BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-27 1:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by cdban66

Monica - how go the chiro appts? Any improvement yet?

TJ - your pic is 101% awesome!

Adrienne - your friend is 102% awesome, both of them!

BTW TJ, the route doesn't pass us, but sis and I are doing this race: http://www.swflymca.org/programs/boston-strong-memorial-run/

That's way cool. I love that Heartbreak Hill is a bridge

2014-03-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Monica - how go the chiro appts? Any improvement yet?

TJ - your pic is 101% awesome!

Adrienne - your friend is 102% awesome, both of them!

BTW TJ, the route doesn't pass us, but sis and I are doing this race: http://www.swflymca.org/programs/boston-strong-memorial-run/

That's way cool. I love that Heartbreak Hill is a bridge

Highest point in town. Heck probably the highest/steepest in the county. 

2014-03-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mary,

I think that you had asked about Android apps that do intervals?  I didn't respond because I use a watch for that but I think that most of the popular ones do.  I was reminded because I saw a blurb about Runtastic being updated today.

I think that some people here might use Strava Run.  I've also heard good things about Endomondo and RunKeeper.

2014-03-27 1:35 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Alright, major brag alert. Some of our guys raced a hilly HM over the weekend as a tuneup (One of them won, with 108:30) but notably, Ari ran with Aaron tethered to him. Aaron is legally blind (oh, and a triathlete gunnin' for Rio '16) Together they finished 12/13 at 1:16:51

PS I apologize for jacking this photo

Very cool!
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Mary,

I think that you had asked about Android apps that do intervals?  I didn't respond because I use a watch for that but I think that most of the popular ones do.  I was reminded because I saw a blurb about Runtastic being updated today.

I think that some people here might use Strava Run.  I've also heard good things about Endomondo and RunKeeper.

Does BT have an app? I thought there was at one time. That's all I have, I can't get comfy with a phoene on my runs.

in reply to: #4922219

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Hmmm, sometimes I don't much notice the passage of time. Seems that I haven't posted for a while. Must be that Lost Boy thingie. Spring break is this week and so far the weather has been miserable. Pollen is rampant and I seem to no longer be quite as immune from it as I uses to be. I have been training somewhat but high school soccer season is under way and I am refereeing games several days a week. This week I have been working on my bike. I have installed new brifters and cables. Spiffed her up with a bath and new bar tape. Sunday the weather is predicted to be nice so I plan to get in a long ride of 50 plus miles. Oh, and I have been re-reading the works of Faulkner. Love that steam of consciousness stuff.

2014-03-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mary,

Does BT have an app? I thought there was at one time. That's all I have, I can't get comfy with a phoene on my runs.

The BT App was just for logging. It was pretty crash prone and not useful. I don't know what the status of it is. I think that maybe the mobile site has replaced it?

Do we need to at phoene to our definitions?

2014-03-27 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Mary,

The BT App was just for logging. It was pretty crash prone and not useful. I don't know what the status of it is. I think that maybe the mobile site has replaced it?

I agree with the BT app being only for logging, and also being crash prone.

As for other phoene apps... I am currently using Strava. It gives me my splits at specific intervals (I have it set for 1/2 mile). I've also used RunKeeper (which is more music friendly) and Runtastic which also has "story running" you can download. I wasn't sure what kind of interval info was needed in the original question, and forgot to ask about it

2014-03-27 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary,

spell check ain't me friend 

2014-03-27 2:10 PM

User image

Master

First little run in 10 days. Toe did okay. A bit sore, but no pain

Most horrible thing happened! The trusted 3mi porto is gone!!! No no no bueno. Only did 3.6 and last mile was 75% walking.   Guess it's time to re-route.

2014-03-27 2:22 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Most horrible thing happened! The trusted 3mi porto is gone!!! No no no bueno. Only did 3.6 and last mile was 75% walking.   Guess it's time to re-route.

Uh oh!!!!!!!

2014-03-27 3:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Alright, major brag alert. Some of our guys raced a hilly HM over the weekend as a tuneup (One of them won, with 108:30) but notably, Ari ran with Aaron tethered to him. Aaron is legally blind (oh, and a triathlete gunnin' for Rio '16) Together they finished 12/13 at 1:16:51

PS I apologize for jacking this photo

At that speed, I would have been tempted to lasso on and get dragged along
2014-03-27 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by amd723

Happy Friday Eve Manatees.

Forgot to ask y'all about this yesterday... DH, DS2 and I went to the Southwest Chocolate and Coffee Festival over the weekend. It was pretty awesome! Anyway... one of the coffees we tried was called Caveman Coffee. The coffee itself is very good, we bought a bag, but at the festival they served it blended with butter (yum) and MCT oil. Obviously based on the name of the company they are Paleo focused. Apparently MCT is a derivative of coconut oil so I am wondering about the differences between the two. I replicated their recipe using coconut oil and it was good so I'm wondering more for the health benefit aspect. Thoughts? Anyone heard of it? I thought maybe some of our NSNG folks might have.

A chocolate and coffee festival sounds like pretty much the best thing ever!  But why, oh why, would you put butter in coffee??  Before this post I had never heard of MCT, so I can't offer you any insight.

The festival was amazing! I was soooooo caffiened up from all the samples! We came home with coffees and chocolates, and chocolates, and coffees... Anyway, I was skeptical about the butter as well but it is sooo good. I usually take my coffee black but once in a while am in a mood for cream. Well this is essentially the paleo version of cream on steroids. You put the hot prepared coffee (from a french press) in a blender with the butter and oil and whalla, amazing coffee!

That sounds like the best festival EVER!!  I haven't heard of butter in coffee before, but I have a few friends that will do the coconut oil in their coffee, put it into the blender for a few seconds and out comes frothy, delicious coffee.  I haven't tried it yet though, mainly because I'm afraid it will taste like coconut and I HATE coconut.  

I think I got an ever so slight hint of coconut when I tried it with coconut oil but got zero coconut flavor from the MCT

I LOVE coconut, and was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much coconut flavor when I tried it in my coffee a couple of times. I wasn't thrilled with it, but maybe blended would change my opinion.

Sorry, I haven't yet figured out to quote just the last post

I haven't tried the coffee with just the coconut oil. I'll have to give that a go tomorrow.

BTW the people who organized the ORFB are from England so I got to enjoy their accents and sayings on Monday. They were "eating rubbish from the petro stations" and they "reversed the car" and of course they "gave it a go". Love it!

Nope, don't know what your chin wagging about, can't see anything wrong with those sayings.
2014-03-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

A friend posted this ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE article on FB and I found it quite amusing. I like how they use number of triathletes in the state as one of the metrics. And I like that being from Colorado and living in New Mexico I'm pretty safe. Looks like Erin is too. You Florida cats are in TROUBLE!

2014-03-27 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

This picture appeared on the ORFB FaceBook page with the following caption: For anyone that has not yet run a stage and done a handoff for ORFB, this is how its done! Tight hugs and happiness! This is TJ to Beth, stage 94 to 95.

That is DH and DS2 in the pic with us.

Awesome cwtch's.
2014-03-27 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

A friend posted this ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE article on FB and I found it quite amusing. I like how they use number of triathletes in the state as one of the metrics. And I like that being from Colorado and living in New Mexico I'm pretty safe. Looks like Erin is too. You Florida cats are in TROUBLE!

I can't believe with all of our gun toting crazy people that Florida ranks so low in zombie survival!

2014-03-27 3:43 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

I can't believe with all of our gun toting crazy people that Florida ranks so low in zombie survival!
bet it's all your tourists and snowbirds.
2014-03-27 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

That's probably it - all the people walking around Disney in sandals and socks ( while also sporting a wicked sun burn) takes points from our total!
2014-03-27 5:05 PM

User image

Seattle

Heck-freakin-yes, Oiselle (the company that signed Lauren Fleshman and Kara Goucher) is working on a swim line http://sallybergesen.tumblr.com/post/80913505463/a-swim-story-and-why-were-in-palm-springs

I'll bet they are full into tri stuff in the relatively near future. 

Personally, I think their running gear is FAR superior to just about everything else. So, this is great news for triathlon. 

And in case you guys don't know, Lauren Fleshman is married to the triathlete Jesse Thomas (and I've got to imagine theres got to be some tri influence coming from that alone.)

2014-03-27 5:05 PM

User image

Seattle

That's probably it - all the people walking around Disney in sandals and socks ( while also sporting a wicked sun burn) takes points from our total!

Haha! 

2014-03-27 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Mary,

i use RunKeeper. I can't find anywhere that you can set intervals to be say 4 minutes/1 minute but you can set it so that it tells you the time since you started in all different sorts of blocks from 1 minute intervals up. I have found that it works well for me because I know how much longer I have to suck it up for before I get to slow down.

2014-03-27 9:46 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Mary,

Sorry, Chris, Janyne's comment about adding "phoene" to our definitions just made me snort!

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Sounds like DH is going to buy me a watch with an interval timer on it. He's got 2 good reasons: a) so I don't keep snagging his while he's lounging on the couch and b) he still hasn't bought me an anniversary present (it was in Feb.) and now my birthday is coming up. Nothing like a little fancy jewelry to celebrate! (To be fair, I didn't get him anything either; the deal was that he could have the REI refund. And his birthday is coming up too so I'd better think of something quick!)
2014-03-27 9:59 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Glad you're back on your feet again (ba doom kish) but sorry to hear about the missing porto. I'm only run/walking a little over a mile at a time right now, but will have to figure something out as I start running longer distances. The neighbors don't take kindly to dogs squatting on their lawns; can't imagine how they'd react to a person!

Please excuse the feeble attempts at humor. I'm really tired and feeling a little punchy. Now's about the time DH starts saying, "Yes, dear," then suggesting that I maybe go to bed early.
2014-03-28 1:54 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Some news on the DH health front. He had an appointment to review his first round of test results today. At this stage the diagnosis is that 30+ years of drinking over a litre of milk a day has resulted in his stomach not functioning properly. There are some other less serious issues as well but this is causing the majority of his problems.

So a light at the end of the tunnel maybe, but it means more diet changes including adding no grains to our list of no wheat, no sugar, no dairy, no soy so I'm not too sure what we are going to eat now
2014-03-28 4:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKSome news on the DH health front. He had an appointment to review his first round of test results today. At this stage the diagnosis is that 30+ years of drinking over a litre of milk a day has resulted in his stomach not functioning properly. There are some other less serious issues as well but this is causing the majority of his problems. So a light at the end of the tunnel maybe, but it means more diet changes including adding no grains to our list of no wheat, no sugar, no dairy, no soy so I'm not too sure what we are going to eat now
I'm happy to hear that someone has possibly identified the issue and has a plan of attack! I'm pretty sure if you added up all the milk I've had since my teenage years that it wouldnt reach a liter ( or litre )! For the last few years I've used almond milk in my cereal- which is the only time I get milk!

looks like you will be eating a lot of veggies!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25108 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37448 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 17679 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.