marketing!.  

1. Fast Finish
2. Fast Legs
3. Adrenaline Rush
4. Long and Gone (or Long Gone)
5. SBR Gone Wild

Suzy
2009-06-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2204985

User image

Extreme Veteran
swbkrun - 2009-06-09 11:45 AM

Team Names:

Meet the Savages
Wait - how far??

how about:
Beauty and the Beast
Mr and Mrs Fast
We're no Beach
Enjoying the View?
2009-06-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2202546

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

swbkrun - 2009-06-08 1:35 PM Roni, just sprint the 1st 5k of Boise, and log it! !! Isn't that the game plan anyways??? !

That would also be a great cool down! 5k sprint the next day, before a nice long drive!

and Steve will run it with you

2009-06-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2205197

User image

Pro
Redknight - 2009-06-09 9:52 AM

swbkrun - 2009-06-08 1:35 PM Roni, just sprint the 1st 5k of Boise, and log it! !! Isn't that the game plan anyways??? !

That would also be a great cool down! 5k sprint the next day, before a nice long drive!

and Steve will run it with you

You bet I will!  WE SWBKRUNMG'S stick together....

2009-06-09 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Holly is back and alive...but injured.  Everyone go send her some love Cry

And thanks for all the name ideas.  Some of those are really clever.  I'll talk it over with the big man and let you know what we decide. You guys are awesome!

2009-06-09 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tahrens - 2009-06-09 9:28 AM I'll let everyone in on my secret but I need some creative help.  My husband and I decided we are going to do a Full Ironman in November as a 2 man relay.  I'll do the swim and run while he bikes.  Chet, I'll see ya at Beach 2 Battleship!   So here is the favor/request.  The only reason we haven't officially registered yet is b/c we don't have a cool team name.  During my swim last night I was thinking about it and joked we should be team WTF.  Anyone have any good ideas?  PLEASE HELP - I HAVE TO REGISTER SOON!!!!

Why not "Apex" - it is where you're from and it does mean the top....

2009-06-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2199887

User image

Elite
Raleigh
tahrens - 2009-06-07 7:34 AM

Look up a fellow BT'er named KEYONE (you can find her link on my log in my friends list). She is a big time racers here in Wake Co. and has raced both Duke and Pinehurst several times. Read her race reports. She also organizes OWSing groups out of Jordan. If you are interested I can give you the info on that.

Yes, please send me the info on the OWS in lake Jordan.

2009-06-09 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I am trying to catch up after a crazy busy weekend.  All I can say is we have a group of awesome racers!!  Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and kicked but!  I can finally say that I am racing this weekend.  A Sprint which was my first ever when I did it last year!  I am hoping to better my time, but what with being sick, I will be okay if I don't!  I have my new wheels on my bike, with a brand new cassette (thanks for the advice Steve), and I am ready to go!!  Keep up the good work everyone!

Karen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383