Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-03-25 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1292585

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Are people this ignorant?

We are ALL ignorant...just in dfferent areas.

~Mike

2008-03-25 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
which is a phrase I say every day - and I believe.
2008-03-25 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1293027

Extreme Veteran
bmacd - 2008-03-25 3:13 PM

But if you know of someone, take some pity because that may not know the reason, it's highly undiagnosed.

This is just not true. And a lot of people use they "gland" condition as a crutch to be fat. I have 14 years in the medical field and can tell you that there are few people that have a thyroid issue that is severe enough to put them in the fridge 24 hours a day
2008-03-25 10:12 PM
in reply to: #1293574

User image

Master
St. Louis
Rogillio - 2008-03-25 9:07 PM

We are ALL ignorant...just in dfferent areas.

~Mike

Well thats about the stupidest comment I have ever heard
2008-03-25 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

And, once again, the obligatory fat rant against fat people, who after all, should just "eat right and exercise."

Yeah, that's an easy target cause you know, if you've eaten too much at some point in your life, your sins are displayed for the world to see right there on your hips.  Yeah, for some, it's as easy as start moving more, eat a little less.  Easy to say, VERY hard to do.  For some, that's all they need for others it's a long hard battle and rants against fat people aren't very helpful.  So many different ways the OP could have said what was on his mind without being insulting, rude and hurtful.  Well.

And congrats to the doctors who actually help with this problem.  You know what most doctors say?  NOTHING!!!  No help, no nothing.  Eat right and exercise.  Yeah, what if I already do?  Then what? Nothing, that's what.  Go have the DA** GB surgery, give yourself possible death, possible health problems for the rest of your life.  And oh by the way, pay us $60,000 to do it.  Sorry, rather be fat.

We have an obesity problem in this country we also have an education problem of helping people to figure out what they need to do to be successful at it.  On the one hand, it's "eat right, eat fresh, exercise."  On the other, "Here have this Big Mac, This pizza, this ice cream."  Have you looked at the commercials lately?  Let me tell you they're not advertising celery and lettuce.  And yeah, it's easy to say ignore that.  But that, for a LOT of people (regular people) is very, very difficult.  You have to be a label reader as well and educated, and have the TIME to figure it all out.  Do you know how much stuff has added sugar in it?  I went to the store to get canned tomatoes.  Easy you say.  There was one brand.  ONE without added sugar.  Sad.

Let me tell just say that anyone who is fat KNOWS they are fat, and have probably tried more than once to lose weight.  Maybe not the best way, or the right way, but I would be willing to bet that they have TRIED.  And failed - and at some point given up, cause it's really, really hard to keep on trying when the scale doesn't move and you feel like you're really, really doing your best.  So, you try not to think about it, and you try not to let it affect your life.  And you really try not to hate people who are all so judgemental about it, like it's just a matter of willpower, or discipline or whatever. 

2008-03-25 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I think while there are those people with their head in the sand (they do exist but I would venture to say they are in the minority) those who saying they have tried everything and nothing works aren't REALLY saying nothing works... From my experience lots of people find limited success with programs... short term... but the problem is the forces they are fighting against are SO strong that most people end up back tracking.

It's HARD not to feel helpless and hopeless when you've been through these cycles a number of times. The problem is everyone has just a slightly different reason why programs work for them long term or not.

It IS just as easy as eat right and exercise, but OH my god it's just so not about that in the end. Doing those things will get you there... but finding how to make that work for you is a complex puzzle.

I'm one of the lucky ones as I think I'm finally figuring it out... but if I didn't spent the last 15 years as an obese person because I was ignorant. I know a heck of a lot more about nutrition and exercise then your average person.

-muse

2008-03-25 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
I took my seven year old lab to the doc today, got a bitchin lecture about her being 85lbs instead of her ideal 80lbs, if we allowed our doctors to put us in out places things could change. But people want to live in that wonderul river in Egypt.

I had someone tell me today at the gym that they could never get down to my weight because they aren't built that way. I held back the brutally honesty gene and just said that I would imagine they could win the superbowl if they wanted to, but doing something hard that you don't wat to do, is the best way to not do it.

But then again I know bigger folks that are healthier than the LA skinny folks, because of the different mentality. The only eat a carrot and ice cubes to fit into this size zero, never seen the inside of a gym, and 105lbs and 30% body fat kind. I'd rather carry around 30% because I love food so much, but also workout enough that my weight holds that point.

It's all about being honest with your self, if you have to ask if this comes in a larger size, or if this brand of britches runs "small", or "do I look fat in these sweats", you do look fat, you are fat, and you can either except that and be a happy fat person, or flat the river of denial.

Kinda like the occasional beggar sign that says, "I won't lie, I need beer money", they except their reality and go with it.

You really want to lose weight, do what the wrestlers do, burn a billion calories in every way possible for hours and hours on end. Committment is what makes changes. It is hard to gain a pound of fat, that's 3500 calories above what you burn, so if it's hard to put on, it ain't gonna fall off.

Edited by ZekeB 2008-03-25 10:53 PM
2008-03-26 5:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-26 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1294008

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
PennState - 2008-03-26 5:56 AM

Once again, I see a lot of judgmentalism going on.

1. People judging the fat guy.
2. Overweight people judging the OP.
3. And a few people judging physicians... because apparently it's their responsibility to fix their obesity problem?

I guess we all accomplished what we wanted with this post
(My only judgement here is that this post should have been in COJ)

Actually, you also judged/made some assumptions in your #2.  Some of the people who took issue with the OP were a)not overweight and b)not judging him, but felt that compassion and education would be a better route.

Just sayin'.

Edited by kanders 2008-03-26 6:54 AM
2008-03-26 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1293417

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

indygreg - 2008-03-25 9:01 PM This whole idea that we need to eat 6-8 small meals a day or our metabolism will slow has no science behind it, but it is beyond question to so many.

Actually .......

On one of those "how does it work" science shows they have on cable they took a large group of wilderness fire fighters and did a test by giving two separate groups the same food "packet" with the same calories and everything and had one group eat their lunch at noon all at once, and the other with spacing it out over the whole period in small meals and then got their observations of how they felt and energy levels.  Without fail, every single firefighter that was on the plan where the food was spread said they never got tired, and felt pretty much the same level of energy all day.  The ones that ate just a regular lunch were hungry and a little tired before lunch and were really draggy after lunch.

2008-03-26 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1292647

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
morey1 - 2008-03-25 3:20 PM

Seriously... is it true? Has America lost all sense of rationality?

I don't disagree with you, but they're just rationalizing. Very powerful human emotion. They know they're in the tank and they're just verbalizing some excuses that they know on some level are BS, but make them feel better.

For EG, I'm virtually addicted to a 20 oz. Mountain Dew in the morning. I gave it up for lent. Went smooth. As Easter Sunday approached, I could hear the "addiction" talking in my head, working out all kinds of scenarios why I can/deserve/should have a few MDs again. Were I with another MD drinker, I'd probably say them out loud, despite how stupid they sound.

MDs are great. They are the original "Energy Drink". Heaven is filled with MD, Reese's Fast Breaks, and Beef Jerky. Any time you want to talk about the greatness of MD or sit around and drink a couple of liters, just let me know. I'm your man.

SuzanneS

I love that the SC person corrected the Y'all.

2008-03-26 8:00 AM
in reply to: #1294037

2008-03-26 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1294125

Veteran
Daremo - 2008-03-26 8:42 AM

indygreg - 2008-03-25 9:01 PM This whole idea that we need to eat 6-8 small meals a day or our metabolism will slow has no science behind it, but it is beyond question to so many.

Actually .......

On one of those "how does it work" science shows they have on cable they took a large group of wilderness fire fighters and did a test by giving two separate groups the same food "packet" with the same calories and everything and had one group eat their lunch at noon all at once, and the other with spacing it out over the whole period in small meals and then got their observations of how they felt and energy levels.  Without fail, every single firefighter that was on the plan where the food was spread said they never got tired, and felt pretty much the same level of energy all day.  The ones that ate just a regular lunch were hungry and a little tired before lunch and were really draggy after lunch.

And again I say that there is no real science behind the claim that your metabolism will slow down if you go several hours without eating, as is so often claimed by those preaching.
Many may feel more energy and less crashing with eating more often, that is great. Others will feel most alert when in a fasted state. I stand firmly that there are a lack of facts in all this and there probably always will be. We are not machines.

I personally believe that the eat every few hours information has largely been driven by those that make and sell food, supplements, etc. But that is a bias I am admitting too.

There are a billion variables here, but 40 years ago, we never grazed. People ate 2-3 meals a day. Places were not serving food from 5am until 1am. Now I am the first to agree that back then portion sizes were reasonable, food was less processed, people ate at home more, etc.

2008-03-26 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1292783

Elite
San Jose, CA
kanders - 2008-03-25 12:55 PM

Rather than being angry about it, can we teach instead?

As somebody who still has a little extra weight to get rid of from having been off for a few months, and who used to have more of it, I can't see this type of stuff without thinking that the anger is misplaced and could be hurtful to some of the true "Beginner triathletes" out there, and make them feel unwelcome.  Yeah, it's hard to hear people justify and make excuses, but take your extra energy and put it into motivating and plain talk, not cut downs. 

I like what whoever said above about responding to stuff like that with "call me and we can go to the gym."  We are facing an epidemic in this country, but it's going to take a lot of positive small steps to get us out of it. 

Thank you...I was thinking the same thing.  Everyone here is pretty much correct.  He is in denial, and he does want to loose weight super fast, and possibly he is that ignorant, because he didn't have anyone teach him proper health, even in school.  It is so much easier to live with yourself, if you can convince yourself that it isn't your fault.  Deep down, you know it isn't true...but it allows you to live in the rut your in.  It takes someone to step in and help out to get them to get out of that rut!  But remember...food to him, may be like drugs or alcohol to someone else.  It could be like an addiction...even giving him a high after eating. 

As for metabolism, it is partially genetic, but partially environmental.  He most certainly does have a slow metabolism, because he isn't regularly working out, but he could also have a hard time loosing weight.  An example of this, my SO recently lost 50 lbs.  he did this by switching to diet soda.  He does not workout, he still eats fast food and cookies.  I do not.  I workout a bit...I try as hard as I can to watch what I eat...I am having a very difficult time loosing weight.  I have other friends who cannot gain weight...yet they do not workout and they eat ice cream for breakfast. 

2008-03-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1293574

New user

Great topic...might be COJ stuff, but great thread nonetheless.

I feel like I have a personal connection with this one. as a 18 YO HS graduate, I was 6'2" and 190 lbs with around 8% BF. Within TWO MONTHS of being in college, I was at over 220 lbs. Why? Becasue I ate processed food 3 times a day and drank a 12 pack of beer daily. Man, that was the life. No exercise either other than chasing skirt. I tried to work out some, but never consistently because I could never lose any weight. Why? Because I didn't change my diet. I maintained weight while working out and slowed down the gain, but because my diet was soooo ad, working out did nothinf for me.

By the time I graduated college, I weighed over 250. I'd try some of the fad diets (Atkins, South beach, etc.) and would have good results in the first two weeks but would give up because I couldn't maintain odd eating habits like that. It was then that I realized, I literally had NO idea how the body worked and why weight gain was so easy and weight loss was so hard. I had gone through 18 years of schooling, gotten a BS and a MBA but had NEVER had a single class on nutrition. I set out to learn as much as I could on my own, all the while, still eating like french fries and cheeseburgers weren't going to be made tomorrow.

It took me getting to 269 lbs to say, "F-it. I'm tired of this s--t." My obesity was linked directly to laziness and ignorance. It took me seeking out the answers myself, to find out what I should do. Diet alone doesn't do it. Working out alone doesn't do it. Joining the two and creating a healthy lifestyle DOES do it.

I guess thw whole point of the post is that sometimes, people really just don't know what it takes to get fit. If we would spend more time and effort in educating people about the downfalls of processed food and teach "Burn more than you consume" than trying to find a way to "instantly shed 20 lbs" our society would be in much better shape. I mean that literally and figuratively.

I'm now down to sub-230 and 16% BF. I know I still have a long way to go to get back down to my goal weight, but I realize that it won't happen in 30 days. Hell, I don't want it to. The journey there is the fun part.
2008-03-26 8:38 AM

Veteran

2008-03-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1294252

2008-03-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1294210

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

indygreg - 2008-03-26 9:20 AM And again I say that there is no real science behind the claim that your metabolism will slow down if you go several hours without eating, as is so often claimed by those preaching. Many may feel more energy and less crashing with eating more often, that is great. Others will feel most alert when in a fasted state. I stand firmly that there are a lack of facts in all this and there probably always will be. We are not machines. I personally believe that the eat every few hours information has largely been driven by those that make and sell food, supplements, etc. But that is a bias I am admitting too. There are a billion variables here, but 40 years ago, we never grazed. People ate 2-3 meals a day. Places were not serving food from 5am until 1am. Now I am the first to agree that back then portion sizes were reasonable, food was less processed, people ate at home more, etc.

I never made any sort of claim.  I was not specifically saying anything about metabolism, I was merely pointing out the science show that seemed to indicate through their field test that people that ate the same amount of calories/nutrition spread out over the day instead of one big meal in the middle had a more consistent feeling of energy levels than those that at the one meal.

The last statement is the key.  As has been mentioned we are now a country of get it big, get it fast, get it cheap, get it sweet.  None of those things are conducive to proper weight management.  And unless the people are already burning 2,000+ calories in a workout, they cannot eat like they are and not expect to gain weight.  I think that is where the "ignorant" comes into play.

I correlate it to what we often see on the boards here.

"I hate swimming.  No matter what I do I can't get faster or better."

"How often do you swim and what are your typical wokouts?"

"Well, I go to the pool once a week and swim for about 300 yards as fast as I can, and it is never faster and I can't breathe, so I stop."

"And???"

"Well, why am I not getting faster!!  I hate swimming!!"

2008-03-26 8:58 AM

Veteran
we are on the same page Daremo, that is for sure.

A very telling phrase I sometimes quote:
"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that
they trade what they want most for what they want at the
moment.

This is why we are fatter. This is why we have a negative savings rate. It is out of control in the US. Bigger is better. Now is better than later.
2008-03-26 9:13 AM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I'm another person in the hypothyroid camp.  In my case, I have an autoimmune disease that destroyed my thyroid gland on its own.  I gained about 30 pounds in the past 3 years even though I was try training and eating a healthy diet (fewer calories eaten than burned every day). 

Now that it is under control, it's not like the weight magically disappears either.  I still have to work and exercise and continue to eat healthy.  It's just that I now have the ability to actually lose it.  My metabolism is working like a normal person again.  

I still get frustrated when I hear people complain about not being able to lose weight.  I've been in the situation where I couldn't do it no matter what I did, but I also didn't go to McDonald's and order super sized extra value meals.  I've seen people complain about being fat while eating donuts or something.  They don't usually want to hear that it's food or exercise that can change things.  I try to tell people how I've lost weight (about 15 pounds so far this year) when they ask and seem interested, but they say "that's way too much work".  Yes, I'm an extreme and I point out that they could get away with a lot less exercise than I do.

I try not to judge, but it can be hard when I get to know people who consistently eat very poorly and don't exercise, but then complain that they can't lose weight.   

2008-03-26 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Ahhh You Americans .... You are all fat in the worlds eyes...... J/K

2008-03-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1294008

Master
St. Louis
PennState - 2008-03-26 5:56 AM

Once again, I see a lot of judgmentalism going on.

1. People judging the fat guy.
2. Overweight people judging the OP.
3. And a few people judging physicians... because apparently it's their responsibility to fix their obesity problem?

I guess we all accomplished what we wanted with this post
(My only judgement here is that this post should have been in COJ)

COJ doesnt generate as much discussion... thats why I posted it here... just FYI.

Judging goes on .. its a fact of life, if you say you dont judge people, or dont think people should judge other people.... you are in fact judging the people who are doing the judging. So thats just a moot point.

What my original post shows is that the person instinctively KNOWS what he is doing wrong, and in two consecutive sentences contradicted himself.

I am VERY proud of the overweight people who have come onto this forum and have taken an active role in their health. They have accepted the fact they have a personal responsibility to get healthy, and arent leaving it to the doctor to prescribe an anti-fat pill.

There are so many resources nowadays, with the internet, to educate one self on diet and exercise. Granted, view 20 different sites and get 20 different opinions. The common theme is going to be eat less and exercise. I understand that the knowledge isnt always the main part... its support, and willpower too. I just dont like hearing "its not my fault.. my metabolism is just slow." Thats simply not the case in most situations.
2008-03-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1294210

Massachusetts
indygreg - 2008-03-26 8:20 AM

There are a billion variables here, but 40 years ago, we never grazed. People ate 2-3 meals a day. Places were not serving food from 5am until 1am. Now I am the first to agree that back then portion sizes were reasonable, food was less processed, people ate at home more, etc.

As you mentioned in previous posts, the "billion variables" are likely the key as to why there is such an obesity explosion in the US within the last 40 years. So, at risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, here's a few of those variables that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. OVERLY PROCESSED FOODS - 40 or so years ago, sodas and other "junk"-type food used sugar as sweeter. Now, primarily because of cost consideration, high fructose corn syrup in the sweetener of choice. In the human body, HFCS interacts strangely--more strangely than sugar would--when metabolizing. That's why I wasn't surprised by the poster who wrote that her SO lost 50 lbs. just by switching to diet soda. The HFCS--essentially a chemical, as far as the body is concerned--was eliminated, as were about 200 cals per serving. Other items impacting this section include and overabundance of Sodium in most processed foods, and (until recently) the use of Trans Fats in many foods.

2. THE GENERAL AVAILABILITY OF UNHEALTHY FOODS - To paraphrase an old saying, in most places in America, you can't throw a rock and not come close to hitting a fast food joint. The saturation of these franchises, combined with the constant deluge of advertising promoting these relatively unhealthy foods and an excessive serving size, has made it far to convenient and easy to make the wrong choices in America.

3. THE WAY PEOPLE GET FROM POINT A TO POINT B IN THE US - America is unique in the respect that it was built around the assumption that folks would use and could use an automobile to get them anywhere. In turn, people tend to use their car to drive themselves 1/4 mile down the street to pick up a gallon of milk.

As it pertains to 1-3, there's an interesting phenomenon I've observed from spending a good amount of time in the UK. When I first went overseas in 2000, the obesity rate in the UK was nothing even close to the US. Other observations included the fact that UK processed sweets didn't rely on HFCS, and fast food joints--though not exactly rare--were not nearly as prevalent as they were in the US. Also, in general, people walked much more than their American counterparts, because it is a country that is pretty dense, and conducive to walking more than driving.

Fast forward eight years, and I can see the beginnings of an obesity epidemic taking over the UK. What changed? Well, based on my own observations, there's seems to be a lot more fast food joints popping up all over the place. Also, serving sized in restaurants seem to have increased (not to the obscene levels of America, but not too far off). An interesting thing though is the fact that the general activity level--especially in regards of how people get from point A to point B--doesn't seem to have fluctuated at all.

Just an observation/guess, but, if I had to rely on my UK experience, I'd suspect that the food that we eat has slightly more to do with the obesity explosion that the overall activity level. Of course, the two often are part and parcel.

Edited by dogfacedgremlin34 2008-03-26 9:36 AM
2008-03-26 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1294374

Elite
San Jose, CA

ranger5oh - 2008-03-26 7:18 AM I understand that the knowledge isnt always the main part... its support, and willpower too. I just dont like hearing "its not my fault.. my metabolism is just slow." Thats simply not the case in most situations.

I understand your frustration, but think about it as someone trying to convince themselves that it is their metabolism.  It makes living with yourself easier.  I have been there...For those of us that really really struggle...it is very hard to read threads where in any way someone comments on someone elses self justification.  I automatically jump to the defensive.  I guess I also think, "if he is judging this guy, for this comment, what are other people judging me for."  I can't walk into a grocery store without dread...and if I buy anything fattening I am sure that everyone is watching me and judging me.  It is part of the paranoia of being heavy.  So then you get into a mind set that you have to justify it to everyone.  But then...I am a pretty paranoid guy...so this could just be me!

2008-03-26 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1292680

Expert
wgraves7582 - 2008-03-25 2:30 PM

Rant on!

It is time for doctors to start taking responsibility for their patients and talking the truth to them and explaining to them what type of danger they are in if they continue to eat like they do, drink like they do, smoke like they do, and do no exercise at the end of the day!

All this PC crap is way overboard. The truth hurts, but guess what - it is the truth.

Rant Off!

I'd be willing to bet most docs and healthcare providers talk pretty straight forward to their obese/diabetic/hypertensive/sloth- patients. I know I do. I obviously have different approaches and try to talk to each individual appropriately, however I have on many occasion said something like, "keep up the fast food diet and non-stop tv and you will have wasted all of the effort put into curing your cancer because you won't make it 5 years before you die from a stroke or heart attack"....We preach a healthy lifestyle. It is my job to do so and the other pa's and docs I personally know work to ensure having a healthy patient population. Now---that being said....99% (and no, that is not an exaggeration) of the people don't start walking, don't follow my dietitians advice, and keep on living the same sedentary, unhealthy lifestyle that they always have....(unfortuanately, you are obviously correct in that not all do....just look at THE DOCS lifestyle/belt size, and it is painfully clear they are on the same track as their patients.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Are people this ignorant? Rss Feed  

of 5