Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Creationism vs. Evolution in the Classroom Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-05-21 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1416154

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Creationism vs. Evolution in the Classroom
pinktrigal - 2008-05-21 12:00 PM
run4yrlif - 2008-05-21 10:32 AM
pinktrigal - 2008-05-21 10:19 AM
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2008-05-21 9:59 AM

Science teachers who don't teach science are, by definition, weaker science teachers than those who do. Creationism is not science, it's theology. Therefore, wasting science class teaching time lecturing on theology is weaker science teaching.

If I were a math teacher who spent my classroom time teaching poetry, I would be a weaker math teacher than one who spent the same time teaching math, wouldn't I?

Why is this even a question?

The article implied that all the teachers were teaching evolution, but that some also devoted time to creationism.  I don't see how knowledge of both theories indicates a weaker science background.  They didn't really expand on how they drew that conclusion.

They said that teachers who teach creationism tend to have not taken evolutionary biology. Having taken an evoloution course equates to a stronger background for a teacher teaching evolution.

There are a variety of courses that could contribute to one's knowledge of the evolution theory.  How can you just compare one course, and conclude a teacher's knowledge based on just one course?  Perhaps that teacher took a geology or botany course that also touched on the theories of evolution.

I am just saying that drawing a conclusion based on insufficient information is misleading.

I don't think it's misleading to say that a teacher who has had an actual course in evolution is better prepared to teach evolution thatn someone who hasn't had that course. Yes, other coursework may have touched on evolution, but it's difficult to argue that touching on a subject prepares you in the same way a comprehensive course does.

I think you're reading too much into the article.

2008-05-21 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1416229

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
briderdt - 2008-05-21 11:24 AM

Coming at this from a slightly different angle... (first admission -- I haven't read the article, and I guess my comments really don't address that article so much as addressing opinions expressed in this thread)

I've read the comments that "evolution is science, creation is theology", and to me I see them both as theories. Why can they not both be presented as possibilities? The real crux of the matter is "which is fact".

"Science" with the stance presented here so far would really look stupid if creation was eventually proven as fact.

I guess, though, I'm more of the intelligent design, or "directed evolution" camp -- I don't see these theories as being mutually exclusive.

Kind of like the Theory of Relativity or the Gravitational Theory?

Look up the definition of Scientific Theory and you will see that there is no "Fact" in science, only hypotheses and theories.

2008-05-21 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1416229

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
briderdt - 2008-05-21 10:24 AM

Coming at this from a slightly different angle... (first admission -- I haven't read the article, and I guess my comments really don't address that article so much as addressing opinions expressed in this thread)

I've read the comments that "evolution is science, creation is theology", and to me I see them both as theories. Why can they not both be presented as possibilities? The real crux of the matter is "which is fact".

"Science" with the stance presented here so far would really look stupid if creation was eventually proven as fact.

I guess, though, I'm more of the intelligent design, or "directed evolution" camp -- I don't see these theories as being mutually exclusive.

I don't think we should be presenting ALL theories in science class (unless you are also planning to include Sty's Pastafarianism ideas). 

We should be presenting all theories with have a significant body of scienctific evidence that supports the theory.  Evolution theory meets that criteria, creationism/intelligent design does not.  Pastafarianism does not seem to meet that criteria either, but I do appreciate them pointing out the highly significant correlation between the decline in the number of pirates and global warming.

2008-05-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1415706

User image

Melon Presser

Generally, school biology classes aren't taught in a way or in sufficient depth that creationism v. evolution even needs to be an issue.

I find it significantly more distressing that subjects like music, art, and P.E. are wholesale getting yanked from the curriculum.

And okay, I'll climb on my holier-than-thou pulpit for a moment, fire away ... I find it perhaps most disturbing that proponents of a religion that, in my opinion, was expressly founded on principles of caring for the disenfranchised and upholding the spirit of the Law would vest so much time and energy in this issue instead of, say (if it's going to be a school issue) advocating that community service be a graduation requirement.

2008-05-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1416674

TriAya - 2008-05-21 2:33 PM

I find it significantly more distressing that subjects like music, art, and P.E. are wholesale getting yanked from the curriculum.

Ooh, girl don't even get me started on this one.

And I agree with your other point too...

2008-05-22 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1416197

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN

I think I tend to lean in the direction of most of these posts by saying that the religious or "creation" aspects to origin is better left outside the classroom.  One of my professors in college, for evolution no less ( a biology core class btw) made mention that religion is not very good at causal explanations, and is better left outside the box in this arena.  I agree with that whole heartedly, but one point even further is that religion in most instances fights science and reason. It is a shot in the dark to not understand something and say, "Oh well... it must be due to God." But next, we find a cause for the situation, and God is no longer in the picture for that issue. It is increasingly difficult to argue a position in favor of a creator nowadays.

Teaching children today, ID or creationism is doing them an injustice on levels of hindering their ability to critically think as well as indoctrinationg them to a point. While there are dogmas in religion, people can gloss those over and treat it as divine and pass on, but at least teh dogma of science is replaced with better truths that are founded in logic, reason, tests and proof. It is much easier to lean on than leaving it up to something we cannot define exists.

2008-05-22 10:09 AM

Pro

Children can be taught whatever adults want to teach them. This is the way it goes. Truth is malleable, all evidence is infinitely disputable and willful ignorance is championed in many domains.

The greatest weakness of science is its inability to draw definitive conclusions. Religion is not bound by that same obligation to say "I may be wrong". Just the opposite, I suspect. 

Resposible science will always lose to irresponsible dogma, and I ain't just talking about religion here.

2008-05-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1418956

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-22 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1418997

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
AcesFull - 2008-05-22 10:25 AM
Opus - 2008-05-22 10:09 AM

Children can be taught whatever adults want to teach them. This is the way it goes. Truth is malleable, all evidence is infinitely disputable and willful ignorance is championed in many domains.

The greatest weakness of science is its inability to draw definitive conclusions. Religion is not bound by that same obligation to say "I may be wrong". Just the opposite, I suspect.

Resposible science will always lose to irresponsible dogma, and I ain't just talking about religion here.

...and here lies my biggest problem with religious-based theories like ID.  They start with an assumption, in this case that God created life, then seek to explain how this occurred.  The goal is to support the hypothesis. 

In science, one starts with the assumption that we do not know the answer.  When hypotheses are generated, we test these hypotheses by attempting to disprove them. 

Religion-based (or morality-based) theories and policies are inherently anti-scientific, and therefore inappropriate in a science classroom.

Mainly because those are theories with a little t versus a scientific Theory with a big T. 

2008-05-22 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1419058

I strongly believe creationism should be taught in biology class. It is an excellent opportunity to teach the scientific method to kids. On the one hand, you can talk about the concept of creationism and take a percentage of time for all of the hard evidence that supports it. On the other hand, you can talk about how the theory of evolution was develoepd and all of the hard evidence that supports it.

If you base how much time to spend on each subject based on how much hard data there is to support it or contradicts it, then you will be spending minutes on creationism and days on evolution. Evolution is a great example of the scientific method of gathering data and testing conclusions, and how it became the most accepted explanation of how life came to be on Earth. I don't think you get the full story without talking about how strong the belief in creationism was.

The irony to me is that most students will walk away from an unbiased discussion of the facts believing in evolution. The LAST thing a creationist should want is creationism taught by an unbiased teacher in a public school.
2008-05-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1418642

Master
Portland, Oregon
cerveloP3 - 2008-05-22 6:28 AM

I think I tend to lean in the direction of most of these posts by saying that the religious or "creation" aspects to origin is better left outside the classroom.  One of my professors in college, for evolution no less ( a biology core class btw) made mention that religion is not very good at causal explanations, and is better left outside the box in this arena.  I agree with that whole heartedly, but one point even further is that religion in most instances fights science and reason. It is a shot in the dark to not understand something and say, "Oh well... it must be due to God." But next, we find a cause for the situation, and God is no longer in the picture for that issue. It is increasingly difficult to argue a position in favor of a creator nowadays.

Teaching children today, ID or creationism is doing them an injustice on levels of hindering their ability to critically think as well as indoctrinationg them to a point. While there are dogmas in religion, people can gloss those over and treat it as divine and pass on, but at least teh dogma of science is replaced with better truths that are founded in logic, reason, tests and proof. It is much easier to lean on than leaving it up to something we cannot define exists.

Exactly. You end up with a God of the Gaps. If everything unknown is put down to "God did it", and reason/logic/questioning are discouraged, the human knowledge base stagnates and regresses.  Not immediately of course, but eventually.

2008-05-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1419118

Elite
Venture Industries,
ell-in-or - 2008-05-22 12:04 PM
cerveloP3 - 2008-05-22 6:28 AM

Exactly. You end up with a God of the Gaps. If everything unknown is put down to "God did it", and reason/logic/questioning are discouraged, the human knowledge base stagnates and regresses.  Not immediately of course, but eventually.

In my best Cleatus voice:"Yup, yup, 'cuz all us Christians don't believe in none of that science whooie"

2008-05-22 11:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

Okay... so... for those of you who are saying Creationism = Religion and Evolution = Science.... Well, you are wrong. Yup.. just flat out wrong. Hmm, neither are either and both can be easily swapped around just depending on who you are talking to and that individual's frame of reference.

Science in itself has a myriad of definitions associated with it. In this case there are two that are important. First, the scientific process. The scientific process is a series of steps that we can take to attempt to explain what we can observe. The problem with any talk about origins is that we cannot observe the original event, we can only observe the effects of that event. Any application of the scientific process to the question of origin requires the one studying the question to make some basic assumptions. The basic assumptions made about the original event will ultimately skew the process. In the end, any "theory" created to explain our origin will be suspect because of those basic assumptions. Ultimately, our origin can never be 'proven'. We are each left to rely on a bit of faith whether it is creationism or evolution that we "believe" in.

The next definition of science is that group of things which are commonly accepted as fact based on  the scientific process. Things such as terminal velocity, the boiling point of water at sea level, and the like. These are simple facts that are still subject to the environment in which they are studied. Evolution or Creation can never fit into this category.

Religion, now, is a set of beliefs, ideas, and rules that individuals or groups use to guide their lives. Religion is pretty much based solely on faith. So, tell me, if you believe Evolution just because you were always told to believe it... isn't that just as much religion as any other belief based only on faith?

Anyway, I should get back to work now... I just couldn't resist putting in my .02 cents here...

Edited by dcossey 2008-05-22 11:38 AM
2008-05-22 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1419235

Master
Seattle, California
dcossey - 2008-05-22 9:36 AM

Okay... so... for those of you who are saying Creationism = Religion and Evolution = Science.... Well, you are wrong. Yup.. just flat out wrong. Hmm, neither are either and both can be easily swapped around just depending on who you are talking to and that individual's frame of reference.

Science in itself has a myriad of definitions associated with it. In this case there are two that are important. First, the scientific process. The scientific process is a series of steps that we can take to attempt to explain what we can observe. The problem with any talk about origins is that we cannot observe the original event, we can only observe the effects of that event. Any application of the scientific process to the question of origin requires the one studying the question to make some basic assumptions. The basic assumptions made about the original event will ultimately skew the process. In the end, any "theory" created to explain our origin will be suspect because of those basic assumptions. Ultimately, our origin can never be 'proven'. We are each left to rely on a bit of faith whether it is creationism or evolution that we "believe" in.

The next definition of science is that group of things which are commonly accepted as fact based on the scientific process. Things such as terminal velocity, the boiling point of water at sea level, and the like. These are simple facts that are still subject to the environment in which they are studied. Evolution or Creation can never fit into this category.

Religion, now, is a set of beliefs, ideas, and rules that individuals or groups use to guide their lives. Religion is pretty much based solely on faith. So, tell me, if you believe Evolution just because you were always told to believe it... isn't that just as much religion as any other belief based only on faith?

Anyway, I should get back to work now... I just couldn't resist putting in my .02 cents here...

Difference is we can still witness evolution today and with the evidence gathered we can make pretty sound assumptions of what happened back then due to what we see happening today.  There is evidence of animals changing to adapt to their habitat in recorded history and I don't see any good reason that we cannot assume the same processes have happened throughout time.   

I have no problem with the idea that science is pretty much faith based.  Science is a belief in an observational method of viewing and explaining the world.  You have to have faith in the that the method to believe the outcomes of scientific research.  However this is a "science class" so what is taught should conform to the principles of science.  Creationism does not and I'm not sure how anyone could make the argument that it is science.      

2008-05-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1419235

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
dcossey - 2008-05-22 11:36 AM

The next definition of science is that group of things which are commonly accepted as fact based on  the scientific process. Things such as terminal velocity, the boiling point of water at sea level, and the like. These are simple facts that are still subject to the environment in which they are studied. Evolution or Creation can never fit into this category.

The key point you are missing is that evolution, like all scientific principles is observable, and repeatable. The method of testing hypotheses is standardized. Religion is none of these, it is based on ineffable concepts like faith, and on Dogma that must be "believed" if one wants to join a particular church.

But thanks for playing.

2008-05-22 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1419364

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Global - 2008-05-22 10:17 AM
dcossey - 2008-05-22 9:36 AM

The next definition of science is that group of things which are commonly accepted as fact based on the scientific process. Things such as terminal velocity, the boiling point of water at sea level, and the like. These are simple facts that are still subject to the environment in which they are studied. Evolution or Creation can never fit into this category.

Difference is we can still witness evolution today and with the evidence gathered we can make pretty sound assumptions of what happened back then due to what we see happening today. There is evidence of animals changing to adapt to their habitat in recorded history and I don't see any good reason that we cannot assume the same processes have happened throughout time.

I have no problem with the idea that science is pretty much faith based. Science is a belief in an observational method of viewing and explaining the world. You have to have faith in the that the method to believe the outcomes of scientific research. However this is a "science class" so what is taught should conform to the principles of science. Creationism does not and I'm not sure how anyone could make the argument that it is science.

Well, we need to not confuse terms of course.  There is a big difference from micro-evolution, macro-evolution, and the Theory of Evolution.   Obviously, the Theory is not observable and not what we are talking about.  Mainstream scientists will argue that there is little difference between microevolution and macroevolution, but admitiedly have only observed microevolution.  If it indeed does occur, macroevolution may (or may not) take thousands of years to actually observe.  The jump between 'we have observed microevolution and therefore macroevoution must be fact' is fallicious and takes a large assumption  , thus my original post.

Also, your statement that creationism does not follow the principles of science and that you can't see how anyone can make the argument that it is science shows that you missed my point all together.  

2008-05-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1419449

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2008-05-22 10:48 AM
dcossey - 2008-05-22 11:36 AM

The key point you are missing is that evolution, like all scientific principles is observable, and repeatable. The method of testing hypotheses is standardized. Religion is none of these, it is based on ineffable concepts like faith, and on Dogma that must be "believed" if one wants to join a particular church.

But thanks for playing.

Do I win a prize!!??

2008-05-22 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1419611

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Do I win a prize!!??

Yep, I just put it in the mail.

My uncle had to flee Nigeria and per his instructions I have to help dispose of his account balances in the sum of $23456789000, In US DOLLARD! I realize that you are a trustwotrhy individual and a charitable heart.........

2008-05-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1419637

Buttercup

What has changed since the last time we had a thread about why creationism is not science?  Hmmmm... nothing.

Creationism - a story originally found in the Torah, written somewhere between the 10th and 5th centuries BCE by peoples who inhabited the Middle East and who worshipped the god, El.

Evolution - a scientific theory which holds that "the process of change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. The genes that are passed on to an organism's offspring produce the inherited traits that are the basis of evolution. Mutations in genes can produce new or altered traits in individuals, resulting in the appearance of heritable differences between organisms, but new traits also come from the transfer of genes between populations, as in migration, or between species, in horizontal gene transfer. In species that reproduce sexually, new combinations of genes are produced by genetic recombination, which can increase the variation in traits between organisms. Evolution occurs when these heritable differences become more common or rare in a population.

2008-05-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1419651

Pro
Renee - 2008-05-22 2:54 PM

What has changed since the last time we had a thread about why creationism is not science?  Hmmmm... nothing.

Creationism - a story originally found in the Torah, written somewhere between the 10th and 5th centuries BCE by peoples who inhabited the Middle East and who worshipped the god, El.

Evolution - a scientific theory which holds that "the process of change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. The genes that are passed on to an organism's offspring produce the inherited traits that are the basis of evolution. Mutations in genes can produce new or altered traits in individuals, resulting in the appearance of heritable differences between organisms, but new traits also come from the transfer of genes between populations, as in migration, or between species, in horizontal gene transfer. In species that reproduce sexually, new combinations of genes are produced by genetic recombination, which can increase the variation in traits between organisms. Evolution occurs when these heritable differences become more common or rare in a population.

Stop it! Stop it! You're confusing the issue with common sense.

The issue is clear:

Is the Bible the literal word of God?

2008-05-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1419707

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Do you mean the actual original creation story, or the one that was finally written down after hundreds of generations of oral history?

2008-05-22 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1419651

Renee - 2008-05-22 1:54 PM

So why cannot this be taught to children? Show them both and the real data behind them, and let them figure out which one to believe. I think people underestimate children.
2008-05-22 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1420193

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
eberulf - 2008-05-22 6:15 PM

Creationism - a story originally found in the Torah, written somewhere between the 10th and 5th centuries BCE by peoples who inhabited the Middle East and who worshipped the god, El.

So why cannot this be taught to children? Show them both and the real data behind them, and let them figure out which one to believe. I think people underestimate children.

Sure, teach it to children.  But teach it elsewhere, not in the public schools which are funded by taxpayer dollars.  The point of school is not to "let children figure out what to believe" when it comes to science.

Hmmm.  I say that 1+2 = 3.  Let's teach them that, as well as 1+1 = 2.  Let them decide what to believe, because we vastly underestimate them. 

2008-05-22 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1420193

Buttercup
eberulf - 2008-05-22 6:15 PM

You are free to teach your children whatever you want.

As for teaching creationism in public schools, I've always said creation stories and myths are suitable in a Comparative Religion course or something comparable. They do not, however, belong in a science class for the blindingly obvious reason that they are not science. They are religious dogma and/or doctrine.

I don't understand why people who profess their religious doctrine want to mask their religious doctrine as science. Why pretend it's something it's not?

2008-05-22 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1420229

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Renee - 2008-05-22 4:48 PM

I don't understand why people who profess their religious doctrine want to mask their religious doctrine as science. Why pretend it's something it's not?

Because it gives them a way into the classroom which is what many of them want to see. What better way than to say "Hey, this is not religion, it's science wink wink nudge nudge."

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Creationism vs. Evolution in the Classroom Rss Feed  

of 4