Total Time = 3h 54m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 246/261
Pre-race routine:

My goals for this race were to

a) beat my previous Olympic time of 4:22
b) have a time under 4:00

I hadn't been training quite as much as I wanted to, but I figured I stood a pretty good shot.

For the race, I woke up at 4:00 am. Got dressed, grabbed the bottles out of the cooler and headed out of the hotel. It was weird to see how many people were out. I'm guessing they hadn't been home yet. Here I was, reasonably well rested (went to bed at 9 pm) and getting ready for a race. Interesting dichotomy. Walked down the street to the Hilton to catch a shuttle bus. When I got there only one was running. After about a half an hour, another one showed up. Joy. Got a chance to talk to a lot of people in line, including someone from the Richmond Tri Club.

Took the shuttle to transition. Set up the rest of my transition area (bike got checked in the day before) and left with the wetsuit to get body marked and head to the swim start.
Event warmup:

No swim warmups are allowed, but I did walk a lot. Swim start was on 96th street, my transition area as between 72nd and 75th. Got to walk all the way up. I was wearing flip flops, which was a bad call because I never walk that much in flip flops. Made it up near the start, picked up my chip, and dropped off extra shoes and clothes I was wearing.

Then, got in my wetsuit and stood in my corral in time to see the pros go by. Got to see all of the jellyfish in the river. At first I thought they were trash because I really didn't want to believe I had to swim through jellyfish.
Swim
  • 24m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goal for the swim was to beat the infamous bag of Cheetos that allegedly finished the swim in 30:00.

We got in a few minutes before our swim start time. Had to grab a cable so that we wouldn't get swept down the river. The current was really strong!! I was towards the front and I had a ton of people behind me pushing. Not pleasant. At one point, I got fliped to the other side of the cable, which was a little scary. Managed to hang on until the swim start.

The start was pure chaos! I'd never been in a start like this. I kept getting pushed under by people swimming on top of me, so I was having a hard time breathing. It felt like forever before I got to the 300 meter mark (they put signs up on the sea wall to tell you the distance). Around that mark, I started getting in a breathing rhythm that worked well - every three strokes - only had problems when the big boats would go by. Between 600 and 900 meters I started getting stung. I noticed that the top of my right foot was burning, but I wasn't sure it was a jellyfish. Then I got one in my face and neck. Yuck!! Kept going as well as I could, but the stings were making me freak out a bit. After the 900 meter mark, I actually got my right foot wrapped up in one. I was so happy when I could finally see the finish pier. It was kind of a scary swim.

I got to the finish pier where they had lots of volunteers to help pull us up. I was really glad they were there. The muck at the bottom was so thick that it was really hard to get up.

I did make my goal of beating the Cheetos!!
What would you do differently?:

Not get stung by jellyfish. Try to keep my cool at the beginning when there were so many people around me and I was having a hard time catching my breath.
Transition 1
  • 10m 35s
Comments:

Made it out and up to the sidewalk along the river. I had a very long walk back to transition. The swim exit was on 79th street and the entrance to my transition area was on 72nd street. Not fun.

Tried to remember to move the goggles to the top of my head until I got the wetsuit sleeves off so I could tuck the cap and goggles in the sleeve. That made it a lot easier to run and not have to hold them in my hand. Ducked under the showers they had set along the walk.

By the time I got to transition, my feet hurt from the jellyfish stings and running on the pavement. I had an extra bottle of water just to rinse them off, so once I got my wetsuit off (had to sit to get the right foot out) I rinsed off my feet as well as I could.

Didn't put on socks during this transition...just wore the bike shoes with no socks. Grabbed my bike and ran to the other side of transition to exit.

It was slow, but I really wanted to take the time to rinse off my feet and wipe some of the jellyfish crap off. I don't think there's too much to be done with how far away my transition area was.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Right after the chip mat for T1 was a medical tent were the three volunteers were doing their best to help everyone who had jellyfish stings. I was there for about 5 minutes wiping down my face and neck and around my ankles. Couldn't get to the sting on my feet, but it was nice that they were prepared and really helpful. If I subtract those 5 minutes, my pace was a lot closer to 15 mph than 14.

Pedaled out of transition and around the paths in the park until I got to the hill to street level. What I thought was a low gear was not actually a low gear. Still getting used to the tri bike. I did make it up and headed on to the highway.

This ride was insanely crowded. I am actually surprised I never got a drafting penalty because there were constantly people around me and I just couldn't do anything. I tried to stay to the right as much as I could, but at some points I was riding three across.

The course was hilly than I was expecting and my legs did not feel up for it. They were very tired after all of the walking around for the past few days that I had done. That was probably not a great plan on my part.

Still, I tried to push up the hills as much as I could. For some of them, I was definitely just surviving and keeping the pedals turning was as much as I could. Tried to make up for it on the downhills and use that momentum going into the next set of hills.

I wish I had been more familiar with the course. I would have paced myself better.

For the first 5 or 6 miles, I didn't eat or drink anything. Finally, I started thinking about it and forced myself to eat a bag of Clif Shot Blocks over the rest of the course and both of the bottles of Nuun that I had. That was a little hard because I just didn't feel hungry or thirsty.

I felt like the bike took forever. By the end, my back was killing me from being in aero and my legs felt like they were on fire. Not a very good sign knowing that I still had a run to do.

Not walk around so much in the days before I race! That was really dumb and I'm sure caused a lot of my problems. Get more comfortable being in aero.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Got back and found my rack right away, which made me happy. When I put my bike on the rack, I knocked over the bike next to me, so I had to set those back up. That cost me time.

Put on socks, slipped on my shoes, grabbed my race number and a Gu and headed out.

Not be so tired that I knock bikes over.
Run
  • 1h 31m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run was going to kill me. I hadn't been able to run as much as I would like because of the abdominal pain that had been plaguing me earlier in the year. It was gone, but I am still really worried about it flaring up.

Right after you leave transition, there is a large hill to get back up to street level. A few people in the New York forum suggested not trying to run up it, but to walk and get your breathing under control before you get to street level. That was good advice and I did just that. I started running on the street and was completely amazed at the number of people lining 72nd street going into Central Park. I've never experienced anything like that.

First mile was right as we go into Central Park. I was running (or shuffling...who knows) and continued to do so through mile 2. Some hills after mile 2 that I walked up because I was so tired and hot. Somehow I slogged through to mile 3. At the water stop after mile 3, I had a Gu.

All along the route, tons of people doing their workouts were shouting encouragement. Tons of volunteers doing the same. It was really nice to see.

At mile 4, the water stop volunteers had a hose. I ran through it and it was so helpful. Unfortunately, my shoes got soaked and I could feel my feet squishing in them. Didn't help the pain. But, I wasn't overheating anymore so that was helpful.

We passed a pool near mile 5. I really wanted to jump in. Looked so much better than finishing the race. I started asking people what time it was so I knew how close I was to my goal. I figured it would be close, but there probably wasn't much of a way.

There was no 6 mile marker. We went around a corner and someone said 500 yards, so I started running a little faster. I think he was lying though. We had to go around another corner and then a loop before the finishing line and turn. The end of the course was really confusing. At the loop, one of the wheelchair racers had gone off the curb (because there was no ramp for them!! Terrible!) and looked like he was in bad shape. Poor guy. He was so close to the finish. There were plenty of people trying to help so I kept going.

The whole end of the course was completely packed with people. I couldn't believe how many people came out to support this race!! I rounded a corner and got into the finishing shoot and just kept running as much as I could until I crossed the finish line.

Train more!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish chute. Got a cold towel for my head. Got a medal and a cap and a bottle of Vitamin Water. Made it through to the area to call family (how cool is that?) and called Andy so we knew where to meet.

Met up with Andy, then FINALLY got to go to the bathroom (I had to go the whole race). Walked around the post-race stuff. I had a foot ice bath at the Crocs tent, which felt great. Lots of free samples.

Then we walked over to Tavern on the Green and caught a pedi-cab over to transition. That was an interesting ride! I packed up transition, took the subway back to the hotel, showered and napped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was really tired going into the race, both mentally from exams the week before and physically from all the walking I'd done.

I don't think I had enough time on the tri bike before the race and I know I hadn't been running enough.

Still, I managed to make both of my goals, so I consider this race a success.

Event comments:

This is one of the best organized events I've ever done. They do a wonderful job keeping everything running smoothly and taking care of the athletes. I highly recommend this one.

Last updated: 2007-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:37 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/261
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 2 Full Suit
Course: Point to point swim in the Hudson with the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:45:17 | 24.85 miles | 14.16 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:31:06 | 06.21 miles | 14m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-24 1:33 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2008-07-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1556251

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon

Comparison to previous Olympic time:

Naylor's Beach (2006)
New York City (2008)
Swim
55:10
24:37
T1
3:17
10:35
Bike
1:53:30
1:45:17
T2
???
2:34
Run
1:29:51
1:31:06
Total
4:21:47
3:54:06

2008-07-24 2:13 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Wow Jen!  Sounds more like escape from New York than the NYC tri...

I might have seriously dropped out of the race if I knew the swim start involved a cable and the other tri competitors were JELLYFISH!!!  That's COURAGE...

Great tri...congrats on a PR!

2008-07-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1556445

User image

MotoQueen
Wow, great improvement in your times. Most definately in the swim. Way to go Girl!

Scary about the jelly fish.

Edited by kns57 2008-07-24 2:19 PM
2008-07-24 2:22 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Congrats on a great race! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
2008-07-24 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Great race! You overcame alot you should be proud!

2008-07-24 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice job on the race, with all the logistics and walking around that's not an easy one to PR at.
That was a tough swim to get through and you did not panic, nice!
2008-07-24 5:18 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

What Courage you have!!!!!

I would have been screaming by the second jellyfish and panicking wiht the jf around my foot.  Yep, definitely think I would have DNF'd before T1....

Great job sticking with it!!!!

2008-07-24 5:21 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
OMG! The way you described the swim reminds me of what I read in IM race reports minus the jellyfish. You are such a studette to get through it and want to do it again. Congrats on beating your goal!!
2008-07-24 6:51 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Excellent job!  You beat your goal time and PR'd in tough cicumstances.  Don't know if I would have gotten in with the jellies willingly.
2008-07-24 8:02 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Great race Jen!  and a awesome report

I did chuckle at the fact that you felt trash would be more desireable to swim in - tough choices

You did an awesome job in every way possible!  Congrats  

2008-07-25 12:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

That would be a GREAT swim time ... and it is AWESOME considering the current, the huge rugby match, and the nasty jellies.

Super job toughing out the hills despite the travelled legs.

Great job sticking with it on the run after all that and having struggled in training with the health and pain problems.

CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT RACE AND PR!

2008-08-05 1:26 AM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
They canceled a swim on one of my races due to jellyfish influx, excellent job pushing through the pain! Congratulations on getting faster!
2008-08-05 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1581849

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Great job Jen, wonderful job on making your goals.

2008-08-05 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
WHOO WHOO! Congrats, Jen!

Just think how much you're going to rock Patriots...when you only have to swim over me & Judi and not jellyfish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed