Playtri
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 13s
Overall Rank = 208/242
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 46/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, we had gear together from the night before. Ate three waffles and a banana. Drank my coffee and headed to Irving. Doug and I took two cars so that I could stay for the HIM finish and he had to get back for soccer practice. We got to the site WAY early (6 am) so had plenty of time to set up transition area.
Event warmup:

I did a little jog around the area, mainly to warm up. Hung out with Sue (Sportysue) and Reagan (rgill), also chatted with Ken (kproudfoot) and hunted down Cathy (COgirl) as we had never met, but had been chatting on BT for about a year and a half now. She was my mentor and she was doing the HIM. There were several other BT people there with her.
Swim
  • 39m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before the swim start, Doug and I were just trying to stay warm and hanging out with Sue and Reagan. We watched the HIM folks finish and then headed towards our start. I just tried not to think about the swim at all. That is my swim strategy, don't train at all and try to block out the whole event just to get to the bike. Well, I guess it worked OK since I had been in the pool one time since last October and my swim speed was about the same as when I was training. It might have been a little slower, but I don't seem to improve much with training so I have given up that event for the time being and trying to focus on other areas.
What would you do differently?:

I think I will try to get in the pool this summer and swim outdoors. I don't like swimming indoors during the winter. I guess training could improve my speed a bit, so maybe I will do that next time.
Transition 1
  • 06m 58s
Comments:

Well I think this might be the one area where I WON! I think I was maybe 2nd slowest overall for T2 transition time. Now it was a LONG haul out of the water and to the transition area, but then once I got there I just wanted to warm up and get on enough gear that I wouldn't freeze on the bike. I put on a long sleeve cycling shirt and a long sleeve fleece jacket.

Some much room for improvement, it's hard to say.
Bike
  • 1h 42m 26s
  • 27 miles
  • 15.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I think that the bike part of the race was where I was most discouraged. This same event last year I averaged 18.9 on the bike. However, there were very few hills last year and it wasn't quite as windy. I have done VERY little bike training since October, actually I have only been on my bike twice since Longhorn but I did go to spin a few times. I was not expecting great things, but 15.8 was slower than I had hoped for.

Train and train more specifically on hills.
Transition 2
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

I just don't seem to have speedy transition times and this is certainly something I need to work on. This transition time did also include a bathroom stop.

Go faster
Run
  • 1h 00m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The first couple of miles were pretty tough as I was having this shooting pain from my lower back all the way down through my right foot. My socks were also very bunched up in the toe area as I hadn't done a good job of adjusting them before I headed out. After the first few miles, the pain in my leg went away and I was feeling much better. My main focus on the run was to finish with under a 10 min/ mile pace. That was one goal that I did accomplish! I think that all of my running training paid off in this area.

Nothing, I was pleased with my run results. I am sure I can go faster, but need to practice more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing, I stayed around the finish line to watch for Doug. Somehow I missed him as he must have finished while I was getting something to drink. We ended up hanging around at the finish line for awhile watching folks. We got a hamburger and ate while visiting with Sue and Reagan and then Doug headed out. I stayed at the finish line for a long time watching for other people that I knew.

Event comments:

I have heard some comments about people not feeling like the race was organized, but I thought it was a good race overall. It would have been nice not to have to wait in such a long food line, but nice that the hamburgers were hot and just coming off the grill. While I was checking out the results, a man came up to me to tell me that I made his heart jump a couple of times when he saw me on the course. He said that my smile, braids in my hair and visor all looked like one of his swim clients. He said that he had coached a woman who had died last year and that I reminded him of her. We talked for a couple of minutes and the woman was Dorothy from the Dallas area who died at IMFL in the fall. He told me about how her husband was doing IMAZ that day in memory of her.

One other comment I had was that there were times while I was on the bike and run course that I was asking myself "Why in the world are you doing triathlons as you are so much slower than most people and don't seem to be making huge improvements?" I will say that after thinking more about it, I do triathlons because they are fun and it helps me stay in shape and I have made many improvements, just not all speed related!

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:41 | 1640 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 46/52
Overall: 206/242
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Out and around in through a drainage ditch type "lake". It was definitely very choppy in the more narrow areas as the waves just bounced off the concrete embankments and back in your face.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:58
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:42:26 | 27 miles | 15.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 206/242
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was WAY different than last year with LOTS of hills and high wind. Starting the bike for about the first few miles, every time I looked at how fast I was going it was somewhere between 9 - 13 mph and I just kept plugging away. Finally after the turn around, my times picked up and I was able to go faster.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:00:12 | 06.2 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 187/242
Performance: Good
Course: No big hills, mainly an out and back with much of it on a trail. I like the run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Playtri Olympic

2008-04-14 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1336911

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Playtri Olympic
Great job on doing well without much training! The wind and the hills were killer out there!
2008-04-14 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

great race out there...

as long as you are having fun that's all that matters... 

2008-04-14 2:07 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
You do triathlons because you talked Yoblondie into doing them last year, and she would kill you if you stopped!!!!  Great Job, Jill! 
2008-04-14 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great race and attitude about not being as fast as everyone.  It is all about having fun at the end of the day.
2008-04-14 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
good race.   I'm not to sure about your swim training.    The swim area sounds kinda rustic.....Drainage ditch?

2008-04-14 4:49 PM

User image

Fast is all relative.  You did really well, had fun, got hardware and freebies, and met new and chatted with old friends.  All while eating and basking in the sun.  What more can you ask for?

Dave Young is who I assume you were talking to...He's swim coaching several BT'ers up in the Allen/Plano/Mckinney area.

2008-04-14 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Great race, Jill.   I'm pretty sure I saw you on the bike as you past the finish line.  I couldn't stay for long as I had other plans that day.  Sorry,  I missed you.

I'm glad you had a good time, and don't worry about your slower bike than last year.  It's all good as they say! 

2008-04-14 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

For the training you put in I think you did FANTASTIC!  I could only wish.    But as you said it's not all speed related (thank goodness).

You did awesome.  Hope you had fun.

K

2008-04-14 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Congrats on a good race. Given the course/weather conditions and the amount of training you had for the race, I think you did great.
2008-04-14 9:43 PM

User image

Dayton, OH
Great job on the race, especially with the little amount of training you did. Great points about why we all torture ourselves and then come back for more.

2008-04-14 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
One other comment I had was that there were times while I was on the bike and run course that I was asking myself "Why in the world are you doing triathlons as you are so much slower than most people and don't seem to be making huge improvements?" I will say that after thinking more about it, I do triathlons because they are fun and it helps me stay in shape and I have made many improvements, just not all speed related!

Hey Jill, are you in my head or what???? Trust me, I have said the same thing to myself... MANY TIMES!

But yea, it's all about being healthy and just doing it for fun. Sure it would be fun to be fast and win... but for some of us... it may not be our lot in life.

Great race though. Especially considering you haven't been in the pool or riding much lately. The winds have been bad too... and out there they can get brutal. That's the route we got blown off our bikes on. HA!

So yea... HAVE FUN lady! Hope to see you out there at a race or something this year.
2008-04-14 11:46 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah, sweetie.  Just keep up the good work and having fun.  First race of the season with very little road time - you did great.
2008-04-14 11:58 PM
in reply to: #1338267

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

I agree 100% with Doug!  Great race and attitude.  That is one of the allures of this sport.  It brings out the best in people.  I think it is awesome that you thought ahead and brought two cars so you could stay and bring home the HIM finishers.
With that wind, I seriously wondered to anyone who would listen on my 2nd run loop if it would be allowable to run with my aero helmet on...the wind was that bad.  Way to trudge through it and post a great run time!

Chris

2008-04-15 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Way to go, Jill! You did awesome and even did it on very little training. I think doing it for the fun and experience is the most important thing.

It was great getting to see and hang out with you and Doug!
2008-04-15 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Jill, I think you did GREAT!  Your running looks absolutely awesome and your swim and bike weren't as bad you made it sound like it would be!  That was some serious wind too....my bike split really suffered as well. 

I really am so glad that you stayed to be there when I finished.  That was really cool and very much appreciated!  It was great to meet you in person!  When I get that picture from Kristen I'll forward it!

2008-04-15 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great job out there Jill!  Sounds like the wind and bike course were definitely more difficult than last year.

Congrats!

2008-04-15 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
It was nice to meet you! I think you did great, and I'm just like you - I'm not fast, and I do this crazy sport for fun and meeting really cool people. That's what really matters in the end!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Olympic Rss Feed