Town of Pittsford Recreation Dept
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 36s
Overall Rank = 41/307
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 14/42
Pre-race routine:

This race will always be special to me. It was my very first triathlon in 2005. I also did it in 2006 and volunteered in 2007. Nice to do the race again this year! I wanted to beat my time from 2 years ago when I was 1:25:22

I had a poor night's sleep. My son, Ryan, was up quite a bit with a bad cough. I woke with the alarm at 5:15. Had a PB&J sandwich for breakfast. Took a couple of advil to help with foot pain. Gathered a few last second things, got my backpack, and hit the road. I left home about 5:50 and rode my bike to the race. About 20 minutes and 5 miles.

Once at the race site, I got a good transition spot and laid things out. Its been awhile since I have done a race, so I had to think things through more than expected. It was fine.

Having my number ahead of time definitely helped speed up the process. 2 years ago, pre-race was chaos because the lines were so long. Much smoother now. Got my chip and body mark easily.

Spent some time chatting with folks. A few trips to the rest room. My stomach was a bit upset for some reason. Dunno why. Whatever.
Event warmup:

The bikeride over made for a nice warm up. I also did a 5 minute jog. The pool isnt conducive to warming up. I did a couple of back-and-forths in the half-length end before my actual swim.
Swim
  • 05m 13s
  • 274 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wanted to push the swim a fair amount. I probably did myself a disservice putting in a slower seed time than I was likely to do. I put in 5 minutes, but my actual time was around 4:30. So I ended up passing 3 people in the swim.

I was breathing pretty hard, but generally in control. More 2 stroke breathing than I normally do, but thats fine. It was a good swim overall.

As I got out of the water, Heather and Martie were there and gave me a nice cheer. That was fun. I grabbed a small towel that I left by the side to help start drying off on the run to transition.

The run went fairly well to transition.

Overall, I had the 27th fastest swim time. I was 27 seconds faster than 2 years ago.
What would you do differently?:

Other than seeding myself a little closer to my actual swim time, not much. I put that time down because I didnt want to start so early. But 10 minutes of start time difference would not make much difference one way or another.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

T1 went ok. My tri top got stuck on my wet body. My socks were a touch hard to get on, but not a big deal. Everything else went ok. I'm sure this could be done faster, but whatever. I'm not going to win a podium spot. It was generally efficient, even though I havent done it since a race in September.

One minor mistake that I made is that I forgot to close the straps on my bike shoes after I put them on. Once I started running with the bike, I felt my shoes coming off. So I had to stop, close the velcro straps, then start again. A few seconds lost here.

I did have a touch of trouble getting my shoes to snap into the pedals. A few seconds lost, but nothing major.

Overall, I had the 33rd fastest swim time. Better than I would have expected. I was 22 seconds faster than 2 years ago.

See above.
Bike
  • 46m 47s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed pretty hard on the bike. ANd I would say that I had a strong ride. THis is a pretty tough course, requiring almost constant gear changes. This all went smoothly.

I passed quite a number of people on the bike. Got passed by 2.

I spent a lot of time in aero, especially going downhill. For some reason, I'm normally very apprehensive to get into aero for safety reasons. The bike is very twitchy in aero. But come races, I have little hesitation.

The wind wasnt as big of a factor as I was expecting. It was pretty strong. It definitely hit us hard as we were going along 251, right into it. But spending more time in aero seemed to help with that. I was surprised that the wind didnt bother me more as a cross wind. But it wasnt bad.

The one thing that I didnt do especially well was going around turns. There were very few course marshalls out and I was unsure frequently if cars were coming. Coupled with the remaining dampness from overnight rain, and I was pretty cautious on the turns.

Overall, I averaged over 19mph and had the 37th fastest bike time. I was 1:58 faster than 2 years ago.

Not much. I gave a strong effort and beat my bike time from last time by . I averaged 19.xxxx mph on a pretty tough course for speed. I'm very pleased.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

T2 went reasonably well despite no practice. Nothing really to note. It went smoothly. No problems with the shoe swap.

Overall, the 40th fastest T2 time. 20 seconds faster than 2 years ago.

Not much
Run
  • 28m 48s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I've done less than 20 miles running since February because of some foot injuries. So I really didnt know what to expect here. Coming in, I thought I would generally be ok cardio wise. I knew that my legs weren't in running condition though. I also expected my foot to start bothering me, and it did.

The run went as well as I could reasonably have expected. My hamstrings were definitely sore coming out of transition and going up the stairs. But they loosened up pretty quickly.

The first mile seeme to go ok. I was breathing hard, which I expected, but figured I had enough gas left to finish ok. I tried to stay off the pavement when conditions allowed to save some impact on my foot. I did it in about 8:30 pace or so.

Second mile was a bit tougher. I was getting passed, which I knew would happen. But I made it through. Towards the end of the second mile, as I passed the school on my left, my foot started getting sore. Then the hill started.

Partway up the hills, my family was there to cheer me on! It was very nice to see the wife and boys. I pressed on, breathing very hard going up the long hill. I was so happy to turn the corner onto Barker road.

From there, it was a straight shot to the finish. About a mile. After I caught my breath a touch on the slight downhill, I tried to pick up the pace for the remainder. But my legs just would not turn over faster. The lack of running really hit me here. I was breathing hard, but just could not get the legs moving faster.

I finished as strong as I could. I was hurting and wanted to stop. But I continued on. As I crossed the finish line, Martie and Kameron were there cheering me on. Cheers are always great!

Overall, the 110th fastest run time. I was 28 seconds slower than 2 years ago.

Not much given my foot injuries since February. I ran as well as I reasonably could.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off. I was hurting afterwards for a bit. After a few minutes, I took 4 advil and got some ice onto my foot.

Overall, I'm very pleased about this result. I was faster in 4 of 5 splits than 2 years ago, with only the run being slower. Overall, I was 2:46 faster than 2 years ago. Some progress.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Foot injury.

Event comments:

The volunteers and race organizers generally did a good job. I was very surprised, however, that there were no course marshals at a couple of intersections. Especially the one at 64 and Thornell road, at the stop light. I was very lucky and got a green light when I came through there. I'm not sure everyone was so lucky.

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:13 | 274 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/307
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. 6 lengths. Down and back, then under the rope to the next lane. After the swim, get out, run through the hallway, out the door, across the parking lot, down some stairs, then cross the timing mat. The run part probably takes about 40-45 seconds.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:47 | 15 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course is generally a large rectangle, running mostly north-south. There was a significant wind coming from the west. Its is also a very hilly course. No major long hills, but constantly changing slope. Tough to get into a good rythem. The course was still damp in spots from overnight rain.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:48 | 03.5 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Course: A triangle shaped course. Some hills, nothing too steep.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

2008-06-01 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1436599

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

What a fantastic job!  Considering how you said you haven't trained your running much, to only be 28 seconds slower than your time from two years ago is awesome!

2008-06-01 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice job Rob.  Good we could get out together and enjoy what we train for.
2008-06-01 6:51 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Awesome race Rob! You definitely stepped it up on race day!!!
2008-06-01 6:53 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nice job out there.  It's always hard to race coming off injuries.
2008-06-01 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

You did great today Rob!!  You looked strong at the finish!  It's amazing how well you've been able to do considering some of the setbacks you've faced.  I just hope the foot holds up! 

WTG!!!!  Cool

2008-06-02 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Nice job!  Awesome run given the foot problems you have been having.  Very strong on the bike. 

Hope the foot is feeling ok today. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Town of Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed