Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 15h 54m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Lake Placid Wednesday afternoon. We rented a house just off of Mirror Lake Drive so my MOM & MIL wouldn't have to travel too far on race day. After unpacking headed down for a swim and did one loop of the course in 41 minutes felt good but was wondering if I would get close to the underwater rope during the race.

Thursday went to the BT swim start (I didn't swim) and saw Rob, Allison, KathyG, Scout and a few others. Met up with my friend Tomo and we headed down to race registration and got on my famed silver IMLP competitor wrist band, made sure timing chip worked and got light blue swim cap. The best part is Tomo explained the whole transition set up, what to do, what to watch out for etc. really helped put me at ease and allowed me to relax some.

Met Jessxu for a ride Thursday afternoon and we rode 11 miles or so. We chatted as much as we rode. :)

Friday I headed down to the BT swim and swam with JessXU, her BIL & my SIL swam with us. 30 miutes or so. Felt a little better than WED swim.

Most of my crew arrived Friday night and we had a nice meal of Pasta, sauce, chicken, salad, steak, asparaugus and italian bread. Hit the sack around 11PM but my mind was already in race mode and I fell asleep around 1AM.

Saturday - Dropped off my bike, stopped by and saw JessXU, KathyG stopped by and my coach arrived which put me at ease. Packed all my gear bags and decided to keep them with me until morning since rain was expected overnight. Ate more pasta, chicken, bread, ice cream sandwich etc and headed off to bed around 10:30 but of course couldn't sleep. I was really nervous about the swim start, getting a flat, the weather, 20 people here to watch and all the Peeps on BT tracking me. The pressure was getting to me & I started to think what if I couldn't finish. Ugh, then I would think positive and say I just need to get past the first 5 minutes of the swim, take one loop, then the next and break down the race into pieces. Finally asleep at 1:30 or so.

Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:30 AM and ate 2 packets of kashi raisin spice oatmeal, coffee, ham and 1/2 english muffin. Took a Hot shower & shaved, used the rest room, grabbed my bags and out I went.

I was actually pretty calm race morning and stopped by Bike and Run special needs left bage and off to transition to pump up tires, saw Tomo as he racked 4 bikes over (again helped with nerves to see someone I know). Used restroom again, got body marked and hooked back up with Tomo, my coach & Mike (Hot Tamales husband). Body glide on, wetsuit on, ate 1/2 a banana & took 1000 mil of asprin.

Hugs around, well wishes and off Tomo and I go.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 22s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

My plan was to start with Tomo and see what happens. We get into the water, I turn and look for my family which I can't find, turn back and now I can't find Tomo. I start to panic, I only see light blue caps & hot pink caps and goggles everywhere. Decide to head towards the middle of start line seed myself about 10 - 12 people back and calm down. I look back and 1/2 the people are standing in knee deep water and big gap between those of us treading water and the rest. I said OK KSH lets go....7AM gun goes off and immediatly I get raked by a fingernail in the face, and we are packed in. Keep swimming but almost like an accordian and we would go and then slow, go and then slow. POW a fist to my Jaw, more startling than painful and I think that woke me up. I said just keep swimming it has to open up sooner or later.

About 500 yards out I culd see the lane line and things started to open up. I was getting some good drafts from a guy and stayed behind him until the turn which was again bottled up and crazy. Made the turn and found a Pink cap to draft behind and nice and easy. It is so funny to watch people swim. I really pull hard, glide long and hardly kick, others kick very hard the entire time and arms almost twice as fast as mine entering the water. See the swim exit, stand up, think phew one loop down (38 minutes and change) one more to go. Jump back in get going, find the line, others around me, start thinking of Lawerchick and ask her to get aggressive and clear me a path...LOL (I really thought that) 2nd loop goes very well and before you know it I'm getting out of the water and it is POURING.

Ater the first 200 yards it was OK, after 500 yards I knew I would get out of the water and onto the next portion of race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Exited the water and it was Pouring but the crowds were going crazy, and I saw most of my peeps cheering me on. I ran past Hot Tamale and her daughter Mandy and high 5's then saw Vanessa and my wife which I stopped and gave her a kiss then ran down to transition. Thought...OK Swifty your turn.

What a mess, mud already everywhere get my bag into transition tent and it is so steamy HOT in there you can bearly see. get on shoes, helmet, sun glasses on front of shirt (I never did need them) nutrition into shirt and off I went.

Not much.
Bike
  • 7h 43m 42s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The first couple of miles had tons of riders and you couldn't really pass or get passed. Raining hard and first mile down hill with lot of braking to not hit the riders in front of you. second mile down by horse stables and still pretty clogged. Tires in front of you tossing lots of water back at you etc. Feel pretty good first 7 miles and then hit Keene 6 mile downhill and I took it pretty fast even with the weather conditions. Ate gel or nutrition every 20 minutes.

Note: Enduralytes in my Bento box disinigrated in the rain and just caused a mess.

Turn onto 9 mile flat section and have good pace going, slow at each aid station and grab water refills and pour into Aero bottle. Each corner and turn are basically single file and taken in such away as to not spill or hit the rider turning just before or after you etc. JessXU passed me just about mile 25 and as I say hey JESS, she looks back and almost gets in accident (whoops...sorry Jess) Out and back goes great, good on climb back to Placid but the rain is throwing down and a rider would pass me and I would say "Is this swim almost over" would laugh with the rider and keep going. Hey atleast it wasn't Humid and 95 degrees. The other part was once you got soaked you couldn't get any wetter. Just being SAFE was the main concern. Lots of flat tires on the course and I would just keep saying ...please don't flat, please don't flat. Polly passed me on Northwoods and said "Hey Tom" at about 54 miles and it was nice to hear a friendly voice. Hit Mirror Lake Drive, saw my family and they all screamed...It was Awesome to see them all and I felt bad that they had to be out in the rain all day.

Stopped at bike special needs grabbed new fluid nutition bottles, gummy lifesavors, new gel flask and a poptart (brown sugar cinnamin) which tased great after all those gels.

headed into town was pumped that I had just about completed first loop took turn onto road with all the flags a little to fast and almost biffed it into the spectator safety fence (had about 7 inches to spare) with really wet surface (Heart in throat) Mental note: Much slower here 2nd loop. Not sure of exact time but about 3:35 - 3:38 I think.

2nd loop much of the same, just a little slower and then from the Hungry trout back into town (about 11 miles) I really slowed down. Stopped to relieve myslef 3 times during bike course.

2nd loop slowed more than I had hoped but it was all new. Never gone 112 and especially not sith such a hilly end. think loosing my endurolytes didn't help either. Pam (stumfossil) passed me on Northwoods the second loop and it was nice to see her as I was wondering how she was doing.

Took that tight turn back into transition much slower this time.

put endurolytes in rain proof container.
Transition 2
  • 15m 32s
Comments:

Oh, so wet, muddy etc. There was a guy in transition sitting there with bike shoes & helmet still on just sitting there. I took off bike shoes, feet just wrinkled mess, tried to dry them off appl body glide, thought about bandaid for toe that always seems to blister but then figured the rain wouldn't allow it to stick and it would be just in my sock.

MY lower back was stiff and they had an ART massage guy that I waited in line for and got my back stretched a bit. Took about 5 minutes to wait and get stretched but I figured it was worth it. thus the extra T2 time.
Run
  • 6h 25m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off in the rain again and run shoes soaked after just a mile or two. I think I hit the 3 mile mark in just over 33 minute and 5 miles in just over 1 hour but not exactly sure as I just wore my Ironman watch. Was going to wear the Garmin but with all the rain decided against.

Nice to see all the other runners on the course and I saw Polly twice, Juliapurr, Friend Kevin from Michigan,Tomo & KathyG who now I knew along with myself would finish and become Ironmen today....that made me smile :)

After 8 miles I really slowed down ad walked the hills and shuffled (insert Death march) my right leg was starting to lock up but I knew I could basically walk the rest and still finish. It was all good. reached the 12.5 mile mark and my family and friends went nuts and that gave me extra motivation. Coach Judy had a rain bag on and ran with me some (or I should say she could basically walk as fast as I was shuffling LOL). each aid staion I got either, water, gels, chicken broth..which was so good and warm on this wet day, coke. the funniest thing when the lady says to me "would you like a wet spunge" I said "No thank you...I've had enough water today" UGH - finally the rain stopped with about 2 hours for me to finish.

I kept my sense of humor and would high 5 someone in the crowd and say RElay...your turn and they would laugh. One girl who had finished and was pushing her bike home....I asked if I could borrow her bike (about 3 miles to go in race).

Hit mirror lake drive, head back towards ovall and I am in such joy and happiness that I forgot how much my legs hurt. Hit the stadium hear Karen and friends yell to me. Turn in see all my friends and family point up to Karen in the stands and head towrds the finish line. Cross the banner in 15:54:31 and so surprised to be caught by Hot Tamale and give her the biggest hug I could muster at that time.

Perfect ending to a perfect day.

I am an IRONMAN!

After the swim and first loop of the bike I thought I might actually be able to break 15 hours or real close but after the 2nd loop realized that wouldn't be possible but that I could go sub 16. Kept that in mind and kept pushing mile per mile and made sure I was on pace to finish under 16 hours.

I had a great time, awesome support on course and of course all of you watching out for me all over the country! You all ROCK and seriously couldn't have done it without all of you.

Thank you, THANK you, THANK YOU!!!
Post race

Last updated: 2008-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:22 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:43:42 | 112 miles | 14.49 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 56 mile loops.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 15:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:25:57 | 26.2 miles | 14m 44s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 13.1 mile loops (some hills)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-26 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2008-07-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1560913

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Yay!!!  You had such a great race in spite of the awful weather.  You had such a great attitude about it which is so important.  Glad I could be of service on that swim   It was great to track you as you went along.  Congrats, Ironman!!!
2008-07-26 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Tom!

You are an Ironman...we did it

Awesome attitude and what a fun day in miserable weather....shows we are tough.

It was great this past year encouraging you, having you tease me, riding together and becoming Ironman same day.

You rock!!! 

2008-07-26 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great race! Congrats Ironman!
2008-07-26 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Yeah Tom!!!!! Congratulations Ironman . Way to gut it out and finish strong.
Btw- I love the comment you made out on the run course about my running style- LOL! That one made me laugh whenever I thought about it .
2008-07-26 10:43 AM

User image

Master
CT

Great job IRONMAN!! Glad you stayed upright on that nasty turn!

What a great day, in spite of all that danged rain!! 

2008-07-26 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Great race and great race report Tom!  You did such an awesome job on your first ironman.  You posted a really great time for a first and you did it in the pouring rain!  Just finishing in those conditions is amazing.  Congratulations IRONMAN!!  I am so proud of you!!
2008-07-26 4:34 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
congratulations Tom !!! Aweosem job and great RR Good to meet you and the family too
2008-07-26 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Of course you already know this....but YOU ARE AWESOME!  Way to go!  Such a terrible day weather-wise, but you toughed it out and finished!  (And yeah, at least it wasn't HOT, I guess!)
2008-07-27 7:35 AM

User image

What a great race and race report! You are the best, Tom! I'll bet you lifted everyone's spirits on the race course tha way you do on the forum, too.

I think it was smart to take the extra time in T2 for a massage. It probably helped on the run.

One final note--if you thin endurolytes looked bad after a soaking in the ran, imagine what your bento box would have looked like it you had stuck poptarts in there! LOL! 

2008-07-27 9:58 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

TC, sounds like you survived some tough weather conditions to become an ironman.  way to go!  And to think I knew you way back when we were all on RWOL.

It sounds like you had some great support at the race to keep you motivated, but no doubt your great sense of humor helped keep you afloat through all the rain.  Way to go.

Great race report.  need more food details though

2008-07-28 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! You did such a great job! What a joy is has been to watch you morph into the athlete you are today!

Thanks for allowing me to swim with you! I appreciate it!

Congratulations Ironman!
2008-07-28 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Congrats - It was a tough day out there. Way to stick with it and become IRON!
2008-07-28 8:56 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

WOW!! What an AMAZING experience!! Haha - I can't believe how waterlogged you must've been, LOL. Are you sure you didn't just float on through that whole thing? I mean, where was the struggle? Your report is SO cool and you can tell how you just had the BEST attitude and that you TOTALLY brightened other people's IM experiences too. That's why I LOVE YA TC!!!!!!!

2008-07-29 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Knew you would have the BEST cheering section..and that you would stick it out to the end.Tough conditions for even the "seasoned pros"...! huge transition from even a year ago training wise for you.so grateful no bike issues or crash....Congratulations on surviving & smiling a most excellent adventure!!..IRONMAN. !!!!(HUG)
2008-07-30 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome race report!! It has been a pleasure to watch your IM journey and to see it all end so well is just great! I am amazed at how calm you were!

Way to tough it through those weather conditions! It made it harder and you were up for the challenge- well done!

Congratulations Ironman!!!! I hope it has sunk in bynow!

2008-08-28 4:48 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Just an awesome race Tom

I am looking forward to the day when we can run on the course together and trade high fives. (Sounds like there were a lot of cool kid sightings throughout the day but I bet they were happy to see you run by)

I had the same thing happen to me during the swim. POW!!! It is more of a shock then anything else I suppose but I saw stars for a while after that.

You really put in a solid bike ride and I think your training really prepared you well for the hills. (Not to mention some great course knowledge with you living so close)

The run is always where things get tough but you really hung in there and made it happen. High fiving everyone and cheering others in true TC Fashion. (I am sure you cheered up others as much as you cheered yourself along the way)

Your experience with LP was way tougher than mine because you had buckets of rain falling from the sky throughout the day but it did not seem to slow you down.

Oh, and I agree that is the coolest to come around the Olympic Oval and see Claudia as your catcher.

Awesome day

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed