BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Just got back from an interesting talk by Steve Bosley, the founder and former RD of the Bolder Boulder.  I had no idea that that race was the first to have wave starts and an early proponent of allowing registration roll-overs if you can't do the race. 

He had some pretty funny stories to tell too.  One was about a woman who complained every year for 7 years about people taking nature breaks in her flowers.  Somebody from the race organization went to her house and offered to fence in her flowers to protect them.  She declined, however, after he told her that she had the best looking tulips on the block, and they never heard from her again!

It's a very well run race and a party all along the route.

2015-05-14 4:00 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Just got back from an interesting talk by Steve Bosley, the founder and former RD of the Bolder Boulder.  I had no idea that that race was the first to have wave starts and an early proponent of allowing registration roll-overs if you can't do the race. 

He had some pretty funny stories to tell too.  One was about a woman who complained every year for 7 years about people taking nature breaks in her flowers.  Somebody from the race organization went to her house and offered to fence in her flowers to protect them.  She declined, however, after he told her that she had the best looking tulips on the block, and they never heard from her again!

I want to do this one at some point.

I love Boulder. Or at least I did the last time I was there...probably time to go back and confirm!

2015-05-14 4:10 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I want to do this one at some point.

I love Boulder. Or at least I did the last time I was there...probably time to go back and confirm!

Last year Shalane, the Halls and Deena all did it. One of them said it was a bucket list race, might have been Shalane.

I love it. It's a great race. I'm bummed I'm (probably) not doing it this year.

2015-05-14 4:29 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by jmkizer

Another PSA, this time @Chris

Balega Comfort Challenge

Attention Balega fans: Just passing along this opportunity from one of our favorite sock brands.

From May 15 through June 15, post photos illustrating the comfort of Balega socks to Instagram, along with the hashtag #BalegaComfortChallenge for the chance to win a free pair. Balega will be picking one winner per day!

Sa-Weet!!!! I'm in every day until I win. I apologize up front to those that follow me on IG

Just a small request, please don't post to instagram within the time window of a workout so that it shows up on strava.

I can't promise that, I am a cross posting fool 

And thank you for the earlier IG post that reminded me about Toms!

2015-05-14 4:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

So... I saw in Jen's log that she is having problems with some older shoes that are not nearly maxed out on mileage.  I also saw that NancySteve gets older model shoes (new but older model) off of eBay. These two situation triggered something that I think that I read a few years ago -- the EVA foam in shoes has a shelf life, not just a mileage life.  Is that true?

OK, I'll Google it and get a head start on the conversation.  Apparently Hal Higdon wrote something about it in a book in the 2003 or so.  Running Times seems to agree, although they said that perhaps they deteriorate a bit more slowly that was suggested in the book. 

I really have no idea but thought that I'd toss it out there.

Ehhhhhhh I would imagine it is true. But I'll bet the shelf life is long enough that it's a non-issue for most people.

Shoe wear/longevity is much more about the individual and how they run. 

I'd bet weight/stress on the shoe plays a part. You mentioned 800 miles on a pair earlier and I thought my nearly 500 was pretty good. I'm betting my 220 lbs+heelstriking = some wear on my shoes.

Yep. It plays a huge role. 

Would think so too. I've been getting 350-400 on a number of shoes. Although for some treadmill only it's gone up around 900. Fast work tends to take place on the treadmill too.

2015-05-14 4:45 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Didn't get the Asics.

Put on my Adrenalines this morning and my feet were happy, so I decided I'll go up to the LRS in Tempe (we don't have one in town) to check out the 14s/15s. Mine are 13s, so I need to see if the next generations work. Lots of times they have sidewalk sales, and I'd rather support them than a big chain store. And I'll probably have to look at replacing my Cascadias this summer.

2015-05-14 5:18 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Okay i suppose this is short notice and we may have to wait till next year but THIS is the Manatee meetup in Colorado!!!!!!!!!!

Now that would be the party of the year.

Got me thinking about what it would be like to win the lottery or have some others means to where you could just do whatever, whenever you want.  No such thing as short notice in that world.  But alas.... 

2015-05-14 5:25 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

So... I saw in Jen's log that she is having problems with some older shoes that are not nearly maxed out on mileage.  I also saw that NancySteve gets older model shoes (new but older model) off of eBay. These two situation triggered something that I think that I read a few years ago -- the EVA foam in shoes has a shelf life, not just a mileage life.  Is that true?

OK, I'll Google it and get a head start on the conversation.  Apparently Hal Higdon wrote something about it in a book in the 2003 or so.  Running Times seems to agree, although they said that perhaps they deteriorate a bit more slowly that was suggested in the book. 

Ehhhhhhh I would imagine it is true. But I'll bet the shelf life is long enough that it's a non-issue for most people.

I'd bet weight/stress on the shoe plays a part. You mentioned 800 miles on a pair earlier and I thought my nearly 500 was pretty good. I'm betting my 220 lbs+heelstriking = some wear on my shoes.

Would think so too. I've been getting 350-400 on a number of shoes. Although for some treadmill only it's gone up around 900. Fast work tends to take place on the treadmill too.

I think we are seeing more variability on shoe life from one shoe to another given the vast array of different materials being used.  Some extremely durable and some not so much.  Some of the really soft shoe lives can be pretty limited.  I generally try to get at least 400 miles out of a pair but I gravitate towards lighter, softer, more flexible shoes.  My last Hoka Cliftons were done at 300 miles.  They still looked new and felt pretty good but when I rotated the next pair in early they were quite dead in comparison. 

2015-05-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

I think we are seeing more variability on shoe life from one shoe to another given the vast array of different materials being used.  Some extremely durable and some not so much.  Some of the really soft shoe lives can be pretty limited.  I generally try to get at least 400 miles out of a pair but I gravitate towards lighter, softer, more flexible shoes.  My last Hoka Cliftons were done at 300 miles.  They still looked new and felt pretty good but when I rotated the next pair in early they were quite dead in comparison. 

And shoe style. My flats aren't going to hit 800 miles, nor will my spikes.

It blows my mind that a hoka would have so little miles, in comparison to your other shoes though. That's a whole lotta shoe. 

2015-05-14 6:22 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Didn't get the Asics.

Put on my Adrenalines this morning and my feet were happy, so I decided I'll go up to the LRS in Tempe (we don't have one in town) to check out the 14s/15s. Mine are 13s, so I need to see if the next generations work. Lots of times they have sidewalk sales, and I'd rather support them than a big chain store. And I'll probably have to look at replacing my Cascadias this summer.

I love my Adrenalines too Erin. But they are real expensive here ($230 a pair) and I can never get my size on sale. I have been getting Phil to pick some up for me each time he goes to the US. I didn't notice any great difference between the 13s and 14s. I also have a pair of 15s in the wings. I can't remember if I have even tried these on yet as I'm not even close to needing them. Phil just got them for me the last time he was over there.

I have 2 pair of 14s in different colours and I have noticed that my feet don't love my green ones as much as they love my white ones. It's nothing major, it could just be that I have used the white ones more and so they are more run in. I also find the white ones more comfortable to go sock less with, as there is one little edge in one of the green ones that rubs slightly.
2015-05-14 6:36 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It blows my mind that a hoka would have so little miles, in comparison to your other shoes though. That's a whole lotta shoe. 

No kidding for 140 bucks.  There was absolutely no treadwear which is unusual for me but the foam had just lost its bounce.  Talked with a number of folks about it and others have seen the same.

2015-05-14 7:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

No kidding for 140 bucks.  There was absolutely no treadwear which is unusual for me but the foam had just lost its bounce.  Talked with a number of folks about it and others have seen the same.

For me it's been one or the other depending on wether the shoe has seen extensive treadmill or road use. There really isn't any in between regardless of the shoe. Also, the treadmill shoes have been thinner and lighter. I did that intentionally as the treadmill helps to absorb some and I wanted to maintain a good feel of what's going on. The Altra One is getting more mileage there from all the fall use and was showing no signs of being worn down. The Saucony Hattori is the one that made around 900. I only stopped using that one because I got tired of how the strap would sit across the top and how the bottom would not really flex how my foot did. As I got faster and ran faster more often it became more of an issue. As far as cushioning goes it actually still felt great. Road use was several models of Kinvaras and several models of Altra Instincts. All of them seemed to break down about the same time for me.

What type of shoe is the Clifton supposed to be? That does seem low unless they're really making it into a racer.

2015-05-15 12:21 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

For me it's been one or the other depending on wether the shoe has seen extensive treadmill or road use. There really isn't any in between regardless of the shoe. Also, the treadmill shoes have been thinner and lighter. I did that intentionally as the treadmill helps to absorb some and I wanted to maintain a good feel of what's going on. The Altra One is getting more mileage there from all the fall use and was showing no signs of being worn down. The Saucony Hattori is the one that made around 900. I only stopped using that one because I got tired of how the strap would sit across the top and how the bottom would not really flex how my foot did. As I got faster and ran faster more often it became more of an issue. As far as cushioning goes it actually still felt great. Road use was several models of Kinvaras and several models of Altra Instincts. All of them seemed to break down about the same time for me.

What type of shoe is the Clifton supposed to be? That does seem low unless they're really making it into a racer.

At 7.7 ounces I think it falls somewhere between a racer and a performance trainer.  I know a lot of folks that race in them, primarily longer distances.  I have a hard time accepting them as a true racer just because of their bulk and lack of flexibility.  I also prefer more offset.  While I have enjoyed them very much especially in light of some minor injuries they do feel a little flat footed compared to some other shoes in my lineup.  They also have a very lightweight trail version of the Clifton called the Challenger ATR which is proving to be a very good shoe.  

2015-05-15 4:43 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
No one fancied taking a stab at critiquing my, um, swimming video, if you can call it that?
Too much going wrong that you don't know where to start :-)

Here's the follow up video done 6 days later (for those that didn't see it on FB).

https://www.facebook.com/darren.richards.58/videos/10153230902094020...

Ref the drone, I think it would be cool if you wanted to try and capture some great outdoorsy type stuff, like PNW trail or Great divide type stuff, but not for races. The video of it looks pretty good: https://www.facebook.com/BestFunnyVideos2013/videos/980229428694340/...

Randy, how is your stomach/acid issues coming along. I stopped taking the protein pump inhibitors a while back, didn't like what I was reading about them. The thing is, I had no issues what so ever while I was away on camp. As soon as I came home, I had one meal before bed, woke up the next day and boom, feels like I have a fist up under my rib cage. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, mashed potatoes, broccoli, pork chops and gravy. The only thing I can think of is the milk in my coffee. Lactose intolerant maybe? While out in France I was drinking cow milk but the non-pasteurized kind. I was still eating cheese though, so that's what is puzzling me. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Maybe I'm allergic to the kids/wife/dog. I may have to start eliminating them, in that order

Ref running drills to correct my overstriding, look what popped up on my FB page yesterday. Perfect timing.
http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/drills-help-fill-out-your...

Before camp, I was carrying out drill 1 on all of my runs. Listening to a 180 bpm music track to get the cadence. I got my cadence up but this has resulted in me running with "feet out back" style of running as the coach described it. I now need to try to implement the higher knees style of running without bringing in over striding whilst keeping my cadence up Should I try drill 2 and 3?
2015-05-15 7:41 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref running drills to correct my overstriding, look what popped up on my FB page yesterday. Perfect timing. http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/drills-help-fill-out-your-form?adbid=10153301253037090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089&cid=socTP_20150514_45731476&short_code=2znvz

Before camp, I was carrying out drill 1 on all of my runs. Listening to a 180 bpm music track to get the cadence. I got my cadence up but this has resulted in me running with "feet out back" style of running as the coach described it. I now need to try to implement the higher knees style of running without bringing in over striding whilst keeping my cadence up Should I try drill 2 and 3?

Maybe. For me, driving the knee better has also come from being able to kick the heel up better, as in bending the knee some more at the back of the stride in the follow through and into the recovery/knee drive start. Some quick heel kicks (or mule kicks maybe?) have helped with that. Chorus line girls can drive their knees high, but the can-canning motion isn't terribly efficient for running.

But even more so, things like these can help develop the ability of some specific areas, but what has really driven development for me was being able to work in the faster running. None of the drills really did all that much to my stride until I began to do that. And do know that this is NOT saying to run yourself into the ground or anything like that!

2015-05-15 8:04 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref running drills to correct my overstriding, look what popped up on my FB page yesterday. Perfect timing. http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/drills-help-fill-out-your-form?adbid=10153301253037090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089&cid=socTP_20150514_45731476&short_code=2znvz

Maybe. For me, driving the knee better has also come from being able to kick the heel up better, as in bending the knee some more at the back of the stride in the follow through and into the recovery/knee drive start. Some quick heel kicks (or mule kicks maybe?) have helped with that. Chorus line girls can drive their knees high, but the can-canning motion isn't terribly efficient for running.

But even more so, things like these can help develop the ability of some specific areas, but what has really driven development for me was being able to work in the faster running. None of the drills really did all that much to my stride until I began to do that. And do know that this is NOT saying to run yourself into the ground or anything like that!

The instructor asked us to do the heel kick drill to see what we'd do. All of us began running on the spot, flicking our heels back to touch our backsides. This, he said was wrong. He then had us touching our heels to our bums but by bending the knees out front. Imagine high knees, but with the foot tucked up with the heel touching your butt instead of hanging from your knee out front.
I think I do what you described whilst doing my strides, kinda accentuating the running. To me, when I do that, it feels more like I'm riding a bike with really big crank arms, if that makes any sense.

2015-05-15 8:25 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Randy, how is your stomach/acid issues coming along. I stopped taking the protein pump inhibitors a while back, didn't like what I was reading about them. The thing is, I had no issues what so ever while I was away on camp. As soon as I came home, I had one meal before bed, woke up the next day and boom, feels like I have a fist up under my rib cage. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, mashed potatoes, broccoli, pork chops and gravy. The only thing I can think of is the milk in my coffee. Lactose intolerant maybe? While out in France I was drinking cow milk but the non-pasteurized kind. I was still eating cheese though, so that's what is puzzling me. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Maybe I'm allergic to the kids/wife/dog. I may have to start eliminating them, in that order

Well I've been on 40mg Omeprezole for about 2 months now and now issues. However, right before I started taking it I had also started eating a banana right before my workouts (rather than on an empty stomach) and I felt better with that too. I have a follow up appt the first week of June. I'm convinced what did it was rolling out of bed and hopping on the trainer (in aero) for up to 90 minutes with no food.

as far as your swim, I'm in NO position to critique And I'd like to go through a similar program to correct some of my bad habits. You may have inspired me to do so soon.

WOO FREAKIN HOO!! We made it to Friday!!!!

First race on Sunday - hope my legs are ready to perform - they don't feel like it! EYE on the bigger prize in August though!

Have a great day all!
2015-05-15 8:28 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
oh PS - someone posted in one of my FB groups:

"what are your fall running plans?"

my response:

"running from the couch to the frige."

2015-05-15 8:50 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

The instructor asked us to do the heel kick drill to see what we'd do. All of us began running on the spot, flicking our heels back to touch our backsides. This, he said was wrong. He then had us touching our heels to our bums but by bending the knees out front. Imagine high knees, but with the foot tucked up with the heel touching your butt instead of hanging from your knee out front.
I think I do what you described whilst doing my strides, kinda accentuating the running. To me, when I do that, it feels more like I'm riding a bike with really big crank arms, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for this guys. I tend to be a long strider (160 cadence). I've tried to up my cadence, but haven't been able to since I didn't know what I was doing. I will look into drills and start implementing them.
2015-05-15 8:57 AM

Master
Northern IL

The instructor asked us to do the heel kick drill to see what we'd do. All of us began running on the spot, flicking our heels back to touch our backsides. This, he said was wrong. He then had us touching our heels to our bums but by bending the knees out front. Imagine high knees, but with the foot tucked up with the heel touching your butt instead of hanging from your knee out front. I think I do what you described whilst doing my strides, kinda accentuating the running. To me, when I do that, it feels more like I'm riding a bike with really big crank arms, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, that does make sense. Out back is more to get the back part going more. Not that different from the high knees. Won't actually be kicking your own arse in the run like you won't actually be driving your knees up above your hip. For me, what the instructor said about the front comes better when I get the back going first. Then for the faster running, I was getting into Daniels repetition work. Basically it takes what you're doing with strides and advances it more. More of them, a bit longer and faster. They are the focus of the workout at this point though whereas strides are more complimentary.

The crank example works too. It's a leverage thing. The rotation is around the hip, so making it easy to get the lower leg up some more means more mass is in closer to the pivot. By doing that it takes less effort to drive it forward. It also gives your leg more freedom of movement to do what it needs up front. When running rather slow it might not come up as much, because the act of driving it that high takes longer with the really short stride. But that's something you learn by putting the pieces together in the actual running.

2015-05-15 10:09 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GOOOOO MANATEE RACERS !!!!!

I must sleep.

Still do read everything in here and big {MELON PRESS} to all!

2015-05-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Another PSA, this time @Chris

Balega Comfort Challenge

Attention Balega fans: Just passing along this opportunity from one of our favorite sock brands.

From May 15 through June 15, post photos illustrating the comfort of Balega socks to Instagram, along with the hashtag #BalegaComfortChallenge for the chance to win a free pair. Balega will be picking one winner per day!

More hastag freebies are available:

<script src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async="" charset="utf-8">
2015-05-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

First off, I know that I am the only one here watching the Giro but -- Hands, can you imagine riding a bike with a dislocated shoulder?  I'm not a Contador fan and this doesn't make me one but geez... (edited with more info:  They say that it is not dislocated any longer but he said yesterday that he dislocated it in the crash and then dislocated it again getting ready to go onto the podium (he's GC leader).  He could not/did not move his left arm at all on the podium and did not put on the jersey offered to him.  I don't know if that is really two dislocations or not.  Also, let point out that an XRay will not show tendon/ligament damage.  They said that he had an XRay.  I have not seen that he had an MRI but maybe he did?)

Edited by jmkizer 2015-05-15 10:43 AM
2015-05-15 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

May 16-17
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Robin - Colfax Half Maraton on Sunday
Janyne - Tour de Cure bike ride (both days)
Kate - Auburn Mini Triathlon on Sunday
Chris - Storm Challenge Tri on Sunday
Randee - Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Stacey - back

May 16 is Yanti's birthday

2015-05-15 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

First off, I know that I am the only one here watching the Giro but -- Hands, can you imagine riding a bike with a dislocated shoulder?  I'm not a Contador fan and this doesn't make me one but geez... (edited with more info:  They say that it is not dislocated any longer but he said yesterday that he dislocated it in the crash and then dislocated it again getting ready to go onto the podium (he's GC leader).  He could not/did not move his left arm at all on the podium and did not put on the jersey offered to him.  I don't know if that is really two dislocations or not.  Also, let point out that an XRay will not show tendon/ligament damage.  They said that he had an XRay.  I have not seen that he had an MRI but maybe he did?)

I'm working on the ToC before I start the Giro but I did see this in Velo News.  Like you, I'm not a fan, but that is some crazy chit! I also like that Sky is letting Richie take the lead on this one!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15833 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28865 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67475 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56087 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.