Stony Plain, Alberta
Canada
The Great White North Triathlon
Total Time = 6h 04m 16s
Overall Rank = 437/646
Age Group = F4049
Age Group Rank = 28/65
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Stony Plain Friday. Attended the Carbo-Load/athlete meeting. Enjoyed the drummers. Had a decent sleep.
Saturday, read the paper, had a little ride and run and then a swim at the lake. Went in to Edmonton for some shopping and early supper. Back to Stony Plain for the evening. Dropped off bike at T1. Back at the hotel, watched the hail and heavy rain, and sent happy thoughts to my poor bike. Organized gear. Slept like crap.

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. It was raining. Thought sunny thoughts. Had usual pre-race oatmeal, fruit, yogurt for breakfast. Slathered on sunscreen (see sunny thoughts, above), got dressed, packed gear. Left for site around 6:00 a.m.

Arrived at T1. Huh - the rain stopped! Pumped up tires, put pump, tools, bottles on bike. Ate more fruit, drank more Gatorade. Stood in line for the loo (beat the big line up). Offered encouraging words to some first-timers.
Event warmup:

Climbed into wetsuit around 7:30 then a 10 minute splash in lake. Last minute bike check. Gave extra gear to Max to haul back to car. Stood on beach. Got usual chills listening to the bag-pipers, and usual emotion at Oh Canada. Gun went off, and we started...
Swim
  • 42m 44s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

A decent swim, considering my recent lack of swim training. :)

Followed many good feet, not too much contact. Stayed surprisingly on track. Buoys were busy, but nothing a little dog-paddling couldn't handle. Goggles leaked a couple of times, but not too bad.

Saw a bird soaring above us on the second lap and it made me think of my grandmothers for some reason.

Rain just started to fall again as I came out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Remember to put in a few pick-ups to keep the pace up.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Used the wetsuit stripper, but my hands wouldn't let go of the goggles/swim cap, which made getting the suit off the arms tricky. Brain couldn't comprehend letting go!

I have been riding with no socks for several months, so I followed that plan again today. Much easier not fussing with socks on wet feet.

Leave the goggles/cap until after the wetsuit is off.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 48s
  • 90 kms
  • 31.43 km/hr
Comments:

Time includes T1 and T2.

Rained for the first third, then a brief break, then a little more. Then reasonably nice. Got passed by a few people, but passed more than that. Were a few folks that would pass me going up (or down) and then I'd pass them going down (or up). Gave me something to chase/gauge my progress.

I rode a little conservatively during the rain, especially on the corners. Bike felt a little sluggish in the rain. Knees and toes felt cool for a little bit, but I wished them sun, and that eventually came. :) Took it easy on the big downhills after last year's pothole crash, but the road was perfect. Enjoyed visiting on the uphill sections as I passed people. (Yes, I was passing people going up hill!)

Alternated taking banana and gatorade at the aid stations, except the one where I wanted water and they didn't have any.

Push a little harder in spots and be a little more aggressive? Try different food. More time in the saddle outside in the months leading up to this.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Feet were a little cold, but not too bad. Got socks, shoes, and hat on with no difficulty. Loaded up pockets with GU and walked to the mats.

Not much. Went better than I thought.
Run
  • 2h 29m 45s
  • 21 kms
  • 07m 08s  min/km
Comments:

The run was tough, but I hadn't really put in the training hours.

I walk through each aid station and on the uphill sections. On the "back" part, I started walking at each km marker.

I kept a smile on my face the whole time. I was so grateful that I was there and healthy enough to be doing something like this! I grabbed energy from every person who smiled back.

The blisters on my right feet that have bothered me in recent months were not happy after km 19.

I could hear the thunder in the distance around the turn-around, and I knew it wouldn't be long for the storm to come again... but the rain held off until after I was done.

Alternated taking water and orange slice with gatorade at the aid stations.

More training time in the months leading up.

New socks and shoes. Blistershield or something to help with blisters early on.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected my bike and gear, got a sweaty picture with my sweaty co-worker for work. Loaded up the car and had third-annual post-race Baby Burger with Cheese. Ice bath for the legs. Warm shower. Brief nap. Then off to the awards dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much work and volunteering and not enough training. Maybe lost the mental game during the run too.

Event comments:

My third time at this race, and I still love it. Best organizers and volunteers. Good swag bag too.

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:44 | 2000 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/65
Overall: 369/646
Performance: Average
Suit: Max's Orca Sonar
Course: 2 laps of 400m,200m,400m triangle at Allen Beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:51:48 | 90 kms | 31.43 km/hr
Age Group: 7/65
Overall: 273/646
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Exit Allan Beach along a congested road. North on Allen Beach Road, east on Highway 16, south on Highway 770, west on Highway 627, south on Highway 770. Down to the bridge that crosses the N. Sask. River and up to near the Genesee Power Plant. Then back the same way to Stony Plain, where we turn into T2.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:29:45 | 21 kms | 07m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 49/65
Overall: 540/646
Performance: Below average
Course: From the T2 through downtown, along the river path, around the gazebo, back along the river path, past the school, through a park, and into a newer area, then back the same way. The last bit before the turn around included about 5 km running on concrete sidewalk.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-08 8:46 PM

User image

Subject: The Great White North Triathlon

2008-07-08 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1516023

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Great White North Triathlon
Good job, getting it done on limited training! Congratulations!
2008-07-09 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Great job!
2008-07-10 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
I'm soooo envious of your bike time, still.

Your thoughts on being grateful to be healthy enough to compete remind me of my very similar thoughts at Desert. It's a great feeling when you're having fun.

Congratulations on a great race, and we should run together sometime.

N.
2008-07-10 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Other than all the rain sounds like a great race. I'd like to try this race one day, maybe next year. Great job on driving through on the run! Great job!
2008-07-13 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan

Congrats on the great race!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great White North Triathlon Rss Feed