General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes in T1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-29 8:59 PM

User image

Subject: Bike shoes in T1
I am preparing for my first tri with bike shoes. I know there is a way to have your shoes already clipped to the pedals so you can just jump on your bike and start pedalling and then strap into your shoes. What do you do to keep them from tipping down? I would prefer this method as opposed to running/walking out of T1 in my bike cleats and I don't want to have to stop outside T1 to put them on.

2008-05-29 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1432352

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Bike shoes in T1
The shoes are held in a horizontal position with rubber bands. On triathlon bike shoes there is a loop in the back that helps in doing this. Do not use this technique in your race until you have mastered it in practice. People who try doing this before mastering it often unfairly impede people around them. It is really a technique for those who have a decent shot at an award. If you're just racing to finish, your training time would be better spent on improving your S/B/R.
2008-05-29 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand
Once you gt on the bike and put your feet on top of your shoes they won't tip down.  You'll be fine with them clipped into your pedals.   You can pracise this in training to get more familiar and comfortable with doing this.
2008-05-29 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I don't know of anyway to keep the shoes themselves level.  Rubber bands maybe?  I really don't see the need to have them flat, actually.

Have you practiced doing this before?  Can you do it already?  It's insanely hard to do if you aren't really, really stable on the bike.  Really, really, really, really stable.  Having to run a little slower out of T1 in my cleats is much faster than me trying that method.  One day that might change, but I've practiced it often and it usually ends up with me failing miserably.

2008-05-29 10:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2008-05-29 10:13 PM
2008-05-30 2:17 AM

New user

definately don't do this if you haven't spent time practising

Remember - pro athletes have time to spend all day practising this. Someone once almost fetched me off because they were wobbling along the road

You can do it the other way much easier though - get your feet out before the dismount line

(Just make sure your shoe fastener doesn't get caught in the chain wheel

2008-05-30 3:21 AM

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Dont do this if you havnt trained doing this and you arnt good at it - you'll just come a cropper and it will cost more time than it saves
2008-05-30 5:03 AM

Regular
Lafayette Indiana
Somewhere on this site, somebody posted some great videos from youtube on how to do this. I watched and practiced at home and then actually did it in my first tri and it worked out just fine. I think the other key, besides practicing, is having tri shoes which have the loop on the heel and the one velcro strap that faces away from the bike.
2008-05-30 6:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
YES just leave your shoes on your bike all the time, Every training ride you get to practice putting on your shoes on the bike, and the flying dismount.

You rubberband as described above, this will prevent the shoes from dragging on the ground and have them in the correct position for when you jump on.

Also do not put your shoes on right away. Pedal away get up to speed then slip them on.

If you have a big hill out of T1 this method is not recommended as you wont have a spot to get in the shoes before the hill. Also if lots of curves then either your riding out of your shoes for a while or its not going to go well.

2008-05-30 6:40 AM

Master
Alpharetta, GA
If you want to do this, practice, practice, practice. It takes time and a good amount of time dedicated to it before you master, and then do we really actually master it or just become good at it?

Nonetheless, I never unclip my shoes from my bike (unless I have it on the bike rack). I practiced all off-season, and everytime I ride. My last race was the first time I did this type of mount/dismount in an actual race, and I will never go back. No joke, glasses on, helmet on, GO. It is very fast if you do it right.

I would not worry about keeping the shoes level. As you practice (over and over) you will learn how to put you feet on top of your shoes and start riding. That will level the shoes out for you. AFTER you get moving at a good clip, then put your feet in. I have learned that if you ride for a good 100 yards with your feet on top of your shoes that will move you away from everyone else getting on after T1.
2008-05-30 9:14 AM

Master
Fenton, MI

2008-05-30 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1432480

Coach
Boston, MA
JeepFleeb - 2008-05-29 10:12 PM

Don't try it in your race if you haven't done it in training.

The trick is rubber bands and those little tabs on the backs of your shoes.  And it definitely makes a difference.  We're only talking about a few seconds, but that's a difference.

x2. In fact don't try it unless you can do it with ease over and over... it is crazy to see so many triathletes do this out of T1 and swirl all over the place and in many cases causing accidents.
2008-05-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1432943

Veteran
Jackson, TN
I've never been a fan of this, especially since i'm nowhere near the top/elite parts of the race. For me, I'd rather not fall over at the beginning of my bike...plus, I don't know - in the grand scheme of your bike leg - how much time you're going to save doing it...depending on what level you're at, you know?

2008-06-03 9:42 AM

Expert
Shelby Twp
I have practiced a couple of times in the park, but I am finding it hard to keep the bottom of my feet clean enough that I dont have rocks/dirt in my shoe by the time I get them in the shoe (from running through *transition*. Trick to getting the bottom of the feet wiped off to not have this? Or just practice more with maybe wiping your hand over your foot before putting the foot in?
2008-06-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1441157

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

kellc09 - 2008-06-03 9:42 AM I have practiced a couple of times in the park, but I am finding it hard to keep the bottom of my feet clean enough that I dont have rocks/dirt in my shoe by the time I get them in the shoe (from running through *transition*. Trick to getting the bottom of the feet wiped off to not have this? Or just practice more with maybe wiping your hand over your foot before putting the foot in?

Or just HTFU?

Cool

Seriously, I find that I have to ride a while with my feet on top of the shoes to get up to speed, and that removes most of the rocks/dirt from the soles of my feet. It wouldn't hurt (with practice) to also pass your hand across the sole of your foot, once you are up to speed.

2008-06-03 9:57 AM

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I just ordered a pair of tri shoes so I can start practicing this. My bike shoes have 3 straps and they would be too tough to use for this method. I've seen several you tube videos and it looks so cool, and doesn't seem that hard at all. Of course, I haven't tried it yet. I do know I don't like slipping and sliding in my cleats on paved surfaces.

2008-06-03 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1441186

Expert
Shelby Twp
the bear - 2008-06-03 9:50 AM

kellc09 - 2008-06-03 9:42 AM I have practiced a couple of times in the park, but I am finding it hard to keep the bottom of my feet clean enough that I dont have rocks/dirt in my shoe by the time I get them in the shoe (from running through *transition*. Trick to getting the bottom of the feet wiped off to not have this? Or just practice more with maybe wiping your hand over your foot before putting the foot in?

Or just HTFU?

Cool

Seriously, I find that I have to ride a while with my feet on top of the shoes to get up to speed, and that removes most of the rocks/dirt from the soles of my feet. It wouldn't hurt (with practice) to also pass your hand across the sole of your foot, once you are up to speed.

Or maybe the parking lot Im practicing in is excessively dirty I tend to quickly get the feet in, so maybe I'll spin a few more times and see if that does the trick
2008-06-03 10:40 AM

Elite
Raleigh

Anyone can do this.... I am MOP and I do it every race and yes I did place in my age group one time by 8 seconds; so I think every little bit counts.

The big trick is to wait till you are up to speed before you put your feet in, I know everyone thinks they hop on the bike and put their feet in the shoes and they are all wobbly and will crash. If you wait till you get down the road and get up to speed you are not wobbly at all and it is just like reaching down for your water bottle. Peddle with your feet on the shoes, it is no different than having regular peddles with tennis shoes on.

Then when you are up to spped reach down and do one, peddle a little bit, reach down and do the other.... Then you are good to go.

It is really pretty easy, practice it a few times but getting up to speed really makes a big difference.

I know we are all not pros or elites but we are racing the clock against ourselves and beating your goal time is rewarding, so every second counts.

I do it with and with out rubberbands so you dont always need them.

Oh my fastest T1 time is 26seconds.... so even a MOP can be fast in transitions

Edited by trigods 2008-06-03 10:41 AM
2008-06-03 10:56 AM

Veteran
Plano, Texas
I agree with the folks that say practice, practice, practice, but disagree with those that say to only use this method if you are shooting for the podium. Every little bit can help to set that PR. Plus, it's free time AND a psychological boost for you (and a blow to your opponents) when you spend all of about 5-10 seconds at your bike rack before you dart off for the T1 exit. I've heard other competitors make comments like "Good grief that was quick" etc.

As for the rubber bands, I loop the rubber band on the left/rear shoe around the rear wheel quick release lever and the rubber band on the right/front shoe through my water bottle holder.
2008-06-03 12:31 PM

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Add this to the pre-race checklist:

- Once shoes are clipped in and rubber banded, ensure that the velcro strap is OPEN.

I tried without once and it is decidedly NOT a time saving technique. I discovered my error right after I got a shout-out for my "excellent demonstration of the flying mount" from the race announcer. Embarassed

Oh, and practice, practice, practice just like everybody else has said but do it no matter whether you're riding a $10,000 carbon fiber spaceship bike or a $10 Schwinn from the Nixon era.

2008-06-03 1:13 PM

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
I stopped using shoes because of all the trouble they create.  I've got the cleats bolted to the bottoms of my feet instead.

Edited by DieuEtMonDroit 2008-06-03 1:22 PM

2008-06-03 1:16 PM

Expert
Manchester, NH
Sooo... Does anyone think this should be practiced first?
2008-06-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1441213

Champion
Philly 'burbs

mrbbrad - 2008-06-03 10:57 AM I just ordered a pair of tri shoes so I can start practicing this. My bike shoes have 3 straps and they would be too tough to use for this method. I've seen several you tube videos and it looks so cool, and doesn't seem that hard at all. Of course, I haven't tried it yet. I do know I don't like slipping and sliding in my cleats on paved surfaces.

Tried this last night on the trainer and this morning on the road. Still working out kinks but I think I'll be good for my first tri this Saturday. I have always been confident on a bike with balance and such and had no problems staying steady while pedaling with feet on top of shoes or reaching down to slide the feet in once up to speed, or with taking feet out of shoes while preparing to dismount. Actually found that easier than unclipping

I am most "concerned" about running barefoot through the transition area. I don't like pebbles under my feet. Yeah, I know... HTFU! I will still be wearing socks for the run portion. I HATE blisters. Do you sense a common denominator? I am a wuss about pain/injury to the skin on my feet.

Edited by mrbbrad 2008-06-18 10:54 AM
2008-06-18 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1474071

Master
Riverside, IL
mrbbrad - 2008-06-18 10:48 AM

I am most "concerned" about running barefoot through the transition area. I don't like pebbles under my feet. Yeah, I know... HTFU! I will still be wearing socks for the run portion. I HATE blisters. Do you sense a common denominator? I am a wuss about pain/injury to the skin on my feet.

This is one of my biggest concerns, too. I have enough foot problems to begin with (plantar fasciitis on my left, a toe problem on my right)...I'm not supposed to even walk around barefoot...let alone RUN. Stepping on even the smallest of pebbles, would kill my feet...so I won't be taking that risk during my first tri this Sunday. I'll be the pokey one in T1, putting on my socks and mountain bike shoes, then carefully jogging with my bike to the mount line.
2008-06-18 1:20 PM

Expert
Plano, TX

There are a number of things to consider with the shoes-on method.  I will echo the overall theme to practice this method prior to trying it in race conditions.  Your fellow competitors will appreciate it.  That being said, if you are going to go the shoes-on route, you can do it several ways.  I simplified it and it works for me.  I bought some tri-specific shoes and eschewed any kind of pre-race rigging of the shoes to the bike other than having them clipped in.  I run to the mount line (be aware that some people are not sure where it actually is, so pay attention to the race volunteers telling you where to go, or scout it out before the race....too many people trying to mount 2 or 3 bike lengths back from the actual line a lot of times and it can cause a log jam of people trying to get on their bikes.  At the mount line, I put my left foot on top of the left shoe and push down with that foot as I am pushing off with my right foot.  I swing my right leg over and step on the right shoe.  As you do this, try to keep your chest rearward of the stem, as this will provide stability and allow your hands to temporarily have control of the bike.  Then you can pedal up to speed and make sure you are clear of any traffic behind you.  Slipping the feet in can be a little strange at first, but some practice will make it easier.  A hint would be to make sure you have the foot you are trying to slip in the shoe closer to 12 o'clock than 6 o'clock.  It sounds logical enough, but I have seen people trying to reach WAY down there to grab the loop to pull the shoe on when it is in the extended position.
As for the tender feet problems...adrenalin can play huge tricks on the mind and allow more pain tolerance than the body is accustomed to enduring.  My experience is you don't even really feel your feet on rough surfaces during that brief run to the line, as your mind is on everything else.
Dismounting is done the same way, as far as getting out of your shoes.  Know the course so you don't do it too early or too late.  Be ready and when you are situated on top of your shoes and still spinning (some would say at a higher cadence than you just rode to get that lactic acid moving), look for the dismount line.  As it approaches, you will hear and see people screaming at you to stop.  Stand up, swing your leg over while simultaneously applying the brakes and when you are at a slow enough speed to hop off and continue running, jump.  It should be seamless and make sure not to squeeze the front break too hard, as the rear end of the bike will come off the ground (heh). 
This is the shoe I use, so you can see the difference between a road shoe and a tri-specific shoe.  Notice the strap opens away from the cranks.  Less chance of losing a finger or getting the strap caught on something.  Tri-specific shoes are generally made to be worn sans socks...many don't even have a tongue insert to allow for better ventilation.  If you are comfortable in your bike handling and feel you need to grab some extra seconds, practice this first and get proficient at it and use it in a race.  I did and I won't be doing it any other way, unless it is banned at a particular race or there is a huge hill right outside T1.

(Tri Shoe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tri Shoe.jpg (35KB - 9 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes in T1 Rss Feed  

of 2