General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports, Inc.
Total Time = 4h 35m
Overall Rank = 371/384
Age Group = Athena under 40
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up SUPER early (3-ish am) to finish packing up and get on the road. Didn't actually hit the road until close to 4 am, trying to run around and make sure I had everything and get everything situated in the car. Made a bagel w/ peanut butter, put the bike on the car, and off I went. Made it to Elkhart Lake in about 1.5 hours. Left the bike by the side of transition, got checked in and body marked. Proceeded to take my time setting up my transition area...and then having to move it because, evidently, our transition area had to be where our down tire was. Bah. Walked around and talked to fellow Donkeys. Drank some HEED, took some EndruoLytes. Headed out of transition with the wetsuit and waited for things to start.
Event warmup:

Does getting into my wetsuit count? I managed to do it without tearing it this time...
Swim
  • 45m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was REALLY proud of this swim. It is a time trial start (2 at a time, every 5 seconds). I ran into the water and when it got about thigh deep, dove in and just started going for it. Managed to stay with the others in my group for a bit, but they slowly edged ahead (as I expected). The fact that it was a time trial meant that there were always people around, which was interesting and a good learning experience. My sighting wasn't too bad (I was a bit far outside the bouys, but not too horrible) and I was thrilled that my goggles didn't fog up (new goggles within the past week...same type that I always wear, just a different set). It was really kind of cool how clear the lake was, and how far down you could see. I was also proud that I didn't panic at all (I can get the heebee jeebees about water creatures for absolutely no reason in the middle of swimming sometimes...even in pools). I kept a good rhythm for the most part, just swimming along. I think I had the most problems when I had to pee (THREE different times...geesh!) It's not like you can really practice that in the pool (well, I'm sure you could, but it's frowned upon), and my OWS have been as liquid fueled as this one was. Finally figured out how to work that out while still moving forward. I do think I kicked way too much in the beginning. I felt a lot faster when I just concentrated on my pull and let my feet drag behind. On the leg back, I actually managed to pick up on someone to draft off of...that was really cool. I kept swimming until I could touch sand, then I was up. 2 seconds later I was down, as I was off balance and stumbled over something. Cute. Managed to make it out of the water and even do a pseudo-jog up to transition...
What would you do differently?:

Work on swimming faster while maintaining form. Take some more lessons.
Transition 1
  • 06m 19s
Comments:

Ooof...that's long. But, it includes the run up from the swim finish alllllllllllll the way around to the swim in...a ridiculously long path.

This was really long for me, even with the long run, but I wanted to make sure I took some Endurolytes before getting on the bike. I also put on gloves, which I haven't done in a race before. I know that most people don't, but considering that I'm still spending a lot of time in the hoods vs in aero, I needed something to help pad the jarring (hands went terribly numb at Lake Mills)

Practice more.
Bike
  • 2h 02m 7s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 13.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Despite my slow speeds, I was really proud of this bike ride, too. First, it's my longest one to date. Second, well, I made the cut offs. Third, I did awesome on my shifting. There's more, but really, I don't feel the need to justify any more.
The ride out was ok...nothing spectacular, was working the gears pretty well, staying in the small ring so my heart rate stayed down (some of the first hills hurt a bit, but nothing major). There was a headwind on the way out (FUN!), so I tried to be in aero more...doing a better job all the time with that. Saw a lot of peeps on their way back, so lots of encouragement was received. I was doing pretty well, shifting decently, when I saw it. The Hill. I saw in the distance and starting praying...Lord Jesus, please tell me we do not have to go up that hill. Yup, we had to go up the hill. I tried to keep my momentum going from the previous short flat, and working my gears down. I weaved back and forth as per TriDDS cycling tip #58392. Made it about 2/3 of the way up and realized that I had to either get off the bike or fall over. I chose to get off the bike. While I'm not super PROUD of this fact, I knew that I was better off walking it up the rest of the way then killing myself for the next 18 miles or so by sending my heart rate into MI zones. After that, I was off. I managed to get into the big ring for a majority of the rest of the ride, and once I hit the area where we starting heading back, the headwind became a tail wind. Hooray!! Cruised along, staying in aero for as long of stretches as I comfortably could. I got some nifty things on my way back...the volunteers (who I thanked whenever I had breath), an Amish gentleman with his horse and buggy (cool!), the finished athletes who warned about the really tight turn up ahead (thank you!!). After the really tight turn I got a "slick road ahead"...guess someone had decided to mow their lawn. Wet grass in the road. Completely avoided it (yay me!). Continued to wind my way back. Once I got back into Elkhart Lake, on familiar roads taking me back to the Osthoff, I shouted a big "WOO-HOO". I was thrilled with myself. I was going to finish the race.
Oh, about 1/2 way(ish?) through the bike, I took my bike computer off and stuck it in my pocket...it isn't working correctly and kept pausing and starting...the beeping was driving me batty. So, I had no clue how far I'd gone at any point. Bah. And I drank Perp during a race for the first time...worked great! Mixed it w/ flavored water instead of plain, much easier to drink (I'm not a fan of dreamsicles).

Ride more outside, be more comfortable in aero. The fit I had done the week prior to the race REALLY helped a lot. I believe I need to look into a different saddle due to some anatomical discomfort. That would have helped me stay in aero longer.
Transition 2
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Did pretty good getting into transition and getting shoes and helmet off. Gloves took a bit more doing, but they were worth it to me on the bike. While it's disheartening seeing people leaving with their bikes, I just kept trying to remind myself that they did the sprint (even those who didn't...I don't care if I was lying to myself at that point!!) I had to stop to use the porta potty on the way out, so that added some time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 38m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, was I glad I had my bottle of HEED with me.
Trotted out of transition (actually, the portapotty) to see SGoehner and TriDDS cheering me on. Made it down the road and around the corner before stopping for a walk bit. Got to see lots of peeps on their way back, big thumbs up or looking good to and from all. Made my way slowly around the course, up the hills, down the hills. Like I said above, I was really glad that I had my water bottle with me, because some of the water at the aid stations was horribly metallic tasting. So, I sipped my HEED as I trotted along. It was also cool because I gave me a rhythm to move to with the sloshing of the fluid. Very methodical and calming. Every once in awhile, when I would come upon a hill, I would sing to myself something about hills being evil...my brain was twisted at that point. As I was coming towards the final stretch, TriDDS and PJGrande were walking towards me. PJ ran me in, talking to me the whole way (it is VERY HARD not to respond to someone who is talking to you). Right before the finish, she took my water bottle and told me to kick it. I didn't want to, but I did anyway (powers of persuasion...she has them).

Run more. This was my first 10k...in any way, shape or form.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbing food along the way (oh, that bagel was yummy). Meandered my way to my transition spot to pack up and head over to the TriDDS EL HQ.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me, myself and I
I'm putting this as a good race for me, though...because it was my first Oly, and I finished, and I made the cut offs, and that is what I was most worried about.

Event comments:

I would do this one again, but definitely need to work the hills...yikes!

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:08 | 1640 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 0/384
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion Fluid Full
Course: I don't even know how to describe the shape of the swim. So I won't.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:02:07 | 27.96 miles | 13.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Up and down various hills all around Sheboygan and Calumet Counties. Don't know the NSEW of it, so if you wanna know, look at the map.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:38:19 | 06.21 miles | 15m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Below average
Course: Lots of rights, then a turn around, then more rights and a couple lefts.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-08 9:28 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Wow...just realized this is really long.  Sorry, folks, it was my first OLY!

Edited by maggyruth 2008-07-08 9:31 PM

2008-07-09 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1516106

User image

Expert
London, UK
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job Magster Dragster. 1st OLY done and dusted.
2008-07-09 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
Excellent job Peggy! You're quite descriptive.....lol....
2008-07-09 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Excellent job!
2008-07-09 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Great race report.  Very descriptive  What kind of water creatures do you see in the pool?  Where do you swim?  I will not go to that pool.  LOL.
2008-07-09 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Awesome race!  Well done!!!!  Seriously.  Totally proud of all the progress you have made over the last year. 

2008-07-10 4:43 PM

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
That's one of the most entertaining RR I've ever read...great job on completing your first Oly. I love the bike course review; some of those hills were crazy. Great job.
2008-07-10 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Awesome race and great race report Peggy. You should be really proud of this accomplishment. I'm sure there will be many more.
2008-07-10 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
hahahah Putting on the wetsuit!! how fun is that! i really like you.

you are the funniest thinker! No panic!!! arggghhhh peopel like you make me panic, even when i am not swimming!

missed th wet grass-- good thing, it was actually the vortex trying to gobble you up! We remember the funniest things.

YOU ARE SO PROUD! and that is very exciting! An oly was my first triathlon and it took me over 5 hours,,, I think it was like 5:32.....

the effection you have for your friends, an the support you recieved...

geee whiz! this is just a great, emotional, transparent, REAL DANG RACE REPORT!

you really rule!

FF
2008-07-11 7:46 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Check it out--you're an OLYMPIC TRIATHLETE! Yes, you are, no need to fuss about fine details. Eeeeaaw from an honorary donkey.

Super, super job all round, especially with a fast swim (btw, OF COURSE getting into a wetsuit counts as warmup) on a weird course and then killing it on the hills.

2008-07-11 8:17 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Awesome Peggy! Loved your report and will remember your perserverance when I do my first oly in August. I haven't even swam in a wetsuit yet but plan to for it so my T1 may look like 20:00 mins so yours looks pretty good to me.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed