Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 12s
Overall Rank = 206/780
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 28/93
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at my inlaws. Got up around 4:30. Sat in the kitchen, had a pb on a bagel and some coffee. I had planned to leave around 5:30 or so, but my father in law got up and came into the kitchen and started haranguing me about the route I planned to take to the race, and suggestng alternatives and this and that, which was getting me annoyed and stressed out, so I left around 5. I followed my GPS directions, and got there in no time flat. He took his way, got lost, had to detour, and the whole family nearly missed the swim start. Heh.
Event warmup:

Got set up, completely forgot about the BT meeting at 6:30. Duh. Looked around for my family, who was still busy getting lost with my F-I-L. Got into my suit, and went down to the beach.
I had some accellerade while I was getting set up, and a gel about 20 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 16m 2s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I noticed people in the earlier waves getting pushed to the right, so I seeded myself in the front third of the group, and all the way to the left. Jumped in and started swimming and immediately found myself zooming past people. This was, I think, my best swim ever in a race. I felt smooth and fast the entire way, passed tons of people, to the point where I couldn't find anyone to draft off of. Sighting was PERFECT. I literally brushed both buoys with my left shoulder as I swam around them. By the time I got to the end, I was surrounded by swimmers from the previous waves. My wife said I was in the top 10 out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

In terms of swimming, nothing. My stroke was good, breathing was good, and sighting was perfect. The time reflects a LONG run up the beach, which I did slowly, since it was on concrete and I was barefoot, so I didn't want to aggravate my calf injury. I also tried taking my wetsuit off as soon as I got off the beach, which I've read is much easier than waiting until you get to transition after it's had a chance to dry out some. This worked really well.
Bad news is, between the long, careful jog up the beach and the wetsuit removal, I dropped back in the pack, but this was still an awesome swim. I'd bet the swim alone was closer to 13-14 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

70th fastest transition overall out of about 780 people. Not having to struggle with the suit helped a lot.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 36m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Grrr. Once again, I'm an eyelash shy of 20mph. I'm actually surprised it wasn't slower. This was a tricky course: crowded (I was in the 2nd to last wave), a little hilly, a couple of hairpin turns, and a brutally horrible road surface. It's common in a race to have a few bumps, and so you always see those yellow things that fall out of aerobottles, and, maybe the odd bottle that falls out of a cage. But I stopped counting the number of yellow poufs and bottles I saw after about 25 or so. I also saw computers, tubes, gloves, sunglasses all over the road.
I ate one gel at 15 minutes and planned to eat the second at 30 minutes. I decided to wait until I'd passed this one especially rough stretch of road before I ate and...POW! Hit a pothole and lost the entire contents of my bento box. Damn.
I didn't do the jump out-of-the-shoes thing, either. Because a) my rack was close enough to the bike-in that I didn't feel the need to risk it, but mostly because b) I hadn't practiced in a while and I chickened out. I also left about 1/3 of my aerobottle, which had water+Nuun in it unfinished. A mistake, as it turned out.

Go faster. Drink more. Not lose my gu's.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I initially racked my bike in such a way that I didn't give the guy next to me much room, so I reracked it. I also took a second to put some Bodyglide+heat and a neoprene wrap on my calf. Overall, it was a little slow, but ok.

Not need the wrap, rack the bike better the first time. Drink more.
Run
  • 24m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started slowly, because I wanted to make sure my calf was ok. I stopped about 100y into the run to tighten/readjust the wrap and couldn't get the velcro to stick. Once I got going, it felt a little crampy, but didn't hurt, so I kept a quick pace, but didn't push too much.
By the middle of the second loop, I could feel my calves cramping, but there was no gatorade or other electrolytic relief to be had. Nothing to do but keep pushing and hope to finish before they locked up. I tried to keep the pace up as high as I could, and did fine. Saw my family about 100y from the finish, and, although it hurt, I made sure to give a good kick to the finish. This woman started to pass me, and we sprinted together for about 75 feet, until, with about 25 feet before the finish, I said, "Take it", and slowed down so we could each have our own photo. She came by afterwards to tell me "that was fun" and thank me.

Seriously think about endurolytes. I wish I had known beforehand that there would be no gatorade on the course. That could have been bad--if this race had been much longer, I would have been in no condition to finish. Overall, pace is pretty good, but I had to suffer for it, that's for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Took off my chip. hobbled over to my rack, where I found my entire family waiting. Great to see them, but..umm...what was security doing? Gathered up my stuff, got some granola bars and water (no gatorade at the post-race either). Walked a looooong way back to the car and drove back to my inlaws.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calf cramps, but I'll take cramps over pulls/sprains any day. Hydration was never a problem for me before, but I have to start paying attention to it as the weather gets even hotter.

Event comments:

This is a decent local race. A fair value for the money. A few things could have been better organized--for example, they had no portapotties. Relying on two small bathhouses' bathrooms for 750+ triathletes and their families is just silly. And not having any gatorade or sports drink on the run course for a triathlon in June is asking for trouble IMO. I'd do this race again, though.

Last updated: 2007-10-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:02 | 875 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/93
Overall: 117/780
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Comp II full
Course: Swim was in an inlet from the LI Sound. Saltwater, no waves, some current left to right. Out to one buoy, left turn, over to another one, left turn, then into the beach and the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:09 | 12 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/93
Overall: 171/780
Performance: Average
HR Avg was 165, or right about at my LT.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops around a course that was mostly straight, but which had a couple of small hills, three hairpin turns, and two right-angle turns. And a HORRIBLE road surface.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:50 | 03.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/93
Overall: 448/780
Performance: Average
HR was right around LT.
Course: Two loops around. Some on a concrete boardwalk, some on asphalt parking lot, some on sidewalk. Only one water station, with only water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon

2008-06-15 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1468018

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon

Wowza... nice race, Jonah!   Congrats on your best ever race swim and speedy bike and run splits. 

As a side note, my "bento box" (which is actually made by Fuel Belt) has a zipper on it which has saved me many times when I know velcro wouldn't have survived the road surface.  It even has an extra zippered pocket inside (which, if I'm being completely honest, I only noticed last week and I've had it for a year).  I feel certain you should buy the same one I have.  Pink would look hottt on your bike which I'll go ahead and assume is black .

2008-06-16 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Great job! Nice meeting you.
2008-06-16 7:54 AM

User image

Good job man!  I love the FIL story.  Hee hee. 

Yeah, despite the lack of bathrooms, overcrowded course, bumpy roads, for whatever strange reason I'll probably do this race again.  If this were an Olympic Distance with that lack of support, I'd say forget it.

Great times overall.  Good job.

2008-06-16 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
congratulations, glad your legs held up for the run. impressive swim and bike splits as well. rock on!
2008-06-16 12:45 PM

Pro
AZ
Crap...I don't have time to read a novella right now.  I'll be back.

2008-06-17 10:51 AM

Pro
AZ

Ok...had time to read it today. Haha1!

Awesome job. Especially the swim! Uber fast!! You had a good bike speed too!!!  Glad your old legs held up as well!  Nicely done!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon Rss Feed