Sooke, British Columbia
Canada
TeamX Triathlon
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

First and most important a thanks to my girlfriend for putting up with me and training at weird hours whenever I got the chance. Between the 2 of us we have 5 kids at home and finding free time is tough but she always supportive whenever I wanted to go out and train. Got up 4:45 AM had a shower and some breakfast surfed BT and loaded the car. PANIC can't find Garmin. Me thinking to myself "You idiot you strapped it to your helmet so you would know where it was." Turn garmin on so it can locate as I drive to race site. Nice drive in the morning and it looked like it was going to be a good day. Got to parking area and unloaded and carried my gear and pushed the bike to Transition. I was there nice and early and next year will park closer as there were lots of spots and I was probably first competitor there. Racked my bike in my heat and getting there early is good I got end of rack right near the entrance and exit. Went and checked in and went for my body marking. I was nervous with my number but I warmed up to being number 1. Went in and visited the TriGeeks store as they were bringing me some new shorts. As my club order didn't get in and didn't have what I wanted to race in. They were great emailed late Wednesday and she said no problem come early Sunday and we will have it there for you and it was. Must say these DeSoto shorts are AWESOME I love them. Enough about that back to pre-race. Back to my bike to set up transition. Didn't know what I was going to do it was very cool in the morning and wasn't sure what I would wear on the bike. We had SNOW the day before and was worried. Laid out some running tights and long sleeve shirt to pull on out of the water. Bike shoes check helmet and glasses all check. Looks good to go now I just have an hour until my heat. Walk around meet some BT'ers for the first time. Spiritfire was volunteering (THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS).
Event warmup:

Warm up hmmm just tried to keep warm outside
Swim
  • 20m 30s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Estimated time they had on the clock results will be up later. Was really happy with this time. I actually passed someone and was only passed 3 times twice by the same person. Probably my best swim ever. Decided that rather then taking breaks and continuing freestyle I would flip over and do backstroke and just keep going. I know the time isn't great but for me that is awesome about 30 a 100 faster then I normally swim. I had to slow down a few times as to not run into the person ahead I wanted to stay steady and not rush to pass then fade.
What would you do differently?:

More SWIMMING get in the pool and just do it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Get more serious and do it right. Was to relaxed and making sure of everything, which is good for not doing this in 6 years and only my 2nd one ever.

Take it serious and remember it is a race treat it as that.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

The bike. It was ok very lonely when I am used to riding with a group. Didn't see anyone until I passed someone at 5k then spotted someone way ahead and passed them at 9k and that is it no one else around. The hill killed me but even though I wanted to get off and walk so bad I just remember my Mentor Yanti and her race talking about passing people on the hill with her bike and cruiser bars and turtle horn and kept going. This is where I really thought of all of my mentor group. They have been so great with all their help and advice that they just kept me going. The injuries and real life stuff that gets in the way and they deal with it and keep going is truly inspiring. So not wanting to let them down I kept going and once I got to the top I knew I was there only 10 k left. Rollers grr I saw them on my pre race drive and thought nothing of them but I hate them they don't look big but are a pain in the a$$. Good ride the rest of the way and and back into transition.

Just like everything just need more training.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This took awhile as I had to take of coat long sleeve shirt and tights, and put on knee braces. Again get serious and do this properly sometime being laid back and casual is just stupid.

Get my head in the game and remember you are in a RACE!!
Run
  • 33m
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Wow took a while for my toes to thaw out and get my legs going. When I first started I was like no way am I going to be able to do this. It took until I got into a good hill that my legs actually felt like they were functioning. It was good near the turn around some of the kid volunteers had written on the road it was great and helped a lot made me feel like it was there for me and me only. I didn't even point out there spelling mistakes as I am sure I have made many in my report here

Practice more bike to run session get used to running on the dead legs until the start functioning again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around stretched out and went for the massage. The therapist was like umm wow ok we have 2 options a flush that really won't help or we can give you the needle treatment. I was like bring on the needles. She said it would hurt but not really and seems to be helping and everything is feeling just like she told me it would. Waited for the presentations, met Dan (crazypop). Didn't get to meet Ronin though next time. I won a shirt!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and commitment on my part. I really enjoy this and know I can get better just have to put in the time.

Event comments:

Great time and will do it again next year for sure. Again thanks to all the volunteers as I thanked everyone I saw on course because with out them I wouldn't have been able to enjoy that race and see how much I love doing it.

Last updated: 2008-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:30 | 700 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto Carrera Tri short
Course: 25 m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 20 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 20k paved asphalt surface. Hilly, challenging course with fast technical sections.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:00 | 05 kms | 06m 36s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: Sooke Spring Sprint

2008-04-20 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1350432

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Subject: RE: Sooke Spring Sprint
Woohoo Shawn! You are the MAN triathlete!!!
2008-04-20 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC

WAY TO GO Shawn!!!  Great job!!!

Jill

2008-04-20 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Great race, Shawn!  And thanks for the shout out to your mentoring group--that is so awesome!  Hope your leg is feeling better now!!!
2008-04-20 10:29 PM

User image

Melon Presser

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY SHAWN!!!!!

All the Manatees are so proud of you. CONGRATULATIONS on a fantastic race--you did awesome in the swim, faster than ever--and super, super, job on not walking on the bike. Brought a tear to my eye you did.

You do us so proud with your enthusiasm, generosity of spirit, and support. I don't know how you do it with a gf and 5 kids ... YOU are a huge inspiration to me!!!!! 

(bikechain.congrats.gif)

Attachments
----------------
bikechain.congrats.gif (51KB - 25 downloads)
2008-04-20 11:28 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Thanks all I want official times up so I can actually see. I am pretty sure I was under 2 hours yes I know that is slow but it is a start

2008-04-21 1:11 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Hey way to go Shawn! Glad the weather held up for you and glad to see you had a great race, too bad we couldn't meet up, next time though!
2008-04-21 1:47 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
That's an awesome race, Shawn!! You did great -- better than great! I especially loved reading about your bike, and how you knew we were all pulling for you to keep going. You're an amazing triathlete!
2008-04-21 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Great Job out there. You looked good!

Keep up the great work.

2008-04-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1350866

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Awesome race Shawn! Every time I saw you in/out of T1/T2 you looked great - strong, but most importantly like you were having fun.
Don't let transition get into your head too much ... it's important to relax and take it all in, not stress yourself out about 30 seconds lost with clothing ... yes it IS a race, but it's just a race, after all. ;-)

You did awesome. Really really good. Nice work.
2008-04-21 9:58 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hey Shawn!  sorry I'm late, but - WTG!!!!

2008-04-21 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Way to go!! Awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sooke Spring Sprint Rss Feed