General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool etiquette - don't block the middle! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-23 5:43 PM

Vancouver, BC
Subject: Pool etiquette - don't block the middle!
At the pool the other day, I was doing an early 6 am swim in the fast lane. Some woman had wetted her workout paper to the fast sign and was standing in the middle of the lane reading her next complicated step in her workout. Well, I assume it was complicated because I don't know why it would take more than a couple of seconds to read it. So, I have to bail out of doing a flip turn and grab the wall so as not to flip-kick her. Ok, maybe it's just one time, I figure there's no reason to say anything.

So I do another lap, and we all know what's coming, yup, she's still there in the middle. It's not until the end up the lap until I look up. So again I have to bail out of doing a flip turn. I end up planting my feet on the wall so that when I push off I make some contact, hoping that is enough to get her to clue in and move off to the side. So another lap passes by, yup, she's still in the middle.

Finally I stop, stand up, and ask her to please not stand in the middle and to stand off to the side. Her response was that there was enough room on the side for me to turn. WTF? I mean, does she really expect me to guess where she's going to be standing? Even if the side is clear, does she really expect people to go around her?

I could be wrong, but it's common sense not to stand in the middle.

Is there a better way to deal with people blocking the middle?

2008-05-23 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1422413

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Pool etiquette - don't block the middle!
After you ask her once, next length, if she is still in the middle, plow into her. Use her tummy for your push-off on your flip turn.  Seriously. That's what I would do. Hopefully she'd get the message.

Edited by newleaf 2008-05-23 5:45 PM
2008-05-23 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Make a big splash and get her notes wetter.  Even though they are probably laminated waterproofed.  Maybe enough will soak through.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2008-05-23 5:51 PM
2008-05-23 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

The audacity of some people is amazing. 

I would of just done my flip turn as she'd soon get the message. 

There was a guy swimming in the same lane as me last week.  He was swimming in the middle of the lane and sometimes even on the wrong side.  So I told him this when we finally ended up at the same end together some 200m later.  His response was "No I'm not! I'm swimming next to the side of the lane."  To which I just replied that he was and that if he gets smacked into then he'll soon stop.

2008-05-23 8:18 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Are the etiquette rules posted?  If not, then if you two did not "negotiate", then don't assume.

Common sense WOULD be, if sharing lanes, to not stand in or "hog" the middle.  She needed a pleasant reminder of the "rules".  Negotiate the split or circle rule ahead of time to avoid these little ugly incidences.

You did fine, but with her response, not acceptable, and give her another NICE reminder.  If that doesn't work, who had the lane first?  If you, ask her to go to another lane.  If she rejects, get the lifeguard.  Or else, splash a lot in her face.  She's being inconsiderate or doesn't have any couth.  Why let her ruin your day?

Hopefully, she won't be there at the same time or be in the same lane again.

2008-05-23 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Oh I TOTALLY know where you're coming from! I hate, hate HATE it when there are 2 or 3 people stopped at the wall chatting for 10mins - 1 or 2 is fine, but 10 mins!!! Give me a break!! Get out of the pool!!

2008-05-23 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
Get over it. Move on.
2008-05-24 6:40 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with Pinto Racer .... 
2008-05-24 7:24 AM

Regular
Americans are not teaching their children manners and personal responsibility. These children are now adults with their own children. We've largely become a society of lethargic, inconsiderate, irresponsible prima donnas. I'm sorry you are encountering this during your workouts. However, its the reality we live. Do the best you can to be reasonable but stern while attempting to encourage people to do the right thing.

Marc
2008-05-24 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Maybe she wanted to get your attention?
2008-05-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1422590

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
PintoRacer - 2008-05-23 6:35 PM

Get over it. Move on.
When you can't reach the wall and have to turn around in the middle of the lane, it's kind of a pain. And we're not talking one time either..... you try swimming like that!

It's not about getting over it, it's about COMMON COURTESY! (Well, common to most of us!)

2008-05-24 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Stand in her swim path and pretend to pee...
2008-05-24 1:05 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2008-05-24 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Generally speaking it is very common lap swim etiquette to break only the left side if you’re doing circle pattern. If you’re lane splitting its usually, a stay to your own side. No matter how you cut this one it was very rude for that woman to stand in the middle. I see most people posting regular swims in their logs tend to agree. It was very interesting to note that the few dissenting opinions to this post have logged less yards this year than the rest have done in a day or two.

Better luck with lane partners in the future. I feel your pain.

2008-05-24 8:55 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
If there's a little exposed wall, you might still be able to do a flip turn.  That's what I usually do in this situation and make sure to make as large of a splash as possible.  Usually people get the point after a few times of faces full of water.
2008-05-24 9:08 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Not saying anything and keeping to yourself, splashing or getting as close to her as possible is most likely not going to render the type of response you're looking for. It's passive-aggressive. After she said that there's plenty of room for you to turn you could have politely responded that there is plenty of room in the entire pool area [including on the deck] for her to stand and read her workout, however there's only a limited space for you to swim and do your turns. Also letting her know that you don't want to run into her or kick her might show her that you're not nagging her but in fact looking out for her well-being. Or you could kick and splash and get as close as you can or punch her in the belly or sigh or stand up and flail your arms or do whatever else besides confront the situation and hope for the best.

2008-05-25 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1423335

In my pool this often is a problem. The students who go there don't have to pay for it so it's quite crowded from monday till thursday and a lot of people who're there don't want to work out, they just want to relax. Some of these people don't seem to understand our desire to be able to turn so we can swim continually and build up our stamina or they just are so occupied with being 'social' (talking with friends) that they don't even notice the fact that they are hindering.
I respect their desire to just hang out as long as they respect my desire to work out and they don't block the middle lane and also a part of the other lane.

When this blocking happens I just turn more to the left. I come close enough to make obvious that they're in my way, not so close that it seems agressive, if possible. One thing I do refuse is turning in my own lane. That's dangerous, you never know if there's any swimmer behind you and it can cause a concussion.

When there's no room to turn at all and I'm just beginning my workout or I can use a little break I just ask the people politely to respect my wish to turn in a normal way, usually this works fine. When it happens in the middle of my workout I don't interrupt it. In that case I either turn further to the left or if that isn't possible I just use that little space I have. If nessecary I slow down a little bit, in that case the people who're blocking will give you that little space. Usually they get the problem and go stand somewhere else, less in the way. Only once in the last few months some antisocial guy told me that there are more people in the swimming pool.Surprised Since I don't know him, I don't recognice him as someone who trains regularly and I was there to train and not to discuss I let it be and I didn't say anything back.

For all clearity, this guy was standing exactly in the middle with 4 or 5 people so I couldn't turn further from him without turning in the lane I came from, with the risk of a collision.
Some of you might disagree with me for not explaining to him why I turned so close from him, but when stuff like this happens every workout and sometimes several times during a workout then you cannot afford to interrupt your workout everytime this happens, at least not when you want to build up any stamina.

Edited by Maasen 2008-05-25 8:04 PM
2008-05-25 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1423012

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
- 2008-05-24 1:05 PM

someone once asked me not to stand on the right side of the wall when looking out into the lane. They told me it was because"people like to kick off the wall on the same side they will be swimming in for the next length"

Generally I'm the only one doing flippy turns in the pool or I'm with considerate swimmers who move aside. So people are either intimitated or understanding. However I have kicked off in small spaces before.. generally this only needs to be a one time thing.

Well, that is true. If you are swimming down the right side of the lane, as you approach the wall you slightly start going to the left and you do a flip turn off the left side. That allows the next person behind you to come in for their flip turn.

BUT if no one is behind you and you need to flip off the right side, it can be done easily. Any good swimmer who does flip turns can do it on either side of the wall, no problem.
2008-05-26 12:33 PM

Expert
Southeast
Are there lifeguards at this pool?  Do they do their job?  This is a safety hazzard, and as such comes under their purview.  I'm VERY far from experienced as a swimmer, but I've seen the lifeguards at my pool explain this sort of thing to people more than once. 
2008-05-26 1:16 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

I'd take advantage of the situation by thinking of it as a mass start at an ironman.  It's just expected, use it as a training technique.  If I'm asked to be considerate, I would smile and wait for the compromise to naturally evolve.

That approach works for me very well.

2008-05-30 7:55 PM

Another pool etiquette question. I was swimming at the last hour of the opening hours (only 3 hours on most days). While I was at aproximately one third of my lane, going from the entrance of the pool, a lifeguard whistled that we had to leave the pool because he wanted to close. I finished my lane, returned and stopped. That lifeguard nagged that I was supposed to get out immediately and not finish my last lane.

What's general pool etiquette in a small university pool (6 small lanes)? It's clearly a habit among most competitive swimmers there to finish their current '50 meters'. Also, the other swimmers seemed to agree with me. They told me I should have thrown him in the pool (as a figure of speech) and that he probably was already cranky because of something.

What's your opinion? Is it normal to finish your current '50' or not once you have started your last '50'?

Edited by Maasen 2008-05-30 7:56 PM

2008-05-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1434616

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Maasen - 2008-05-30 5:55 PM

Another pool etiquette question. I was swimming at the last hour of the opening hours (only 3 hours on most days). While I was at aproximately one third of my lane, going from the entrance of the pool, a lifeguard whistled that we had to leave the pool because he wanted to close. I finished my lane, returned and stopped. That lifeguard nagged that I was supposed to get out immediately and not finish my last lane.

What's general pool etiquette in a small university pool (6 small lanes)? It's clearly a habit among most competitive swimmers there to finish their current '50 meters'. Also, the other swimmers seemed to agree with me. They told me I should have thrown him in the pool (as a figure of speech) and that he probably was already cranky because of something.

What's your opinion? Is it normal to finish your current '50' or not once you have started your last '50'?

Well, if it takes you 10 minutes to do a 50, I could see his point.  But if you're only in there for a minute or two, I'd say he's being a bit unreasonable.  Maybe he had a hot date waiting. 

2008-05-30 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1434663

SevenZulu - 2008-05-30 8:24 PM
Maasen - 2008-05-30 5:55 PM

Well, if it takes you 10 minutes to do a 50, I could see his point. But if you're only in there for a minute or two, I'd say he's being a bit unreasonable.

Well, my breaststroke is actually a lot faster than my breastcrawl since I only started in october with crawling and I have many years of experience with the breaststroke. My arm muscles simply aren't strong enough yet (only since I crawl they develop, fitness didn't help at all with 2 times 20 repetitions, 3 times a wheek). I think it took me around a minute.

Next year I'm going to take swimming lessons, I hope I can find swimming lessons for adults where they give proper instruction, they tend to work more individually with adults where I live. My long term goal: +4 km/hour, my goal for the next year: +3 km/hour

Maybe he had a hot date waiting.

Laughing

2008-05-31 9:05 AM

User image

Buttercup

Is there a better way to handle someone standing in the middle?

I would keep swimming and keep flipping off the available wall space.  Also, if I felt the need to stop and ask the other person to move over, I'd probably put it within the context that I didn't want to accidentally kick them so would they mind standing to the side, thanksverymuch. And also ascertain that we were going to circle swim.

Ain't no thang.

2008-05-31 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
kick her in the head during the flip turn, then grab her by the throat and keep shoving her under water like waterboarding. That will teach her ever get in the way of one of your workouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool etiquette - don't block the middle! Rss Feed  

of 2