United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 26s
Overall Rank = 126/445
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and got dressed. Did the morning constitutional and then started to get everything ready. Most of it I prepared the night before so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Had a peanut butter Builder Bar (yum) and some water. Beth and I then took off at around 5:15 and got there a little after 5:30. They are so organized at this place.
Event warmup:

After I got marked and chipped and set up my transition, I put the shoes on and went for a little run. Basically out to the curve in the park and back. So probably all of about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. On the way back, I worked in some intervals, between every other flag on the course. Once I got back, went with Beth down to the beach, waited for the fence to open then went in and got in about 200m warm up in the water. The water was nice and warm.
Swim
  • 11m 14s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start on this OWS. I was about a full minute faster this year than last year on this race. But I know I could have done faster. I know I could have gone sub 11:00. My sighting was off. I was fine going out to the first buoy, but when I rounded it, I kept pulling left. And I could never correct.
And to top it off, my breathing wasn't that great. On the top part of the triangle, I was all over the darn place. Probably because I knew I wasn't sighting well. And about 1/2 way through, I figured, screw it, and just really settled in and started to swim my swim. I really started to pass people then. I even swam up onto one lady that was doing the back stroke. literally swam up onto her so quickly it was as if I was laying on top of her. Mumbled some sort of apology and took off.
Beach headed the shore, passing people trying to walk, and finally stood up when I couldn't do a full stroke any more.
Better than last year, but not as good as I could have done.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better and breathe better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Transition itself wasn't too bad. Encompassed a run from the beach up to the area so it was quite quick overall. I did almost bite it trying to put my bike shoes but other than that, pretty quick.
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

To start with, I was an idiot and forgot to put the bike in the easiest gear. So I had to grind out to start off with. Idiot!
Anyway, I took off, finally got the Garmin going (I didn't swim with it this year) and finally tried to settle in for the bike. My goal this year was to break the 20mph barrier. Of course, there was a head wind on the outbound.
The bike, overall, felt really good. I passed a lot of people. A lot. I lost count, but I'm guessing around 2 dozen. And I only got passed by a total of 4 people. Much, MUCH better than last year.
I only averaged 17.5mph last year, this year, 19.7. Big improvement. Didn't get the speed I wanted but with the wind and the hills, I'll take the progress.

T.I.T.S
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

I'm happy with this T2. I almost passed my rack, so that cost me a few seconds. Maybe 3-4. But other than that, it was good.

Not miss the rack.
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out of T2 in a hurry, just to be on the course. The first 3/4 of a mile was muddy. I had a cramp in my right calf that worried me. So I focused my time to try to get rid of that. Didn't take long. By the time I was over the dam, it was gone.
Once the calf cramp was gone, I started to find a little bit of a side stitch, but nothing much. More than anything, I couldn't get my legs under me. My breathing was a bit labored, and I just couldn't get my legs under me. I'm not entirely certain if I didn't blow them out on the ride. I'm in a bit of unchartered territory. I was hurting. Breathing hard. Legs hurt.
But I ran well. I was surprised that I did a sub 8:00 pace. Faster than 1:00 pace than last year. I still had to much left over at the end, but I definitely pushed it harder than last year.

Push it harder. Push past the pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, and Beth caught up to me. Walked around a bit, talked to a guy that I talked to a bit waiting to start the race. Went and got some of the food (a bit less than last year, frankly) and noticed they had the initial posting up. And found out what my total time was.
Just found out today that I placed the same as my race number. HA! Talk about coincidence.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not entirely certain. Pushing too hard on the bike?

Event comments:

I will continue to race this race next year. It is so well organized and run. And I'm really happy to see Eric Sarno is doing well.

Last updated: 2007-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:14 | 656 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/39
Overall: 196/445
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: A triangle swim in the lake. Out about 250m to the first buoy, and then about 200m from the first buoy to the second buoy and then about 150m back into shore.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:38 | 15 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/39
Overall: 126/445
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Same out and back as last year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:39 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/39
Overall: 172/445
Performance: Good
Course: Course was almost the same as last year. They by passed the big hill in the forest because of the rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon

2008-06-16 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1468390

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon

Comparisons from 2007.

2007 Time and Pace

Total - 1:35:44

Swim - 12:39 (1:56/100 yd)

T1 - 3:29

Bike - 50:46 (17.73 mph)

T2 - 1:14

Run - 27:59 (9:02/mile)

Overall - 263/610

AG - 33/40

2008-06-16 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1468399

User image

Davenport, IA
Hey, looks like some good times and a good race. Congrats on your improvements from last year. What have you changed in your training to get the improvement in results that you have? It looks like I am shooting for similar goals to yours. Hope I can post some improvement like that in my rr for next year.
I was glad that by the time I got in the water I'd already watched the first people come in and hit the swim area barrier.
Good luck in the rest of your races this year.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2008-06-16 8:47 AM
2008-06-16 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1468477

User image

Champion

Sprint_DA - 2008-06-16 8:31 AM Hey, looks like some good times and a good race. Congrats on your improvements from last year. What have you changed in your training to get the improvement in results that you have? It looks like I am shooting for similar goals to yours. Hope I can post some improvement like that in my rr for next year. I was glad that by the time I got in the water I'd already watched the first people come in and hit the swim area barrier. Good luck in the rest of your races this year.

Last year, I was a beginner.  I had only been training since January at that point.  The bike was brand new (3-4 weeks old) and it was my very first OWS ever.

The biggest thing I've done it not only up my volume but also maintain consistancy in working out.  I now have a decent base and have been doing more sprint/interval/tempo work to speed up. 

2008-06-16 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1468548

User image

Davenport, IA
crowny2 - 2008-06-16 8:53 AM

Sprint_DA - 2008-06-16 8:31 AM Hey, looks like some good times and a good race. Congrats on your improvements from last year. What have you changed in your training to get the improvement in results that you have? It looks like I am shooting for similar goals to yours. Hope I can post some improvement like that in my rr for next year. I was glad that by the time I got in the water I'd already watched the first people come in and hit the swim area barrier. Good luck in the rest of your races this year.

Last year, I was a beginner. I had only been training since January at that point. The bike was brand new (3-4 weeks old) and it was my very first OWS ever.

The biggest thing I've done it not only up my volume but also maintain consistancy in working out. I now have a decent base and have been doing more sprint/interval/tempo work to speed up.

Where you were last year sounds like where I'm at now, except I've had the bike since March instead of just a few weeks. Check out my report if you get a chance.
2008-06-16 9:44 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations on the race and the huge improvement from last year!!!

I always forget to change gears on my bike too. 

2008-06-16 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Good job Crowny - that is a hilly course and the wind was ripping pretty good.  Outstanding improvement.
2008-06-16 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1469010

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Nice work and great improvement!  It always feels great to see that training is paying off.  Well done.
2008-06-16 11:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Insanely fast! Yes, all that work has paid off ... super congratulations on a great race and great improvement!

Sure there were minor snafus on the swim ... but 1:43 is FAST. Well done. And the bike was ssssspeedy for a FLAT, not to mention wind and hills.

And the run ... well, for a quicksand trot, it was still REALLY FAST!!!

That's the joy of triathlon ... anything can happen on that day ... and you met it head on and blasted through it even better than you had before on a fairer day. Well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed