Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Are people this ignorant? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-03-25 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1292585

Subject: RE: Are people this ignorant?
I suspect there might be a bit of downward spiral built into eating just before bed. I've read that you don't sleep as well when you eat just before bed. I've also read that inadequate sleep may be a contributer to over-eating. Of course, all this stuff is coming from the high priests of science; those guys that claim the earth is flat, no wait, round now or we're headed into an ice age, no wait, global warming, no wait, we had better call it sudden climate change cause we ain't got a real clue.

2008-03-25 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Grayson, Ga.
Speaking for myself only.

I had to have my Thyroid nuked, lots of fun, as my thyroid was hyper or hot.
Your thyroid does control you body quite a bit, and I have felt the effects of a low metabolism.

In my case I took a radio active iodine which slowly killed my thyroid.

At the time of my thyroid was being killed I started my 18 week HIM training program, and I went from an Animal trying not to over train (being way to high on the thyroid) to a normal person, to a lethargic, tired, cool person who whats to sleep.

I have been working out, and eating, you have too, and I've been gaining about 2 lbs a week, even while working out 7-12 hours a week.

I am busting my hump and eating good food and not going crazy (ok, Girl Scout cookies hit the door at a bad time), not eating past 7pm, lots of good stuff.

I've been on a normal level of thyroid hormone for a week now and I am loosing weight now.

But if you know of someone, take some pity because that may not know the reason, it's highly undiagnosed.

Just a simple blood test it all it took, so if you know anyone, tell them to get tested.

Just my 2 cents.

-Brian

2008-03-25 4:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-25 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1293041

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

You're an idiot!Wink

I'm sure I'm one as well.

2008-03-25 4:30 PM

Veteran
Draper, Utah
I see ignorance of this type every day. People today never take any personal responsibility for any aspect of their lives. Every bad thing that happens to someone is ALWAYS someone else's fault. It's why some idiot who drops hot coffee in their lap sues MacDonalds, and why a jury of other idiots awards the first idiot millions of dollars for dropping hot coffee in their own lap. Unforetunately, it seems to be the American way.
2008-03-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1293090

Sensei
Sin City

I know what this thread is about - but don't really care to comment.

BUT it doesn't matter WHAT the issue is.  When you ask "Are people this ignorant?".  The answer is inequivocably "YES". 

People never cease to amaze me with their lack of common sence and stupidty.....  I even surprise myself with my own sometimes!

2008-03-25 4:37 PM

Champion
Butler

I have not read everyone's comments so hopefully I don't duplicate efforts.

But yes, I think alot of people are ignorant when it comes to weight gain/loss.  I was watching TV the other day and they were discussing how obesity has doubled since 1960 (or there about's) and how most overweight people will say it is genetics.  The show's comments were that genetics have not changed that much in 50 years to cause a doubling of obese people if that makes sense.  The genetics come from the fact that your parents taught you to eat like crap and always finish your food, not to stop just because you are hungry.   Now I am not saying that some people lose weight slower than other's I am sure most will agree that is true.  It comes down to willpower and movement.

I have Aunt's that are twins.  Both were well over 300lbs and always claimed they could not lose weight.   Well they both got Gastic Bypass done and lost 160+ lbs.  Why, because they could not eat as much and excercised.  Granted there are people who get GB and gain the weight back as they continue to eat unhealthy so it is possible.  My aunt's will be the first to admit they simply ate too much and did not excercise.

I am far from being overweight.  Would like to lose the love handles, why don't I?  I eat too much crap. I work my butt off training but there are just too many "Junk" foods I like.

2008-03-25 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1292870

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
kanders - 2008-03-25 1:23 PM
marmadaddy - 2008-03-25 3:19 PM
kanders - 2008-03-25 3:55 PM

Rather than being angry about it, can we teach instead?

As somebody who still has a little extra weight to get rid of from having been off for a few months, and who used to have more of it, I can't see this type of stuff without thinking that the anger is misplaced and could be hurtful to some of the true "Beginner triathletes" out there, and make them feel unwelcome. Yeah, it's hard to hear people justify and make excuses, but take your extra energy and put it into motivating and plain talk, not cut downs.

I like what whoever said above about responding to stuff like that with "call me and we can go to the gym." We are facing an epidemic in this country, but it's going to take a lot of positive small steps to get us out of it.

Now this is good stuff.

Complaining is easy. It's not so different from sitting on the couch eating a bag of chips. It's effortless and gives a measure of good feeling, if only for the moment.

Now doing something, like going for a run or making a better food choice, or offering to help or even just having a bit of compassion...those can be hard.

But generally they're worth it.

{Blushing} - Thanks, Mike! You're exactly right -- complaining is easier than mentoring. One of the things I love about BT is that it takes a very open attitude toward everybody - helping them from the place they're at (whether that is rank beginner or highly experienced).

Not only is it easier to complain (or in some cases, mock) it gives us this feeling of self satisfaction and superiority. "I may have problems, but I'm not a lazy fat pig!"

Some of the comments above are just plain nasty. God forbid any of you ever suffer some triple whammy of a serious fitness-limiting injury, along with a catastrophic event that leaves you incapable of being able to workout. Yes, there are still ways to retain a lower weight, but it is a HUGE challenge to go from being able to eat 2300-3000 calories a day to 1500 a day during a time of incapacitation.

I WAS one of those people all y'all were mocking. Did that make you better than me? Am I a better person now because I am fit and 120 pounds? Am I smarter? Do I make a greater contribution to society? No. If anything I find myself slipping into judgmental behaviors. I remember when a fluffy bunny at work who, formerly, wouldn't give me the time of day wanted to be all buddy buddy after I lost weight and became "acceptable" in her eyes. I looked at her with this thought forming behind my lips, "Sweetie. You should have been nicer to me when I was fat. I was MUCH less of a b***c then."

So now I'm fit and slim, and am told I'm not too painful to look at, and in society's eyes I'm a better person. Pretty sad.

One of the things I do with my experience as a formerly morbidly obese couch potato is support current people with a desire to lose weight and no direction. Trust me, Kids, it is NOT easy to look at over 100 lbs to lose and give yourself the old "Well all I have to do is stop supersizing and I'm GOLDEN!" pep talk. Look at how a lot of people here are talking! We get that ALL THE DAMNED TIME! People treat you like you're worthless because you're so fat. You make excuses because it's hard to face the truth. (Raise your hand if you have NEVER made an excuse for bad or inappropriate behavior.) You HEAR how worthless you are both in and out of your head. You can't turn on the TV without it hollering at you that you need to lose weight to be happy. It is OVERWHELMING!

And for some of us it isn't as easy as "stop eating when you're full." What if you never feel "full". I don't. Well, rarely. I go from empty to stuffed with no in-between stages. So even now I still write down everything I eat, measure and weigh my food because that's what I have to do to maintain my health.

I heard a statistic that 80% of Type II diabetes is attributable to lifestyle choices, and 90% of cardiovascular disease (or maybe it's vice versa). That's pretty darned scary if you think about it. WE are the ones who are going to be footing the bill for this medical care, too. So stop mocking and maybe think about what you might do to set a good example and encourage that guy in your office who just maybe isn't ready to make that first step.

2008-03-25 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1292972

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

dave weilacher - 2008-03-25 1:56 PM I suspect there might be a bit of downward spiral built into eating just before bed. I've read that you don't sleep as well when you eat just before bed. I've also read that inadequate sleep may be a contributer to over-eating. Of course, all this stuff is coming from the high priests of science; those guys that claim the earth is flat, no wait, round now or we're headed into an ice age, no wait, global warming, no wait, we had better call it sudden climate change cause we ain't got a real clue.

Depends on the person. I eat fruit and yogurt about 90 min before bed, and cold cereal and peanut butter about 30 min before bed nearly every night. I sleep just fine.

If I don't, I wake in the middle of the night really hungry. Since I count calories, it doesn't impact my weight. I more than burn it off during my two-a-day workouts (5 days a week).  

2008-03-25 4:44 PM

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I have a hypothesis that obesity is melting the glaciers and polar ice caps.  The two trends appear to be highly correlated.  The heavier people are stressing the surface of the planet and causing it to heat.
2008-03-25 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1293027

bmacd - 2008-03-25 4:13 PM

Speaking for myself only.

I had to have my Thyroid nuked, lots of fun, as my thyroid was hyper or hot.
Your thyroid does control you body quite a bit, and I have felt the effects of a low metabolism.

In my case I took a radio active iodine which slowly killed my thyroid.

At the time of my thyroid was being killed I started my 18 week HIM training program, and I went from an Animal trying not to over train (being way to high on the thyroid) to a normal person, to a lethargic, tired, cool person who whats to sleep.

I have been working out, and eating, you have too, and I've been gaining about 2 lbs a week, even while working out 7-12 hours a week.

I am busting my hump and eating good food and not going crazy (ok, Girl Scout cookies hit the door at a bad time), not eating past 7pm, lots of good stuff.

I've been on a normal level of thyroid hormone for a week now and I am loosing weight now.

But if you know of someone, take some pity because that may not know the reason, it's highly undiagnosed.

Just a simple blood test it all it took, so if you know anyone, tell them to get tested.

Just my 2 cents.

-Brian

Another example of someone with an actual medical problem affecting their weight. They exist. It is not always just exercising more and eating less. IMO, we should consider the possibility of a real problem when talking about individuals, while knowing the probability about the general population.

BTW, great post Teechur!!

Edited by eberulf 2008-03-25 4:48 PM

2008-03-25 5:04 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Not only is it easier to complain (or in some cases, mock) it gives us this feeling of self satisfaction and superiority. "I may have problems, but I'm not a lazy fat pig!"

Some of the comments above are just plain nasty. God forbid any of you ever suffer some triple whammy of a serious fitness-limiting injury, along with a catastrophic event that leaves you incapable of being able to workout. Yes, there are still ways to retain a lower weight, but it is a HUGE challenge to go from being able to eat 2300-3000 calories a day to 1500 a day during a time of incapacitation.

I WAS one of those people all y'all were mocking.

One of the things I do with my experience as a formerly morbidly obese couch potato is support current people with a desire to lose weight and no direction. Trust me, Kids, it is NOT easy to look at over 100 lbs to lose and give yourself the old "Well all I have to do is stop supersizing and I'm GOLDEN!" pep talk. Look at how a lot of people here are talking! We get that ALL THE DAMNED TIME! People treat you like you're worthless because you're so fat. You make excuses because it's hard to face the truth. (Raise your hand if you have NEVER made an excuse for bad or inappropriate behavior.) You HEAR how worthless you are both in and out of your head. You can't turn on the TV without it hollering at you that you need to lose weight to be happy. It is OVERWHELMING!

And for some of us it isn't as easy as "stop eating when you're full." What if you never feel "full". I don't. Well, rarely. I go from empty to stuffed with no in-between stages. So even now I still write down everything I eat, measure and weigh my food because that's what I have to do to maintain my health.

I heard a statistic that 80% of Type II diabetes is attributable to lifestyle choices, and 90% of cardiovascular disease (or maybe it's vice versa). That's pretty darned scary if you think about it. WE are the ones who are going to be footing the bill for this medical care, too. So stop mocking and maybe think about what you might do to set a good example and encourage that guy in your office who just maybe isn't ready to make that first step.

Tory... I think the point of the OP was that there are so many people out there... who are obese, who don't know that diet and exercise can help them.

I think that's what he was mocking.

I watch a lot of shows where people are taught how to eat right, and it's sad to say, but a lof them don't understand that eating 3,000 calories a day isn't good. They also don't understand that eating out all the time and going to the drive thru's on a regular basis is what is contributing to them being overweight.

Yes, to some of us... it's like... DUH! And I think that was the point of the OP.

Kind of like the story I told. A teenager wanted lipo to fix her problems... so she could be skinny. She didn't want to eat vegetables, eat healthy, or exercise. She just wanted lipo. And her Mom supported her 100% versus helping her to learn how to eat right.

Also, I'm 125 pounds and I've never had a weight problem, but unless I'm in full on training mode, I still have to watch all the calories I consume. I can't just eat what I want and not gain any weight. Just because someone is thin, or they haven't had significant weight loss, doesn't mean that they don't have to monitor everything they eat.

Finally... congratulations! You are a wonderful success story! AMAZING! I am in awe of people who can take control of their health and their lives. I find it very sad that so many people in America are killing themselves with food these days. It's very sad. But I think for many of them, counseling might be the answer to get to the root of their issues with food.

2008-03-25 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1293157

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
KSH - 2008-03-25 5:04 PM

Tory... I think the point of the OP was that there are so many people out there... who are obese, who don't know that diet and exercise can help them.

I think that's what he was mocking.

And that makes it okay?
2008-03-25 5:23 PM

Sensei
Sin City

KSH - 2008-03-25 3:04 PM 

A teenager wanted lipo to fix her problems... so she could be skinny. She didn't want to eat vegetables, eat healthy, or exercise. She just wanted lipo. And her Mom supported her 100% versus helping her to learn how to eat right. 

I REALLY didn't want to get in the middle of this, but I think you bring up an interesting point.  In this town I see a LOT of plastic surgery going on to make people look better.  Mostly boob jobs and collagen lips.  Sometimes I make the comment that if they used the 5 to 6 thousand on a trainer and a diet plan to lose 30 lbs instead of some silicon boobs, they would make MUCH better improvements to their looks AND health.

The problem is not the money though.  It also takes work.  Something I see too many people are not willing to do.  No matter WHAT it is.  We buy more speed in triathlon if we can.  We buy more distance on a golf course with the latest, most expensive drivers.  We buy pills to lose weight or dangerous gastric bypass surgery (to some, this is the only way.  I just hope doctors are diligent when determining that).  I'm guessing that many plastic surgeons are too quick to take the money and run and give someone a procedure rather than talk about healthier options - such as training and/or dieting.

But it's not for me to judge.  If it's in someone's head that fake boobs or lips will make them better looking or more confident with their appearance (even if they are 30 lbs over weight), it doesn't matter what I think.  BTW, I'm not opposed to fakes in any way (kind of like them), but some people take the quick and easy way to getting attention IMO.

2008-03-25 5:37 PM

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY

Tory... I think the point of the OP was that there are so many people out there... who are obese, who don't know that diet and exercise can help them. I think that's what he was mocking.

I don't know that I would read the OP's remark so generously.  The entire presentation of the conversation indicates the OP was mocking, as opposed to observing, his coworkers weight battle.

Nonetheless, I think Tory made an excellent point that is applicable even on a charitable reading of the OP.  Several of the comments in this thread seemed to reiterate that the struggle to lose weight via exercise and diet is a no-brainer - a "duh" type decision.  I think this is what many people who have struggled to control their weight will (rightfully so) find offensive.  As Tory so eloquently explained it, maintaining a healthy weight is not a "no brainer" for everyone.  To make matters worse, many seem to find this surprising even though over-eating is just one of the many ways a person can exercise poor judgment with regards to their health.  For example, given the plethora of information available regarding the dangers of cigarette smoking, a healthy "no smoke" lifestyle would seem to be a "no brainer" yet the tobacco companies continue to do well.

The OP wasn't harmless fun - it was the sort of comment that might make someone who is already unhappy with their weight even more self conscious of their problem.  This, in turn, may even make them less likely (or capable) of addressing it.

I was just commenting to some friends recently how remarkably civil the BT forums were and how unusually helpful and friendly everyone seemed to be regardless of their skill level.  I really hope posts like the OP are the exception rather than the rule.

2008-03-25 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1293102

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
kproudfoot - 2008-03-25 2:37 PM

I was watching TV the other day and they were discussing how obesity has doubled since 1960 (or there about's) and how most overweight people will say it is genetics. The show's comments were that genetics have not changed that much in 50 years to cause a doubling of obese people if that makes sense. The genetics come from the fact that your parents taught you to eat like crap and always finish your food, not to stop just because you are hungry.

Actually, there's an interesting theory on this. No, our genetics hasn't changed in the past 50 years, but our food climate has changed dramatically, especially with regards to processed food. The theory (and obviously, it's just a theory, so who knows) is that there are chemicals, high fructose corn syrup for example, in processed foods that trigger reactions in some people that make them physically addicted to certain types of foods. So, in theory, you've got thousands (millions!) of people eating processed food and becoming physically addicted to it -- not in the sense of, 'Wow, I really want a donut right now,' but a physical craving that can be overwhelming. We're talking addiction on the level of nicotine. These people might have always had genes that predisposed them to this addiction, but before these foods became widely available, they never knew it.

Anyway, who knows if it's true or not, although I can definitely say from experience that if I get in the habit of eating fast food a couple times a week, it is *hard* to stop. Imagine if McDonald's French fries were as hard to quit as cigarettes? It's not wonder some people have such a terrible time eating right. I do think there is a great deal of ignorance about diet and exercise in this country, but I also think that losing weight and living healthy is extremeley difficult for many people, and I don't blame them for turning to denial from time to time.

2008-03-25 5:59 PM

Pro
MAC-opolis

I would humbly suggest that in those situations one may choose compassion when hearing such things rather than silent judgment which, when you boil it all down, serves no other purpose than to feed the self delusion that "I" or "We" are in some way better than someone else because we look, act, think or believe differently....which I would argue is equally as ignorant as the overweight person's comments.

Just my .02

2008-03-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1292680

Expert
WV

wgraves7582 - It is time for doctors to start taking responsibility for their patients and talking the truth to them and explaining to them what type of danger they are in if they continue to eat like they do, drink like they do, smoke like they do, and do no exercise at the end of the day! All this PC crap is way overboard. The truth hurts, but guess what - it is the truth. Rant Off!

I agree to some extent but the ultimate responsibility needs to fall back on the patient or individual.  Health care can prescibe all they want but patient compliance is out of their hands.  We as consumers need to be held more accountable for our health.  I have a BIL the is cholesterol prone, borderline hypertensive, and borderline diabetic.  His MD suggested he lose weight, lower his stress, etc...   MD put him in touch with a nutritionist and personal trainer.  I have given him many of the basic textsbooks I have been sent or no longer use on nutrition and health/wellness, Rather, than follow the plan outlined by health professionals he has decided to continue on his path no overeating and no exercise.  His plans is to get heavy enough to qualify for gastric by-pass.    Easy way out.  Or so he thinks. 

I read somewhere the cost of health care was $36.5 billion on obesity-linked illnesses in 2002.  This was up from $3.6 billion in 1987.   Yes there is a time gap but holy cow!!  Also, in 1962 the obesity rate was 13% and now some estimate the rate is 64%.   Again, holy cow.  People will say it's their right to eat as much as they want and not anything.  True it is.  But, then you shouldn't be able benefit financially, so to speak, as a result of your choices.

I believe people are uninformed when it comes to dealing with their body.  An owners manual should come with it.  But, our bodies take care of themselves.  Many feel there is no need to learn how to take care of it because of that.   We do not have time or funding to educate our youth adequately about healthy bodies.  As I have found in the health and wellness classes I teach (college aged and older), many people know cars, computers, software, etc.. inside out and re-educate themselves time and time again to stay current.  But, are so misinformed and undereducated about something they only get one version of. 

I can empathize with being overweight.  I was 50# overweight at one point in my life.  I had no idea how to exercise or eat but I read everything I could.  I lost 55# at that time.  I did gain a little back during grad school but am working to loose it.  The reading I did actually sent me in a different career and lifestyle direction.  All this because I took the initiative to educate myself to improve my quality of life.

2008-03-25 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1293211

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Well, I have to get into the fray as I'm pretty passionate about this topic. There really is so much more to this than food in, food out. I'd suggest reading a book called Rethinking Thin. Very interesting research done by a NYTimes science editor.

In Re the comment: " but our food climate has changed dramatically, especially with regards to processed food"

Amen to that, I have a theory -- eat only real food. no Low fat mumbo jumbo, etc. Why is it my grandma would eat REAL butter on a HAM sandwich, lived to 88 and was tiny tiny? Or my other grandma who lived to 97 who did the same and imbibed in a nip of alcohol every night, ate fully salted foods, etc.

My mother has been obese my entire life -- probably why I'm such an exercise food freak. There's so much more to obesity than just the food. Anyone morbidly obese (like my mom, who's amazingly losing at 71 and exercising!) has deeper issues to resolve, IMHO.

No one knows, really, what's behind someone's obesity. I remember when I hadn't seen Jerry Lewis for awhile and, I too had the judgmental "boy he sure porked out" and someone told me he'd been on steroids for a medical condition.

I think some have hit the nail on the head for some though, that it's just not easy so why bother. It's why I weigh myself religiously (1-3x a week). soon the 10 lb. weight gain becomes comfortable. then another 10lbs. then another. Before you know it, you're 50 lbs overweight.

Everyone has their own story. All I know -- or presume to know, is I'm guessing some of the obese folks mocked would change places with a fit triathlete in a minute.
2008-03-25 8:01 PM

Veteran
I agree so much with several of these posts . . .

That food has changed so much in the past 50 years.

That nutritional information today is closer to vodoo than science. So many things are repeated so many times that they become fact.

This whole idea that we need to eat 6-8 small meals a day or our metabolism will slow has no science behind it, but it is beyond question to so many. We did not graze years ago when we were much thinner.

Some of my thoughts (no more fact than anything else):
We are NOT overweight because we do not eat often enough
or because we eat too late at night
or because of poor nutrient timing
The list goes on.

We eat too much calorie dense food. We eat too much fake and processed food. We move too little
All the rest is noise.
2008-03-25 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1293417

Massachusetts
indygreg - 2008-03-25 8:01 PM

I agree so much with several of these posts . . .

That food has changed so much in the past 50 years.

That nutritional information today is closer to vodoo than science. So many things are repeated so many times that they become fact.

This whole idea that we need to eat 6-8 small meals a day or our metabolism will slow has no science behind it, but it is beyond question to so many. We did not graze years ago when we were much thinner.

Some of my thoughts (no more fact than anything else):
We are NOT overweight because we do not eat often enough
or because we eat too late at night
or because of poor nutrient timing
The list goes on.

We eat too much calorie dense food. We eat too much fake and processed food. We move too little
All the rest is noise.

I'm curious...why do you think there is no validity behind all the techniques you've mentioned above (and just for clarify, the goal of eating 6-8 smaller meals a day is certainly not to slow metabolism, as that would be entirely counterproductive)?

I have read numerous studies on these techniques. I've practiced them myself and been completely successful with them. I've spoken with nutritionists, personal trainers and other food experts whose base techniques all seem to revolve around what has been outlined above. I also know a number of other individuals who have had the same success with it. So why, in all your experimentation or research, would you write off these techniques as invalid?

They're just techniques, not laws. It works for many, but may not work for all. Is it the only way to eat? No. But it's definitely not a bad way, and it's certainly a better way than most average Americans eat.

Edited by dogfacedgremlin34 2008-03-25 8:29 PM

2008-03-25 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1293224

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Big Sexy - 2008-03-25 6:59 PM

I would humbly suggest that in those situations one may choose compassion when hearing such things rather than silent judgment which, when you boil it all down, serves no other purpose than to feed the self delusion that "I" or "We" are in some way better than someone else because we look, act, think or believe differently....which I would argue is equally as ignorant as the overweight person's comments.

Just my .02

I agree that it would be nice to choose compassion.  Honestly, the only problem I have with (somewhat blindly) showing compassion for the guy discussed in the OP is, what am I supposed to have compassion for?  For the fact that he weighs 350 pounds?   If so, is that how obese people want me to view them, in general?  With compassion/pity? 

I don't know enough about the guy mentioned in the post to know if he is ignorant, or not, but OTOH, I don't just automatically feel compassion for someone who is overweight, also because I don't know enough about him and why he is that way. 

I was never obese, but I did lose 50 pounds in a year through self-discipline, nothing else.  I didn't look at myself with "compassion" when I was overweight.  I honestly looked at myself like, "you lazy POS.  Get up off the couch, stop eating so much, and do something about this." 

2008-03-25 8:30 PM

Master
St. Louis
Whoa... stepped away from this thread for a couple hours and it grew by 2 pages!

It must have hit a nerve with others, cause it definitely did for me. I hear things like this everyday, and it isnt always just about eating and weight gain. I hear people say, "Oh I could never be this or that profession.. im not smart enough.. " etc... Its an interesting thing that people do, put themselves down in a way to externalize the problem instead of just dealing with the issue at hand.
2008-03-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1293447

Veteran
dogfacedgremlin34 - 2008-03-25 9:17 PM

I'm curious...why do you think there is no validity behind all the techniques you've mentioned above (and just for clarify, the goal of eating 6-8 smaller meals a day is certainly not to slow metabolism, as that would be entirely counterproductive)?

I have read numerous studies on these techniques. I've practiced them myself and been completely successful with them. I've spoken with nutritionists, personal trainers and other food experts whose base techniques all seem to revolve around what has been outlined above. I also know a number of other individuals who have had the same success with it. So why, in all your experimentation or research, would you write off these techniques as invalid?

They're just techniques, not laws. It works for many, but may not work for all. Is it the only way to eat? No. But it's definitely not a bad way, and it's certainly a better way than most average Americans eat.

I do not think eating 6-8 is bad in any way. I simply think there is no science behind what is presented as the #1 reason for doing so - that if we go several hours between eating our metabolism will slow down. I think that is nonsense.
It can be a great way of eating! Many have great success doing it. If it works for you or anyone, keep doing it. Personally I gained a good deal of weight trying to do this, but for me it made me hungry every minute of the day (which does NOT always equal a fast metabolism) and for ME it was too many chances to eat a bit too much. That is an issue I have. I eat too fast and can consume more than I want in a blink of an eye. I never ever ever felt even 20% full doing this.
I am not alone with this. I have always said there is no 1 way and we are all different. I try a lot of things and say 'is this working?' For me, that did not, so I do not do it.
To say again, I do not think the eat often is in any way bad nutritional advice. I just think people consider some of its alleged benefits to be fact when they are not. You can find studies out there that point to some fasting as having some similar benefits . . . so like so much of the advice out there we can find near science that proves opposite things.

Please do not take my above as saying I am right and you are wrong. All should do what works and cut what does not.
2008-03-25 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1293498

Massachusetts
indygreg - 2008-03-25 8:38 PM

dogfacedgremlin34 - 2008-03-25 9:17 PM

I do not think eating 6-8 is bad in any way. I simply think there is no science behind what is presented as the #1 reason for doing so - that if we go several hours between eating our metabolism will slow down. I think that is nonsense.
It can be a great way of eating! Many have great success doing it. If it works for you or anyone, keep doing it. Personally I gained a good deal of weight trying to do this, but for me it made me hungry every minute of the day (which does NOT always equal a fast metabolism) and for ME it was too many chances to eat a bit too much. That is an issue I have. I eat too fast and can consume more than I want in a blink of an eye. I never ever ever felt even 20% full doing this.
I am not alone with this. I have always said there is no 1 way and we are all different. I try a lot of things and say 'is this working?' For me, that did not, so I do not do it.
To say again, I do not think the eat often is in any way bad nutritional advice. I just think people consider some of its alleged benefits to be fact when they are not. You can find studies out there that point to some fasting as having some similar benefits . . . so like so much of the advice out there we can find near science that proves opposite things.

Please do not take my above as saying I am right and you are wrong. All should do what works and cut what does not.

Great response and good insight. I think your last sentence pretty much sums up everything we've been debating for the last two pages. The trick, of course, is initially finding that thing that works.

Edited by dogfacedgremlin34 2008-03-25 8:46 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Are people this ignorant? Rss Feed  

of 5