General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL vs IMAZ vs IMLP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-07-28 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: IMFL vs IMAZ vs IMLP

For those of you that have done any of these, how would you compare the courses? Vibe? Community support?

I've been to FL and did Lake Placid. Downsides to FL is ocean swim, lack of community support, but good time of year and bike course if flat. How does wind compare to LP hills? Most of the women I know my age shared their bike split is about an hour faster in FL than LP. I haven't been to IMAZ how does wind potential compare between FL and AZ?

I don't perform well with heat or humidity mostly running. Ideal race temp is about 70 or less for me.

I liked IMLP and have a voucher for next year and it is crunch time to decide to sign up or not. I will do it again but I'm thinking not next year as I want to spend some off season time working on getting faster.

To work on getting faster my coach suggested a year of doing shorter events as going faster short will help me get faster going longer..as it is hard to build speed and endurance at the same time. Doing a November IM fits into this plan much better than July as season can be 15 vs 12 months. If I choose to do LP we'd have to skip a couple of months and not work as much of speed.

Any helpful insights to make this decision easier?

2008-07-28 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1565573

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: IMFL vs IMAZ vs IMLP
Have you considered Coeur d'Alene?

Having done both CdA and LP I would rate both of these races very high in terms of community support, fun courses and nice weather. (Both are Green and Leafy and usually on the cool side with temps)

I am doing Arizona in '09 more because of the fact that this is a "Local" race and can do it on the cheap. I cannot afford to be spending $10k every year on races
2008-07-28 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1565585

User image

Champion
MA

WaterDog66 - 2008-07-28 6:10 PM Have you considered Coeur d'Alene?

Having done both CdA and LP I would rate both of these races very high in terms of community support, fun courses and nice weather. (Both are Green and Leafy and usually on the cool side with temps)

I am doing Arizona in '09 more because of the fact that this is a "Local" race and can do it on the cheap. I cannot afford to be spending $10k every year on races

No CDA is to early and doesn't allow for any speed type work. Cold water and me not so good. My husband did suggest it though.

I could do the new local Plymouth IM distance race next year and sleep at home...very cheap $350 entry fee. I'm doing it as a relay this year to sort of check it out and see what I think as a possible option for next year. It would probably save $7K but the vibe may be hugely different...we'll see. With only 500 folks participants not so many folks are in the 15-17 hour time frame. 

2008-07-28 5:15 PM

User image

I can only speak to IMAZ, and it doesn't sound at all like the "community support" you get from say a smaller town like LP or CdA.  THAT SAID......  because it is not a small town, you are not going to be locked into a 5 night minimum anywhere.  You can get lodging for as many or as few nights as you want, and the prices are not IM exorbitant.  It's a regular town, just happens to have a race going on, along with lots of other stuff.

From my info (well, bryancd....) could be hot, could be cold, coulkd be windy, could be calm, but highly unlikely to have the heat/wind combo of April.  I am thinking TTL will be a bit chilly though in Nov.  I saw the ave temps somewhere, and I want to say low 60s..... (then again, friend did FL the year it was freezing cold in the a.m.

I've posted this before, but my friend did LP and 4/08 AZ, said AZ was head and shoulders harder than LP.

Edited by ChrisM 2008-07-28 5:17 PM
2008-07-28 5:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-28 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1565591

Champion
Carlsbad, California
KathyG - 2008-07-28 3:14 PM

No CDA is to early and doesn't allow for any speed type work. Cold water and me not so good. My husband did suggest it though.

I could do the new local Plymouth IM distance race next year and sleep at home...very cheap $350 entry fee. I'm doing it as a relay this year to sort of check it out and see what I think as a possible option for next year. It would probably save $7K but the vibe may be hugely different...we'll see. With only 500 folks participants not so many folks are in the 15-17 hour time frame. 

Yeah, I understand why CdA would be less than ideal

I would imaging any late season race would be preferrable because you can train through the Spring/Summer.

I will be interested in hearing what others have to say in terms of comparing LP to Arizona. Both do have their challenges but with the new Arizona Timeslot, it will be very interesting to see if weather continues to be a big issue or not.

2008-07-28 5:27 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, since there hasn't been a race in AZ in Nov yet, I would think it would be hard to really determine what it would be like.

I was there in April. No offense to everyone who likes that course... but I don't know why anyone would want to race it. Dull scenery. Running on dirt paths that kick horrible dust up everywhere. Eh. I didn't see anything there that screamed "come here and race!". That's just me though.

Haven't been to Florida... but I'll pass on swimming where you could get stung by a jelly fish. Growing up on the coast, seeing them at the beach... has put the fear into me.
2008-07-28 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1565623

2008-07-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1565640

PennState - 2008-07-28 3:32 PM

KSH - 2008-07-28 6:27 PM Well, since there hasn't been a race in AZ in Nov yet, I would think it would be hard to really determine what it would be like. I was there in April. No offense to everyone who likes that course... but I don't know why anyone would want to race it. Dull scenery. Running on dirt paths that kick horrible dust up everywhere. Eh. I didn't see anything there that screamed "come here and race!". That's just me though. Haven't been to Florida... but I'll pass on swimming where you could get stung by a jelly fish. Growing up on the coast, seeing them at the beach... has put the fear into me.

Don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you going to be swimming in the Ohio river? There are some people who would fear this more than jellyfish

Well, the e coli will kill the jellyfish, so there's nothing to worry about

IMAZ may not be pretty, but for some of us it's only a car ride away

[/hijack off]

2008-07-28 5:41 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Oh, the desert is not such a bad place and can be quite beautiful in the Fall/Winter.

I have done a couple of races in Arizona (Running Races) and it's not so bad. I actually rate the Tucson Marathon very near the top of my list of great destination marathons. The run down from Oracle was pretty spectacular

And Chris is right about one thing. (Well, many things but this one thing in particular) This town surely can handle the Ironman.  One good thing about Arizona is that it won't be nearly as crowded and overblown as RnR Marathon in January which had ~20,000 runners this year 

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-07-28 5:42 PM
2008-07-28 5:44 PM

2008-07-28 5:46 PM

2008-07-28 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1565623

Mesa
KSH - 2008-07-28 3:27 PM

Well, since there hasn't been a race in AZ in Nov yet, I would think it would be hard to really determine what it would be like.

I was there in April. No offense to everyone who likes that course... but I don't know why anyone would want to race it. Dull scenery. Running on dirt paths that kick horrible dust up everywhere. Eh. I didn't see anything there that screamed "come here and race!". That's just me though.

Haven't been to Florida... but I'll pass on swimming where you could get stung by a jelly fish. Growing up on the coast, seeing them at the beach... has put the fear into me.

(Not to pick on KSH but...)

There really isn't any dust from those man made hard packed dirt portions of the course and it gives your knees a little relief from the pavement.

The only dust comes from the surrounding desert that has blowing dust and except when there is a haboob, it really isn't bad in the city area.

I have done IMAZ and personally would pick a different race but it is non-M-dot and difficult (note: more scenery generally = more difficulty).

Edited by chile7473 2008-07-28 5:50 PM
2008-07-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1565673

Champion
MA
PennState - 2008-07-28 6:44 PM

I would love to do IMAZ, it's the distance from where I live that's the issue. There is not an easy course. All can be rough. The weather at IMAZ was horrendous this year. Lake Placid was pretty rough too! Florida is tough, as there are no downhills to recover. The salt water swim is tough as it causes more dehydration.

Kathy, I would do LP, because that's what I am signed up for

IMAZ sounds good too, but IMFL would be nice to do and I was told it is very family friendly.

I thought seriously about doing IMKY next year, (both LP and Louisville are 8-9hrs. away), but the concern I had was for heat (which you can get at LP, but an IM in KY in Aug. seems hotter to me). I still will do KY some year, but LP is so frickin' beautiful

I agree with your assessments Fred of the various courses. KY is not an option to hot/humid is the norm and I wouldn't do well.

It is the speed block I want to work on that makes LP tough next year. If I pull the plug and stop my season early with some off and down time it could work. But I love to ride in the fall and hope to do lots of riding and try cycle cross which conflicts.

Of course doing the race with you would rock, but seems like I always get crappy abnormal weather so maybe you'd enjoy it more without me there  

Decisions...decisions...it isn't easy.... but it is fun...

2008-07-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1565689

Champion
MA

chile7473 - 2008-07-28 6:49 PM
KSH - 2008-07-28 3:27 PM Well, since there hasn't been a race in AZ in Nov yet, I would think it would be hard to really determine what it would be like. I was there in April. No offense to everyone who likes that course... but I don't know why anyone would want to race it. Dull scenery. Running on dirt paths that kick horrible dust up everywhere. Eh. I didn't see anything there that screamed "come here and race!". That's just me though. Haven't been to Florida... but I'll pass on swimming where you could get stung by a jelly fish. Growing up on the coast, seeing them at the beach... has put the fear into me.
(Not to pick on KSH but...) There really isn't any dust from those man made hard packed dirt portions of the course and it gives your knees a little relief from the pavement. The only dust comes from the surrounding desert that has blowing dust and except when there is a haboob, it really isn't bad in the city area. I have done IMAZ and personally would pick a different race but it is non-M-dot and difficult (note: more scenery generally = more difficulty).

Silverman?

Those hilly courses would be easier if my power/weight ratio was a bit better on the bike.

Non M Dot races..have a good vibe? What about slow finishers..folks still around when you finish? 

2008-07-28 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1565695

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Having done LP and FL I would definitely pick LP over FL again.  And I plan to sign up for '10 LP because the course is beautiful, the local is great, I can bring the whole family again and make another vacation out of it (versus trying to take the kids out of school for a week to make FL one).

Plus, you are a strong cyclist and you should pick a course that suits your strengths.  I was moderately fast in FL but it was rather boring overall as far as courses go.  I already get a flat/fast race every year with Eagleman and wanted something else to challenge me.

Haven't done AZ, so no reference there for me .......

2008-07-28 6:54 PM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
I am doing IMAZ in Nov 08 as it is local, but a couple of years ago i lived in Washington on the Idaho border and IMCDA was the big hit for that town - everyone that I know (granted not as many as you may know) loved that race except for the cold water.  I did the IM Boise 70.3 a couple of weeks before IMCDA this summer and it was great (and much cooler that AZ).   However, I am not a good enough swimmer to do well in 54* to 58* water, so I will take Tempe Town Lake in the 60*'s any day!
2008-07-28 10:02 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you going to be swimming in the Ohio river? There are some people who would fear this more than jellyfish

HA! Funny!

Oh, I swim in Texas lakes. They are gross. Beyond gross. You can't see your hand in front of your face.

So, I think I can take the Ohio river.
2008-07-28 10:11 PM

2008-07-29 4:40 AM

Expert
I know it's not an M dot but there is also Beach 2 Battleship - Nov., mild weather, fast bike course . . .Wilmington NC - what an amazing city - it's all good!
2008-07-29 5:32 AM
in reply to: #1566217

2008-07-29 7:32 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I have mentioned it before but will say again here. IMLP is a spectacular setting but the weather is so variable that it's a real crap shot what kind of day you get. IMFL weather seems pretty consistant but if the ocean swim is a non-starter for you, that's that. IMAZ is not a pretty course but it is VERY convenient in terms of layout, lodging, logistics, and the weather is really going to be the least of your concerns. One thing we can say is there is a next to zero chance of rain. I never understood people who had weather related concerns who would choose IMLP over IMAZ.
2008-07-29 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1566402

Champion
MA

katimomma - 2008-07-29 5:40 AM I know it's not an M dot but there is also Beach 2 Battleship - Nov., mild weather, fast bike course . . .Wilmington NC - what an amazing city - it's all good!

I have considered that one as well. I need to figure out weather norms for that time of year...closer to MA than FL.  Wind? humidity? I'll be reading and giving it more thought about it for sure after the race this year. How hard will it be to get into next year? It sold out pretty quickly this year and with M Dot races being harder to get into, might this one sell out fast in a day

The vibe of non M Dot race vs. M Dot race? Feel if you are BOPer? 500 vs 2300 people..more folks at end in larger race. 

My husband and I go round and round trying to figure out which is best, can I get in...everyone brings up good points...like Rick said LP is easier on kids as it is summer.. 

Local new IM distance race is labor day weekend and I could stay at home. We have a relay team this year so we'll check it out and consider it for next year. 

2008-07-29 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1566517

Champion
MA

bryancd - 2008-07-29 8:32 AM I have mentioned it before but will say again here. IMLP is a spectacular setting but the weather is so variable that it's a real crap shot what kind of day you get. IMFL weather seems pretty consistant but if the ocean swim is a non-starter for you, that's that. IMAZ is not a pretty course but it is VERY convenient in terms of layout, lodging, logistics, and the weather is really going to be the least of your concerns. One thing we can say is there is a next to zero chance of rain. I never understood people who had weather related concerns who would choose IMLP over IMAZ.

I'd pick rain or cool weather over heat any day..my body handles it better.

I can do ocean swims just not my favorite.

Training for the race IMAZ schedule wise is best given my goals and what the plan is to reach them.

Bryan, is there always wind? Does it vary a lot from day to day or season? 

IMAZ time of year with 5 kids is sort of tough with Thanksgiving being the following week. 3 younger ones we could take out of school as Thanksgiving week they only have 2 days of school but race week school wouldn't like it much.

2008-07-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1566527

Expert
KathyG - 2008-07-29 7:38 AM

katimomma - 2008-07-29 5:40 AM I know it's not an M dot but there is also Beach 2 Battleship - Nov., mild weather, fast bike course . . .Wilmington NC - what an amazing city - it's all good!

I have considered that one as well. I need to figure out weather norms for that time of year...closer to MA than FL.  Wind? humidity? I'll be reading and giving it more thought about it for sure after the race this year. How hard will it be to get into next year? It sold out pretty quickly this year and with M Dot races being harder to get into, might this one sell out fast in a day

The vibe of non M Dot race vs. M Dot race? Feel if you are BOPer? 500 vs 2300 people..more folks at end in larger race. 

My husband and I go round and round trying to figure out which is best, can I get in...everyone brings up good points...like Rick said LP is easier on kids as it is summer.. 

Local new IM distance race is labor day weekend and I could stay at home. We have a relay team this year so we'll check it out and consider it for next year. 

My husband is doing this year so I'll be the ironsherpa - I'll give you a full report! Generally Set-up does registration beginning Jan. 1 for all races so it might be that you have some time to mull it over. I'll be intereseted to see if they stick w/ that for B2B or if they go with reg. right after the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL vs IMAZ vs IMLP Rss Feed  

of 3